/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

It's dead, Jim! edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

dead game

Bump

>We've returned from the sequence of journeys! Here are recordings of the streams from the two tracks at the Roguelike Celebration: Room 1, Room 2. Direct link to our talk. Schedule to help you navigate.

There are a lot of B12 tasks piled up to unbury ourselves from, but we should be getting back to work toward the artifact release again soon.

The actual df part is around 4:50 in while they link they gave is like 4:38?

how do I find the underworld

how do I pick shit up in Adventure mode without it going into my hands so i cant use my shield?

You don't, you just put the items away after picking them up.

Cavern 1 can be accessed by any surface cave (dark grey rough stone) or from MOST dwarf fortress sites, and some older goblin sites. The other cavern levels can be found by downward passages or by climbing down a chasm.

be aware that navigating the underground cave levels is a fucking nightmare, not only because you can't fast travel outside of underground roads, but also because if you ever need to sleep you're likely to be ambushed by predators.
predators the size of fucking elephants.

don't even think about trying to access hell in a pure adventure mode game either. though you can access it by finding an original goblin site and entering the keep the demon used as its throne.

> most dwarven sites
correction: most dwarf FORTRESS sites, and only those fortresses which have an underground connection to other fortresses or to deep-dwarf mountain sites.

'p'ut the item into your inventory.
also you should probably consider pressing the "strap wielded items to body" button so you don't go around with your sword and shield out all the time. the NPCs are programmed to take offense to strangers holding equipped weapons.

Well, if you find one of the demonic underworld spires you can usually get down into hell and drop the whole thing.

can someone please explain to me how fortress and adventure mode mix in with each other? It sounds really interesting but I dont get it.

They're two different ways to play in the world you generate.

what do you guys think of gnomoria? this is not bait, honest question. have you ever play any df clone? did you like it?

While you play a fort, history keeps taking place around your embark, and while you play an adventurer your fort keeps trundling along doing what it do.

Please insert reaction image expressing approbation here.

>you can usually get down into hell and drop the whole thing.
No, YOU can. Other people, especially someone who's asking how to find the underworld, might have a bit of trouble trying something like that.

post rare toadies

You don't gotta be a superventurer to do it from hell. Surving afterwards though...

would you people fuck off with your shitty memes already

One layer aquifer.
I need to get through it.
I'm not gonna use a collapse to cover it.
Is there a way to do it without pumps?

Pumps, collapses, and ice are the only means I know of for getting through aquifers.

>ice
Can you dig through ice?
If not, I have no idea how this works.

>no fun allowed

Yes, you can dig through ice as though it were stone, or at least you could last I checked, and I'm fairly sure it hasn't changed. The aquifer water won't freeze unless it's exposed to the sky though, and then only if the weather is cold enough in that spot. Just be careful to prepare for when it thaws, if it will.

fun is perfectly okay
shitty memes are not

stay mad, autismo

Hey /dfg/ does anyone know or have access to raws for dragonkin?

Sometimes you just want to wrestle a dragon as a dragonkin.

Okay, so.

Good news: I got through the aquifer and into the caverns.
Bad news: I accidentally broke a wall that did not have a floor above it, and now the aquifer is pouring into said caverns.

byebye framerate

Did you do a cave-in in adventurer mode to do it? Well done!

how do undig?

Hit the Φ key.

Spireslaying is the real framerate killer, an aquifer in adventurer mode is just comedy.

I assumed we were talking about fortress mode. How did you do that as an adventurer?

I've been playing since early 2008 and this honestly is the first time I've ever seen this happen.

You've never had microcline in 8 years?

Microcline? Never heard of it. Must be a rare mineral.

What the fuck is microcline

>Did you do a cave-in in adventurer mode to do it?
Originally, I was doing this.
Then I got bored and felt it would be more fun to do the mining manually with advfort and a pickaxe.

>How did you do that as an adventurer?
I broke the wall that allowed the aquifer to flood using advfort.

Yep, though I barely touched DF from early 2011 to mid 2014 and now that I think of it, I've made a lot of aboveground forts.

>aboveground forts.

Build a wall over something so it has no other support > drop the wall > punch a hole through thin floors in caverns and shit.

If you're a flying race you can find a minecart and use a reaction to make uh, 413 units of water in the cart, then drop it to make an ice floor hanging in mid-air. If you do more water or drop water again you can freeze yourself into an ice wall, gotta be 5.0+ speed to do that remotely safely, fair warning.

The hanging ice floors will sit there until melted or you save/load the map again, which lets you precision cut things before building, or clear magma for building on, it's one of the tricks I use for volcano tube homes.

