Going to a car dealership tomorrow

Going to be buying a used car. I am very new to this stuff though. What is the typical process of buying a used car. Basically, I am looking for a general walkthrough of the process.

When you last bought a used car from a dealership, take me step by step through the process.

I am mostly concerned because people are saying that I need to take the car to a independent mechanic but how can I do that if I don't own the car yet?

Also, how does car insurance work? I currently have no car insurance. Can you buy a car with no insurance or do you get the car first and THEN get insurance because insurance in dependent on car type?

Very confusing stuff if you have never done it. Also, I should get AAA right? No idea how that works but I will find out.

I am mostly concerned about the general process of buying the car. How long should the whole process take? Including a test drive?

Other urls found in this thread:

balisetoyota.com/used-West Springfield-2008-Toyota-Camry-Base-4T1BE46K48U755064
balisetoyota.com/autocheck.aspx?vin=4T1BE46K48U755064&sid=5154736
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Private sale will most likely be cheaper. Call geico and tell them you want to get some car insurance for a new car and they can probably email some proof for you to provide. You're the customer, you can demand things like taking it to an independent shop, if they don't then walk away.

READ THE FUCKING STICKY

the sticky does not provide the help I am looking for. I did read it you mongrel.

ask them to let you bring the car to your mechanic. if they say no walk away. if they say yes and you have an appointment with your mechanic, they'll give you a temporary plate and you just drive to the mechanic and pay 50-100$ for the inspection.

Before you buy the car go to the car insurance place and get some quotes with differing levels of protection. then either have them start the policy or when you buy the car call them up and ask them to start the policy you chose. you then have 30ish days to pay the first payment or in full if they allow that.

aaa is optional if you have money or you really want it.

never buy a car the first time you drive it. take your time, it should take about a week.

>go to dealer
>look around for a car you like
>go inside and ask for a test drive
>they scan your driver's license and give you a temporary plate
>go drive.
>come back to the dealer.
>try another car if you want
>say thank you and leave.
>repeat until you find a car you like
>ask them if they will let you take it to a mechanic, if they say no just say thank you and leave.
>schedule with your favorite mechanic or if you know they're not busy just show up
>take the car and pay the fee
>judge if you want the car factoring in the cost of repairs you might need as stated by the mechanic
>come back to dealer and say thank you and leave
>come back next day
>they'll do the paperwork and you can haggle at this point if you want to. (cash or financing)
>drive new car home
>plate might come in mail, you might have to pick it up at dealer or you might have to go to dmv to buy it if they didn't buy one for you.

it's not that hard, just make sure the car is worth it.

here is the car I was talking about. They said that all the used toyotas that come through are repaired by their onsite mechanic.

balisetoyota.com/used-West Springfield-2008-Toyota-Camry-Base-4T1BE46K48U755064

even so, get your own mechanic to do an inspection.

I don't have my own mechanic. So wouldn't taking it to another mechanic not really do much for me? considering that its just another rando mechanic anyway?

I mean find one you like. find an independant shop.

go on reddit or something to your cities sub and ask them for good mechanics.

>I should get AAA right?
Well, when it is 2AM on a tuesday night and your car shits out on you, ask me if you think AAA is worth it?

So what should my goal be for tomorrow be then when I go down to the lot? I don't have my own mechanic to take the car to so.. should I even still bother going until I find one?

The major issue is that cars get sold so fucking fast from that lot. Its like the only decent lot around too. At least close to where I live. I really want a toyota too because apparently american cars are garbage at the used level.

What should my goal be for when I do go to the lot?

Test drive what you want, go on a very thorough test drive. Find out what you like about it, what you don't like. Test drive anything else you're interested in as well. Don't talk pricing or financing yet as buying a car on the spot on test drive #1 isn't, generally, a good idea.

You don't need your own personal mechanic, just call up one that's near you and ask them:

>"hey, I have a car I'm interested in buying from a dealer. I was wondering if I could set up a time for you guys to inspect it for me."

Ask your dealer if you can bring it to a mechanic shop to inspect it. If they say no, tell them to fuck off and find a better dealer.

After a few days pass and the car checks out alright, and you really so like the car then to down there and talk about pricing, financing, haggling, all that good shit.

The car won't be there for that long. Guarantee it. The last car I looked at was gone the next day. Its been like that for awhile too. I will be looking at a car, call and ask some questions about it, next day, BOOM its bought by some other fuck.

which is why I am stressed out because these used cars with good mileage on them do not stick around for long. I have missed two opportunities already! They don't hold cars for anyone either. whoever walks in and says "I want to buy this car right now" gets the car. So I can go look all I want and test drive all I want but that won't stop some fuck coming in one hour after me and buying it.

A lot of dealerships will hold the car for you for a $500 fee (which acts as $500 off from the car when you do purchase it).

Try Craigslist if your dealerships are lackluster. You'll be able to find a much better price than any dealership.

I hate dealing with randos on craigslist. I find dealerships more trustworthy than randos .

That is not always the case, the "stealership" meme was made up for a reason

Never believe a meme like (insert country here) cars are garbage. There are good and bad American cars, good and bad Japanese cars, good and bad European cars, etc...

Do research on the car itself, don't take here say about the company

My only advice that nobody else seems to have gone over is that when you know what car you want, always, ALWAYS tell them that you want to go to another lot and see if you can get a better deal.

They will almost certainly give you a discount on the spot. And then? Go to another lot and see if you can get a better deal.

Please god dont

Get your dad/friend/mate whatever to go with you.

Go private.

>t. AAA sales rep

M8 it's a fucking Camry it's not like a V spec GT-R is on the line here you'll find one given some time. If your money really doesn't matter as much then go rush in but the sensible approach is never let yourself get pressured. Which error would you rather make, missing a chance to buy a good car or rushing and buying a lemon?

What is all this horse shit about taking your car to a mechanic? What the fuck is there to even check? When I buy a new motorcycle, there are literally two things I need to check

>make sure the tranny is working fine
>make sure the engine is working fine

Everything else is shit you're going to replace anyways (fluids, filters, tires, brake pads, etc...)

Does this autocheck of the car mean nothing?

balisetoyota.com/autocheck.aspx?vin=4T1BE46K48U755064&sid=5154736

This isn't a car fax right?

Get a cheap vacuum gauge from Harbor Freight, learn how to use and read it, and take it with you to check on the cars you're buying. One of the best methods you can use to see if the motor is any good.

Also ask them for the bottom line of what you're going to pay for. They'll try tack a bunch of shit onto the car but you don't need it.
Don't bother with a warranty, they'll screw you over

this. Not only that but if you are buying from a dealer they have their own mechanics do a check on everything before you drive it off the lot. Craigslist? Yeah sure get a mechanic to check it out.

Wow, this is the new Halo game right? Looks pretty rad.

is it the new halo?