How useless are 3 speed automatics?

thinking of turning a pic related into a shitbox
would a 91 dodge dynasty 3 speed auto have potential?

>shitbox
But that car's pretty nice.

It's a landbarge much like the Crown Victoria. The 3 speed automatics aren't known for strength but they're perfectly fine with the stock engines.

Potential for what?

But they are nice. Sure it's a landbarge, but landbarges are nice. Maximum comfy too.

On a related note, what's with all the Dodge Dynasty threads lately? I've seen 5 or 6 this past month and never seen one before.

i like square body cars too not many in my area
i found a local dynasty but i imagine a 3 speed would accelerate slowly etc

It's a V6 either way and a reliable one at that. They're not fast, but they're not painfully slow either. I think it's like an 8 second 0-60.

That is NOT a landbarge. Boxy styling does not a landbarge make. That's a FWD, V6/L4 powered small-frame car that shares more in common with a Dodge Neon than a Crown Victoria. Let me give you some common criteria for a landbarge/landyacht/landtank:

>V8
>longitudinal, RWD engine layout ('70s FWD big block GM's get a pass on this one)
>full size frame (Panther, A/B/C/D body, etc)
>usually built before the '90s

None of which this car posseses. This is an anemic attempt at capturing the "big box" style, but with modern nasty design inside it. Newer three speeds are atrocious with driveability, the engines are weak and parts are less comon than long-standing small block V8 families, and it's much smaller and cramped on the inside than you'd think it is.

>t. real landbarge owner

Landbarges didn't get their name from the V8 RWD layout or full size frame or time frame it was built. Landbarges earned their name in the way they drove. Uber comfy, little to no steering or suspension feel, and if you went over a bumpy road, you were likely to get sea-sick due to the soft bouncy suspension. They got the name for driving like an actual yacht with wheels. And the Dodge Dynasty fits the description.

Modern day landbarges include 2007+ Nissan maxima's and Toyota Avalons. It's not just RWD V8 sedans.

>This much bullshit
Confirmed for being born post 95.

all the: criteria are part of the land barge, it has to be physically a barge as well as in handling.

If it's not all the things above, and what you mentioned, then it's not a land barge.

>Nissan maxima
>Avalon
>EVER deserving the label land barge
kys.

It's not great but it's not terrible. Depending on the gearbox you have no o/d or no "3rd" gear, more like 2 and 4.

>It's a landbarge much like the Crown Victoria

It's a fucking extended K car

The only thing the E class Chrysler have in common with the Panthers are 4 doors and 4 wheels. Those dynasties are about the size of a 4 door cutlass cierra. Definitely not what I would consider a land barge.

And to answer OP The three speed would be fine for serious in city driving, but at highway speeds it will race the hell out of the engine and drink gas.

mcfucking kill yourself, you retard

This. What the fuck does being RWD and having a V8 have to do with being a barge. They are called landbarges because they have wallowy suspension.

>91
>dodge
>3 speed

Literally worse than a Ford Taurus.

You have never owned one and are just regurgitating memes. The E class Chryslers were fine care for their time. Yea having one with a 3 speed will kinda suck gas mileage wise but if the car is driven in thew city a lot the difference will be minimal. They weren't built to attract young buyers or be performance machines, so if thats your beef than get a clue.

>What the fuck does being RWD and having a V8 have to do with being a barge. They are called landbarges because they have wallowy suspension.

You couldn't be more wrong.

This IS a land barge

This IS NOT a land barge

fuck no, Chrysler FWD 3 speeds are dogshit, my gf had a three speed Neon and it was the only thing I hated about her car

why did they use them so many years?

>cheap
>reliable
but just because it's reliable doesn't make it a good transmission, gas mileage was shitty for a 2.0L and acceleration was shit

I will admit I wouldn't have one when given the choice of a overdrive transmission, but If all your driving is stop and go in a metropolitan area than the difference in fuel mileage will be minimum. They were put into those cars to have a cheap bottom price and weren't really made to be highway cars. As far as acceleration its a NA 2.0 hooked up to an automatic. If you wanted to scoot than the manual was what you were looking for

Being reliable is the core of any good transmission. Nothing else matters if the transmission doesn't last. For example the Ford AODs and and E4ODs had all sorts of teething problems and were nowhere near as good or reliable as the C4 and C6 transmissions they replaced, overdrive or not. It wasn't until a few years later that Fords overdrive transmissions got past the stink of the earlier ones.

wasn't my car but the issue with acceleration is where we lived you had to get upto speed pretty quickly or you get in an accident

also she doesn't drive stick and they didn't have one where she got the car

I will agree that reliability is the main choice in what you want for a transmission, but my point is that I live in the suburbs and getting upto speed is important, plus the car got driven on the highway, other than that it was still a decent little car and have never personally had an issue with Neons, unlike the meme spouting autists on this board

No really, anything that still had a 3 speed never had overdrive. A Taurus has overdrive and pretty much same engine build. To actually compare your Chrysler of such high standards, a Cadillac Seville would be in the same class. Except that the Seville actually has an overdrive to make up for the efficacy of it's 3.8L V8.

Your car is already two decades behind it was made buddy.