90s Japanese Car Appreciation Thread

What happened to the creativity of Japanese cars? What was it about the 90s that allowed the creation of cars with more character?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/5708872013.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

More relaxed NHTSA standards

Less safety crap and everyone was in competition with each other over building better "affordable" sports cars.

Now they compete over the most efficient appliance and this comes at the price of looks and performance.

>inb4 2018 Supra costs $200,000

pls no

It's going to be hybrid right? I'm expecting $100k+ and 1800kg+

>Did they learn nothing at le mans?
I honestly hope it's not, their endeavour with subaru is fucking infuriating and now they are looking to work with bmw for another car, but can't produce their own legendary cars without some sort of co-op or gimp, if they do make it a hybrid.
I have nothing against hybrids, but what would the upgrades be? If it becomes a hybrid, it will suck any amount of fun the older supra's had offered.

Nothing better than an NSX

Yet you picked out one of the worst examples

Gran Turismo 1 & 2 games are like the only way I can relive the 90s nostalgia.

Hopefully it should be under $100k, The lexus LC500 is around going to be around 100k. I'd also like to point out that the LC500 is still using a good ol NA V8 with RWD.

Money and market
People can't afford sports cars -> there is no longer a market for affordable sports cars -> they stop making them

they have money, everyone is just cucked on practically.

Pic related. My 94' Supra

Hello fellow Yokotan

test

>Nissan 240SX, 300ZX, GT-R
>Honda NSX
>Toyota Supra, MR2
>Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT, Eclipse
>Mazda RX-7

Good ol' days of competition.

What are modern-day options for RWD/stick/'sporty' cars? Genesis coupe and BRZ/FR-S?

>inb4 locked ecu + trans ecu and basically zero aftermarket except stance/cosmetics

can throw the miata/fiata in there but thats about it

You forgot something

"Locked ECU" is just a challenge for software engineers.

All software is defeatable, even the best security-focused software companies have to constantly patch security holes in their software.

No

Yeah, sorry that's the un-riced one, doesen't quite meet your taste right?

Yummy yummy

there is only one acceptable Honda from the 1990s

Sup SCBro

60k for a museum piece is out of my budget.

and that makes a difference how?

It diferentiates my apreciation towards these 2 distinct vehicles.
Now fuckoff.

>I'm poor so because of that I believe that a two door Accord is worth an appreciation

>Will never be able to afford an nsx.
>Will probably never be able to even afford a prelude with that dragon dildo addiction.
>Talks shit about great affordable cars without a near rival in the same price zone.

OKKK

>angry false projections
>over a fucking Honda Prelude
top kek nigga

I would get angry over a twix bar, specially if you said it sucked.

Twix is aight

But to devalue the NSX because it's out of your particular price range is dumb. The Prelude was only okay at one thing, being slightly different than a two door Accord.

But it is, essentially, a two door Accord.

So to me, it's nothing special at all.

The headlights on that car make me sad.

I will always be bothered by cloudy/yellowed headlights.

Posting my personal fav senpai

370z

I know they're a bit more on the common side, but i always have a soft spot for the EG Hatch

It's a good car ruined by teenage ricers.

I wish Honda gave it some better engines back in the day.

Its a shame its not rwd... It almost looks like a s13 silvia from the back

Isn't the double cam version of the 1.6 a good enough engine for this little car?

Theirs a Guat that rolled in a mint green one back when I lived in RI. Its a nice car that was ruined by a bunch of kids.
>jay dee ehm stikaz
>sad soufflé camber
>fart cannons
>no performance

All cosmetics...

I always though people tried to swap out the engines for b20's or make a frankenstein build like b20 head and b16block... Idk anything about hondas.

Most people who have the B16 usually just do light modifications on the engine and prioritize handling performance thanks to the great all double wishbone layout of the car.

Still, cars really capable and yet people spend time cambering it and going sideways over bumps while scraping the low hanging "Beaks" lower bar.

It is a shame. It suffers the same fate as the integras.

He never said that you retard. And if you think the prelude is just a two door Accord you're an idiot and have no idea about cars.

I'll hand you something

I don't know or care to know anything about cheap Honda economy cars.

Good?

