If a rear wheel drive vehicle is towed the wrong way for approximately 1-2 miles...

If a rear wheel drive vehicle is towed the wrong way for approximately 1-2 miles, could that cause something to break - causing the engine to lock up?

>Fuel problem
>Truck dies on freeway
>Vehicle towed from the front with rear wheels spinning
>Pulls over at next exit
>Tow truck from behind
>Engine locks up completely now
>Sounds like something is trying to start then a clunk sound, and nothing

Was it in neutral?

I assume the guy had it in neutral

You'd know if it was in anything but neutral.
Yeah, it's got nothing to do with being towed.

Sounds like the guy had it in reverse gear when it was being towed from the front. Instead of the engine turning the trans turning the wheels, it was the wheels doing the turning, but backwards against the trans.

You're fucked.

After it died on the freeway how many times did you try to turn it back on? You might've fucked it before it got towed

I don't think so.

When it died on the freeway we tried turning it, it would try to turn over, just wouldn't turn. After it was towed is when it won't even try, but sounds like it is being blocked

You fucked it up trying to turn it retard.

That's stupid.

This was an ongoing problem I've had with my truck for a few weeks, I had a mechanic with me. It wasn't until after the truck was towed that we had this problem

>hurr durr what do you mean you tried to turn over the truck after it was towed you fucked it up

Your mechanic isn't really a mechanic is he

Your mechanic is shit.

Shoulda called a flatbed.

It was through my insurance - every other time they've sent a flatbed to pick me up

How fast was he going? What kind of truck do you have? What year is it? Is it 4x4? Was the transfer case in neutral with the transmission in park?

Lots of little things to consider.

If its a Ford I'd say ya, that did it in, Ford's transmissions are about as strong as a mud hut in rain storm. I honestly wouldn't consider rolling one out of my driveway if it hadn't been running in the last 15 minutes.

GM's can normally take the abuse, hell some have a rating for towing in neutral depending on the year.

Dodge can be iffy. The new ones are absolutely no-go for wheels on the ground because dodge.

I'm thinking somethings fucked up in the engine, and only cranked on the highway because the engine was still warm. Normally damage from towing is all in the transmission. Automatics are disengaged from the engine and can't turn the engine.

Trust me, unless it was a heavy duty tow truck, if the engine was still connected to the transmission it wouldn't have moved an inch. At that point, you'd have to overcome the resistance in the engine and FORCE the pistons to move, and that takes a -ton- of effort to overcome. Thats why I think your engine was toast already, its just not possible to damage an engine from towing unless its a manual transmission and in a gear for the direction of travel.

>I honestly wouldn't consider rolling one out of my driveway if it hadn't been running in the last 15 minutes.

Confirmed for knowing fuck-all.

Ford transmissions are shit m8. They don't hold up without lubrication and will not hesitate to lock up solid without it.

>But he posted one thing I disagree with so everything he said is wrong!

06 Chevy Silverado automatic 4.3 2WD rear wheel drive
He was going maybe 30 miles or so

I had been waiting on the side of the road for about 4 hours and just let him do his thing thinking he knew what he was doing, he said he's been towing for 10 years so I assume it was in neutral but I don't know any of those other details.

Will a shop be able to tell me if he fucked it up? Will that damage show?

Before this happened the OBD only picked up a fuel sensor problem, or something along those lines

That model year of chev tends to be fine. Again, damage from towing tends to be allllll in the transmission. I'd have a shop look at it and see whats wrong, but I wouldn't mention how it was towed. Some shops hear "I think it might have been damaged from towing" and their eyes turn into dollar signs. There can be an air leak in the cab and they'll scream TOWING DAMAGE TOWING DAMAGE. When they find out whats wrong with it ask if its something that could happen because it was towed on its rear wheels for a short distance.

Again, I don't think the engine not turning over is a result of towing. I just don't think its possible.

Me again. Just thought of this after I shut my computer off. Try putting your truck in neutral and pushing it. That will give you a good idea if the transmission is locked up or not. And I know this is stupid, but you said you tried to start it a few times? Is it possible that the battery is just..... dead? Sometimes they'll have enough juice to run the radio and everything and look fine, but they don't have the gusto to turn the starter

even if you left it in gear the engine shouldnt seize the oil pump runs right along witht the engine runing or not its mechanical

And if you knew anything about transmissions you'd know why what you said is completely wrong.

Heat kills Ford transmissions, which is why you need the engine running to circulate the fluid in the tranny. Starting a tow with a preheated transmission is just going to make it go tits up faster.

Thank you for your advice, I am planning on taking it to the shop tomorrow and will see what they say, I'll also take into consideration your advice about not saying it was towed outright

>Try putting your truck in neutral and pushing it. That will give you a good idea if the transmission is locked up or not

The battery was charged as soon as we got back, and as soon as it didn't turn over anymore we tried to jump it. It's more the sound it makes that has me worried. It's like a clunk when I try to turn it over. Like it tries and then there is a clunk and it stops all together.

>This whole post
Confirmed for knowing nothing.

Record the clunk.

I wonder if one of the pistons is fucked and that's why it died, and it seized afterwards, but that REALLY shouldn't happen.

Figure out why the car died in the first place. Post pics maybe and sounds.

This entire post screams 14 year old bus rider