Bluetooth OBDII readers

I know we just had a thread about this, but we didn't really get into specific info about what people use for mounts or if they use their phones vs dedicated tablet setups for displays
I also hear that a lot of the new short blue elm 327 v2.1s are bogus, anyone have any experience?
>this is wikipedia info but fake chinese good is legit
old thread
>Things that were established in last thread:
>Torque app is good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aT_3_IIckws
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327#Pirate_clones
fadvisor.net/blog/2015/02/inside-a-fake-elm-327/
totalcardiagnostics.com/elm327-bluetooth/
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T5G53ZM/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=2363.0
oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Code Readers!s!Scanners/N0664/C0103.oap
amazon.com/Innova-3160e-Diagnostic-Scan-Vehicles/dp/B01B1JK9CC/ref=dp_ob_title_auto
4plebs.org/o/thread/15507015
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just get a decent scanner from amazon and thats it man, fucking summer fags BAKA

OP here I bought the kitbest obdII reader (OP pic, decent reviews) but as far as mounts and display I just got a cheap vent mount for $3 off amazon; I also got the sticky mount as a backup just in case it won't hold the weight of the beastly 7" potato/tablet I got for a display.
>mount brand: iNewcow
wat
>video for tablet
youtube.com/watch?v=aT_3_IIckws
WAT

current cost: $45

I have two. An iottie one touch xl and a kenu airframe. The iottie holds it more securely but is bad in the summer because the device sits in the sun and gets hot.

AFAIK you won't get a """real""" elm327 reader unless you're spending $80+. However, most of the shitty $10 readers off ebay are good enough to read and clear codes, which is all I use mine for.

> 1/10 terrible troll tbqh fampai
I already have a scanner, i want a sweet ass realtime display

good to know; I went with the kitbest since it had no mention of the elm327 b/c I had heard it was proprietary, thanks for confim

do you use your phone or a tablet for a display, and what kind of mount do you have?
>not inb4

I have had two $18 elm 327 bt ones I used with iOS. Liked them and the DashCommand app I used. I left mine in all the time but only used it to clear codes and monitor stats once in awhile.

>past tense
what happen?

These shits suck, i got one and it doesnt read shit. I tried it on 4 different cars and it couldn't read shit. Bought an Innova scanner instead works like a dream

what vehicles were you trying to use it on?

2000 chevrolete silverado, 2001 Toyota echo, 1997 Mazda 626, 1997 chevrolet S10, 1998 chevrolet s10, 2001chevrolet. Suburban. Didn't fucking work torque kept saying it couldnt find any codes. Despite CDL being on. Innova code reader did it in a snap. Do recommend

New car allows me to read and clear codes on the dash. And I keep a window valet plugged in obd2 all the time. Did like it and would use again if I can figure out what I did with it

Do any of these cheap ones work with Carista?

>Carista
>in app purchases
>subscription based
why would you want to use this?

It's cheaper than VCDS for some of the minor shit I want to enable.

>subscription based
If you go to the debug section right now its one time purchase. Still if I can't find a cheap bt obd2 then I won't.

>The faults that you saw only the first digit of, are faults that other apps don't show at all.
sounds shady.

>cheap OBDII BT dongles
I saw some $6 ones on Amazon but the reviews were horrible. There's a ton there for $10-20 as well

>I also hear that a lot of the new short blue elm 327 v2.1s are bogus

Lots of successful chinese products can be counterfeit. For example, one chinese lithium ion battery maker has seven counterfeit company competitors making identical products including even the label and trademarked name. It has been years in the chinese courts, but due to corruption, there is no resolution to the court case brought by the original company against each competitor. The judges and lawyers and prosecutors all work together to make the case last longer so they can keep milking all the companies for bribes as well as get sinecure jobs for families and friends.

China has a big reject electronics parts market. Parts that fail quality control don't get thrown in the trash. They are sold to resellers or customers who are willing to buy at lower cost parts that might not meet full performance specs. Even processors that have some features not working are sold and put into knock-off or counterfeit products. Once sold, the warranty is not honored for those products which is important because honoring warranties increases costs unnecessarily.

I got a real shitty ebay one and it disable my ABS

>Didn't fucking work torque kept saying it couldnt find any codes.
Did it even have the actual chips inside? Chinese knock-offs for western digital portable hard drives would have a modified USB thumb drive controller chip inside. There was only 4GB thumb drive, but the controller chip was modded to show the full GB capacity of the portable hard drive. So users would put in data, and if there was more than 4GB, the new data would simply overwrite the old data.

