Is this worth $200?

Is this worth $200?

My buddy wants to scrap his 1993 Saturn SL2 but offered to sell it to me for $200. I was going to split it $100 each wtih other friend as a shitty project car, but fuck me is it a project.

Here's a run down after I went to check it myself. Keep in mind the car had been sitting for a month out on the curb without being started in that month. I'll include more pictures in the thread. Feel free to laugh at me for even considering paying the $200. At the very least he's willing to tow it to my house for free, and will throw in the Haynes service manual for it.

-Needs new battery (tried jumping but it didn't turn over)
-Driver airbagged already deploy (see pictures)
-Windshield has a big long crack in it (see pictures)
-Front is damaged
-AC works, just needs new filter
-Front and Rear lights work
-He said he installed a new crank shaft sensor so I'll have to check more on that
-Has 214,076 miles before the odometer stopped working (he said it could be around 400,000 currently for all he knows)
-Haven't checked vin yet but I might aswell in VIN bro's threads

And the biggest issue probably is that he said it won't pass smog.

I don't plan on using the car on public streets anyway but to be towed to empty dirt tracks on private land to fuck around in and pretend to be a rally driver. Am I in over my head on this? Would it just be a money drainer? How much do you think would it cost to get it into working order?

If the cost to get it into working order is equal to that of an already working lowend shitbox I might just pass.

Under the hood

Driver side. The blue switch I think he said led to the radiator or something along those lines.

He wired it directly to the fuse box and said, "to remember to turn it on before you start the car and after you turn it off". It was at this point I was severly debating whether to outright walk away, but the low price of $200 kept me vaguely interested.

Note the deployed airbag. When I asked about the passenger side, he said, "I don't think there is one". Fuck me

Windshield, note the crack.

He said he thinks the car was in an accident, when I brought up the airbags being deployed he didn't even know if was or not, considering he'd been driving it already in the past you'd think he'd notice the big tear in the wheel.

Buy the car and use it as a toilet

Just let him scrap it m8

Front damage

Passenger side.

eh it has a lot of miles and these engines burn a lot of oil. Because its a 93 it doesn't have obd2 and one of the main problems with this is at wot it leans out and burns valves, dohc specifically.

if it runs now, just run it until it dies honestly. fixing it to the point of passing smog might not return what you want as the engine will probably give sometime after it.

These cars are cheap find another one with less miles to thrash.

That's what was in my head the entire time looking it over.

I could probably find a more decent condition shitter for the cost of repairs

When he said the odometer crapped out and might be sitting around 400,000 miles I was about ready to call it a day and thank him for letting me look it over

I'd skip it, OP.

Fuse box, with his DIY Radiator switch I believe installed. Note the blue wires which lead to the driver side.

Buy it for $200 and sell it to some mexican scrapper for $300. $100 profit to get a half hour with a mid tier hooker or and hour with a crabs tier hooker and some cheap blow.

Do it. Worst case scenario, you can always keep it for a long term project, maybe make it into a Mad Max mobile and crash it around the woods. >inb4 neck injuries

That's funny, I was considering the possiblity of buying it then scrapping it for higher but I don't think I could be that big of an asshole.

>Mad Max style

The idea of it not passing smog makes that more of a viable option at this point

Since it's 1993 he's most likely correct about the no passenger airbag. I don't think they were required by law until 1994.

>my 1993 Civic didn't have one
>my 1994 has one

For $200 and a hanes manual I consider that a good deal. If you split it $100 with your friend like you said then I personally see zero reason to not do it unless you're really tight on money. and if you are why try to start a project car?

Unless you own a farm or have a bunch of vacant land/desert/whatever to drive it round on don't bother. Even if you do have somewhere to drive it, you'll likely get bored of it within a few hours and crash it or set it on fire or something just for lulz.

You can probably find a slightly newer twin-cam version of the same thing for $1000 or less.

Get it able to turn with new tires and brakes, and enter into LeMons.
Have fun. Trash the car. Christen it the "Plastic fantastic" when you win.

spend $200 and fuck around with it as a project car
scrap it when done to reclaim ~$100
you've effectively spent $100 without having to split it.

>switch instead of a fuse
This seems like a bad idea.

Buy it and part it out. You'll likely double or triple your money off the parts. Then have some shit hauler come and take it away. Profit$