/evn/ - English Visual Novels

Winning edition

Thread for discussing English language visual novels and their development.

Do you have a question about an originally-Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

>Discord
discord.gg/fTcq5

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1tZsu2-zn64&feature=youtu.be
denpasoft.com/shop/sakura-maid/?age-verified=99b46b18be
imgur.com/CHfncSg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

obnoxious "devs" thread?

nice, nice

I want to make an authentic Japanese-style visual novel. Do you know any good seiyuu?

I just recovered from a 3-day illness and can finally draw again.

Time to disappoint my clients!

We saw your bad trolling last thread and no one fell for it then - why do you think they will this one? It's the same people you know.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to bait anyone, though, and I don't think anyone could fall for art that shitty either.

lol

>tfw editing script

how was i so shit before

I found out it wasn't the tabs that were breaking renpy code when pasting from Word to Editra. It was the quotation marks. Retyping all the quotes is marginally easier than retyping everything. Just thought I'd share for anyone else with the same problem.

give it a month and you'll think your revisions are shit, too

> retyping
> not find+replace.

I just googled it. Thanks senpai! I just replaced with an empty space, but is there a way to replace the quotes with other quotes that don't break the code?

>someone describes a game as an "all f/f otome"

better than all "b/b yuri"

Even by EVN standards this is one of the worst trailers I've ever seen. That voice acting, ugh:
youtube.com/watch?v=1tZsu2-zn64&feature=youtu.be

You have seen very few trailers.

It's aggressively mediocre, nowhere near the worst.

I laughted way too loud at this.

You didn't see bad evns then

Post bad evn trailers

In the find box: copy and paste the style of quotes word uses. They should look slightly curved.

In the replace box: copy and paste the style editra uses. These are straight lines.

You need to do these twice: one for the opening quotes and again for the closing quoted (since word has them as two different charatcers).

I can't get "define gui.show_name = False" to work in Ren'Py. Even with it set to False, the title keeps showing up on the main menu. Any ideas on how to fix it? I wanted a handdrawn title on that screen.

Wait, never mind, got it. It has to be turned off in options, not GUI. I don't know what the copy of it under the GUI settings controls.

Thank you, I think this'll save a lot of time.

no dying

i command you

weeeeeeeeeeeew

wheww

but can you fuck everyone at the same time that is the question

I ate twelve buffalo wings, a family order of onion rings, and a handful of celery sticks

is this what mpreg is like

is this a yuri game? where is there a voice acted dude?

at least the celery sticks will probably help

>tfw people think your inferior OELVN is glorious nippon product

So who wants to get the latest Winged Cloud masterpiece for free? denpasoft.com/shop/sakura-maid/?age-verified=99b46b18be

>denpasoft.com/shop/sakura-maid/?age-verified=99b46b18be
was this the game ebi-hime was writing?

You're still getting roasted for dat incest doe.

kek

Too soon

soon

fuck off raithfyre
not your personal blog
stick to twitter

This is embarrassing.

None of the girls look young enough for this to be an Ebi-Hime game.

Does anyone have advice on writing something dramatic and high-stakes without characters risking their lives or dying?

the sprite reminds me of those old newgrounds flash games

Loved ones about to be/going to get beat up/raped
Kidnapping/held for ransom

The store's out of hot pockets for the third week in a row.

>fuck off raithfyre
don't you mean JKablanAwaqdwhy

It boils down to setup really. E.g. if Frodo lost the ring, he'd be in shit, and we have an idea of what would happen. He's not going to be dead or badly injured any time soon if he did, but we're told why it's important and why it matters that it's a high-stakes situation when he almost loses the ring.

What are you trying to write about?

but that wasn't even me

I don't have any solid ideas yet but I wanted to try to set a story in a more realistic/everyday scenario, not anything supernatural/fantasy or a real but exceptional setting like war. I want to explore character relationships in that sort of setting, like bonding over shared hardship, but I'm having difficulty thinking of something exciting that isn't too focused on romance.

hahaha oh wow

Oh, I guess there's competition, sports stories can get pretty dramatic for instance.

Locking your only set of keys in your car and trying to find a way to make it to work on time.

I mean it's going to lead into a stereotype at some point no matter what you do. It could be a case of someone has finally made a first-time friend but they've done something they shouldn't have and might lose that friend. I'm sure you can figure out how you could make this high-stakes and dramatic. Just set the situation up and you'll be golden. Don't just throw it in randomly.

