Convince me not to buy an electric car

Convince me not to buy an electric car

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qujYKDVw654
youtu.be/6HaklGQT5UQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>no ecoboost

The technology isnt quite there yet unless you are buying a tesla.

>implying the tech is there for tesla
please, refresh my memory, how long does it fucking take to recharge your car from 0-100%?

if your life is such that you dont see yourself ever needing to drive more than ~120 miles per day, then go ahead and get one. but unless it's a tesla, dont expect it to be fun to drive, and dont try to kid yourself by thinking you're helping the environment

unless you are buying a plug in hybrid*

2012 Nissan Leaf

What u think

Tesla Tech is no better than any of the alternatives, you are better off with a VW, Nissan or Renault in all honesty.

Think of the environmental damage the cause compared to a petrol or TDi. The per mile CO2 equivalency is actually quite a bit worse if you live in the USA (Yes it is true, do the mathematics yourself to see it including the entire efficiency chain), we have the 5th worst polluting electricity generation in the world by KWh production and call ourselves developed. If you live in Canada, France, Spain Greenland, Mexico, Brazil, New Zeeland, Russia, Paraguay, Bolivia, Ethiopia, Norway or Sweden then go for it as they have lower CO2 equivalency.

All that Co2 from filtered petrol exhaust was in the atmosphere before. We can get it back at the cost of some energy.

I'm more worried about the things you can't literally reverse, like mining and diesel freight generating smog that just kind of floats around for years on end

The Co2 isn't the problem it's the high Co2 equivalent gasses that we can't recover that are the problem, the media and governments have fixated on Co2 presumably because it's a lot simpler than actually addressing a very complex problem.

It really depends on your needs. If:
>Your daily mileage rarely exceeds the car's range
>You're willing to rent a car when you need to drive further than your car's range (or have another car available)
>You own your home and can install the charging apparatus, or your rented home provides it already (unlikely)

Note that installing a rapid charger in your home can be non-trivial, especially if the house is older.

Honestly I'd be all over it for commuting if I fit the requirements. Commuting is ass anyway, and electric torque can actually be kinda fun at low speeds.

DO NOT ever go electric on the assumption that charging stations at your job and/or public chargers near your home will cover your needs. I pass by these regularly and see miserable idiots (Nissan Leaf owners mostly) having to wait in line to use them just to get home.

Oh, and this should go without saying, but... do it to save money, not to "save the environment" and be a self-righteous asshole about it.

over half its mass is battery's and when they die you may as well throw the entire car away like like some flavour of the month cell phone

other than that I guess they are ok if your commute takes less time than you spend at work
lithium battery types last longer with symmetrical charge and discharge rates

does diesel not have other particulate problems ?
I swear bus and trains get away with murder compared to any privately owned vehicle

>does diesel not have other particulate problems ?
That's a relatively local and short lived issue.

>I swear bus and trains get away with murder compared to any privately owned vehicle
Not at all for new vehicles when you look at the E6 and T4 legislation, the problem seems to be a lack of maintenance.

>Tesla has super magic super techelology xd
it's same crap in every electric car and the technology will never be "there". let's talk again in fifty years, batteries will still have the same shitty enegery density.

youtu.be/qujYKDVw654
youtu.be/6HaklGQT5UQ for your apparent budget shown in

>not to "save the environment" and be a self-righteous asshole about it
electric cars are way worse for the environment than petrol cars. just think about the amount of batteries that have to be produced for a single electric car. and then remember that these batteries are nothing but toxic waste after a decade.

they just go after smog in the city and disregard all other kinds of pollution
irked me for awhile that no one mentions the amount of lead and mercury in the water but I guess there is nothing that can be done about that now

Electric cars are great, but don't buy one with a stupid solar panel on the roof.
There's no way a little PV panel can provide enough power to make any useful contribution to the vehicle's energy requirements. There's every chance theirs a good car underneath, but I wouldn't buy anything with a PV panel as a matter of principle. It just looks silly, like something you wouldn't expect from an undergrad.

t. engineer working in the automotive industry

If you live in Silicon Valley, go for it since we have the infrastructure. You'd be stupid not to take advantage of the carpool, free parking that also charges your car, toll booth exemption, being close to the main Tesla plant

can you afford an electric sls because for like half the price you can get the gas one and all the fuel and maintenance you would ever need unless you plan to use a supercar as a daily driver.
>not rr or one engine per wheel so you get decent handling despite the weight.

