What is the most reliable supercar?

They all seem to fall apart or light up like fireworks. Do any supercars actually last?

Other urls found in this thread:

jalopnik.com/5843016/is-the-mclaren-mp4-12c-a-lemon
youtube.com/watch?v=55okojHB7Rg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

original NSX and dodge viper last pretty well

Any viper, older vettes, most 911's.

McLaren, Koenigsegg, 918.

Those are hardly exotic though, even if they can match supercar performance.

Honda NSX

>hand built limited run sports cars with outlandish styling aren't exotic
Veeky Forums

Audi R8 is more reliable than most of the RSs

The NSX is not a supercar you fanbois. It's underpowered and underengineered. The Fiero might as well be a supercar if the NSX is. It's a nice sports car, but supercar it is not.

>muh hp/litre

NO REPLACEMENT

FOR DISPLACEMENT

It looks like a supercar, it was priced like a supercar, it performed as well as supercars from its time

But it's not a super car because you said so

It doesn't just match, it out performs them

>NSX's, Vettes, GT-R's, and Viper's are faster than most supercars of their time
>but aren't supercars because they are reasonably priced and somewhat reliable

What is the point of supercars besides badgewhoring?

>Priced
No
>Performs
No
All look, no go. The riceburner generation was birthed by the NSX. A bunch of faggots with their 130 horsepower civics with a body kit that think they're hot shit. Just like rice, the NSX tries to look the part because it doesn't have the ass to back it up with.

Butthurt Ferrari fan kiddy detected

>goes fast in a straight line, therefore supercar

Kys

Uhh... dick waving?

You're right, the NSX outperformed its Ferrari rivals

>supercharged
>mid-engined
>rear or all-wheel drive

It's a supercar

Porsche carrera 911 and 997. Have a client who drives his 4WD one even in winter. It has never failed him EXCEPT not starting during the coldest days of the polar vortex from last year. It's a 2011 and he's put 78k on the odo.

Apparently the Mercedes Mclaren SLR is built to the same levels as normal 4 door sedans and it's ungodly reliable. It's just people who own them drive it maybe twice a year. Out of fear of scratching it or something ridiculous.

And Mclaren in general makes supercars that can easily pull off daily driver duty

Really it's just Italians that can't into supercars

>it performed as well as supercars from its time

wasn't it just lower level Ferraris (exotic sports cars)? then again i have no idea what qualified as "Super car" back then. i thought it was just cars like the XJ220, F40, 959 and Mclaren F1. if the NSX was a super-car then what about the before mentioned? are they "Hyper Cars"? didn't think that was a tern that existed back then or was used much.

They can into supercars, but they lack supercar reliability

>its not a supercar
>here are some opinions to back that up

gtfo

Baby Ferraris are considered supercars, the cars you mentioned are the fastest of the fast and can be considered hypercars though that term is relatively new

>next fastest is a full second behind

Why is the Viper so completely, utterly dominant?

Nobody in this thread so far has the vaguest idea how reliable any supercar is, yet they post anyway

>facerub.jaypeegee
All these butthurt fanbois.

Not hardly, Ferrari had some pretty shit cars in the late 80s and early 90s.

LUUUUUUL
NSX SOOPERCAR BTFO BY PRELUDE
What a fucking embarrassment to even be in the same test line up as Honda's economy sport coupe.

Not all supercars, just shitty Ferraris

Learn to read fucktard

NSX: 1:22.0
Lude: 1:25.0

This would be a 15 second difference on Nurburgerking

>didn't think that was a tern that existed back then or was used much.

Someone who was reasonably old back when those cars were new here. They were mainly called sportscars, all of them.

>niggles

hehe

It's hard to say because 99.9% of supercars never get substantial miles put on them, and are excessively babied and well cared for.

I can tell you that 458s are decent for a "supercar." Just don't press the brake too hard or the master cylinder will break off the firewall, and don't shift aggressively too much or the gearbox will stop working.

Corvettes arent supercars you stupid fuck

You seem to misunderstand Supercar buyers.

They only want a car that looks and performs well, with high quality materials and tactile responses to driver inputs.

These cars are owned for a little while and then peddled off to someone else a few months later. Or they're driven every now and then and otherwise kept in a garage their entire lives, seeing constant service from trained technicians.

Reliability is not a concern.

For the longest time the whole "Tactile feedback to driver inputs" thing wasn't a concern for constructors, either, until Honda and the NSX showed up and said, "Your shit sucks." The NSX upended Ferrari's quality control, influenced the McLaren F1 and showed the world that these cars need to be less shit.

How is a corvette not a supercar? It puts down supercar lap times and even destroys a lot of other super cars while doing it.

LFA

>Super cars
>Reliable
Yknow, one of the reasons those V8s in land barges wheren't making mad power, was because they where detuned to allow less wear on the engine meaning those things can go for millions of miles. Look at the town car, a mere 260 max from a v8, but they last hundreds of thousands of miles as taxis.

Do the opposite, tune it for power, more stress and the engine doesn't last as long. Simple as that.

Dodge challenger/charger SRT hellcats.

Yes i know, fix it again tony, but being based on a normal sedan platform means they're not too unreliable.

>inb4 not super cars
One is the fastest 4 door so that's gotta count for something.

I can disprove you

The whole idea behind supercars being supercars is that they have everything cranked to the maximum allowed by the materials that are used, so reliability is non-existent.

>It puts down supercar lap times
so this civic is a supercar?

Yes, it is. Supercars isn't only exotic italian cars. Shit like Bugatti Veyron is hypercar actually.

If the vette is one, I don't see any problem the Civic being one too.
It costs an insane amount of money, is extremely fast pretty much anywhere as long as there's proper road and completely unusable as a daily driver. Sounds like a super car to me.

