/org/ - off road general

Welcome all to /org/
What do you guys think of 1st gen RAV4 for light duty?
Would probably be my DD.
>optional LSD
>5spd
>50/50 split
>locking center diff
>3sfe reliability
>light weight
I dont see a reason not to buy one.
Anything better i should consider that is 1996 or newer?

>not '95 sidekick

SUZUKI #1

Those are cool. But id go with the grand vitara V6.
>dat mazda v6.

What is the best looking modern off road car?

Hon hon

Did the 1st gen have the stupid thing where AWD turns off above 25 mph?

Sold as 2wd or 4wd.

Automatic transmission: STD I full-time all wheel drive. Electronically controlled multiplate clutch locking center differential. Optional Torsen limited slip rear differential.

Early models have a C.DIFF AUTO button that, when depressed, prevents the center differential from locking. When no button is present (A540H transmission), the multiplate clutch always operates in AUTO mode.[1]

Manual transmission: Full-time all wheel drive with 50/50 torque split. Manually locking center differential via the C.DIFF LOCK button on the console. Optional Torsen limited slip rear differential

>off-road general
>poorly disguised Mad Max ricer mod thread
Oh well. Anyone in here who's attempted building their own bar work? What sort of gauge steel was used?
Contemplating building a swing away dual tyre carrier utilising a stub axle to bare the load.

Are jeeps the only in-production choice for an off roader. I looked at Tacomas wasn't all that impressed, plus there are reported issues. I cant even consider a 200 series desu, so expensive and full of stuff.

>Mad Max ricer mod thread
>Contemplating building a swing away dual tyre carrier utilising a stub axle to bare the load
Lel

As said elsewhere here in a class of its own but it is not the only available option. And when I say class of its own I don't mean it's better or worse it's just a combination of things that's hard to find wlsewhere.

>offroad general
>posts shitbox irs economy car

why is this board so bad

Its off road isnt it?
Its in general isnt it?
Like pic related

Competitor.

Doesnt seem to be as capable

Depends on what you're trying to achieve and what you're need to carry. If building a rock crawler isn't the end goal, and if you're considering midsize pickups, I couldn't recommend a Colorado enough. Sounds like you're looking at new or near new vehicles? Price range?
Literally what is wrong with that?

Well that's good. The new ones are only AWD below 25 mph. Anything faster they return to FWD

They are also tiny inside. I'm 6'4" and with the seat all the way back my knees were ~1" from the dash

My brother has one. Got stuck in a tiny dip because traction control turned on and killed all the power.
Never again

>Seem
>What did he mean by this?
I mean, it's no wrangler, but i take my entirely stock CRV with winter tires down ATV hunting trails.

It's heavier than a RAV i think, and it doesn't have lockers, but the rear diff is capable of 50/50 unlike the new ones, fucking honda.

30-35k. I just want something that I can daily drive keep for ten year and get into off roading. It doesn't have to be anything intense I just want to get out there.

Land Cruiser's seem to fit the bill but they cost an arm and a leg.

I like the yota better

If you're looking at midsizes, what about a 4Runner? Is there anything specifically drawing your attention to a Landcruiser like size and interior space?
Sounds like you're cross shopping pickups and wagons. For over landing and exploration crew cabs work real well. For the marginal increase in length over a similar size SUV, you get a cargo area that's much more accommodating for anything you'd need to get away for weeks on end. Also pickup beds are a little more sacrificial than SUV rear quarters if you're worried about damage.

my mountaineer has been fun

I looked at them at the Toyota dealer. I hate to be this asshole but they were just so ugly. I could try and dig up a trail edition before the face lift.

I liked the land cruiser because they seemed like the were built to a super high standard.

I have experience with the CRV so i prefer it over the Toyota.

Also fucking toyota.

I rather have a bronco or something ideally.

Spotted this Terradyne Gurkha today

The bronco is less capable than a rav4 m8.
Whats your issue with toyota?

>The bronco is less capable than a rav4 m8.
And now I've heard it all.

finally getting a replacement tranny for my Raider once the salvage yard pulls it this weekend.
hyped to get it moving again after searching like 3 months for a transmission to turn up

>The bronco is less capable than a rav4 m8.
And that is when i realized, ALL toyota fags are retarded.

