Motorcycle ignition

Hey Veeky Forums last night some pos tried to steal my motorcycle. Apparently they were to fucking stupid to actually steal the thing and just jammed a screw driver down the ignition and fucked it all up. Is there anyway I can get it started without that? Basically just need to drive it to the shop so they can replace it.

2008 gs500 is the bike if that helps.

>inb4 gs500 memes

I also have road side assistance but I'm not sure they will come pick up my bike from the driveway.

How about calling them and ask? this situation is a perfect reason to call road side assistance

If you don't have the totally basic AAA then the motorcycle "tow" is included.

I assume you have to repair it because it's your main DD. But what are you going to do to stop them from trying again? The thieves probably went to ask their friends for help. Or may ask in forums or chats how to steal the bike from some racist jerk of a guy to teach him a lesson.

I'm not saying you are. But that is one way those dindu put things online to justify what they are doing as righteous. The online Veeky Forums Veeky Forums term "dindu" doesn't mean the same thing over here culturally speaking. Here, the proper expansion of "dindu" is "I did not do anything wrong". It doesn't mean "I didn't do anything at all".

That distinction is important here because it often means they will try to do it again. Because to them it is the right thing to do. So, I don't know how the dindu culture is where you are. Over here, Black Lives Matter is pretty active and plenty of demonstrations have occurred. They even show up at political meetings to disrupt them to make sure the politicians (they don't really seem to care about the general population) see the message and obey BLM or be subject to further disruptions.

So, you need to do something about your bike. If that picture is an accurate representation of how new your bike is, then you should wheel it inside for awhile. Even if you live on the 2nd floor, you might make a deal with someone on the first floor.

If it's an old ratty bike,then hmm, perhaps you can invest $29 in a cheap 2 spotlight night light with automatic sensors. Your other alternative is to buy three things. A long cable with scratch guard. Two kryptonite-style thick U-shaped locks suitable for motorbikes. One krytonite for each wheel and the cable is lashed over the seat and through one of the wheels. The purpose of the cable is to psychologically draw attention to the wheel locks so they don't try to wheel the bike away and damage the front fender.

>How about calling them and ask? this situation is a perfect reason to call road side assistance

Won't his motorbike insurance rate go up when he tells them about the theft attempt? So don't mention anything about a theft attempt on the bike.

SJW pls go

They might be making sure you can't move the bike by doing the key thing, then they come back at a later date with a van and steal it.

Move your bike.

While it's in the shop, I hope you figure out something to stop the thieves from retrying to steal the bike. They'll probably try again and again and again, hoping that you'll finally give up and install an ignition cutout. Then they'll use that cutout and ride away with your bike.

Shit, that's right. A lot of those delivery vans have a "roller ramp" that things can slide up or down on the rollers. So if they have a winch inside, the bike can be pulled up the ramp.

Don't you have a sealed yard or something?

bump due to alphonse spam attack

why the fuck would anyone go into that much trouble to steal a 8 year old bike?

it makes sense tho, im not disagreeing... just appaled at the fact.

you can pop the rotating assembly that has the electrical connections off the bottom of the ignition switch with just one screw if you're careful, then just rotate i with a screwdriver. be aware this wont unlock the steering lock

I've had to deal with a jammed ignition before.
There's 4 cables coming out of the ignition, if I'm not mistaken. You have to connect orange + red and brown + grey.

Break the steering lock
Find the wires under the barrel
Orange to Red
Grey to Brown
Press starter switch and ride on

t. criminals

Or just someone who had to deal with a dindu trying to steal their bike
i had to do it a few times over the years. once for myself 3 times for a friend

>why the fuck would anyone go into that much trouble to steal a 8 year old bike?

Because they can get to it. Physical availability means they have plenty of opportunity. Lack of threat means there is no dog, alarmed barbed wire fence, sensor lights, and homeowner known to be armed and dangerous. Just like bullies, thieves will pick on someone they think they can steal from over and over.

