AGDG - Amateur Game Dev General

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Play Latest AGDG Demos (DDX)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Monogame: monogame.net/
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bmpLf3QPdB4
youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Last time, on AGDG.

youtube.com/watch?v=bmpLf3QPdB4

trying to make all objects with obj_enemy as their parent move away from each other when they occupy the same space. how would i do this?
this is the code i have for it currently, and i cant see why it's not working. gml btw

>literally starving but can't stop devving to go to the store

post address and I'll send you pizza

Post female MCS and receive badly drawn lewd while I practice drawing

I'm trying to make it so the wireframe in the minimap is all the same color. When I load the level, I loop through all static meshes, set bOverrideWireframeColor = true, and then set WireframeOverrideColor to gray. This doesn't seem to do anything at all. However, if I set the override color in the editor (as shown in the webm), it works fine.

I have no idea why it's not working, and printing out Epic's GetWireframeColor() return value is giving me my custom color. It's just not rendering that color for some reason.

The reason I want this is so that the colors don't give away hidden doors, and when you cast Master-level Wizard's Eye, I can add the color back in as a bonus.

no self-respecting dev would solicit lewds of their characters
you gotta find them yourself

Generic enemy, not main character but people have wanted loods the past few times I've posted her.

what is hsp? and what does sign do?

Also, if you want other people to look at your code, make it not disgusting. Those braces made my stomach turn.

She's wearing only a scarf there's no need to make her any lewder

i think your usage of "other" might be wrong

where is the script being run from?

My MC is pure. PURE

i mean, why not

>brew water in teapot
>let teabag steep
>forget about it while coding
>tea is now cold and fucked up

I'm just going to drink it, turn the kettle off, brush/floss/rinse and then go to bed.

Thanks for the latenight company /agdg/ I love you guys no homo.

Here have my most prized pic from a Veeky Forums thread where a teacher posted his D&D clubs characters.

please don't make me want to fuck a pig

ok false alarm, I figured it out
you need to mark the mesh as dirty so the renderer refreshes all of its values, or else it won't redraw with the new parameters. now I feel silly for posting on the UE forums and then figuring it out 5 minutes later. but to be fair I was stuck on this for like 2 hours before I posted

I like the effect though. Pretty neat. UE by default colors static geometry blue and moveable geometry purple, which is why the doors are different colored. I'll leave it for now, but if I want to make it more advanced I can manually assign colors to each mesh type.

Alright, I bought it now. I don't know why, or if I will ever use it. But it's so cheap that I just needed to buy it.

I think the biggest hurdle is, to get comfortable with the workflow and the gui of game maker.

And there is this fear, that it restricts me too much, and the invested time in the program was not worth it.

I like JRPGs and I like Multiplayer Coop Games. So my game would go in this kind of direction.

Does this multiplayer plugin for Game Maker work well?

hsp decides directly the x value of the object. sign just returns if the value is positive (1), negative (-1) or neutral (0).

the obj_enemy, the parent object of all enemies.

Can I post MCs from other devs' games?

Seeing this just made me realise how badly I want a game like Larn in first person where you can fireball to blow walls away.

In Dungeon Master you can hack down wooden doors with weapons, but I'm pretty sure fireballs just explode and hurt you. It's probably the closest you'll get, though.

Ok so what does place_meeting() do?

If they occupy the same space doesn't that mean their x coordinates will be the same? therefore sign() will return 0 and hsv doesn't change.

place meeting checks if they overlap, but their x value is a specific line in the center

Do it.

if you debug by just using print statements, you should be ashamed of yourself

instead of that, maybe do this:
i=instance_place(x,y,obj_enemy)
if i {hsp += sign(x-i.x)}

If you have a CS degree that never covered proper debugging, then your education has failed you and you need to write a stern letter to the head of your CS dept.

People who say that debug with print statement 100% of the time because it's convenient as fuck as long as it's kept to a decent ammount..

I also occasionally draw boxes and circles I guess.

"If you have a CS degree...your education has failed you."

How the fuck else do you suggest I debug my batch script engine, asshole?

i debug by playing sound effects

Ok I downloaded some Game Maker source codes. Why are the "Rooms" all black with little blue dots and red question marks?

setting up conditional breakpoints and stepping through the code

You're not going to learn from reading the source code from games, I know it sounds like a good idea but sadly it isn't

would be generating the rooms via GML

its good passive debug to see whats going on in your program.

you should have a lot of debug info printing, helps detect and solve quick bugs.

diving in with the debugger is of course much faster when you have an actually bug you're trying to fix, but print statements are good for verifying things.