Ingenious counterfeit. Testing the drives would show they "work". They would have weights like rocks or washers glued inside the case.

>I got a real shitty ebay one and it disable my ABS

That could be a useful tool too if you plugged it in to someone else's car if you didn't like them.

>stating the obvious: the blog
thanks
I was referring to the fact that the "manufacturers" state the firmware they're using is v1.5 or the new ones say v2.1 but people are finding the firmware is actually 1.0
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327#Pirate_clones

>it disable my ABS
highly doubtful

>I was referring to the fact that the "manufacturers" state the firmware they're using is v1.5 or the new ones say v2.1 but people are finding the firmware is actually 1.0

It doesn't matter since they have your money by that point. Capitalism is Good. Ethics is Bad. Profit is Good. Ethics is Bad. Gweilo customer returns unit for refund is Good - now we have another "new" unit to repackage and sell. We been recycle selling version 1.0 units for a long time now to more Gweilo.

spent probably too much money on a bluedriver.

works pretty good though. only needed to use it once so far.

>I was referring to the fact that the "manufacturers" state the firmware they're using is v1.5 or the new ones say v2.1 but people are finding the firmware is actually 1.0

So which ebay seller actually sells a legit one? It's not like each of them says they sell old versions mislabeled as new ones.

cool story, except cantonese don't get nice things like manufacturing since mandarin chinaman is king
>we target laowais, not gweilos

>legit ones
i assume dongles that don't mention the proprietary elm327 directly on the label are slightly more legit since they aren't blatantly relying on another companies reputation
>this is important in chinese culture
>if they were copying it, they would flaunt it
>in Chinese culture, copying is good
>relying on those that came before you is good
>so says king chinaman

>mfw people try to tell me about china
can we please talk about mounts and displays now?

>dubs
>double dubs
>all these dubs
GET IN HERE, CHINESE MOOT RIGGED THIS THREAD

I can record it disabling abs and upload if you want

pls do, usually affecting the ABS system needs a high tier OBDII scanner
other questions:
>who made your dongle?
>where'd you get it?
>what vehicle is this happening on?
>are you using torque?
mount and display info appreciated

It's a HUD + OBDII

>HUD
...like vidyas?

>bluedriver
did it actually check and clear ABS and airbag codes? that would be well worth some sort of monetary figure
>what did you pay for it?

benp

my car doesn't have ABS/airbag codes so idk. apparently it does.

100$ on amazon.

neat. so what's the deal with the dongle, does it plug into your phone or what?
>tell us what you do know

also:
>1996 or newer vehicle
>no ABS
>no airbags
what are you driving?

I googled it, it looks terrible
>incompatible with polarized glasses
was it terrible?

>mfw we haven't started the fire

If you must get one,get one that's wifi so response times are tolerable.

>implying bluetooth isn't a realtime wireless protocol
>implying WiFi isn't also packet based
cool fucking story

I'm about to buy one for my ST to use the Foccus app to program auto windows from key fob. does it matter if i get one for bluetooth or can I just grab one for USB direct to laptop?

I've already got an accessport for a lot of other information

>I also hear that a lot of the new short blue elm 327 v2.1s are bogus

Article: Inside a Fake ELM327 OBD2 reader
fadvisor.net/blog/2015/02/inside-a-fake-elm-327/

>AFAIK you won't get a """real""" elm327 reader unless you're spending $80+
As low as $37 each for a reader from a reasonable source. It's still not a true trademarked ELM327 but a tested clone chip that didn't pay any licensing or patent fees.

As for chinese knock-off products, I've experienced problems (not with OBD2) in other products. Torque wrenches are off. Micrometers are not accurate in parts of its ranges, voltmeters are off, etc. SO I always wondered if those cheap $15 "elm327" on ebay actually report real data or simply cheap-out and take some composite values elsewhere and use that to provide some numbers in order to claim to have that feature.

>fadvisor.net/blog/2015/02/inside-a-fake-elm-327/
>any nearby hacker can connect to them and have full access to your car CAN bus and do whatever your car manufacturer has allowed on that bus!
>Hack-Proof: Cutting-edge security scheme virtually eliminates the risk of unauthorized access. Works with 128-bit military grade data encryption, Man-in-the-Middle (MITM) protection.
OH NO DA HACKRS GONN GET MAH BLOOTOOB
are you really this ignorant?
>I've experienced problems in other products (not OBDII)
yes. yes you are.

>If you must get one,get one that's wifi so response times are tolerable.
Must be your device is slow to perform the device validation handshaking. Good bluetooth devices verify each other and your machine is probably going through a time out before going to less secure open unsecure broadcast with the device. The chinese copies might not have your bluetooth communication validated,

This is the one I have.

