/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

>Play Latest AGDG Demos (DDX)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

vulkan-tutorial.com/Drawing_a_triangle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Falun_Gong
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>print statement debugging

Is meme pixel art and rixels still frowned upon? I don't want to learn art.

>when debugging is unstable
What? Also what's the difference between a crash and shutting your game down to recompile and restart it?

The debugger or compiling with debug symbols can cause the issue to disappear.

The difference is that I don't have to kill VS and Unity processes because of freezes and reload the whole project

Why do people get so salty when print debugging is criticized? There's a legitimately better way to do it most of the time.

Ah, fair enough. Don't know what you're on about with the crashing part, though.

>Unity in charge of allowing sane debugging

>he doesn't code in a REPL

>The difference is that I don't have to kill VS and Unity processes because of freezes and reload the whole project
What the fuck, do unity devs deal with that? This can't be real.

>Why do people get so salty when print debugging is criticized?
It's hard to face up to being cs_grad.png

I'm not the guy you're replying to, just a guy who's had his bugs magically disappear when running in GDB.

If you write a while(true) loop in Unity the entire editor crashes, lel

It's not frequent, but I try to avoid it as much as possible, yes.

Is this a good use of your time?

Do you have a game to be working on?

Working on enemies for level 6. I'll probably have to nerf these, but this is the general pattern I wanted.

Purdy

Why does it come out of their mouths though

Please stop legitimizing a shitposting thread

Please respond I don't keep up with latest indie games

That's pretty cool, 2 of them might be too much tho

I'm sorry, you're right

Is this a good use of your time?

Do you have a game to be working on?

Imagine being unable to share the fact that you learned how to use a debugger without shitposting.
He just wants a conversation, but he's so fucked up that this is the best he can do. It's kind of sad.

Teaching people about proper debugging will never be a waste of time?

I haven't positioned the shooters yet, I'm thinking shots from the hands would work.

Yeah, usually that means you have an uninitialized variable problem because compiling in debug mode often initializes to zero by default instead of leaving things uninitialized. I'm sure there's a way to debug without changing that behaviour, though.

Dont' guilt me like that you stupid fucking hamster

while(true)
{
// print(wow(1))
// print(wow(2))
// print(wow(3))
// print(wow(4))
// print(wow(5))
// print(wow(6))
print(wow(7)) // should be 15
}

Can you explain in simple term how do you get patterns like that? Isn't it expensive to have tons of projectiles like that?

Do whatever the fuck you want man.

Testing out some large scale battles on the old map.

fuck, posted in a dead thread.
Anyway, fixed the refractor problem.
Seem like it doesn´t like it when the value goes beyond 1.0

safespot central, user. you can literally stand in one stop and keep firing.

In UnityTM, how do you AddRelativeTorque in such a way that the object spins around its own center-axis?

That's some nice looking water.

>Seem like it doesn´t like it when the value goes beyond 1.0
If you plugging it through a lerp or something, yeah >1 often produces strange things

Temperature Progress 2

Itens have temperature now, flame thowers and fire wands makes you hot and nitrogen/ice wands/ cool drinks make you cooler

also make a giant sauna and a freezer just because

>tfw neo agdg doesn't care shitposting OPs anymore

>no webm
fuck you good job, looking fun
can you post another screen? I feel like you have a clashing artstyle issue with the water

What's the gameplay of this? Good progress user but that 30fps is scaring me

You know what. Fuck it. I'm done trying to have a better thread when you shitposter enablers don't give a shit. I will reply to whatever bait I feel like and I will stop reporting shitposts because fuck filling all that captchas. This is the thread you wanted.

This is how it looks if you ramp up the refraction to 10, and there is no lerp involved here

There are two major performance hits when dealing with gazillions of projectiles at once: collision and instantiation.

To minimise the amount of work going into collision I use circle collision which reduces the computation to a vector subtract (which are fast as fuck) and I've got the collision matrix set up so that the bullets only test the player, which reduces the calculations needed to o*n. If I wasn't using Unity and had lower level access to the engine I'd also probably use cell partitioning (unity might already be doing this, I don't know).

Instantiation is minimised by using a bullet bucket: when the game needs a bullet it first looks for an already instantiated but not active bullet and then reenables it with the correct stats. If there isn't one, it instantiates a new bullet.
It's more memory efficient but harder on the cpu - you need to have your bullets sorted in a way that you're not spending ages searching through a zillion bullets to find a free one.

That's pretty much all there is to it. Rendering is a non-issue with 2d these days because of batching. With both witches spamming like that my render thread is still only 0.5ms on a criminally underclocked graphics card.

my computer is dying, in my laptop gets 60fps

it is often very helpful though. just logging important actions can highlight an error with no extra work.

Well yeah I'd expect so, it's a refractive index, real materials don't go above like 4

>print
>not cout
pleb detected

>recompiling and restarting then getting back to the point where the bug triggers is no effort

This guy has completely had it with the state of /agdg/. Shitposts literally stop him from deving. We should feel really bad and work harder to support this guy's vision of /agdg/.

