/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>Current Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Play Latest AGDG Demos (DDX)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/YellowAfterlife/status/779011401121607681
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'll take this thread since the other removed lewd jam and started with a shitpost

>print statement """debugging"""

that's no good start either

Why is that?

it's literally the same shitpost you chose to avoid

Oh
I thought you were talking about my post

Your post is pretty dumb as well.

Why is that?

I've added informations about the current mystery and highlighted the next mystery location, how does it look?

neat, are you keeping it black and white

this is the shitposting non agdg jam shill thread the real thread is that way

it just werks

i mean that way

twitter.com/YellowAfterlife/status/779011401121607681
neat

hmm

Finish this sentence:

>A game where

TOBY TIME
UNDERMEME ADVICE

why wouldn't shop be in city or village?

is your game?

is it, faggot?

Why are you retards still posting here?

artist here, looking for programmer

This is the real thread

Why? Everyone's posting Make room for other generals.

Because lewd jam was removed from the OP in the other thread. If you want room, make room by deleting the other thread.

No gives a shit, so let this thread die and make a new thread earlier next time.

I clearly do

Are you the jam host?
Stop being a baby.

So, guys, I'm about make a trailer for my game. I currently use OBS, but I can never get good quality with this thing. I followed a lot of the guides online, and you still get that grain look.

No
Stop enabling shitposters

The only one shitposting is you for bumping an unneeded thread.

No. Removing current jams from the OP is shitposting. The other thread is the uneeded one.

No one else cares, holy shit. Carry on your business in the other thread

They should care.

No one but you is concerned. Complain about it there so you stop wasting board space.

The other OP is the one wasting board space. It's a shitpost. Both threads were created almost at the same time this one is the legitimate one.

The other OP was made earlier so tough shit. There is no discussion here so let it die.

Making the thread earlier does not make it legitimate and does not make it not a shitpost. It's important that we identify the shitpost OPs and not post in them, else you are but encouraging the shitposters to keep messing with the OP. Also encouraging to making new threads earlier actually wastes more board space in the long run so your point is invalid.

Just because something's not included in the OP doesn't make it a shitpost. The OP just designates that it's the /agdg/ and that's it. You're throwing a tizzy because your precious jam isn't in the OP and no one in the other thread hasn't spoken up about. Do the board a favor and take your grievances with the real thread so you can stop talking to yourself in a dead thread.

It does when it was removed just for the sake of stirring shit up. There is literally no other reason to remove a current jam from the OP.

Clearly you missed the part where I said no one else has brought it up. No one but you is stirring shit up. There is literally no reason to keep this thread alive.

>Just fallacy

so how does /agdg/ feel about moo2 handing us over to a mod?

>muh mods
Mods don't understand our shitpost culture and will be faggots about everything

pik a map

Mall
Alternatively foundation

Clearly you missed the part where I said posting in the other thread is enabling the shitposting to continue. There have been countless past threads derailed by shitstorms that originated from shitposters fucking with the OP.

Again, no one else but you cares. Why does something not in the OP constitutes as shitposting?

Long time no see, thread

>gender slider
kek

gender should be four RGBA hex values

have you fixed the zoom yet

What are you talking about?

Cool stuff. Gives me zelda vibes

Then please never make games because it's clear you don't know shit about them.

Apparently Hiro sold us to Lowtax. No one is sure yet but there is a post from the Veeky Forums twitter page just saying Sorry.

hiro please

>dat FM towns marty aesthetic

looks nice dude

only complaint I have is that junji ito's work is notably absent of traditionally 'sexy' females, and having a massive rack in your game kind of goes against his vision of 'innocent beauty'

Is scheme a good scripting language for games?

no

I don't want to use lua

Hey anons, I'm having a bit of issue.
In Java, when a fight starts objects are created for each mob and party member. Everything goes smoothly.
When a second fights starts everything "works", the players attack, deal damage, but the screen is not displaying what it should.

I fear they are targeting old instances? I tried making the objects private or protected, and I suppose object disposal is automatic. Suggestions please?

Anyone know of a tutorial for Unity or GameMaker that involves making a game from start to finish? Including menus, UI and such.

I haven't found an actual finished project tutorial series, they all just seem to die off and move onto other things.

Thanks anons, had nothing to do with private objects!

Is this the new thread? It seems better than making a new one.

there is another thread?

here
That thread is about to get capped out though.

Hey, I'm a 1ma.

How bad of an idea is it to create a public static class that handles all of my offloading and loading of data and is used by other classes as a library reference.

I know what I'm describing would probably be considered a god object. I'm not good at programming but from what I've learned its not actually really that important in making games.

As long as I
>create good comments
>test it and stress it with decent debugging

Is there any obvious drawback of handling it this way? Should I split it into different separate managers?

circumventing the spectre of OOP is how good code is written

write true capitalist code and be free my friend

I'm using C# I have to use OOP. I've tried c++, I only got to string use and when they showed me like 7 different ways to get and store strings a bunch of which were outdated. I had no idea what was going on. I like C# because MSDN and .Net is a comprehensive and easy to understand documentation resource.

I tried C and liked it, but working with strings was also bad there too.

