AGDG - Amateur Game Dev General

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Play Latest AGDG Demos (DDX)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Monogame: monogame.net/
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw
youtube.com/watch?v=FRygr9Bcj54
youtube.com/watch?v=6kfbcPh_8mc
youtube.com/watch?v=i0OnmhhFk9g
notdev.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why is Haxeflixel in the engines list? Nobody uses that crypto-ActionScript trash.

How do you feel about devs reusing over 60% assets from one game to it's sequel? Mostly character portraits and weapon/bullet sprites.
Too lazy?

>Canusposting

This will never get old

It's fine as long as the sequel has an equivalent amount of new content

How is it lazy? If you started from scratch every time you would hardly get anything done in your life. That's why sequels exist.

Post gamedev music
youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

I don't mind it if the sequel feels like it has more content overall. Like Dark Souls 2 reusing literally everything from DS1.

I'm warming up to it. It's original aggy meme

like just make cats

You mean DaS3? DaS3 is uninspired as fuck. DaS2 was a lot more original, but sucked because they didn't copy good stuff and instead reinvented bad stuff.

taking a trip to mars who's demo should I play

I'm talking about DS2 reusing assets and animations. It might have used them in more original ways (debateable) but they didn't remodel or retexture them in most cases.

DS3 atleast remodeled all the assets even if it reused the ideas. DS3 took more assets directly from Bloodborne than anything.

>uninspired as fuck

People always use that word but what the fuck do they even mean?

Are you saying it's uninspired because as a sequel there were similar environments? Stop the presses.

It reused some areas and the new areas looked amazing. It was the best looking entry in the series and a wonderful way to end it.

Reusing animations feels like it would be the most acceptable thing to reuse if they are appropriate. do you really need to make a new door opening character animation between games?

Obviously Fallout 4 is not a good example of it being fine to reuse them.

youtube.com/watch?v=FRygr9Bcj54

Fuck art.

Nicee

how easy is to make games with a software engineering degree?

MEME GAME
E
M
E

G
A
M
E

If your game were a city, from history or in present times, which city would it be?

>competent
>so much better than a game like this should be

That's high praise for a meme game

Im thinking of using some of the existing engines to make a fighting game

I will need a multiplayer capabilities
What engine can you guys recommend

>The enemy you are showcasing however has a problem from a design standpoint.
>It's overall silhouette is way too close to the characters. Their height and build is very similar. Could you try putting a spike on it's head or something?
Hm, did not think about that. The overall idea for the enemy is more or less based on the Pantheon enemy type from Mega Man Zero, who too are pretty similar to Zero in those games, proportions-wise. I'll try to tinker with it later and see what I can do. Things ain't final, after all.

As an aside, previously the enemy had the same kind of legs as the player character. Decided to change 'em to look more bulky so that the player character's ninja-like appearance would be unique to him.

I am working towards a software engineering degree.

>Are you saying it's uninspired because as a sequel there were similar environments? Stop the presses.

Sequels mix up the environments all the time. The issue is that a lot of Souls environments are heavily rely on the impact they have when you first reach them. Anor Londo was the first cityscape environment in the series and it had a huge impact on players because you spent the first half of the game in ruins, forests, and sewers. But in reality it's one of the weaker levels in that game in terms of geometry.

Dark Souls 3 doesn't have any level like that. Every single level feels like one from a previous game.

Atlantis

UE4

Has the easiest multiplayer implementation I've seen

Pompei

Is it possible to make a fun game?

youtube.com/watch?v=6kfbcPh_8mc

No but it's possible to manipulate the brain into compulsively forcing the player to play

>he too jumps straight on the lava
What the fuck

you've no idea the amount of burning jealously I'm feeling right now.

Why

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley feels very new and different, to just name one.

I've actually been playing Zero recently, and while I agree they do somewhat have a similar shape to zero I think to compensate they made them blue, whereas zero is red so no confusion is made. You could try to contrast the colors like that.

i-is that actually a game? I can't tell.

Do you consider pachinko a game?

>Abunai!

Yeah, also those enemies posture often times is a bit different. Zero is usually leaning forwards in-gameplay, while those enemies are mostly standing up right.

I did not want to make the enemy blue, but there's always green as a direct opposite to red (although another yet unused enemy type already uses that). I'll see about it.

I've watched 10 minutes of this and I still have no idea what is going on

Post your tumblr

1-4 - start map design
5-9 - movement
0 - succumb to the idea fairy and start a new project

This "game" might be more understandable
youtube.com/watch?v=i0OnmhhFk9g

OH OH OH MINE
Its about a colony ship heading to Proxima Centauri

Let me just fix a few things and upload it

notdev.tumblr.com/

i dunno, sanix won the meme lottery. a lot of people would probably like that spot.

how long can you have a loading screen before the player is going to assume the game is frozen?

Make a barely competent meme game and I'm sure you'll get the same attention.

I don't think it's a question of luck

Not really. It feels like Loyce and Dark Anor Londo.

And it demonstrates the problem well. They try to recreate the the Anor Londo reveal when you first see Irithyll but it doesn't have the same impact because the second area you see is also a huge cityscape.

10 seconds if you don't have anything moving on screen
1 minute if you do

>noninteractive loading screens
You are basically forcing the player to play the "sit there and do nothing" mini-game, why would you do this in 2016

question

I have a couritine and a double for ( for fuction inside a for fuction ) inside it. The courutine is yielded to do the loops once per frame ( yield and wait for fixedupdate ).

