Why do Americans love pickups so much?

Aren't vans more convenient to haul stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lq_6FMT8xoI
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_vnJaYHgAM
youtube.com/watch?v=HflDc7PUT2g
youtube.com/watch?v=fTqra4YSsaM
youtube.com/watch?v=06o-EYH9svs
youtube.com/watch?v=WaSy8yy-mr8
youtube.com/watch?v=yCSMCgqlc-0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not really. Its pretty nice being able to toss shit over the bedrail.
And vans have that rapewagon stigma to them.
Full size trucks still hit that American Harley bone, why buy a girl truck when you can shell out more cash for a heavy duty 4x4 truck?

Professionals use vans, yeah. Leave anything valuable or portable in a truck bed it will be stolen.

Trucks are kinda like murrican drive to be independant. Sometimes you need a truck to haul shit or traverse a ditch in the winter. It's never nesscity truck owners will always say 'oh I need to tow a jetski/dirtbike/camper' when they really don't. Or they think they need a truck because they go down dirt roads its just justifying the choice to themselves because they really got a truck for subcultural reasons, ego, or whatever.

>I don't have a reason so no one else can!
>projecting this hard

Their size boosts their ego. Most people don't use them for work related purposes.

I've never even met a person that used a big pick up for work and I work construction.

You can tow a 250lb jet ski or dirtbike with a car.

I swear to god half of you are idiots. I have a pick up and now that I do I dont know how I lived with out. It hauls lumber, stone, furniture, tools and all kinds of other stuff.

Also for you people that say you never see big trucks doing work I wonder if you ever leave the house. I see everything from rangers to 4500 series small dumps hauling and pulling all day long.

To the guy who works construction and says he never sees a truck working, not sure if bait, blind or just stupid.

The engine compartment of a pickup is much easier to work on than a van
4x4 trucks are much more common than 4x4 vans
Pickups separate the dirty payload from the passenger compartment
You can put a cap on a pickup, you can't take the top off a van

Only pickups I see on a jobsite are like 90's compact trucks driven by Mexicans and the fat-ass dually the foreman drives.

Nobody working trades uses a big pick up unless you mean the lawn care people towing riding lawnmowers.

If you ever worked a trade you know it's dumb as fuck to put your tools in a truck bed. If you have some extended cab and keep them in the cab, why not just use a car? My work vehicle is a VW Jetta sedan with the rear seats down to fit my condiut benders.

This.

Muh truck

You sound like a blithering moron who makes 10/he doing mexi labor 'construction' work.
I see more construction people driving pickups than vans, except for plumbers, painters, and electricians.

Obviously your shitskin coworkers drive rangers and s10s, they probably haul a bag of shitty kobalt tools and a disgustingly filthy igloo water dispenser.

I drive a truck because fuck you all, that's what I drive and I have the money to pay for it. But this user here is right on. There's been a shitload of construction going on downtown, building a new stadium and every car I see parked on/near the construction site is a POS civic or jetta or corolla. I've seen maybe 2 pickups, and both of them were beat to shit 2wd, extra cab 80s Toyotas.

The absence of a top on the bed of a truck allows for a greater volume of payload.

From the owner of a van and a truck, no. Unless you need to keep whatever it is dry it's easier to put something in the back of a pickup than into a typical van. Some Sprinter style tall vans aren't too bad though

The truth is that the rest of the world is upset their streets were designed in the 1200s.

They are unable to accommodate American freedom.

okay, i never see brodozers hauling which are the biggest, loudest, smalldickest trucks ever

go to norcal mountains and they all have small 4x4 toyotas that are too small and too tall to really haul shit but their filled to the brim with gascans, chainsaws, soil and generators

go to oregon and its all 30y.o dad trucks with a lumber rack and 1/3 the time filled with a load

go to a suburb in california and its giant lifted shiny pickup trucks driven by dudes that look like the biggest douches ever, never hualing shit

go to a city in california and its little singlecab shortbed pickup trucks filled to 12 feet high with gardening tools or scrapmetal and 3 mexican guys up front

go to las vegas or san diego and its a bunch of pickuptrucks with huge lightbars and insanse suspension so they can have fun driving fast on dirt roads

go to oil country and its also giant shiny lifted bro dozers not hauling shit becuase all the tools are at their job

and then theres union construction guys with giant fucking overpowered trucks that haul 1/8th the shit you see in those little mexican nissans and toyotas. i guess its so they can hual their trailer full of 'toys' on the weekend

Merci Twingo.