>print statements for debugging
>ever
I guess this is "Amateur" Game Development

is anyone here even making a lewd game? i only see 3 when i should be seeing 200

WHY DONT YOU SEE MY DICK

arcade ahri seems fun

I did use GDB once but most of the time good old cout suffices.

nice try :^>

I dont have a good low scope lewd idea

playd it it alright

its okay, its not lewd

This Just pick the ones that your dick likes and draw them. I'm pretty sure most people here will appreciate it.

Give me ideas for enemies that would be easy to draw at very low resolutions and completely top down.

snakes

JUICE

>completely top down
ya fucked up

LEARN TO FUCKING AIM

Tank

completely top down removes personality, you need to LOOK YOUR ENEMY IN THE EYE.

but to answer your question - look at any animal much shorter than a human. from our perspective they're already top down.
so giant insects, basically.

wow, bad aim, cowe!

youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU

If you could say one thing to yourself before you picked up deving, what would it be?

Nicee

Its better than nothing

thanks buddy im proud of that post

That's not always the optimal way to debug.

>doing difficult things you aren't good at

I think you probably should change the eyes and mouth a bit if you don't want to get called out for mimicking Shantae sprites too much.

Top down is necessary in my case.

bombs added and working properly.

>

nope

can you make that kind of lighting system at gamemaker ?

I never looked too much at moths, but after all the moths that have been posted here as reference for the moth game I actually realized how beautiful they are and started paying more attention to them. Thanks I guess.

Doesn't seem like something you couldn't do with shaders in Game Maker.

Sure
Unity has it built in though

i guess he has top down syndrome

ba dum tss

Yeah

of course, that's ez.
the hard part is when you want light to react to walls. although that's still doable.

lol

Blend modes. Pretty simple stuff.

It is. It's a pseudo-3D top down shooter that just wouldn't work if I tried to make it more isometric.

YAA BOI

kek

here you go user

that hat is fucked but I like what you did with the chest

Good job

It's finished! Fucking finally and it's just a running animation. Jump, attack and "stealth walk" are WIP, not posting those yet as there's a lot of work on those still. I probably won't do a stopping animation as there isn't enough time for fancy stuff like that.

I still have to animate at least one human enemy and main antagonist. It takes so much time holy shit. not to mention I still haven't finished a single character portrait, not sure if I should do full res character portraits or make those pixel-art as well.

Saved

whats wrong with her mouth, also, what kind of game is this?

Is great, but as other anons said you really should chage the face. Not only is a direct rip of Shantae's it looks pretty shitty compared to the rest of the sprite. Come one user give it a try, you can do better.

>not sure if I should do full res character portraits or make those pixel-art as well.
It depends on how big the native resolution of the game will be.

Hey that's a pretty big improvement over your last WIP, good work

Why do they keep turning their head/body when they run? Looks really weird.

Beautiful.

For better showing off a face.

It's kinda bad framing to have the character always looking off to the side.

I'm not pretending it's great or that I didn't base it on shantae. It's literally first time I'm doing art for a game(except for simplistic programmer art) so cut me some slack. Thanks for the input though, I'll try to change it when there's time. I need to work on code now though.

It's going to be a 2d stealth + environmental puzzle(think tomb raider 1/2/3) game about cute and slightly lewd indiana jones kinda archaelogist girl who's finding treasures, raiding tombs and fighting nazis. I'm trying to find a way to fight enemies but to make it really risky and difficult so that there's real incentive to sneak that's not just "you get more points for sneaking".

It's totally inspired by Shantae and I used Shantae sprite sheets to help me with animation otherwise this wouldn't look half as decent as it does. Literally first time I animated anything and I'm pretty new to pixel art as well.

pixel platformer with female protagonist.

From last thread:

> 155280173▶
> is this another "we've done months of work so we can post in the span of a week so we can farm attention for our upcoming kickstarter" whodev

I did this in 3 hours. The idea has been rolling around for years though.

I will be gearing up for a kickstarter though in the next month or two.

Any more critique and comments are appreciated. I will see if I can get some gameplay up this evening.