Works in everything I stick it in.
It seems to update a LOT faster in CAN vehicles, as well as Fords.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T5G53ZM/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used to use my tablet, and obddash pro or something, but it was too tedious to set it all up for every trip so now I use it for diagnostics mostly.

>no proof that feature exists or works
Show me the source code or a penetration attempt.

SEATTLE -- The City of Seattle is now using cell phones and tablets as tracking devices to improve traffic flow.

But most people are unaware it's even happening, and some are worried they're trading their privacy for improved traffic.

In an effort to speed up traffic, the Seattle Department of Transportation has scattered 200 flat disc antennas on top of traffic signal boxes throughout downtown Seattle and the Mercer Mess.

All wireless devices -- phones, tablets, laptops -- have a unique identifying address that's not duplicated anywhere else in the world. When the wifi is turned on, the antennas can pick up a device's number and track it.

By tracking the time it takes a device to go from one antenna to another, engineers in the city's traffic control center say the collected data will lead to more accurate travel times and proper signal timing.

While the intent may be noble, some feel it's an invasion of their privacy.

"When we learned about this program we shared the same concern," said Michael Mattmiller, the city's Chief Technology Office.

To ease those concerns, Mattmiller insisted that the data coming from the vendor, Acyclica, have no identifying information tied to it.

"At the soonest possible in the data life cycle, we anonymize that data, we transform it so there's no way it can be tracked back to that individual," he said.

In 2013, Seattle police installed a mesh network, which is a similar tracking system for policing purposes. It was removed after privacy concerns were raised.

Bluetooth is too short a range, but if someone passed by a high gain bluetooth antenna, the same thing could be done as with wifi. But since not all cars have wifi or bluetooth (my car has both) it's easier to track by personal devices broadcasting their IDs than by the devices in the cars broadcasting their IDs.

Letting this thread die now, nobody on Veeky Forums knows anything as usual

>responds to me as if i belieb this bs
>instead of shill poster that who originally mentioned both of these overpriced products
need a little more time on the whetstone yourself eh?

>Breaking News!
>devices that are broadcasting MAC addresses can be identified!
fuck off with your normie posts and your eye cancer formatting

On the moderated forums of other sites, your posts would have been deleted and you would get a warning. It's only on Veeky Forums that people respond with what looks like proof to your "i don't know about it therefore it can't exist" assertion. You then get insulted and declare the thread must die. Then you'll just start up your nonsense again in another OBD2 thread.

>These shits suck, i got one and it doesnt read shit. I tried it on 4 different cars and it couldn't read shit.
Are you able to open it up and see that it's at least connected up to all the pins? And that nothing looks burned out? The seller might have simply sold you rejected return parts. Chinese sellers recycle as much as it can for profit.

At least amazon has a return policy. I bet all those cheap ones are re-sold defective returned units from a different company that is secretly a part of a company already selling good OBD2 units. They just use these other small companies to get rid of the slightly defective units that aren't DOA yet.

In the Harbor Freight retail store, the basic OBD2 reader sells for $49 but their continuously-offered 20% off coupon makes it $40. The drawback is that the codes cycle through a long period of time, so if you miss it, you have to wait.

It's not like their $100 model that saves up the codes and you can scroll thru them. That fancy model can also be updated from the internet.

>just get a decent scanner from amazon and thats it man,
The handheld or wired scanners are good, but have features limited by the hardware you are holding in your hand. The advantage of the little OBD2 readers that use wifi or bluetooth to broadcast the data to a smartphone is that the features are limited by whatever the software program has.

The software is also able to save the data to a file. Some handheld units don't allow that despite their cost.

>In the Harbor Freight retail store, the basic OBD2 reader sells for $49
dubs
Don't get one. It's too basic and the cable is so short you can't even use it when driving and generating new codes if you had cleared them before. For the price, you should get something handier to use.

>can we please talk about mounts and displays now?

Moar like need extension cable for my handheld unit. Don't want to buy another one just to display it on my phone.

Scangauge II

Renault Twingo 1.6 133

>stealing my prompt to prompt something else
no nigga, we need to talk about mounts and displays
>extensions are less than $10 on amazon
>see? we done.

thoughts? comments? Reasons why you paid more than $100 for some bullshit that calculates your MPGs?

ok no trolling i CANT get my ones to work in any of my cars except for late model Toyotas

Whats one that will work 100% with Falcon and Commodore circa 2001?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE im NOT buying a $200-2000 scanner

promise no troll, your Commodore and falcon are not OBDII compliant
>scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=2363.0
>Holden only became OBD-II compliant in 2005 - 2006 when they were required by legislation to become compliant, as were all other manufacturers
>even ausfags can't use google it seems

What really needs to happen to make these cheap ELM clones/bluetooth/wifi things useful is for someone to make an open source version of the factory tools. Like a ripped off version of those premium tools offered by aftermarket.

