Steering Technique

>user, you need to learn push-pull steering. It's the safest and most efficient way of steering. Hand-over-hand is a terrible habit.

>no, no push pull is an outdated relic that is unnatural and dangerous. You need to learn hand-over-hand

>both of them are awful. No matter what, keep your hands at 9 and 3 and rotate the wheel

Said by two different driving instructors, and my dad, respectively.

Which steering method is the fucking right one? Why is shit so inconsistent, fucking hell

the one you find most comfortable or the one you're most familiar with

i think push pull was developed over a concern that hand over hand could put your arm in the way of the airbag in the event of a crash but that may be a false fear?

Push-pull is useless when you're trying to do tight maneuvers quickly, especially with no power steering. I was told by a driving instructor to use both depending on the situation

It does not matter. Turn the fucking thing.

Hand over hand, always. Do you see GT drivers using push pull?

One handed

PALM IT

You are all full of shit

The true steering method is one hand grinding turn, the other in the shift stick.

Manual masterrace reporting in

Push-pull is objectively the safest, and is what police officers use.

Suicide knob.

>left elbow on door
>left thumb and index finger holding wheel in place and making minor adjustments
>right hand turning wheel or shiftan
what is the point of driving if you can't drive comfy?

>Push-pull is objectively the safest, and is what police officers use.

>implying police officers know how to drive

all day mayn

Do what feels comfortable, you can find world champions that have used all techniques. People try too hard to replace experience and practice with second hand knowledge

Ideally, 9 and 3, and never let go but to shift.

But usually racks this short are only drift cars, and low speeds you need a lot of steering input.

So Push/pull/shuffle steering, as 2 hands on the wheel is always better than one.

Then hand over hand.

But fuck, just drive however feels comfortable,

but I'm going to ask you a more important question, than the best technique to steer

>Why did you come to Veeky Forums for anything related to driving/cars?

not heel-toe rev matching your downshift before the turn and using both hands on the wheel instead of uselessly resting it on the shifter.
amateur

Do you even god arm pleb

I like using my knee.

9 and three. When turning hard, move the hand that corresponds with the direction of the turn next to the opposite hand, and cut the wheel that way.

For example: Left turn- 9 and 3, move left hand over next to the right hand and cut in that direction. Results in much more smoother steering input.

If drifting, hand over hand.

Watch the WRC guys

GUMTE DEATHMATCH

Just fucking turn the wheel, you are WAAAY over thinking it

use whatever feels the most natural to you because you will have the most control with that technique

Is this for a driving test?

If yes, use both push pull and hand over hand. Don't do what your fucktard dad says, you will never be able to do low speed tight maneuvers with 9 and 3 rotation.

If no, use your fucking palm. ezpz

>buddy rolled his truck because of one of those suicide knobs

I warned him over and over again he needs to get rid of it or use it only when necessary.
>It really helps on the farm
>Use to it on the tractors

>needing either technique

2.3 turns lock-to-lock master race

attach the bonus wheel for maximum steering

>instead of uselessly resting it on the shifter
not reducing shift times by having hand on shift knob already
pleb

Hand over hand you will break both arms if your airbag goes off while they're crossed.

You'll wear out your clutch fork that way

this

I actually unironically do this. Is this bad?

this, but also sometimes

>> right hand on bottom of wheel to steer
>> left hand on armrest
>> no shifting or steering because you are in an 8os landbarge and its' all about being comfy in a straight line.

probably works better here on the prairies than it does in town tho

9 and 3, and hand-over-hand if you're in a parking lot or something. All other answers are wrong.

Push pull and everyone that says otherwise is a fucking retard

9 and 3 is useless

based

9 and 3 when it's gentle curves you don't really need to push and pull. when you're doing tight corners push pull. I do autox and when you're doing corner work the people with the slowest times are often the ones who never let go of their initial grip

spoiler it's also always boomers and girls

He knows.

