BMW e39 M5

BMW e39 M5
I saved the money and I'm about to buy one, the question is with 190k kilometers on the clock what should I look out for?

>what should I look out for?
your financial well-being by not purchasing a e39 with 190k kms

Top shitpost m8.
>what should I look for
A BMW forum who can give you the answers and knowledge you need other than generic "hurr high milage luxury kar is expensive" responses because some idiot wants to say something, but has nothing of any substance.

look for leaks in the engine bay and while the car is running, look for leaks underneath the car.

look at the hoses in the engine and make sure they are not brittle and about to brake.

if your gonna buy an m5 it should be lower miles than that

Pretty much this though I would seriously budget 2 or 3 grand more over your buying price to plan on a cooling system rebuild, and suspension rebuild.

>your
Not everyone is inept at upkeep in a higher milage vehicle to the point where they need to lease brand new vehicles for "peace of mind".
Go slurp on cock faggot.

Good luck find any E39 with less than 100k miles on in that isnt obscenely priced.

117k isn't bad.

>you should inspect everything they may require repair or replacement and budget for that
Welcome to every single second hand car ever.

this. 120k miles is fairly safe for a car this old

Well if it was a honda, I can assure you neither of those would be problematic at 100k miles. And even if they were it wouldn't cost a grand to fix everything.

But hondas are appliances, expected to do appliancy things.

>implying a $2k civic owner cares what condition his seals are in

why do so many clueless retards come to Veeky Forums asking if buying a used 15yo-at-least BMW is a good idea

everyone wants their hero car from their youth once they grow up and have some money, but not everyone is smart enough to come to terms with the fact its usually a terrible decision given the age of those cars and the time and cost to keep them running.

there are few exceptions. you have to be lucky. 190k km is pretty far removed from any lucky find or future user experience.

whatever, i don't care. what i'm referring to is why you fucks don't check some forums for designated models instead of coming to this cesspool that will tell you one of things
>is gut, very reliable
>it's a BMW, time bomb

fuck off. this board makes me hate BMWs

$2000 in maintenance and repairs per year

doing it all yourself

if that number makes you flinch at all, do not buy an m5

mileage actually doesn't have that much bearing on it, it's seen plenty of 90k examples falling to pieces and 200k (miles) examples running like a top, it's all in how good the maintenance is. Previous owner better have shitloads of service records

Get a 540 instead. You'll be 90% there in performance without the M badge premium.

Start saving for crankshaft bearings due to be changed in 10K. It's a wear parts on M5s.

> ITT, idiots not knowing the difference from owning and maintaining.

base 540 is more like 50 maybe 60%, a full on manual msport package sedan is like 75%
you can get to 90 with a steering box swap, some suspension mods, and a supercherger

E39 is notorious for a shoddy cooling system. So if it hasn't been done, expect to rehaul thr cooling system in the near future.
Dsc module taking a shit is also common around those miles.

The cooling system really doesn't worry me. I know what to look for and have replaced many a BMW cooling component at various stages of their life.
What worries me is even aftermarket components, whether they cost more to produce or not, usually charge 50-100% more for M specific components.
But that's a factor I'm fully aware of.

>2k per year
so he has to do an engine rebuild annualy?