Decide to change own oil like Veeky Forums said

>Decide to change own oil like Veeky Forums said
>wasted 3 hours of my day
>burned both hands
>stripped oil pan nut
>car fell off ramps first time around, broke coil spring
>garage floor covered in oil stains
>oil pressure light came on right after starting car again

fuck all of you who suggested this. I hope you all die painful deaths.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15224860/#q15224860
buysinopec.com/collections/passenger/products/5w30-full-synthetic-motor-oil-55-gallon-drum
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I'm incompetent: The post

Also b8

Changing your oil is one of the easiest things you can do to your car, right behind changing the little pine tree air freshener you incompetent fuck up of a human being. You literally have to remove a single bolt, then unscrew two giant objects that are impossible to miss.

eat shit

> stripped oil pan bolt
You managed to strip a bolt with a 17mm head that was almost surely installed well lubricated. Next time clean the threads before install

> 3 hours
> fell off stand
> spilled oil
This is a troll.

I just get my mechanic to change my oil for $30. Tht's worth not having to do it myself including buying the oil.

> coolant hose leak
> identify it within minutes
> buy 10 inch length of generic correct width hose for change
> fix within an hour

I understand if its your first time working on your car, but 3 fucking hours holy shit

the hardest thing is normally the oil filter and thats because its either in a awful position or stuck in there real good.

Ive been doing this shit since i was 12 its not hard

Takes me 30 mins max and thats usually with a filter as well.

Transfercases, gearbox and diff are a pita though

Why the fuck are you even here if you're that bad at doing the most basic maintenence item on your car?

10/10, I mad.

>not making a day of doing your oil
>not putting your babe up on a lift
>not taking each tire off and inspecting your suspension and brakes
>not checking all the tires while the oil is draining
>not inviting your dudes over to chill and BS about cars with
>not using the oppertunity of dirtyness being around your baby to wash it
>not taking your sweet ol time as you clean the car
>that satisfying feeling when you know all the maintinence is done
>and the car looks great
>my
>fucking
>face
>when

>own an ugly shitbox to DD bought for less than 2k
>wash it when I feel like it
>do bare minimum maintenance otherwise
>tfw

>bitching about changing oil
you dont belong here, come talk when you have to deal with frozen/seized brake pins and brake piston while also dealing with rusty bolts on a 22 year old car THEN maybe you can somewhat complain. until then man up and git gud

dat savings

>bitching about brakes
you dont belong here, come talk when you have to deal with intermittent no-start on a 30 year old German Mechanical fuel injection system THEN maybe you can somewhat complain. until then man up and git gud

:^)

>implying i was bitching
and also
>owning an old german car

>Be Me
>Takes the bait

>Decide to change own oil like Veeky Forums said
Good always better to do your own work if you can.
>wasted 3 hours of my day
But it shouldn't take nearly that long, unless you are including driving out to go get the parts
>burned both hands
Wait what? Why would you do it when it was still that hot?
>stripped oil pan nut
Sometimes those fuckers are on their tight from previous owners/iffylub
>car fell off ramps first time around, broke coil spring
How? did you forget the parking brakes? You are lucky you didn't get crushed.
>garage floor covered in oil stains
That can happen, use kitty litter.
>oil pressure light came on right after starting car again
Well check your seals make sure you arn't leaking, then your fluids. After that might want to get yourself a replacement sensor.

COME BACK TO ME WHEN YOU HAVE DESIGNED BUILT AND WON YOUR FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP WITH YOUR OWN SELF FUNDED F1 TEAM FAG DO THAT THEN YOU CAN COME BACK ON HERE

how are garages able to sell oil changes for really low prices, such as $30? It doesn't make sense; oil itself is around 50 dollars, more or less.

