Custom Ordering

Do big manufacturers usually allow this?

Let's say I want a Mazda3, with the 2.5L from the highest spec model, but with the options from a base model. I can't do this in the website builder, but would it be possible to do it if I asked via email/phone?

yes

It depends. Some manufacturers might allow it, some might not.

No. They only offer a few configurations because that's what's profitable. The more choices you have the more expensive it is to produce. Taking up valuable assembly line time and space.

bullshit, unless it's some ass backwards company production is all computerised and it doesn't make any difference provided all the parts already exist

Always depends if its possible for them to do. But yes, you can ask them via mail or phone.

being polite and asking people with a bit of clout works wonders

If you're willing to pay a little extra for a special order they CAN do it for you, but finding a dealer who will play ball is the hard part.
My first car was a special-order 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo, so they still do it.

they're hiding the 2.5 in the luxury specs because they are Apple tier Jews.

they know that everyone would get the 2.5 for whatever the price increase is over the 2.0. you are paying the Xenon headlamp tax.

it's very common to hide things you want / need with shit you don't and make you pay for both.

BACK IN THE DAY WE COULD
You went to the dealer, talked to some bitch ass dude who was all like "pls buy the car I'm being nice to you", you asked for the options, you ticked what you wanted, and you got it.

It's still possible afaik but you need to talk to the proper manager and not just the sales person, make the order, put some down payment, and then wait like months.

At the same time, waiting and going through options list will leave you basically at the same price as the upper trim model already specced.
So, unless you want to avoid a special feature you dislike in upper trim (say, touch screen shit) just buying it as is tends to be faster and cheaper.

I work for a CDJR dealer. You can factory order what you want -- to an extent.

There are certain configurations that aren't possible to build. For example, you can't option a 6.4L HEMI in a base-model Charger SE, or a color-matched hard top on a 23b package Wrangler.

Why the limitations?
Is there practical or simply arbitrary reasons why one can't?

I'm pretty sure it's still a thing, though your options aren't as extensive as they were in say, the 60's.

Practical reasons and arbitrary reasons both.

In the motor example, it requires entirely different motor mounts, transmission upgrades, cooling system upgrades, etc. It's cost-prohibitive.

In the top example, Jeep reserves the color-matched hard tops for Sahara trim levels and higher -- it's one of the "draws" of buying a Sahara over a Sport, the option for color-matched hard top.

If you could option a vehicle exactly how you want it, why would they have different trim levels at different price points in the first place?

Funny, I dislike the Sahara spec so much due to the leather and matched hard tops and fenders/bumpers that we ended not buying a Jeep again (or any FCA, due to the lack of an attractive mid sized suv).

I wouldn't mind something like this.

I wonder if you get get an OEM Euro-spec ECU which would add like 8hp.

>I wonder if you get get an OEM Euro-spec ECU which would add like 8hp.
Nope.

>OP can't haggle the dealership
Just buy a Tesla lol

In practice, no. I custom ordered a Mazda3 last fall and they couldn't handle any combinations that weren't on their website.

Money. They've set up their manufacturing plant to build some number of combinations, and it would require either some reprogramming or personal attention to build a combo that isn't on that list. A luxury car maker might be willing to take the time to do it, but only at the highest price ranges. Those of us who'd like to order a RWD BMW 3-series wagon with a stick, for example, are out of luck.

Sometimes you can blame regulations, because engine and transmission combos all have to be tested separately, but it's mostly about keeping manufacturing and marketing simple.

I'm really happy with the 3s GT 6MT, if that helps any.

unless youre buying from mercedes or bentley etc(cars that have options for custom exterior colors or interior trims) and youre paying extra then no, most high volume dealers will take your request that is within limits(a car that they have already made) i,e. a v6 accord silver m/t coupe and find that accord wherever they delivered it and relocate it to your dealer. they will not custom manufacture a car for you but the

Many options are installed after the fact with the big brands. When I was at Toyota they did everything from add sunroofs to changing over to leather interiors on cars that were already delivered to the dealership. You really had to push the dealership to have stuff like that done from what I understood.

A Toyota dealer?

The work wasn't done at the dealership, there is a regional center that performs work like that. What I never found out is whether it's only for Toyota/Lexus/Scion or if they are farming out the work to a place that does other brands. We did install some small options at the dealership, like leather wrapped steering wheels and alarms, that weren't on the cars from the factory.

>Soul Red with Appearance Package
fuck, my brain says "that's a waste of money"
but my dick says YES

thats all crap the dealer sells......totally different from what im talking about

Thanks. Yeah, total waste of money but I felt like if I was going to buy a new car I'd get it the way I wanted. Either spend $10k and not care, or $27k and be 100% happy. I didn't see any used cars that had everything I wanted in a family car, so I just went with this one. Could be sportier, but I'm happy with it.

I'm sure the GT is fine, but 29k is pretty steep for me. Not to mention all the extras add weight.

Was kind of hoping to save a few grand to drop on Corksport mods, since I hear they make good Mazda stuff.