Saving Gas Driving A Stick

What methods are there to save gas while driving a stick shift?

Short shift. DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THAT POWER BAND YOU NIGGER!

Not creep, let there be a gap in traffic before moving forward.

Keep my car well maintained.

keep the rpm low you should be able to drive without passing 3000 rpm
it's a lot of little thing

you can downshift when you see car in front of you coming to a stopand just roll slowly until you stop

try to have a steady speed when you're driving

cruise at low speed in high gear
exemple 4th or 5th gear for 50 kph etc

On the highway get up to about twice as fast as you want to go, then stick it in neutral and shut off the engine. When you lose the speed turn it back on and repeat.

Prepare for serious MPG gains

that's pretty dangerous if you need to do an emergency stop

turning off the engine is beyond retarded, although if you are going down the hill shifting into neutral and just coasting on that speed for a bit saves on gas since your foot isn't on the pedal for a while.

Just go the fuck on, you worthless poor nigger. Some of us have somewhere to be.

Bumpin for more

> you can downshift when you see car in front of you coming to a stopand just roll slowly until you stop
anyone know why this saves fuel compared to say, being in neutral? like on a mechanical level?

For max mpgs I go into what I call truck mode. I'll shift at or below 1500 rpm.

My car is a 6 cylinder so I pretend I'm driving a big rig.

if you're going downhill just put in high gear and engine brake you will consume less fuel than in neutral since your engine won't need fuel to stay on

well in neutral or with the clutch in your engine need fuel to stay on

shift every 1500rpm

Don't bother stopping it's a waste of gas
Not only does turning off the engine save you TONS of gas, you travel without putting milage on the odo. That resale value!

Shortshift and use throttle sparingly

that's true better crash and die with a full tank of gas than live with an empty one
and if you have hydraulic power steering you might loose that too

Don't fucking downshift if you know you're going to stop. Just throw it in neutral and use your brakes. Brake pads are a lot cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch.

What kind of mileage do you just get when aiming for fuel economy?

Got 37MPG city out of a 2009 Lancer GTS

Basically go 55 mph, coast down hills to a certain extent, and keep the rpm as low as you can.
I have actually gotten 32 mph in my 5.0 Mustang on the highway and 26 in the city using 6th gear at 45 mph.

>32mph

Yep, sounds about right for a 5.Slow

>mph
Meant mpg obviously.

>keep the rpm low you should be able to drive without passing 3000 rpm
Not necessarily, and it also depends on the car. Having shit mileage all the way up to 60MPH because you're shifting before hitting your torque is a lot worse for mileage than getting to your cruise speed immediately and cruising with max MPG from there on out.

>purposely bogging down your engine
What is with this board tonight

downshifting doesn't wear out a clutch unless you're really fucking up

it'll wear out synchros if anything, but also only if you're bad at it

>tfw can't get more than 26 mpg on a Mazda 3 even if I baby it.

this is the real answer
the neutral coasting retards here are wrong

>falling for bait AND being completely wrong
Please never post here again

I heard you may as well go WOT (as long as you shortshift) because all that does is let in more air, and fuel usage is based mostly on RPM. Is that wrong?

the ecu will inject more fuel if more air is coming in

focus st I get about 27 with a good mix of highway/city. even short shifting and driving slow in city i get stuck at 22 city only. fucking sucks
32 for straight cruising

You use zero gas coasting in gear.

It's about load, not RPMs.

if your engine is bogged it'll sound like it's bogged

Okay good to know. So assuming you accelerate at about the same speed, which would be more fuel efficient: going WOT and short shifting, or going halfish throttle but shifting at 5-6k

When you coast down to a light, take the car out of gear and turn the engine off. Put it back into gear and kick the clutch to start it back up.

>transmission in neutral, no gas, engine using as to idle but not driving wheels
>transmission in gear, no gas, engine not using gas as wheels are driving engine

lol

Draft big rigs.

This. It's the same reason why aircraft climb almost to space, and then glide back down to almost the ground with the engines off, before climbing again. Serious mpgs.

The ECU will detect that there is no throttle applied and that the engine is a certain amount above idle and will shut off fuel injection in response as the wheels will keep the engine turning.

Coasting in neutral means that fuel must be burned to keep the engine idling as it isn't driven by the wheels.

This is the best answer

shift from 1st to 4th

>he can't afford fuel

AFAIK you should be selecting the highest possible gear at cruise.

non-Skyactive? I feel ya

Pulse and glide