Come on guys, let's do it for the games.

>sixels (shader pixels)

Framerate is kinda low because i was running it straight off the editor. Should be fine if i compile it though.

please ignore the giant BSP triangle. i forgot to remove it

I don't give a shit anymore.

>adding at least 5 seconds to your compilation time for each compilation unit because of template retardation
>adding extra runtime cost just so you can use a retarded operator overload to print shit

iostreams were a mistake.

I like the triangle, having huge structures to dodge sounds fun

Really? I report those posts every time and lately they've actually been getting deleted.

That's from April. Mods learned to delete them after another month

I've been going over various OpenGL tutorials, and I'm lost.
All I want to do is start off simple with 2D, but every "good"/"recommended" tutorial shoves 3D down your throat once you get a rainbow triangle appearing, even when you don't fully grasp what's going on.

I see thanks for the post, I was expecting that you would recycle them if possible instead of initiating new bullets. Honestly I've seen bullet hell games run on really shitty hardware and always found that impressive.
That triangle looks like an alien structure or something

You can draw 2D in the same way as 3D, just make each sprite a 3D plane that's always oriented towards the camera and use an orthographic projection matrix. The overhead of using 4x4 matrixes and 3D vectors as opposed to 3x3 and 2D is negligible compared to how much more documentation there is for the 3D case.

Use an engine instead of being a retard tbqh fampai

>instead of being a retard
>image.png
I have bad news for you

OpenGL is deprecated. Try Vulkan instead.
vulkan-tutorial.com/Drawing_a_triangle

nice meme

I've added informations about the current mystery and highlighted the next mystery location, how does it look?

I do plan on having a bunch of giant things in the skies or giant structures eventually when I've got the base game running. Fighting in a somewhat restricted airspace is fun.

ancient webm coming through

where is your vulkan game?

Demo when?

one of the aggy game i would legit play because i want it

About six months

looks fine but the big tiddies anime girl feels out of place and the mountains would look better with some shading

Right here.

Reeeally now?

you guys know any good indieshits to follow on twitter?

follow me. but I don't post

Jonny

>tfw the idea fairy is here

help what do i do

nothing

Anime girl is the player character and I'm still wondering how to fill out the map itself - to leave the iconic building in the district/zone or to fill out the city with random buildings

Vulkan isn't really any more difficult than OpenGL is. You don't have to take advantage of its explicit asynchronicity or freedom of memory management at all to use it. You can pick and choose what you want to delve into.

where is your vulkan game tho?

Where's your argument?

>mfw watching Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting
This shit is great. Thanks for reminding me that this existed, agdg.

I guess so, it's just so overwhelming.
A lot of my misunderstanding comes from thinking things like textures are stored in the GPU ram.
I'd much rather take things slowly before jumping into 3D; make a triangle, make a square, color it, apply a texture, apply a sub image, some in-depth GLSL stuff, THEN 3D. Even tho the 3D translates fairly easily back to 2D as far as concepts go, it just seems easier to have it structured in such a way that 3D comes last.
Oh well, back to the salt mines for me

>no game
thought so

>no game
thought so

Isn't Vulkan not fully supported by most cards/systems still?

>no game
thought so

>thinking things like textures are stored in the GPU ram.
they are

what's your debugging process like?

>so game
thought no

Why are you using OpenGL? Just use BlenderGameEngine
I'm going to use game maker
>It doesn't matter what tools you use (even though it's inferior to practically anything) it's
I'm going to use OpenGL/SFML/SDL/etc
>YOU FUCKING ENGINEDEV RETARD (even though you're probably not making an engine) HOW DARE YOU USE ANYTHING BESIDES UNITY™ DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO COMPLEX MATHEMATICAL EQUATIONS JUST TO GET OPEN AN OPENGL WINDOW? WHAT NEXT, WRITING YOUR OWN OS? THE >5 MINUTES IT TOOK YOU FOR AN SFML CONTEXT COULD OF BEEN SPENT IN THE UNITY™ ASSET®™ STORE™

Neo-AGDG everyone, I was absolutely right years ago and I'm right now, BlenderGameEngine is the best engine for amateur and professional uses, only shills would disagree, it's better than enginedevving and it's better than unity and ue4.

Even though programming is about as relevant as the horse and carriage and eventually will go the way of the dinosaur, I have a lot more respect for them than Unity shitters and UE4 is just BGE for plebs.

I once found bob ross of tile maping, now i cant find it.

>no same
thought go

Hopefully sometime between mid october and DD11.

Thanks user.

>BlenderGameEngine
...fuck.

Now I want to write a game using only tools/software published before a cutoff date, like June 30 1999 or something.

>blender bro is back
What the fuck? Is Keymaster returning too?

>no bane
thought cia

it's been 4 years since I last saw you posting here. why haven't you posting anything for the past 5 years? what have you done during these 7 years you've been gone?

>gf broke up with me for using print statements to debug my code
more time for my game

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Falun_Gong

too bad you have no game either

A new era of progress and good games is upon us.