The vette on the other hand I wouldn't call a super car. Shit, it's your average two door sports car, it's even a quite feasible choice for a drug dealer apparently.

Depends on Corvette's performance. I'm not much for american cars but if it's at least as good as Viper then it qualifies as a supercar.

911's aren't supercars either.

>Camry V6
>Truck motor

>Exotic
>Supercar
No.

>honda
>camry

>v10
>truck motor
Yes.

>Looks
Subjective.
>Price
Not an indication of supercar status. A golden Corolla costs as much as a supercar, but it isn't one.
>Performance
Not an indication of supercar status. Certain sports cars (aero-heavy Vipers for example) can match supercar performance - it doesn't make them supercars.

>Le smug anime face
6/10, I fell for it.

A GT3 RS isn't a supercar, it's a High End sportscar.

>What is the point of supercars besides badgewhoring?
Solid, but not exceptional, performance while badgewhoring.

Rapid technological advancement (e.g. LaF/918/P1) and exceptional performance while badgewhoring = hypercar.

>this same faggotry

Are you dumb? Viper is a supercar. Being a supercar has a lot to do with the performance.

This. 911 turbos also come with 4 year warranty.

>Porsche 911
Sportscar, not supercar.

>3900lbs
>V8
>Front engine
>5spd torque converter automatic
Not a supercar. Sportscar or, more likely, Grand Tourer (like the SLS and AMG GT).

McLarens electronic swaybars really do work wonders, but their in-cabin electronics still have some work left to do. It's certainly possible to daily one, and there's no reputation of catastrophic failures there. Anything that does break, should be covered by warranty anyways - unless you're stupid enough to buy a supercar without one.

The McLaren 12C was very unreliable:
jalopnik.com/5843016/is-the-mclaren-mp4-12c-a-lemon

The SLR is excessively expensive to repair:
youtube.com/watch?v=55okojHB7Rg

>SLR not a supercar
You're right, it's been referred to as hypercar royalty

Halo car, sportscar, grand tourer. Probably not a supercar though.

>hypercar reality

Fucking word play games some cucks play in order to market their shitboxes as "more-elite-than-your-overpriced-Italian-fire starter"

No. The main reason landbarge V8's were making pathetic outputs,was because of emissions.

Alright then, Accord V6. I'm sorry for confusing two bland Japanese cars makers and their midsized V6 sedans.

The Viper V10 was a modified truck motor (essentially a 5.9 Magnum with two extra cylinders), and was used in SRT10 trucks. Therefore, truck motor.

A supercar has the engine in the middle.

The Viper is simply an exceptionally good sportscar, with extremely good performance.

SLR is front engined. Supercars since the Miura ought to be mid engined.

>Supercars since the Miura ought to be mid engined
says who?

>A supercar has the engine in the middle.
What the fuck where did you get that one?

A supercar is one that's expensive and has an exceptional performance. Above that are hypercars, that exceed supercars in both performance and money.

supercar owner here.

the reason you guys think they're unreliable is the following.

>Idiots redlining them non stop in traffic over and over with no sort of cooling for over 500+ hp = fires
>Dickheads who can't into RWD crashing them is not a design flaw, it's a fuckwit driver

And most of all, due to engineering designs, the higher you get in HP the more shit will wear out eventually. It's just a matter of time before it needs a rebuild. It's a fact of life with every single built or factory supercar.

tl:dr respect your car and it will last longer, but eventually piston rings and shit will go, much sooner on a high hp car than your 100hp shitbox.

it's why toyotas are reliable, they're low power and low stress.

Collins English Dictionary: "a very expensive, fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine".

The term supercar started before WW2, and was completely loose back then. In the early muscle car era (early '60s), it was used for exceptionally good muscle cars, like the Pontiac GTO. The Miura however was the first modern supercar with it's mid-engine, good looks, desirability, high price, and great performance. Note that a supercar does not have to be the fastest, it's speed and laptops can be beat by a great sportscar, like a Viper ACR/Nissan GT-R.

There is no strict definition for a hypercar, but I'd define it as a supercar that pushes technological boundaries, has exceptional performance, and only a handful exist at any given time. Example: LaF/918/P1/Regera. These should not be beat by any sportscar.

>centrally located engine
As in between the axles

Front-mid layouts are a thing too, you know

I know FMR exists. A dictionary meant for normies who don't know the meaning of 'supercar', however, that's a different thing.

I think a Huayra. In one of Salomondrin's videos he says this car is fairly reliable and daily drive-able. Look up his videos.

The only sport cars i would daily drive are german. Everything else has shit tier reliability.

German sportscars =/= supercars.

a dictionary that you use

>german cars
>reliable

oldest meme.

Learn2read.jpg

I thought the Viper's clutch had to be replaced with every oil change

No super car has ever or ever will be reliable. Being unreliable is a requirement for any good supercar, why? Because being unreliable draws attention to a car, which is the entire point of a supercar in the first place

>car is tuned to the point of needing a rebuild every race
>you want it to be reliable
reliability comes from detuning the engine. less power, more weight.

>Ferrari 458
>126 HP/L
>ticking time bomb that won't make 50k

>Honda S2000
>120HP/L
>super reliable

New gt3 did 1:29 iirc

What are you talking about? Ferrari is reliable as long as you rebuild the motor every 12k miles.

All (most) japanese cars are reliable and DD though. No matter if hypercar or shitbox

he sold it tho and now all he has is fucking Porsches

>Porsche Carrera GT
>Porsche 918
>Porsche 911 GT3 RS
>Porsche 911r coming

lost all respect for the guy. shit taste

Can you blame him for picking the best sports car manufacturer though?

Duh, Lexus of course!

That's during 70s with the gas crunch.

During 60s, you could get a Lincoln continental with 500 lbft torque and 360 hp.