/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Kea edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Topic#Philosophy
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Personality_trait#Beliefs
dwarffortresswiki.org/Armor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Little thieving fucks.

Dem dorfs man, dem dorfs.

nth for miasa feels and fish

>Memory addresses, for example.
It's more related to the pseudorandom number generator.

phucken next gen right here.

this response was for the previous thread but i realised it was going to 404 so i saved it for this one:

Dwarves that read "values" books (or get into arguements over values) can actually have their minds changed on the effectiveness of the books writing or the social skills of the advocate.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Topic#Philosophy

>Value agendas
> the philosopher will choose a Belief that they have and write about that: Format "Worthlessness/nuances/value of (belief)" Reading books that push these will result in a dwarves' (or adventurer's) values changing.

for reference, here's the belief page on the wiki:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Personality_trait#Beliefs

If a creature who doesn't value craftsmanship ever creates a book or starts an arguement, they can actually degrade your dwarves' beliefs if given enough time to pile on the incidences of reading/arguements.

If the generator itself isn't undergoing arbitrary undocumented changes then it should return the same values from the same seeds. That's what seeds are for. Since we have no reason to suspect that's happening we have to assume that the geology generation algorithm references other values that don't remain static between versions.

On one hand, this tileset makes my eyeholes bleed. On the other hand, my nostalgia makes me want to commission an airship from those dwarves.

>we have to assume that the geology generation algorithm references other values that don't remain static between versions.
That would be a stupid assumption. Often the same seed works between versions, they aren't salted with random crap that changes for each version. For example, name seeds from v0.34 still produce the same results in the latest version.

Most likely there was some insignificant change (from player perspective) to the map generation to better accommodate other new features. Or the move to x64 could've done it.

The inability to regenerate maps between versions has been a persistent thing throughout DF's developement history, though. Histories as well, even within the same version (although that's supposed to be fixed now). The name generator is the least complex of them. It's not surprising that the name seed would be consistent through versions, and that the only values it needs to reference are the seed itself and the word lists.

Histories yes, terrain no. I've used the same worldgen settings and seeds between versions with success. Most likely some of the worldgen variables have had their behavior slightly altered.

I am posting bote until toady adds boats and we can have real fishing in the game

>Load up old fort
>nothing atypical is going on
>everything flowing smoothly
>seamlessly continue playing and have fun

Have you ever wondered who that bote is? Chloe K sounds like a slut. What does she do for a living? Looks like a tug or something. Why would you want that in DF?

And did you know "bote" is the DF human language word for "cobalt"? Dude, we already have that!

>Load up old fort
>check population
>732 chickens

>tfw playing half asleep and mine veins of microcline thinking it's adamantine

>you will never be a dwarf living in a mountain
>you will never forge great weapons
>you will never eat plump helmets and drink plump helmet alcohos.

It's not fair

do you guys like aavak's videos?

>frog shit

Muh fps

frogposting is a very valid form of expressing one's feelings

It really isn't.

wow you really showed me with those arguments of yours!!!

stop caring so much about a cartoon frog holy shit

Perhaps try following your own advice.

Both of you never presented any arguments to begin with. Just stop shitposting and everything will be fine.

All I did was post a legitimate post with a pepe as a reaction image, the other guy got assblasted about it. I never intended to start an argument about it in the first place

Shiggy

>first time ever visting my own fort in Adventure mode

>every movement involves about 2 pages of cats doing something

>dwarfs sadly talk to cats about issues

>my fps tanks

Also with equipment, if I have BETTER equipment will it always let me wear it or do I seriously have to remove the specific piece THEN wear it?

You don't automatically remove equipment, if that's what you're asking.

DF's clothing system is not your typical RPG paperdoll thing with few discrete clothing slots, it's much more complex.

Read dwarffortresswiki.org/Armor

But dwarf hands do not have six fingers.

That is what I get for drawing in pen.

b e a u t i f u l c r a y o n l i k e d r a w i n g s
maybe have a roc/dragon and dwarven defense, I would love to see that shit.

Is this a e s t h e t i c a n o n and timbukdrew interacting?

I am neither of those I just make the jokes and i don't know timbukdrew.

I will try something!
I would think.

Does becoming a night creature in adventure mode _actually_ freeze your attributes?

I know the displayed stats are bugged, but do you actually stop gaining them?

Crundles?

Yes actually!

>doesn't know timbukdrew ()
user I am disappoint.

No, I tested it, the displayed stats don't even get frozen. Go make a new character in a town, save near a temple, topple a statue until you see the red sense creature icons pop up in nearby buildings, go wrestle a wild animal for a while, noting your stats before and after doing this.

I-I am sorry

I AM A DWARF
AND I'M DIGGING A HOLE
DIGGY DIGGY HOLE
DIGGING
A
HOLE

>noting your stats before and after doing this.
Just making sure, are you talking about skills or attributes?

Are dwarves superior than humans in adventure mode?
I had the same stats than my previous human (Strenght, agility, thoughness, endurance, focus, willpower, analytical ability, kinestethic sense)
At superior levels.
But my goddarn hero died at a hydra even if he had finely crafted iron armor, plus a shield.
But the motherfucker did it with leather.
Am i doing something wrong?

>If the generator itself isn't undergoing arbitrary undocumented changes then it should return the same values from the same seeds.
If even one more call to rand() is made, everything will be different from that point on.
This is how pseudo-random number generators work.

Dwarves are smaller and weaker, and so cannot exercise as much leverage or raw damage when on the offense. They are tougher, though, and have better access to steel.
The main advantage to dwarves is that they are capable of entering Martial Trances, which makes them into murder machines while active.

I can't speak to how their mental or sensory attributes line up, except that dwarves have darkvision while humans are blind and useless in the dark.

FPS death fixed yet?