Always find these people interesting. It really depends on where you live as to how much trucks get used, for the most part. Although, I know people, myself included, that really get good use out of owning their trucks.

t. inna city truck owner.

Trucks are fine, but only if you follow the basic rules:

1. Do you own a truck or a Jeep?

Yes: Refer to 2
No: Carry on with life

2. Do you have have a job that requires you to own a truck/jeep or do you own a boat and/or a trailer for hauling cars or motorcycles, or do you live in an area with heavy snowfall that an AWD non-truck/jeep could not possibly handle?

Yes: Carry on with life
No: Refer to 3

3. Does your Jeep or Truck have a lift kit?

Yes: Refer to 4
No: Refer to 5

4. Do you use your truck for muddin or rock crawling?

Yes: Carry on with life, hillbilly
No: Refer to 5

5. Do you go offroading(not including muddin or rock crawling) or go hunting, thus require something to carry your kill?

Yes: Carry on with life.
No: Refer to 6

6. Have you at least graduated college?

Yes: You really have no need to own a truck and are probably suffering from small whitey dick syndrome and your girl is probably fucking a bigger man behind your back.
No: Refer to A

A. If you've answered the following questions and ended up here, McFucking kill yourself Mallrat. You're a stain and a drain on society, and your girl prefers big black dick anyways

>Aren't vans more convenient to haul stuff?
maybe if you cut the roof off.....

Combine proper trailer, and anything else you're taking while jetskiing and or dirtbiking. Your toyota corolla 1500lb towing isn't going to be enough.

You need at least a V6 sedan or something.

Also frame strength.

While it's true most people don't NEED a 1/2 ton truck, it's cheaper to just buy a 1/2 ton with extended cab and pay for 1 insurance (cos gas is cheap so who cares) than to have a truck and a car which is 2 insurance.

And that's why you see people hauling families in trucks, gas is cheap, insurance isn't. Why buy two cars when a truck does your family and shit hauling?

Also no, vans are a pain to clean if you're carrying something like me.

My poor CRV, i need a truck.

1. not limited by roof height for bed storage
2. 5th wheel hitch on a consumer vehicle without a weird dolly setup

Because our infrastructure and government don't force us into driving the smallest least powerful hatchbacks we can find. As such, the desire for that didn't really seep into our culture until recently with the hipsters.
In general we buy what we what and what we find useful. The usefulness of pickups without legislative restriction has ingrained them into our culture.

As far as vans being more convenient, it greatly depends on the cargo. For many an SUV best fits the gap with a body more similar to a van but retaining all the capability of a pickup.

We have a 5th wheel camper. I'm pretty damn sure a truck is fucking needed, your post is a trainwreck

You're a faggot and that wasn't even funny.

There's a lot of reasons that can't be discussed in just one post.

It's American culture. Similar to guns and muscle cars.

The U.S. was majorly rural mid-20th century. Every farm had a truck to haul around hay/livestock. Their kids learned to drive in the pasture. They go buy a truck and the cycle continues. Kids learning to drive on backroads instead of pastures.

Social norms say that a guy has to own a truck (to be seen as handy by a woman) and a woman owns a econobox or a SUV/CUV.

Vans have a social stigma around them. If you pulled up to the lake in a Ford Transit towing your bass boat all of your buddies would laugh their ass off at you.

US fuel economy regulations fucked over large land barges (Crown Vic, etc). Those who used to buy a large V8 RWD sedan now buy a large V8 RWD truck. That is one of the reasons trucks have become more luxurious in the past twenty years.

Bands like Florida Georgia Line have pushed suburbanites towards trucks.

Buying a truck opens up new hobbies to you. You can throw a four wheeler/dirt bike/jon boat in the back.

THIS! I can't tell you how true this is. As to the band he mentioned, just look at these lyrics and tell me it isn't embedded in American culture.
youtube.com/watch?v=lq_6FMT8xoI

This bro gets it. Trucks are status symbols around here, just like new boots were in the 1880s.

The west coast is gay breh.

Single cab utes with flat trays can take 2 pallets from a forklift, although i have seen pallets in vans it's not a very good idea.