I hate differentials. Oil takes years to drain. Gotta wait until its cpean or oil will come between gasket and cover. Hotta scrape off old gasket real good. Sand it down. Put gasket, and hold fucking cover to pumpkin while you try to put in 10-15 bolts into place. Gear oil smells like shit. Fuck diffs man

>he fell for the change his own oil meme

What a cuck my man

>transfer case actuator seal leak on muh 'yota GX
>dealer wants $1800 to change one $4 O-ring and a $15 oil seal
>"sir the transfer case must be removed and disassembled to get to those O-rings"
>can picture the dumbest of fucks speeding through this to fuck my shit up
>NOPE
>for that money fuck that
>buy O-rings and oil seal online
>remove transfer case actuator by unscrewing it electrically with a 9v battery
>change O-ring and oil seal in 15 mins
>reassemble and screw transfer case actuator back on
>play with transfer switch and adjust actuator until it works properly
>mfw saved $1781
>tfw the job was done right

Having a garage is truly a blessing

They use really cheap oil and they get discounts. And oil isn't $50 you're on crack. Not even full synthetic is that much
> Inb4 royal meme oil

>>wasted 3 hours of my day
how tragic you kept yourself outside instead of shitposting
>>burned both hands
Oh noes not your handies
>>stripped oil pan nut
You're retarded
>>car fell off ramps first time around, broke coil spring
Literally how
>>garage floor covered in oil stains
So wipe it up
>>oil pressure light came on right after starting car again
Yeah because the engine has to pick up the new oil retard

my 2012 f150 calls for 8 qts of synthetic:
5 qt valvoline = $37
1 qt valvoline = $10

>come talk after you have experienced a very specific issue that has happened to me only.

Fuck off.

>5 qt valvoline = $37
>1 qt valvoline = $10
But two 5 qts nigga

>1x5=50
>37

I guarantee you that if you take your truck to get an oil change at those "WOW $30 OIL CHANGER LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!¿"
They going to put the cheapest, most shittiest conventional oil they can find, and they're going to use a shitty Fram filter too. They don't give a shit, they know most people that know anything about their own damn vehicle do something as simple as their own oil change, so they know they're getting away with it by fooling people ignorant about car don't believe me look it up

even so, using shit oil and filter is better than not doing it at all.

Doing it right is better than doing it wrong
Having a car is better than not having one at all
Having legs to get to your car is better than not having legs at all
Being able to breath and observe cars is better than not at all
What are we doing here faggot?

Changing your own oil is for poorfags

>tfw too poor to change my own oil or fix car
>nobody on Veeky Forums will help people like me

These are choices you both made when you bought the cars you bought

Ugh. You don't make this sound very appealing but I know I need to do it. Mine make a funny sound and I'm absolutely convinced there's 15 year old mud in them considering the condition of the body.

Doing it yourself is better, cheaper, and more fun than jiffy lube

You're obviously incompetent, but I don't change my oil own for cars anymore either. Not worth the time when the place down the road will do it for $30 and point out defects in the car for free.

I only change oil on my motorcycle because all I need is a wrench and a old gallon jug.

sauce?

>tfw no redneck country gf

Yes mane. It's pretty rewarding. You just described the feelings I've wanted to describe for a long time user.

I love you.

Just remember to tighten those bolts up pretty damn tight. I had to redo that shit 2 times because i torqued them to spec. It would leak, so i re did it, sanded the surface down real good, used a gasket seal and torqued it to spec again. Still leaked. So i redid it, sanded it down, gasket sealant, and i OVER torqued the bolts and bam no more leaks, been a good 10k miles with no leaks. That gasket seal (something super tack shit idk you can find it at autozone its in a little metal can comes with a brush) its some real good shit. Just brush some onto the surface of the diff where you're putting the gasket and slap the gasket on there, the gasket will stay in place thanks to that gasket tack stuff. Its pretty rewarding when you seal it all up, turn on the truck, and take a couplr hard pulls around the block and the diff is smooth as fuck with no leaks. Feelgoodman

Found it, this shit works wonders. It's like super sticky though.

Best filters coming through

>not Fram
youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

How

Maybe on a forklift

Woah turbo forklift, how many tonnes?

It's easy if you have an old car.
If you have a modern diesel, it's another story.

a lot

>kiwirail

Wow where are you located?

Used to intern at Gough Materials Handling in Onehunga, Auckland.
It was on the Toll site.

Highlight of my day is working on the container stackers. Spent most of my time in the mechanics pit changing oil

>Mine make a funny sound and I'm absolutely convinced there's 15 year old mud in them considering the condition of the body.