Honestly I'd recommended watching some tv desu, it's everywhere. Even a court setting is a good example for setup and such.

Is this the new alternative to trying to get people hooked on a demo so they buy the game? I can see why it'd be a good strategy. Less money up-front and the reader will be more invested in the story by the time they get this option, since it doesn't feel like a demo and they'll want to go for completion or at least that paywall waifu.

That's what I was going to suggest. Skip the anime and throw on a good sitcom. Friends, That 70s Show, The Office, or something similar is a good way to see how it is done.

I think Friends is a good example yeah. It plays with a lot of ideas, and it's a great watch regardless.

Like others have mentioned, you should go read/watch a bunch of character-driven stuff. Pick a medium or genre you like and look for recommendations. There are a fuckton of ways to develop good conflict and tension outside of life-or-death scenarios, and one of the best things you can do is start by observing how other writers, particularly those you like, do it.

> that moment of fear after pressing "launch project" and waiting for errors

Show us why the characters care about whatever's at stake. Make us really believe in the stakes for them, and make us want it for them. This can be done through simple characterization scenes and beats. It doesn't have to be the high pinnacle of Mt. Pathos, but you've got to build towards it.

>free

Working out some layout stuff. Anyone happen to have a bunch of screenshots of other EVNs' layouts to give a sense of the conventions?

>other EVNs'

Why restrict yourself to just EVN?

It was a decent joke compadre

Sounds about on par with Huniepop.

Literally marblesyrup tier, jesus

But you can't make even that tier.

no WC had a goal tier for a free game but it disgusted them too much to not try to make a cashgrab

So why are you guys still working on something that won't ever be completed?

At least I'm trying.

I like to pretend I'm following my dreams while I wait for death.

Honestly I dunno. I just like the idea still so I'm still going. I've learnt some stuff doing so which is nice. I've met some cool people. Overall I'm happy I've achieved what I've got so far, it's looking good personally speaking so I'll just continue, hopefully until the end.

Continue...

Because my writing can't pass for a novel.
Because drawing manga is even harder.
Because making an anime of my idea is impossible.

I just want to tell a story, and VN seems like the easiest form of story telling.

This is funny because in my case.

I can't write decently even for a VN.
I have decent drawing skills but I can't focus on manga and the earning through that is as small as ants.
I'm actually animating stuffs in my VN.

VN may not be the easy way out for me, but I can sorta apply what I know through it so I might as well give it a shot.

For me it's that I want to incorporate both images and words because I enjoy both drawing and writing, and I considered doing a webcomic but the art takes much longer because you can't reuse images and I feel that there isn't enough space for characters' thoughts or prose. Basically, it's the medium that best suits what I want to do.

I feel like I can write decently but since I ingested so much anime and Japanese media the content of my stories tends to be pretty weeby... But my actual writing style is more novel-like than VN/LN-like...
So I'm in this position where I don't think the content of my stories would appeal to people who want to read 'serious novels', but my style doesn't appeal to people who want to read VNs.

haha Inma no longer gives a shit, just like Wanaca

>it launches
>a moment of euphoria
>it's your other project you had selected because you needed to open the script and check how you did things back then

benis

I used to fear it like fire, but now I can copy-paste several pages of script without checking and when I launch the game there are no errors. Even if I won't finish a game at least I acquired a skill, I guess.

imgur.com/CHfncSg

Tell us what's wrong with our uniform design. It's beginning to bug me and my artist.

Small tits.

>Tell us what's wrong

No. Use google you lazy ass.

Already arrived at some answer. Still trying to get in contact with the original artist though.

Good luck!

you mean "is a paid professional"?

>no zipper or buttons
>bracers on the forearm for some reason
>poor line work which confuses the eye

stół z powyłamywanymi nogami

No, pays a lot less attetntion to her art for WC games now compared to when she's just started.

Instead of writing for my VN I wrote a 5000 word email to my first love. This was a good plan. I am smart.

Awesome. Now proceed to kill yourself.

>5000 word email
disgusting

You're just jealous your ex isn't that yandere.

desperation is repulsive

Only if you're a guy

but what if I am a sadist

If you're a cute girl then it doesn't matter