1. Battery technology is still changing.

2. Battery prices are still high, so the cars still have high prices. It's only the gov't subsidy that lowers the price.

3. Battery packs wear out and your total driving distance gets shorter and shorter. Of course, you never dare go the full range because deep discharge lowers battery life. You'll have to buy new battery packs and after you total up the cost of electricity, battery packs, and solar panels, you find out you spent MORE than if you had just stayed with gas engines.

4. The most ideal situation will be within 5 years or so when the battery packs become sectionalized. Instead of one massive single pack, it will be in sections a user can replace. This should be the next evolution of Tesla's Power Wall. The solar panels can then charge up individual or complete pack sets of the car. This finally allows users to continue charging batteries even when not at home. Tesla also continues to sell extra battery packs.

5. Li-ion chemistries are still evolving Earlier this year, discoveries were made that could hugely lengthen the number of charge cycles. How long it takes to come to market is the problem.

6. You'll crash the car a lot. The ultrafast acceleration from zero to sixty in 3 seconds will give you too many orgasms in the driver's seat. This is hazardous. While in the orgasm's glow, you will end up crashing the car.

>Electric cars are great, but don't buy one with a stupid solar panel on the roof.

Everybody will have covered parking at the shopping plaza and malls though. The plaza landholder for the stores will install solar panels and sell the charging time to electric cars as an additional means of profit.

on the Toyota prius I get the impression all it does it power part of the air conditioning

>tfw no universal FWD E-hub kits for RWD cars

Compressed air is nicer once the far majority of electricity comes from green energy and efficiency is not a big problem because you could fill it during overcapacity times.

But right now it's very niche.
Mostly thanks to the lack of efficiency

id use electric motors inboard and only for regenerative breaking
that way you only need a capacitor much lighter than a battery

>li-ion batteries

only Mercedes and some Indian company are working on it
id be a little worried about the fibreglass carbon-fibre air tank blowing up in a crash

you want lithium polymer battery 4
even more fire power

Air tanks exploding isn't that much of a problem.
Lots of ways to prevent a bang, and a bang doesn't even have to be that dangerous.

Cars catching fire is a bigger problem

I mean, feel free. If you want to drive a vehicle that looks to be designed by a complete autist. Just don't expect anybody to think you aren't a tranny faggot

30 minutes at their supercharger

not your personal army OP

go fuck yourself

>discussion is bad

>unless you are buying a tesla

Or 5 minutes at a gas station, without a new battery pack every 5 years if you rely on supercharging

5 years?
I think you're being too generous, more like 2 or 3 years tops, if the battery didn't burn you alive inside your 60k steel cage

Yes, 30 minutes is longer, however you don't have to be at a supercharger to charge. You can charge at work, at the mall, and at home. All which is free other than at home. I love ICEs. However, an electrical revolution has begun and the time we have left with ICEs is just getting short and shorter.

I don't deny that electric is the future, or at least the future of commuting, but be realistic. You won't be at work, or at the mall when you're supercharging. You'll be at the coffee shop 30 feet away starting at your electric box. Maybe in 15 years you'll be able to chage (not supercharge, basic 240v shit) at work or the mall, but supercharging will remain an interstate phenomenon

Wireless, contactless charging is the future. Imagine an electric only lane on the highway (like an HOV lane). The whole time the vehicle is charging away. Granted tech like that isn't near the final stage, plus the cost of that sort of infrastructure is staggering. If we're not able to "perfect" the battery, we'll have to make vehicles not reliant on it. I don't see electric vehicles replacing gas vehicles for the next 25 years or so. Especially since so many people buy used or buy cheap new shitboxes.

>plus the cost of that sort of infrastructure is staggering.

This is the primary reason you'll never see large amounts of contactless charging, it would cost several million dollars a mile, plus all the associated maintenance. At best, you'll have contactless parking spaces

That would be a good start. Maybe putting them in high traffic intersections as well, charge your car while you're at a red light. Maybe we'll get to the point where you can charge your electric car faster than a gas car without destroying the battery. There are a lot of different paths to take here.

We have one (leaf) in the family. Its great for around town errands, but thats about it. Youd better have a gasoline car as a backup!

This. And sadly if you buy a Tesla you buy a shitty car, so you're fucked either way