Consumerism, willingly being manipulated by marketing

>pickup means freedum

>Single cab utes with flat trays can take 2 pallets from a forklift, although i have seen pallets in vans it's not a very good idea.
Leave it to an Australian to make the most retarded post of the thread.

more proof it's in American culture:
youtube.com/watch?v=HflDc7PUT2g
youtube.com/watch?v=fTqra4YSsaM
youtube.com/watch?v=06o-EYH9svs
youtube.com/watch?v=WaSy8yy-mr8

That last song was on Billboards Hot 100 for a long ass time. It's a list of the hottest songs in America at any given moment and is updated weekly.

I watched an accord at my local marina for over an hour sit and spin his wheels trying to get his jetski out before begging someone with a truck to help him.

hit the nail on the head. I haul furniture with mine sometimes.

>Let's go get this thing stuck!
Sounds about right.

Congrats, you found a retard

Because pickups are more convenient to haul feels

youtube.com/watch?v=yCSMCgqlc-0
this is a cringe thread now

I have never been able to understand the appeal of a truck. The whole convenience factor of just "throwing something into the bed" is a complete meme because it just comes flying out unless you tie it down. At least in a cargo van, you actually can just throw it in the back.

Sometimes I see shit about going off-roading or like that one user said "traversing a ditch" which is also a complete meme. Take your new F150 or Tundra over a ditch and see what happens. I don't know what kind of person actually believes those TV commercials of the Fords riding up rocky mountainsides and shit but I guarantee you will fuck your car up attempting anything even close to that if it's stock

Really the only advantage I can see is that the interiors are more decorated than what you will find in cargo vans. Driving my buddy's F250 feels like driving a castle. Driving my company's E250 just feels like driving a van.

Oh, and towing shit. That is about the only other valid reason I can see for owning a truck.

this reminds me
>yuropoor
>some poor bastard in an opel astra tried to get his boat out of the water on a trailer
>smoke everywhere, I'm surprised how the engine didn't blow up
>they're starting to move
>suddenly he gains traction, gains speed, loses control
>in a few meters he manages to swerve around manically, trailer flying left and right like it's gta physics
>boat capsizes back into the water
and then some retard europeans try to say "but i can tow with muh shitbox and this trailer", jack shit, your shitbox probably can't tow more than 150 kilos

Europeans are also mad they can't own cool guns.

Put it this way:
You may not always use the extra off-road capability, you may not use the extra towing capacity more than 3-4 times a year, you may not need 4x4 more than a couple of times a year, you may not need the storage more than 5 times a year.

However, if you have it, you'll use it. Friend needs help moving? Pile ungodly amounts of furniture, easily, into the truck bed. Tow a big trailer full of shit at the same time. Over his lawn and garden so it's easier to unload at the front door.

Having my car, I'm very conscious of the fact that I have a car. I plan camping trips in places I know I can get to. I think about how to haul purchases home. I weigh cost of renting a truck versus doing several trips in the car, or trying to load up my tiny trailer.

When I had my truck, none of that shit was a concern. You can wing it, with confidence, all the time.

Plus they're comfy. Plus they're reliable, and easier to work on. More aftermarket if you want to customize it, popular so OEM parts are cheap and abundant, junk yards are full, etc.

So weigh the additional cost of gas and purchase price against those things.

You probably have a phone that can launch a 1970s space shuttle, do you use all of its capability all the time? Of course not, but you still paid the extra so that you *can* do cool stuff with it, and don't have to worry about the limitations.

Except vans age just as good for towing unless you're talking about a fifth wheel hitch. But brodozers are too high for fifth wheels anyway.

This

>I need a truck because I have shit tires
Can someone explain this meme to me?

Reddit is good at memes, try there.

what would you rather load with 20, 40lb bags of dirt. a truck where you toss the bags over the rail, and can stack from the sides, or a van where you have to climb in to arrange them each time?

>not having a person in the bed stacking them properly

>having to make a person stand hunchbacked for 15 minutes

no thanks i liked standing upright and just tossing my shit and peeling out

This is true.

I would rather haul my shit unstolen.

gob blets ameriga

kek, only posted that one because it was pickup truck related.

never had dirt stolen before. my cousin once had a 100lb bag of corn taken out of his truck.

i go from pickup to drop off to make sure niggers cant fuck with my shit

a lot of americans are awful fucking drivers, especially the middle aged children of boomers, that use pickups and SUV's to compensate for actually being a good driver

a lot of pickup and SUV owners don't signal to turn or change lanes, will change lanes while stopped at a red light when they realize they're turning the wrong direction or not going straight, will change lanes unsignalled into traffic and force smaller cars out of their lane, drift into and out of lanes, run stop signs and red lights, and do well below the speed limit, and have the balls to get mad when their gigantic land barge is doing 10~15 under and they get passed by a civic/focus/corolla/jetta. none of these people know how to park, if they do manage to park in the parking spot they picked it's only because there's so many trucks on the road and they have to by sheer volume and chance get it right some of the time by complete coincidence. These people buy those vehicles under the pretense of being safer, when in reality they just don't want to drive as safely as they should

Vans are more convenient for a lot of trades, but also harder to find. Even passenger vans (other than minivans) can be a special order item.