These dindu are pretty sucky. It's why I moved to a walled-off neighborhood with strong homeowner association. As a result, crime is essentially non-existent here despite it being high outside of our bit of paradise.

just upgrade to the maximum your insurance
buy shitloads of things for your bike like custom exhaust new tires new fairing new batteries
and keep the proof of it
put a low res camera to watch your bike
bike get stollen
get insurance money bump the price up with proof of recent acquisition
buy new bike
enjoy

>just upgrade to the maximum your insurance
As you said, it would have to be max price insurance policy. But then that means I would NEED the bike to be stolen or else I have wasted a lot of insurance.

Insurance doesn't cover mods or accessories unless a separate rider is purchased for it. It only covers OEM items. It also specifically refuses to ever cover racing or autocross items such as NOX, racing tires etc. In fact, the use of the car in racing is not allowed and coverage will not be provided. The trickiness of the coverage is that if your vehicle had a racing engine substituted into it, then my insurance would cover the depreciated value of the bike MINUS the engine because racing type items are never covered.

Again, insurance companies have a lot of latitude. There are many times they could have declined to cover someone but still did. So those who say the companies don't have a heart are only correct 99% of the time. There are those 1% cases where the adjuster and management will take a chance. They're not wholly chinese yet.

>Hey Veeky Forums last night some pos tried to steal my motorcycle.

Was it out front curbside? Or in your backyard?

>2008 gs500 is the bike if that helps.

Is OP still around? The bike should be fixed by tomorrow if he took it in earlier today. Just wondering what OP is going to do to try to stop the problem from happening again.

Hey OP, Any other people in your neighborhood also have problems recently? Or did the thieves only target you?

It might not be true prowlers? But maybe a neighbor told their friends (who wanted a bike) that there was a bike nearby they could nick. It would suck if a neighbor was in on it.

>we should accept this behavior
You are the problem

>just jammed a screw driver down the ignition and fucked it all up
>Is there anyway I can get it started without that?

It'd be pretty clever if this post was by the criminal looking for more info on how to steal that bike he didn't finish stealing.

I passed by a house in a not so nice neighborhood (homeless wandering around) and the motorcycle is protected from easy casing by a motorcycle cover that is held down from easy removal by what looks like three cables. It is parked in a "corner" of the house. A car is parked so the motorcycle is boxed in and cannot be dragged out with a winch as there is also a metal fence in the way.

It must be a vicious neighborhood because one nice fairly truck had its window smashed in. It had not been driveable for two weeks now because whoever got in also slashed up the dashboard and front panel. I didn't want to look suspicious (like a criminal returning to the scene of a crime) so I didn't look hard or hang around to check. As I passed by it looked like a dark jagged spot with exposed light material on the top front of the passenger dash. So it was airbag thieves.

If their factory alarm is like mine, to steal airbags, it means they have 30 seconds to stop the alarm. Break window, open hood latch, cut battery cables on top, bottom, sides. Now they can remove bags without the alarm going off. Mexicans live in that house. I bet that truck wasn't insured, so they have to buy insurance, wait a few weeks, then fraudulently claim the car was broken into and the bags stolen (although the crime occurred long before they got insurance). No wonder insurance costs are high.

Check your coverage. Mine does, because I have the 'full UK coverage'.

>I also have road side assistance but I'm not sure they will come pick up my bike from the driveway.

It's inelegant, but if the wheels remain locked, you can spray WD40 on the pavement in front of the rear wheel as they winch the bike towards the ramp. But they can get that truck pretty much anywhere a regular car goes, so it should be able to go up your driveway to be close to the bike.

How did they get in your garage?

Prove you're not the thief just trying to get it running. Post a daylight pic. of broken ignition, and key in open gas tank with timestamp.

>Prove you're not the thief just trying to get it running. Post a daylight pic. of broken ignition, and key in open gas tank with timestamp.

So far, OP stopped posting or responding after someone posted the method to get around that type of ignition lock wiring to start the bike.