>Having a steering wheel airbag
>Not going on the street with a harness, roll bar, helmet, and HANS device

Kek

Fucking noobs

I make my turns with one using the palm of my hand.

Not at low speeds

haha shit I was waiting for someone to post this.muh nigga.

Unless you're doing some high speed shit this

Gum RAPE deathmath

I honestly do this going fast slow and works ...and also drifted with this method.

This!! I personaly use push-pull unless I'm backing into/outta somewhere or making a turn that curves more than 90 degrees. Don't worry about how you do it, just worry about how well you do it

>on highway
>prop left leg up by door
>rest arm on it and hold steering wheel
>right arm for shifting and chilling
pays off being a dangly long arm/legged fuck

>Those levers on the switches either side of the instrument cluster

Thank God Toyota can ride the gravy train of yesteryears reliability as it hasn't got much else going for it.

I shuffle and sometimes use my palm at low speed and always keep my hands in place at high speed.

Depending on what kind of corner it is, I do a bit of everything.

One hand masterrace.
One hand on the wheel, one hand on the gear stick.
Picked it up off my mother, who learned to drive on twisty narrow roads with steep hills.

Pretty much this except sometimes I just use my left knee to steer

The face of someone scared shitless saying "Oh fuck!"

> autopilot engaged
> knees on steering wheel
> hands handling sick bong rips

Not me, but a guy I knew did this on highways

Personally I just use left hand palm to steer and have right hand hovering over the gear ready to switch for quicker accelleration.
In normal conditions I use 9-3 harsh conditions 7-5/8--4

>push pull
Fastest way to spot a newbie driver

I must know, what's the most retarded, rube Goldberg steering?

>twelve suicide knobs connected to a dildo that you rotate not by contact but shooting compressed air from a fire extinguisher

>Activate autopilot
>Open portable DVD player
>Harry Potter

turn wheel with hands

>using one hand to steer
>literally having half the control of someone using two hands to steer

>be me
>visiting uncle
>going at 150 kmh on london roads
>hes texting the whole time
>palming it hard

Never again

>not palming it
Fuck you autocuck.

That said, push-pull is for crossdressing truckers, hand-over-hand is for boat captains, and 9-3 is for race car drivers and people who are paranoid of their airbag "safety" systems ripping off their hands. Depending on which bucket you land into, that's the steering technique you should employ.

someone have that pic of the kid journalist driving and crashing a camaro while holding 9-3 arm over arm still

90 degree turns / slow driving: hand over hand

Smaller turns and fast driving: 9-3 or 11-3

Top kek

Jalopnik the arm crosser

On any "serious" driving 9-3, mainly because motorbikes spoiler me that way
Low speed 10-2, but really left palm on wheel and right arm chilling on the shifter

I generally palm the wheel for tight maneuvers, and use hand over hand for everything else. 10 and 2 is my favorite positioning

7-11 OR BUST

Never really thought about how to steer. Steering comes very naturally to me, and I never really thought about using hand over hand or push pull.

What I've been taught: Always keep your hands at 9 and 3 (or 10 and 2, depends), and steer any way you want. Just avoid crossing your arms too much, and it's all right.

I'll pay more attention to my steering method next time I'll drive.

post the video

damn what a trivial thing to discuss about

This is the objective truth. I feel like only manual drivers do this. Also elbow on the door while resting head on hand and holding the wheel straight with right hand. Only moving hand to shift

>not grabbing one of the spokes with two fingers

Is push pull like the shuffle thing that drivers with broken arms /bad shoulder/bad wrists do until they recover?

there is only one way.

The correct answer is all 3 depending on situation, niggers.
9 and 3 is the correct default you should return to, push-pull is for high speed corner and hand over hand is for tight twisties when you're not flat shifting master race.

Also this, just reverse hands for RHD.

I failed my driving test the first time for palming the wheel. Fuckin nigger just wanted to fail me.

Feels so gooood