>The main advantage to dwarves is that they are capable of entering Martial Trances, which makes them into murder machines while active.
That reminds me, I think [TRANCES] is broken in the latest version. I haven't tranced a single time in 0.43.05 and I've played dorf adventurers for dozens of hours.

Definitely works in fort mode, but I haven't seen it in adventure mode.

yeah

>Tfw flooded west wing of fort and crocodiles occasionally snatch fishermen from the shore

Sounds like you flooded it with the wrong liquid.

WHY IS THIS GAME SO GOOD, I JUST GOT INTO IT, MADE MY FIRST SUCCESSFUL FORT, YET ITS PURE ASS COMPARED TO WHAT COULD BE.

It was an accident

So what do hearthperson quests do?
I've completed several and haven't seen any benefits or effects.

>get quest to kill some vampire
>do so
>everybody treats me like crap now

Did revealing the vampire turn him hostile? If not, you slaughtered an "innocent" villager from their point of view, so the reaction is understandable.

Villagers tell me there's a vampire at x hamlet, but the quest marker is a town over in y hamlet. Who's going to be more current?

>Did revealing the vampire turn him hostile?
Yes.

Actually, turns out I didn't reveal him.

So you just attacked without even being sure if your target actually was a night creature? Good job, you crazy axemurderer!

If you can make that drawing into any 16:9 resolution I'll make it my wallpaper and hug my computer screen.

How is 1920x1080?

Well, everyone referred to him as a vampire, so I just assumed.

No matter.
I will just drink away my problems.

Why are you using the inferior NZ parrot?

Attributes, I started out with above average stats I think, yep.

The hero we deserve.

>HappyKakapoHumpsCameraman.gif
>StephenFryLaughing.png

Here's after being vamped and wrestling a hippo for a while.

>you hear distant booming

>dump statting musicality

Truly, this child would be scarred for life.

Ok, so my superior adventurer is fucking semi and mega beasts with a fucking copper axe.
I'll try to kill the colossus with a copper axe.

To be honest, over half of the stats are totally useless and should be dumped. Recuperation, disease resistance, analytical ability, creativity, patience, memory, linguistic ability, musicality, empathy, social awareness.

Only strength, agility, toughness, endurance, focus, willpower, intuition, spatial and kinesthetic sense have any use for adventurers.

True...
Recuperation has helped me, in long fights.
But investing in other stats is better.

>Recuperation has helped me, in long fights.
It doesn't. That was endurance.

Stopped bleeding.
Good enough for me.
It's not going to be like hydras magical abilities of healing.
Bad idea.
All attacks just glance away.

Don't empathy and/or social awareness have something to do with how many followers you can get? I'm reasonably certain recuperation helps in some combat situations. And you shouldn't assume that all adventurers are going to be focused on maximizing combat effectiveness. I'm sure musicality and linguistic ability are useful in doing bard stuff. Some of us like to roleplay instead of ruthlessly minmaxing a death machine.

[ANGRY BIRD NOISES]

Isn't musicality useful when performing?

Now im just leading the undefeatable bronze colossus to a nearby fortress.

Sometimes I feel like barding it up, but it doesn't help dancing, poetry, or storytelling.

Recuperation helps you not be a lardass.

Memory keeps you from getting fucked over in catacombs and sewers and caves.

Empathy/Social awareness directly influence recruiting companions before you get a bunch of fame.

Linguistic/creativity can be useful for poetry/storytelling.

As far as I know the number and availability of followers only depends on your fame, but I'm not too familiar with follower mechanics.

Recuperation does not help in combat. The minor adjustment it makes to healing rates makes no significant difference in any real situation. You couldn't tell the difference between very low and superior recuperation unless specifically researching it and clocking your sleep/regen times. For long fights, endurance is the key stat because it determines stamina regen.

The thing is, there isn't much to do in adventure mode than doesn't rely on the "hero" stats. Even all the upcoming adventurer roles will more or less use the same attribute and skillset. I guess there's the bard larp you mentioned, but the gameplay for that is awful. Toady doesn't even intend to develop it into a proper adventurer role.

Yes.

Pretty sure recuperation also influences how rapidly you end up going into yellow and purple hunger/thirst/drowsy states.

When doing massive projects in the caverns you don't get interrupted and if you have syndromes that remove the need to eat or drink you don't get negative effects, but sometimes on the travel screen you still see the indicators show up while building, with just the average recuperation I go with it can take a week or so to wind up at purple thirst/hunger/drowsy, but I didn't test with higher and lower values.

Personally, I just max out strength and agility, and put two poins in spatial/kinesthetic sense, and one point into musicality.

I know kinesthetic and spatial sense can be grinded easily, but that sort of practice ruins the immersion for me. I just want a decent adventurer from the beginning, and they don't need to be TOO overpowered.

>Pretty sure recuperation also influences how rapidly you end up going into yellow and purple hunger/thirst/drowsy states.
Interesting. I just quickly tested this and it turns out to be false. No hunger/thirst difference between very low and superior recuperation.

You load into your game of adventure mode. You can choose whatever race of adventurer, whatever place of birth, and whatever status. Your goal is to die in the absolutely fastest way possible.

How do you achieve this?

Huh, maybe it was the fort mode fat accumulation thing I was thinking of.

Thanks! I am glad that you like it!

Here you go!

>roll anything without swimming skill
>run into nearest river
Took me 21 moves to die. Pretty sure someone can think of a faster way.

I should run, right?

Wait for the most perfect chance.
A megabeast invading a town or armies.
Probably 1 to 20 turns.

Fastest way in terms of real time? Number of turns passed? Number of moves made? Because seems like a good contender for all the above.

Try to run.
Atleast to my experiences if you have a good dodging you'll survive.
One of my goddarn superior adventurers died by an hydra.