I bought a VCDS clone off aliexpress for $20~. So far it works great with one of the most recent releases of VCDS. Unless I buy a car 15 years newer I dont need to worry about it missing functionality. I should probably buy another in case this one dies or the VCDS holding company manages to get the product blocked from entering the USA.

>these things
you mean dongles?
>vcds
que es eso? some proprietary code?

>no nigga, we need to talk about mounts and displays

But that is so personal as to what people want. It's easier to just go to amazon.com, bestbuy.com, frys.com, or even walmart.com and target.com to look through the various mounts for smartphones. For example, pictured is a vent mount. Most vent mounts can be easily adapted by the user to be glued to a CD player opening mount. Thus, a vent mount can be thought of as a CD player opening mount too.

I had hoped car manufacturers had put the code functions on their touchscreen displays (since they already have the data). I guess they're afraid of taking business away from the authorized dealer service chain. Making codes visible with explanations would also be lawsuit territory. When new features are offered, someone will find some missing variation of that feature and sue over it. Someone will sue for 100 million saying there was no warning code display for hot coffee in the cup holder, thus the spilled hot coffee burned me.

who is this alphonse?
bumping

moron ?

Diagnostic Trouble Codes
MPG
MAP
LOOP
RPM
TPS
Water temp
Oil temp
Battery
Ignition timing

FUCK

i know but i was hoping i could get a working reader

guess its back to the tuning place again fuck thanks.

Your car seats need to be accessorized like that too!

It's pretty confusing how many code readers there are. I bet they are more or less just different physical packages of the the same chinese circuit board for several different generations of OBD2 type chips.

So, maybe the best way to choose is to figure out what types of OBD2 integrated circuit chips exist. Then separate the readers by the type of chip they use. It would be like with personal computers where people separate them by CPU type.

There's lots of units that come with PC software. Quite a few are made in the USA but they cost more than the chinese knock-offs. Even looking at just one store's offerings:
oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Code Readers!s!Scanners/N0664/C0103.oap

Regardless of price, one of the nicest OBD2 units seems to be the Innova 3160e New Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data. While it has a lot of features in the handheld unit, it also works with PC. It keeps track of data timewise too, so you can match up various engine conditions such as coolant temperature at the time a certain warning message was triggered.

Yeah, I hear you. You don't want any crappy stuff made in the USA or Japan. It's just too crappy for the high price. USA == crap. China == meow purr yiff best product

amazon.com/Innova-3160e-Diagnostic-Scan-Vehicles/dp/B01B1JK9CC/ref=dp_ob_title_auto

I wondered about that and why they have those rounded flat things on top of them. I thought they were some exotic money-wasting air vent bought from a company that gave kickback money to the city officials willing to buy their products. Never assume the worst? In one sense, the lost of privacy is bad enough. The city doesn't get the info but that company can sell it to someone else.

I've used a cheap ELM327 bluetooth OBDII reader for about three years now with Torque Pro on a tablet, VDJ Land Cruiser.

Works fine. Refresh rate is slower than other higher speed IC's, but no faults. Ever.

I'd buy another few.

Are any of those HUD's worth it?

>Are any of those HUD's worth it?
They are to some people. But no idea what your personal tastes are as to what is good or not.

>I also hear that a lot of the new short blue elm 327 v2.1s are bogus, anyone have any experience?

People unfortunately aren't saying which sellers to avoid. Or which specific sellers have good items.

>It's a HUD + OBDII
What is a HUD for?

The old OBD2 reader thread is archived at:
4plebs.org/o/thread/15507015

In the old archived thread, Longpost Guy mentioned that he preferred and did buy a unit that could be updated (with downloads from the internet) so that it could read newer cars as they came out with yet more and more new types of codes.

don't expect it to do anything beyond engine codes.

my MK5 Golf has the airbag lamp lit up, but my OBD2 bt adapter says there are no codes. A "specialized" OBD2 scan tool for my make didn't turn anything up, either. Guess I'll have to cough up for the stealership

Since the names of at least one OBD2 reader in this thread was identified as being updateable. can't you go to the various OBD2 company websites and see if their internet updates include the latest codes for newer model cars?

Innova 3160e does abs/srs reset codes