This is in 43.05 though, no advfort yet.

Finally fell!

Did the last thread die because it was so dead?

>laptop dies
>decide to go all out
>buy expensive as fuck "gaming PC"
>try all the cool AAA titles I've been missing out on
>for a few hours
>a week after the initial purchase I'm back playing df but now on an expensive computer

I'm not sure how to feel about this

DF is for high end PCs.

You did the right thing.

Yeah I'm kinda realizing that, FPS death takes much longer to set in and world creation is surprisingly fast, also I'm experiencing less crashes, it's good.
Could've spent less on a video card if I knew AAA shit wouldn't hold my attention for longer than 3 hours.

Yea but, what if you suddenly wana play a AAA title?
It's nice to have to possibility.

I'm posting bote until toad adds boats and we can have fishing in the game

But we do have fishing.

I just dont understand what made them stack all their things around the edge instead of literally anywhere else.

But we don't have CAVE PIRATES.

If you die in adventure mode, do you die in real life?

The body cannot live without the adventurer.

What starting professions is more suitable for 1x1 fort?

>gandalf means magic elf

>Tavern brawl in my above ground inn
>Human hammerman vs an elf consort
>Human beats the shit out of elf
>He eventually applies to join my fortress
>Happily accept
>He lives in one of the rooms of my tavern in a solo squad
>Equip him with a mix of leather and iron and train him in wrestling
>He is my new tavern bouncer

I remember reading the story of Bravemule before even knowing about dwarf fortress. A few years later when I did discover the game, I went back and read it again. Pretty cool feeling to find context to what looked like a really cool game/story.

That image makes me sad

Do you a think that in a high magic world we could be plump helmets living in a giant plump helmet floating on a sea of galactic plump juice?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

>Do you a think
Are you Italian?

Oh damn I hope not. I can drive a car without swearing.

I'm back. And
>That's just what happens when the site is mostly populated with a certain race
was wrong, else this would be a goblin fortress

Anyway; that was the only site the civ ever had, so it's ded...
But, the few dwarves I talked with speak of occupation and of it being for the best.
Is there anyway I can free this fort and restore the civ?

Ich bin ein Zwerg
Und ich bin ein Loch graben
diggy diggy Loch
ein Loch graben

benis

Answer you cucks

Welp.
Epic rapper 2Bone is now king.

I have a problem in adventure mode. I want to slay monsters but when I go to their lair, no one is ever present. I have waited long times but nothing seems to change and this reoccurs on almost every lair I visit. How do I even find these monsters?

I've been playing since 2012 and literally all of my embarks have had microcline.

Have you ever considered that by invading their homes with the sole purpose to slay them, you were the real monster all along?

But would we grow dwarves and brew them into wine?

Every night.

How old is your world?

Looks good

>playing in a good biome
>not paying attention to combat logs because my hunters are killing unicorns
>suddenly get message that one of my fisherdwarfs is dead
>check combat logs
>it's pages and pages of my fisherdwarf punching the shit out of a unicorn
>unicorn gets tired of his shit and stabs him in the head
>2nd fisherdwarf jumps into the river in terror and promptly drowns.

My fisherdwarfs are idiots. I am glad they are dead.

nd fisherdwarf jumps into the river in terror and promptly drowns.
kek

Fisherdwarves probabaly have higher mortality rates than chained dogs.

Newest possible.

Only 5 years? Then it's down to bad luck with world activation. Beasties don't just idly wait for you in their lairs 24/7. They roam around, terrorizing the countryside.

If you want an ever-present threat, find a necromancer tower. There's always loads of zombies and usually only one of the necromancers wanders out at a time.

That human on my fortress map was a bandit, he jumped my wagon befor I could even deconstruct it. Luckily I brought 5 puppers with me. The pupper that got him is very injured, pray for my pupper /dfg/

Should I be worried?

I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned over.

Why the fuck does my military not go and all pick up all the copper shit I made for them?

They leave like nearly all of it, and all of the breastplates.

Then I walked into the caverns, slipped into a pool and drowned.
Such is life.

Is playing as animal people worth it?

is their uniform set to metal

Make sure their uniform's are metal and you chose "replace clothing" instead of "over clothing" in the equipment screen

How do I kill a Hydra in adventure mode? That sounds pretty menacing task.

Stab it until it dies

T-Thanks

Glad I could help

Are they actually hard to kill now? They were fairly easy in older versions, back when they didn't have 7+ simultaneous attacks. Pretty much any well-trained military dorf could kill a hydra 1vs1 in advfort mode.