I'd like to get inside of her 15 year old mud if you know what I mean

He's posted her tits her a few times

where

Here on Veeky Forums

I'm sure someone has them and could post them elsewhere with a link

>Offering advice
>Doesn't change oil while it is hot

Wow motherfucker

>pay $30 for someone to fill it, get shit tier oil an filter
Or
>do it yourself and use that $30 for synthetic oil and a good filter.

I don't see oil changes as cheaper but instead getting better value for mandatory maintenance.

A thread

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15224860/#q15224860

>how are garages able to sell oil changes for really low prices, such as $30?

They do not buy oil the way you do. They buy oil in 55 gallon drum lots. They ALSO sign contracts with the oil company to only have that brand of oil. In return, there is another discount. Consumers can buy 55 gallon drums of oil too, but it will be a bit higher than a business contract price. Earlier this year, I saw an oklahoma wholesaler with 55 gal drum at $458. Kendall? I can't remember the details now.

Current Example Price: 55 gallon bulk full synthetic oil. Comparable to Mobile1 5W/30 $425. Free Shipping included in price.

buysinopec.com/collections/passenger/products/5w30-full-synthetic-motor-oil-55-gallon-drum

lol, my company oil pricing is fucked up for some shit

Like pic related. It's cheaper to buy 4L packs than a 1000L IBC

Hey guys wanna help me change my oil?
Fuck off Phil I'd rather do literally anything else.
But seriously you need cheerleader to change your oil?

I hope this becomes Veeky Forums's version of the movie theater /tv/ meem

>burning your hands on car oil
I think your car is about to break down, user.

Can you explain the issue or the car so I can venture a guess? Diagnostics are a pain but always interesting in my opinion which is why I got into the trade.

>I can't do something that a little kid can be trained to do

i hope this is bait
>is it possible to be this stupid?

>literally change shitbox oil in my driveway no stands no bullshit, wrench, drainpan, oil, oil filter

You're a humongous faggot and if I ever see anybody bitching IRL in a manner even similar to yours, I will clock their ass out just to eliminate the possibility I didn't beat your bitch ass when the opportunity was presented.

Welcome to Veeky Forums where most posters know jack shit about cars and typically have never owned one but can tell you why ever brand is shit.

Mas tu fazes por ser parvo ou é-te natural?

kek I learned how to change oil when I was 7. doesnt matter what car and if it's diesel, you are just completly retarded. just take it to jiffy lube and pay $50 for something you can do for $20 next time, retard

Faggot.
Today I spilled half a miata tranny worth of gear oil all over my face and garage floor, and guess what. It was on me. It's not a difficult thing to do, and if you fuck it up it's on you, no one else. Own up bitch boi. I did.

Do you not have Walmart around you? They usually have 5 qt jugs of full synthetic for around $25.

>>remove transfer case actuator by unscrewing it electrically with a 9v battery
What did he mean by this?

what? changing oil on a diesel engine is no different then on a gas engine

>5 qt valvoline = $37
>1 qt valvoline = $10

No need to pay such high prices.

walmart.com even has free delivery to your local walmart store. You can then go pick up the product there.

As for 5 quart jugs, many are on sale at my local walmart for about $23 each for full synthetic. That includes the Mobil1 Extended Performance full synthetic oil which is better than the regular Mobil1 full synth that came out so long ago.

First time I went to change my oil, found out I didn't have the right size socket, and my mate had bought the wrong size oil filter wrench (he picked up the parts before coming to mine to drink beers/help/notreallyhelp seeing as he drove past the parts store).

2 trips to the parts store later, did it with no problems.

I also helped change his oil while tripping on acid one other time. That was a fun day.

How do you even manage to breathe and think at the same time?

what the fuck do you expect when doing something for the first time? you WILL make mistakes, it only depends how serious theyre gonna be, but remember - there is always a solution :)

>what the fuck do you expect when doing something for the first time?

It seems that OP is either a troll or simply didn't think about the problem.

I mean, he didn't even think about how hot the oil is when he could easily feel the heat emanating from the engine on his face and arms. There's a lot of things inconsistent with his story from a common sense point of view.

So if the story is true, then OP isn't just new, but he is also fairly careless about doing things (shallow thinking). That's a problem with USA schools too as the lazy teachers only teach things on a shallow basis. That type of teaching effort translates into students that also think about things in a shallow way.