Trucks are everywhere because they have been marketed as being the vehicle of the modern cowboy/real man/rebel - so for emotional and not practical reasons.

Americans have forever ruined trucks by turning them into oversized lifestyle vehicles.

I find this interesting as someone with a truck, multiple trailers, multiple vehicles and machines that get towed on those trailers, and a ranch.

i dont like the "luxury" trucks, i like reg or ext cab and long beds.

You've forever ruined politics by turning it into unbelievable SJW identity-victim game.

Good work, Yurep. Thanks for the Frankfurt School & Cultural Marxism.

Not really. The most convenient is a flatbed. I have a long bed 1/4 ton pickup with cargo bars over the bed that I bought for next to nothing. I could pack up nearly everything I own on/in the rear.

It's easier to haul stuff in a pickup than a van, but it's safer in a van. I have a van, and I'm saving up to buy a good pickup because I'm tired of dealing with it. Plus in a pickup you have more visibility.

people in the us feel the need to feel 'superior' over others. they get a feeling of superiority by owning a truck. Thus manufacturers cater to these idiots and make them giant la-z-boys with 10k cupholders and 0 functionality. ever increasing the size and bulbousness of the exterior and eliminating the functionality and utilitariansm of the vehicle to appease the ever dumber consumer mindset.
tl;dr if you own a truck just to drive and never haul anything kill yourelf.

>implying raw materials getting stolen out the back has ever been an issue
Stop working in Berlin/Detroit.

This post have me AIDS.

>my usecase is the only usecase

>small dick and/or compensating references

This argument always pops up whenever the insecure talk about trucks and really says a lot about the credibility of the person spouting bullshit.

You just described every normal shitty driver. The only difference is truck/large suv drivers are more noticeable because, surprise, they're bigger. In the city all the shitstain drivers are all boiracers, women in 2014+ sedans, or just trashy people in general driving whatever sedan they stole last week.

I will give you credit for the parking thing though. I drive a pickup and get pissed when people don't know how to drive or park their own trucks. It's not like it's vastly different from driving a regular car.

it's not untrue that you'll be made fun of for driving a small car in most areas of the us. and that if you don't drive a truck you're a pussy, etc. and that guys who drive trucks feel like they can drive like cunts because they're in a bigger vehicle.
basically if you own a truck for non business/farm/utility reasons you're a tryhard faggot who drinks budlight and fucks his buddy up the ass when you say you're out hunting and fishing.

Agreed. But the proportion of people that buy them only for the "status" is much lower than the Veeky Forums memetistics would lead you to believe. Most people can only afford 1 good vehicle, and if occasionally they need to haul things or go off road, your options are trucks/vans/large SUVs. The big SUVs are hugely expensive, the vans are rolling Aushwitz to spend a long journey in, and trucks are abundant and popular. Seems like the best choice.

Notice that none of that reasoning had penis size in it.

You really should seek help for all of that unwarranted angst user. I remember I had a focus for awhile in one of the most well known agriculture towns in TX where more vehicles on the roads were trucks than cars, and literally none of the problems you're describing exists. I've been in quite a few southern towns like that actually, and while I did get a hard time about brands and all that when I got my truck (read: men joking around), it was never the "HYUCK HYUCK WHAT A KEK" attitude like you're describing.

At this point I'm just convinced your girlfriend ran off with a farmer and you've been pissy about it ever since.

I've been struggling with a euro sized van (transit connect) for hauling my racebike and associated equipment for 6 months, along with frequent heavy metal pieces for work. It takes time to load and unload, I can't get stuff in and out of it with a crane, a forklift is not much better, it is terrible for towing even a tiny 800lb trailer, and it struggles to hold Texas highway speeds. The only advantage is 27mpg and cargo security. I'll probably replace it with a pickup and trailer, even though I hate towing.

