New Cars

The idea of being the first and only owner of a vehicle is very appealing to me. Getting exactly what I want, modding it how I want, treating it how I want, and not having to worry about what the previous owner did or didn't do sounds nice. Is buying new really that much of a ripoff?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14228818/#q14228818
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is buying new really that much of a ripoff?
It's pretty bad in terms of depreciation, even more so if you plan on "modding it how I want". You'd be much better off buying something ~2 years old coming off lease if you're looking for a newer car.

That said, it's no worse an expense than the other things people throw their disposable income at. If having a new car is something that you'll enjoy and you can afford it, go for it.

>Is buying new really that much of a ripoff?
-Is it an econobox car like a Civic/Corolla/Accord/camry or similar? Then yes

-Is a car you plan on keeping less than 5 years? Then Yes

-Is it something you want to modify? Then Yes

Buying a new car CAN make financial sense, but like anything else, it depends on the situation. Some of those might be:

-A car you plan on keeping 10+ years (again, buying used would probabaly still be a better deal, but it's not a total rippoff if its a car you plant to keep long term)

-A car where you would want a very specific color/options combo that would be far easier ordering new than hoping to find used

-Any type of car that becomes difficult to find unmolested in the used market after af ew years

-Taking advantage of a model year closeout sale where you might be able to get a lower price on a new example of the outgoing model than a similar used example

-You are hopeless impractical person who needs to be propped up by a warranty/service packages you can buy with a new a car

Again, as a general rule, something that's a couple years old, in decent shape, and that has already taken it's largest depreciation hit is going to be your best bet, but you should always evaluated a car purchase in the context of your own personal financial situation

to add to this, depreciation is really only something you should consider if you're aiming to get a good deal on the car when you trade it in or sell it private party after a short period of time.

if you keep the car and maintain it over a long time (10 years+), you'll probably care less about the couple thousand saved that long ago.

i'm guessing you'll look back and be appreciative that you did buy new

Bunta bought new, twice

LPG, when do we get a new tales from the dealership thread?

and then it gets rear ended by some cunt catching pokemans and never feels or looks quite right again. maybe stolen and joyrided by some junkie who smokes weed in it and you never get the smell out.

you cant have nice things, stop trying to have nice things.

The first one is quite likely, but the second? Sorry you live in Detroit buddy

Yep, listen to LPG, OP. The man knows of what he speaks. I recently bought a new 2015 Avalon Touring with 12 miles on it. I was actually looking at used, but the stealership had had this car on the lot for a year and couldn't sell it. No idea why. It's pearl white with black and grey interior. Nothing amiss with it. They saw I was interested and I ended up getting it for 2k more than a used one with 30k miles already on it. I plan to drive it til it dies, which hopefully won't be for a long time.

Buying a new car, its like you don't even like sitting in a petri dish of other people's facies, mucus, spit and spunk.

>couple thousand saved that long ago.

It's a lot more than that, pal. If you buy off a two year lease you're looking at a good 10-20k off sticker price even if you're buying a Truck or something like a Lexus.

>smokes weed and you never get the smell out
You're kidding right? Weed airs out in 10 minutes flat

>tales from the dealership thread

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14228818/#q14228818

>Weed airs out in 10 minutes flat

Can a used car affect your life negatively in unexpected ways?

No it doesn't. The sniffer dogs will sense it for a very long time. It takes a lot of work to get rid of it. You have to remove the seats and clean them with flow through.

You don't want your used car staining your reputation if you have the bad luck of getting pulled over by a K9 unit. You never smoked weed, but the prior owner did. Unfortunately, the police file now has your "suspected of weed usage" logged into the commentary block. A homeland security clearance check would turn that up because they also look at commentaries by police officers about you and not just your conviction record.

No. That's not how this works, and they wouldn't log shit unless you're literally the heatiest motherfucker. Go be a lame-o somewhere else

>He thinks probable cause dogs actually detect weed instead of minorities their handlers don't like

People already mentioned good points, but emotionally, it's pretty cool to own your own car with the specs you checked, and driven from 0km until death/sold just the way you do and like to do.

Some cars are easier on you new since cost of regular service and fixing dead shit and old mpg, is either almost equal, equal, or on par with selling/trading and getting new again with warranty, cheaper services (or "free" services, like for luxury brands), and better mpg.

It's case by case basis though. I'd never buy a civic new, but I'd never buy an used german saloon from the last few years.

>-You are hopeless impractical person who needs to be propped up by a warranty/service packages you can buy with a new a car
I mostly agree with all the post except this.
It obviously depends on the marque, some cover warranty and service better than others.
It also makes sense if:
You're not mechanically inclined (I'd like to believe everyone in Veeky Forums is though).
You don't have a place or time where/when you can work on your car (not everyone has a garage or time for it)

All the other points are great though, I have made tables for the last purchases my family has made, and since they go through cars slower than most (think the avg is 3 years in our area, and they do 7+) after a few years of ownership it makes no difference what you get, +/- a few things which will make you go for used or new.
The difference in price is either 0 or in favour of one or another depending on the condition you bought a car used, the troubles it gives you, gas mileage improvement, etc.

I might add.
It depends on where you live, but taxes and accounting stuff as a business might make it simpler (not necessarily better) to buy new.

>He thinks probable cause dogs actually detect weed instead of minorities their handlers don't like

That's certainly one of the complaints Black Lives Matter has brought up.

I bought new gt86 more then half year ago. When I see how other ppl treat this car I wouldnt recommend to buy this car used. They will propably sell their cars after 5-10 years.

The new AE86 in spirit and reality. Cheap drift sleds a decade or so into their lifetime.

>When I see how other ppl treat this car I wouldnt recommend to buy this car used.

You can still check out its service history on carFax to see if it had regular maintenance.