OP thinks about doing the oil change. But shallow thinking doesn't let him go beyond the "I got it on the ramp" now I will change the oil even if hot. Sure, jiffylube and other places change it hot. But they are already skilled at moving deftly. And the plug drops onto a wire mat that also drains into the disposal unit so they can afford to just jerk away without worry about spilling oil on the cement floor.

>my company oil pricing is fucked up for some shit

It will be if they don't sell enough volume or if their sales volume is unpredictable. That's why some oil companies or their authorized distributing wholesalers try to lock down independent oil shops and small chains to exclusivity contracts. For example, a shop might have only Kendall products.

>I hate differentials.
Thank fuck i never have to worry about mine

yet...

Funny facebook frog posters amirite?

Epá, mas tu sequer sabes do que falas ou armas-te em idiota porque os meus posts não te agradam?

Never said it wasn't. It's exactly the same... Except when you change your oil in a modern diesel engine with a DPF, you also need to reset the regeneration cycle, otherwise the ECU will just assume the oil dilution with diesel is a symptom of oil going bad, prompting you to change your oil again, when it's perfectly normal.
If the ECU thinks the oil is going bad, it'll postpone further regens until your DPF gets completely clogged up and you're invited to do a forced regen or just buy a new DPF.

Get it?
But of course, you can change the oil yourself if you have a tool compatible with your car and reset it yourself.

Very doubtful about your DPF comments. None of the Toyo Land Cruisers, Hino, Isuzu or Mazda diesels that we've changed oil on have required any further input. None of these vehicles have any kind of PCM interface with the lube oil further than oil pressure and oil temperature, so there is absolutely no way for the PCM to know the percentage of lube oil dilution with diesel fuel oil. In fact, I doubt there is a hardy enough OEM sensor installed in any vehicle that can accurately provide information to the PCM regarding oil content.

The ECU itself doesn't know hard numbers on the oil contamination (since as you said, it doesn't have any sensor to account for that), it just takes into account your driving habits, number of kilometers you did and the mileage the oil was last changed.
With those numbers the ECU will predict on how your oil is and when it'll need to be changed.
If you don't let the ECU know when the oil was changed, it'll think it's the same oil and it'll reach a point where it just assumes the oil is bad and it isn't safe to do a DPF regen.
Now, I think you know what happens when the ECU thinks it isn't safe to do a regen.

>With those numbers the ECU will predict on how your oil is and when it'll need to be changed.
I had a lot of short stop and go trips in my new GM car. So by the time I added 2000 more miles since the previous oil change, the oil life predictor percentage was down to 54% oil life remaining. Yeah, so shoot me for driving a few miles before stopping. But I am not of the "get a bicycle" crowd as that is a recipe for mugging or bike theft. The thieves & muggers migrate to my good part of town and go home at night. GM seemed to be aiming at 5000 for their blended oil (conventional & synthetic mix) based mostly on a friend's new GM car which drove a mix of city and freeway miles but mostly freeway miles. We both guessed the upper target was 5000 on his oil life predictor.

He has a lot more miles on his car, but as a cross check, I went about 200 miles on my car almost all at freeway speeds with just a few slow downs and 3 stops. It took 4% off so that also corresponds sort of to 5000. So a lot of stop and go driving only drives it down to about 4200 miles before it says no more oil life. That doesn't seem to be all that much variance between high mileage and severe driving situations.

Has anyone else tried to guestimate what the upper mileage target is for their expected oil life based upon the manufacturer's default oil?

None of the manufacturers listed above have any input to the PCM regarding oil change intervals. None of the manufactures that I have experience with have any input regarding lube oil changes. I believe some smaller car systems have a Service code that is pushed to them via diagnostic to reset the counters but I have not encountered them.

Have you experienced any vehicle with a DPF behaving as you say? No Denso, Bosch or Delphi CRD system I've worked on behaves in this manner.

All DPF systems I have worked on use exhaust pressure and temperature as the axis for the table to engage regeneration. This has caused issues with a number of vehicles that would make oil, where the oil level increases due to diesel fuel oil washing down the bores into the sump. The PCM's I have worked with have no indication whatsoever about oil quality and will continue to cycle the regeneration until the oil is sufficiently diluted to the point of mechanical failure. I have no experience with them, but I am aware the Ford 6.0 or 6.4 has the same issue.

Please don't give me flashbacks senpai