If you own a full size truck and don't do any towing, you're a little dick faggot.

t. mini truck bro

But, mini truck life in america is great.

2wd, 5-speed, long bed, it don't get no better.

Yes, A lot of city dwellers have trucks they never really use. Though if you people ever find a way to get into the bush (Sorry, I know buses don't run there) You'd realize that some people actually use their trucks.

Even if you never go offroad or haul anything a truck is pretty damn nice for a lot of things. They're awesome in winter and for cruising down the highway.

Never seen a car haul two skids of flooring on a goose neck trailer.

>They're awesome in winter and for cruising down the highway.
Sorry, but you're wrong on two different counts.

They're horrific in the snow until you load the bed up with unnecessary weight.
>inb4 4x4
You're not cruising in 4 hi so don't mention it.

A large sedan is better for cruising down the highway.

>you're not cruising in 4 hi so don't mention it
You are if you have to get to work across town in a blizzard

>You're not cruising in 4 hi so don't mention it.
>You're not using one of the features of a truck
And you're retarded.

Not only that, most trucks have an auto setting with slip detection based AWD, like small crossovers.

Hungarian living in America here

Trucks are cool, they have the comfy affordable luxury of an SUV, minus the useless seats and shit in the back. It's super convenient being able to just throw shit in the back. The car is big but not as heavy as an SUV. They handle nicely, good ground clearance, good visibility. If I had the money for a second car I'd buy a truck.

This. My 1500 has a LSD center and is amazing on the dirt in low. Very easy to flick it for some hectik weight transfer in turns.

Big vehicles for big people.

I wouldn't want to tow anything to large without a truck to be honest.

I had a RWD Mazda B2300 for a few years living in an area where the Winter gets so bad that I couldn't make it around town without tire chains and almost overloading the bed with snow. Even then I had to avoid steeper areas.

Traded it in for a 2005 Ford Ranger with 4WD and it has made all the difference. I don't need the chains anymore and I barely need to load down the bed to keep rear traction on ice.

My wife's Civic can't make it most places when the weather gets like that so we generally both use the pick up 2-4 months out of the year.

>Live in Northern Michigan
>All my friends tell me to get a truck with 4WD
>They always tell me I'll be late to classes
>MSU sees some good snowfall from time to time
>Drive 02 Mustang GT with Blizzaks
>Laugh at all my 4WD friends because they think Duratracs & KOs are "snow" tires
>Laugh at them when I can out accelerate them from a dead stop
Truck fags are the worse here at MSU. Subaru guys are obnoxious vape faggots but they know tires are more important than the drivetrain.

However
>Pulling hectic skids in the GT on rural roads following truck Bros
>They ask me if I want to get hectic
>Now headed down fire lanes in a Mustang GT
>Eventually get to the point I'm plowing snow
>Belt squealing
>Lights dim
>Temperature rising
>Loss of power
>Car feels weightless
>Stop and open engine bay
>Packed full of snow, hardly anything visible
>Knock snow off everything and let idle
>Body is supported by thick wet snow
>Need a tug to get going again
>Went home and haven't tried trudging through snow deeper than the fenders since

As long as I avoid snow that is literally over the fenders it keeps going.

So you understand an advantage of a Truck, and how it is better in the snow than a sedan/pony car.

What's the diffrence between the B2300 and the ranger anyway?

Also i can relate. I live in Canada, and even part time AWD on my 99 CRV made tons of difference while everyone was slipping around.

But don't underestimate tires, i still keep chains in all my cars, awd or not.

>Truck loving Hungarian
I always find people who immigrate to America to be more American than Americans.

There isn't much difference between the two. One is Japanese made and the other Murrikan. I really haven't felt too much of a difference in terms of quality. The 4WD was really the only major upgrade and you can get that on other B series pick ups, just not sure about the 2300 specifically.

I never seen a legit general contractor haul skids worth of building material with anything less than an international 4300 or an f-650.

Seen a 5th wheel f-350 trying to drag a horse trailer out of a muddy 4% incline shoulder though.

ITT: A bunch of faggots telling other faggots how to live their lives.

>A bunch of faggots telling other faggots how to live their lives.

/website

I hadn't thought of this but it kinda makes sense

Typically it's delivered on a flatbed. Usually unloaded by a fork truck the supplier carries or on a conveyor belt.

When I was doing residential building we didn't waste time putting anything other than tools in the bed of the truck. We'd pick a trailer that suited our needs and off we went.

Jeremy explained that all too well.