Nice b8

Genuinely not b8

I don't care at all about entry level economy cars.

why does it look like that

Nissan 370Z
Ford Mustang
Genesis G90
Mazda MX-5
BMW 2 series
BMW 3 series
Lexus IS

w2c 400r wheels ;_;

try harder

lol, you seriously think I'm joking but I'm not.

They should have just called the LC500 the Cressida and made a stripped out turbo trim to be the new Supra. It's a much better looking car than the FT-1 or the expected final Supra design.

saving this bread

Did someone say 90s?

Nothing I want more rn than an FD

OP yous my nigga

get one nigga they fun af

>gs400guy
>RX-7
Please no

Trying to get this one
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/5708872013.html

>$18000
wew I'm so glad I bought mine

>no dual oil coolers
>no cruise control
>no sunroof
super base model FD that has been wrecked (who puts that ugly ass bumper on and leaves literally everything else stock?)

desu I'd look at something else

The appeal is that it's super base model
Also I'm being told it wasn't wrecked, but obviously I'll check for that before money is exchanged.
It's fairly low stock so chances are he ran it into a parking block/curb by pulling up too far.

hello friend

Fuck you, he's just gonna stance it, that's one less RX-7 for people who actually drive

>liking garbage

Fair enough at least it isn't that disgusting tan interior

do you consider this one stanced?

that's hellaflush
it's different

The terms are retarded, but whatever it is I'm doing it to mine

>canibeat
>california plates
>America
>Acura

C'mon son

awwwww, I like the del sol

I uploaded the wrong photo so it looks blurry

Those are very nice

What sideskirts are those? Mine has veilside but they break easy.

Less safety standards and nobody was competing over who could make the best econobox

America > the rest of the world desu senpai

That wheel fitment tho

I'm not sure actually. They were on the car when I bought it. The lip on the car is also busted. I plan on working on the car as much as I can while I'm here

Thats a shame.wanted the know cause they looked similar but a bit higher on the front end. The veilside dips down so I've cracked them on speed bumps.

That sucks. My skirts haven't been touched by speed bumps when I'm driving around Japan, though. Here's a pic of my busted lip

That's a shame. Luckily lips aren't to expensive. Well over here they aren't but I can't imagine you pay too much for body kit parts anywhere.

Aw yiss

>Economy
>2.2 vtec

except this

FUCK

>unironically liking this car

>3000GT
>better than anything

I like it, I want to own one, but it's not better than much.

>1350kg yet it's ayyliminum
>0-100km/h in 6s
>5spd tranny has super long gears
but otherwise a really sexy looking car

Looking for something like that height wise, but with some more meat. I have my old Works to go on which ever I end up getting so I'm mainly looking for red blue or white.

Not really the style of cars I prefer "ruining"
I'd "ruin" a Cosmo, not an Rx.

But what about the 80s?
pic related my 1986 celica GT that needs work.

guys. what's a good japanese car to buy with 8k?

I need something to drive to work and school. driving a camry 2000. live in chicago. help

its just that the 90's is old now and cars have changed.

its the cycle.

i grew up in the 90's and hate how most 90's cars looked at the time (mk iv supra excluded)

its only in the last 5-10 years that i've started liking more of the cars from the 90's.

you'll see, they'll be saying the same thing in 5-10 years about the 00's,. then the 10's ect.

>What was it about the 90s that allowed the creation of cars with more character?

Jap economy, they had wads of cash and spent it with no fucks given.
After the bubble popped by 1997-99 or so, they all went broke... and so began the slide into mediocrity. But mediocrity sells cars and makes a profit as Toyota proved fairly well to everyone in the business of making cars.
They just didn't really have any halo's or flagships in their range any more that people could aspire to own, the Evo and WRX malingered on for a while longer than most up until the Evo got chopped and the WRX got fat.

I guess in a way car culture vs cash kind of had cash winning in the end as people are far more pragmatic and educated now in their vehicle choices.

What?

Dude, I loved the look of the Supra and R33 in the early 2000s. After about 2003-2005 cars got increasingly retarded as the Japanese got destroyed by their lost decade and internal combustion engine development was not really advancing.

...A 2000 Toyota Camry?