No no, not all.
Just underage teens who drive down a bush road and think crossovers are serious offroaders.

depends on what you mean by light duty
id recommend an isuzu trooper or mitsubishi montero since theyre more capable but if you dont need the capability than go with the rav4. its a great car.

also just wanted to thank you for making this thread, op. im the one who usually makes these threads and im really happy to see theyre becoming a little bit more self sustainable.

probably the aev prospector
new tacoma is p sweet too imo

awesome

why does it have to be in production?
what did you have against the tacoma? its an incredible platform desu. you could also look at the 4runner if you want an suv.
theres also the frontier/xterra and plenty of full size truck options.

it does not I just want to keep it for a long time so I would like sub 50k miles.

DESU i really like it other then the drum brakes. I know you not need big brakes on a little truck I just hate servicing drum brakes. I started to read the forum and people started to report problems...

Anyone got any pics of neat looking Bronco II's? I could use some encouragement to buy one near me for 2k....

What makes it more capable?
That it weighs 5000lbs?
That its super anemic?
That it breaks a lot?
That its wider than most trails?
That it has two fuel pumps that fail all the time for no reason?
That is has a high roll over rate?
What makes it better user????

Probably the fact that you're a faggot and probably have never owned a Bronco

>What makes it more capable?
Clearance, suspension travel, proper traction aids including dual range transfer.
>That it weighs 5000lbs?
Relative.
>That its super anemic?
More so than a Camry engine?
>That it breaks a lot?
I'd take my chances with a vehicle equipped with a 9"/D44, C6/FMX/Toploader, Cleveland/M series V8 over an overweight Corolla.
>That its wider than most trails?
Relative. Might be a concern if you're driving on mountain bike track.
>That it has two fuel pumps that fail all the time for no reason?
More components=/=unreliable. Balancing the load between two pumps yields greater longevity.
>That is has a high roll over rate?
Only relevant with soccermoms forgetting they're driving an off-road ready SUV. Which is literally the market Rav4 was aimed at. Soccermoms who don't require a rough and ready off-roader.
What makes it better user????

Imo my Rover isn't too shabby. Towed home all the cucks that made fun of me for it

I in fact have owned a bronco. In mint condition with 80k miles.
Thing was a turd.
Made it way more places in my 2.3 ranger 4x4.
Hold on ill answer the same way you did
>relative
>relative
>relative
Youre stupid and dont even know what a rav4 consists of.
>camry engine
No
>overweight corolla
Camry or corolla? Which is it?
Oh wait its neither

It's literally a Corolla platform with an S series engine.

Its literally not

Here it is. (You)

Bumperino

>Literally retarded corolla fanboy
>Not even body on frame
>Open axle
>Not a skid plate in sight
>No low range
>Engine torque peak at 6000 RPM
>Good luck getting there
>Reliving toyota reliability meme

It's npt that you can't take it offroad, it's that no matter what the bronco will be better, after 92 it was making 300 something Lb ft of torque and 200 something HP.

>YEA I TOTALLY OWNED ONE
Then you wouldn't be lying.

New CX5 or Forester XT?

>not knowing what youre talking about
>when the info is in this thread
Kek. Typical Veeky Forums sperg lords

'lo so im new to this thread and I'm buying a '02 nissan xterra se 3.3L v6, I intend to use it for the winter seeing my '03 has no ground clearance but I wonder what is out there for parts to take it offroad n such, like im open to anything. Pic is of the exact same colour and year of the one i got

Just drive it mang.
If you feel the need for accessories then add them as needed.

I guess, i mean there isnt much offroading trails in atlantic Canada but out winters are horrible so i figured a decent suv would be goodish for the snow and mud or dirt heh

>that shit eating grin

80 or 100 series?
with solid front and rear axles it definitely seems like the 80 would be more capable, but the 100 seems like its much more refined

which one would you choose?

Honestly, I actually found my 4Runner to be worse on slick roads than my Civic or fiance's Camry. Snow tires are a must. Sure for deep snow the ground clearance and part time 4wd take the advantage, but for more typical winter-use scenarios like just driving to work, unless there's like 6 inches of snow on the ground, a high riding SUV does you few favors. Once I put snow tires on it things became much more manageable, but had I likewise put snow tires on the other cars they would have worked even better.

An AWD Audi Quattro or Subaru are the way to go if snow-heavy commuting and road trips are the name of the game IMO.

What's the actual intended use? I adore 80 series, but I think for the vast majority of folks, the 100 wins hands down. More comfortable ride like you noted, better power and all around highway manners, it's newer and will inherently have fewer issues.