How can I make it work recursively? Do I just put a "StartCoroutine("MyCoroutine");" at the end of the courutine? It would be hard for me to check if it works, so wanted to ask.

you just have to make a meme game.
something that is just a big joke

Sorry everyone, i promised i'd learn devving today but i got called into work and only returned now(8 54pm), i'll try doing something in an hour or two.

>in an hour or two
Thanks for the update you fucking failure, start now or go play a game like the little piggy nodev you are

Made a post yesterday about a game idea I had for Tyrian meets FTL meets Path of Exile.

Started working on a mock-up, finished the menu today. I'll post some gameplay tomorrow.

yield return StartCoroutine(MyCoroutine());

Put in an animation at least you cheap fuck.

aight, thank you

UE4 doesn't let you do animated loading screens if you use OpenLevel.

hahahahahaha

Then don't use openlevel if your level is massive.

Why does it take so long to load?

I don't understand how anyone can fall for these gambling things.

>player A creates and owns the container
>player A lets player B access to the container
>player B puts his stuff in
>player A and B have a disagreement
>player A removes player B from the access to the container
>player B now keeps all A's stuff

Who's fault it is?
Option 1: A is at fault for stealing all B's stuff
Option 2: B is at fault for trusting A
Option 3: Game is at fault for allowing shared containers

It doesn't. It takes ~4 seconds.

Stream it in, then. Just show the animation and don't start the level until it's finished.

hhhhhnnnnnnnnno. nooooo.

it just. it's wrong.

i would rather a good game get spotlight because of it's sheer quality, rather than the meme potential. it just, instinctually feels gut-wrenching for me to go for the low-hanging fruit.

1 and 2.

It's only getting the memelight, not a real spotlight

why the fuck does player b keep the stuff if he lost access to the container?
In a world with out Law and Order Option 2, otherwise Option 1.
Also just give him back his stuff what is wrong with you

The second one as no cash value attached iirc. Basically you pay $10 or whatever, get tokens and win tokens. The house doesn't need an edge since if you hit the jackpot all you did was win more tokens to play with so the odds can be better. they make your money, you has a bunch of shiny lights and images makes you feel happy. win-win.

I've been drawing particles by sending four vertices each to the GPU, one by one.

My current plan to batch them is sorting the particle list by texture, calculating the start offset and number of each particle type, then putting their transformed positions and texture coords in a giant array of all possible particle data. At draw time, I do a single draw call for each particle type. Here's what I have so far.

The only issue I have is how to handle fading alphas of individual particles (say, from a smoke emitter).

There's definitely lessons to be learned in studying and understanding why it works on some people though. Pachinko, slots, coindozers with extras, they all are very low-input and don't engage people like us, but they definitely have an audience. Understanding how they hold pleb's attention can help you jazz up your games.

Gone Homo is another example, where there's very little to actually DO from a player perspective; walk in front door, open hidden staircase room, go to attic, find final monologue. But it has a bunch of people who bought and :played" it, because of the window dressing, trickling of story through non-essential notes and shit. As bad as it was, it needs to be studied, if only to make your own games use the best parts of it.

Load it asynchronously retard.

So what are those extra modules in Humble Bundle? Any reason to spend more than one buck?

can't do it senpai

From what I understand they are so good/addictive they get the elderly and such to actually buy the source material just to see what their pachinko machine's story/game/anime it is all about or material goods like figures, keychains etc.

Those options are mutually exclusive user.

>player B now keeps all A's stuff
I mean't
>player A now keeps all B's stuff

Sorry yeah, see above.
>just give him back his stuff
There is no way to verify his story since ownership of an item is not a universal thing.
If i start trusting any stolen claims, people might file bogus claims to steal stuff from people via a claim.

Can't or won't?

Too much work.

Either don't admin at all or have chat/item/whatever logs. If your game doesn't have a subscription I would just tell them they are shit out of luck.

I doubt it. Seems to me like you just have everything under one streaming volume, and play an animation until the level has finished loading.

"It's too much work" doesn't mean you can't do it, and there is no way async loading would be too much work.

Yeah that's right. I thought you were Player A and not an Admin. Player A should just stop being a dick then. wouldn't do anything if that's a one time thing. if complaints about A increase chastise him.
definitely B's fault for trusting then.

This is the greatest game ever played by the greatest let's player.

Using OpenLevel you can't play an animation while it is loading. That's fact m8.

And yes I know you can work around it using level streaming but that's a ton of work if your game wasn't designed around it in the first place.

We crudely visualized turn and burn now boys.

still pretty early. but it's an arcade-style rampage + blast corps. you can play as different animals mutants and each city gets harder and looks different from the previous

Designed around it? It can't be too difficult to put everything in the level in a single streaming volume.

holy shit. There's lots of people playing this.

>games are only one map
>the gamemode, game instance, player controllers, etc don't matter

jesus man

Just disable all that shit until the level is fully streamed?

>games are only one map

In the case of Unity yeah that's a best practice because loading scenes is dog slow, especially on phones.

UE4 spawns one gamemode, player state, etc per map. If you have a persistent map (for level streaming) then you can only use one game mode.

I get the impression I'm talking to someone who either doesn't use UE4 or doesn't understand how it actually works.

No, I don't use UE4, but I seriously doubt that it's that fucking hard to be able to play an animation while a level is loading.

brb kms

Like, why would you have to have a "persistent map" for streaming? Why can't you have separate maps that are streamed?

looking good

dont forget to make the things in his back change color when he uses the fire breath

progress. what do you guys think?

That's how UE4 works.