I'm tired of switching languages constantly because I just don't care that much. As long as the language is easy to use and powerful enough for my needs. C# seems pretty fucking awesome because it allows me personally to do more than any other language. Learning something new is as easy as going to MSDN.

Creating good encapsulated code just seems like a fucking waste of effort though as a 1ma. I care more about making and using content than creating efficient computational systems.

>final boss has extra lives equal to the amount of times you died over the course of your playthrough

I work with """""professionals""""" who will launch, test, close, relaunch their programs with minor changes over and over, and uses print statements to see how things are working.

We work in a language that supports hot swapping and has top of the line debugging tools available.

There are two primary questions to consider when writing something like this.

1) Is the state of this code predictable, and therefore tested for accuracy?

2) Will changes to this code affect all outputs equally, or only some outputs?

If you can write tests with full coverage, and prevent unintended side effects, there's nothing wrong with it. But both of those will not be easy to achieve, and your code will almost assuredly turn into a disaster of spaghetti, global mutable state that's impossible to test, and unintended side effects.

He's going to do something stupid and delete /pol/, isn't he?
I don't want to deal with the flood after the dam breaks

>sold us to Lowtax
Please fucking god no.

Fuck something awful, that place is a massive SJW circlejerking shithole. Veeky Forums is like the only place with actual freedom on the internet.

>Start modeling character
>Looks great!
>Redesign character
>Start modeling character again
>Looks even better!
>Redesign character
>Start modeling character again
>Looks even better!
>Redesign character
I'm not going to make it.

Come October it won't be. The UN will have complete control over the internet.

>something awful
Damn haven't seen that place in years. Wanted to check it out to see how SJW infected was now but it looks so boring and unintersting that I couldn't make it past the homepage.

>find out that a former childhood friend that I had a falling out with over a decade ago is a game dev now
>he has been doing it much longer than me and he has actual complete games while I have half baked games

fuck that guy

They ban people for saying nigger on BYOB, nuff said.

It also goes without saying that they don't value anonymity or free speech in any way. They are good if you like "quality" forums with heavy moderation. But that moderation literally is "agrees with out mods and with the standards of the website". Here to follow board rules to not get banned. But the worst that can happen if you don't adhere to board or general culture is getting made fun of.

As long as you don't use a trip every post you make is judged only on the merit of its contents. There's no identity circlejerk bullshit, there's no upvotes, downvotes, or built in methods of filtering "good posts" from "bad posts". That is the true freedom that anonymity and this site stands for. The price of that is the freedom to shitpost.

If you stay here for a long time its because you acknowledge that the freedom to shitpost is a perfectly reasonable price to pay for having a truly free community where every board operates on its own cultural etiquette and standards, and that there is a much, much higher chance that information you find is the truth, or at least a part of the truth that is harder to find elsewhere.

When I'm looking up advice for software or products, I trust the people on /g/ first. I trust mu when looking for music. I trust vg threads for info on the respective games. I trust that pol will give me a piece of the truth that I can't find elsewhere, though obviously poltards gonna poltard. The respect for anonymity and freedom is what binds the people here though.

I trust that a significant portion of the neets here actually would stand up against tyrannical information throttling if it was at our doorstep. Even though most people outside think the community comprises of nothing but dank memes.

>they don't value anonymity or free speech in any way
So si like any other social network basically

A bullet hell game where you try to get hit instead of avoiding bullets

>a turn based RPG with a fight you are suppose to lose

I took a break from coding and drew a concept for a future boss. You fight her in the obligatory fire level which is going to be themed around dragons.
Somehow all the humanoid characters in my game turned out to be girls, I didn't try to do it it just happened

Somehow all the humanoid characters in my game turned out to be girls, I didn't try to do it it just happened
You say that like it's a problem

does it bother anyone else that their video game waifu doesn't have any persistent data throughout the game? Like each time you run into them they're just a new instance with all new local variables and address space?

How do I make two of the same object merge into a new object in Game Maker? The only way I've thought of doing it that works is by making a duplicate of the objects I want to merge and set that to change into the new object on collision while deleting the other object it collides with.

is it worth creating an intentional memory leak to keep my game's waifu alive throughout the session?

I don't really understand what you are trying to do, but you can make a new sprite on the fly with surfaces.

>take two of the same object
>they combine into one new object on collision

what do you mean by combine though.

I hope this is all an elaborate ruse. The thought of moving over to the shithole called eightchan seemed like a good joke half an year ago, but now I suddenly don't feel like laughing.

The day Veeky Forums stops saying faggot and nigger is the day it dies and I'm not gonna look back.

Wait, how can you avoid memory leaks using persistent data? I'm using C#. I haven't encountered any problems yet but seeing comments like this makes me worried.

I don't have art, or music currently. I'm focusing on gameplay and stability first. I've done practice memory management in like c++ making linked lists and messing with pointers so I kind of know how it works. I assumed the garbage collector would stop memory leaks for the most part.

JESUS CHRIST AM I FUCKING MYSELF OVER AS I TYPE THIS?

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm wanting at least half a dozen characters for my game and all I can think of is one character. What should I do? Any advice?

you can't create a memory leak in C#, anything that no longer has a reference is automatically culled by the garbage collector

I take it back, you can create a memory leak, but only if you open a web connection - that never closes unless you close it yourself

I wouldn't imagine this is a hard concept to understand, user.