/evn/ - English Visual Novels

I thought you were going to make it Edition

Thread for discussing English language visual novels and their development.

Do you have a question about an originally-Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

>Discord:
discord.gg/fTcq5

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

indiedb.com/games/introvert
purple-planet.com/fun/4583971361
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>goddess is more detailed than everyone else
while the thing looks silly, that's a nice detail

>open project today
>gameplay parts don't work
>can't remember what I did to it two days ago to break it
if this is a sign, I would like to request another sign

A cat is fine too, right?

So she's going to become batman now, right? And not suffer?

>After her dad's friend adopts her (and probably dies, he's sickly and shit, right), Sarah spends his money on a set of expensive victorian BDSM gear and runs a "boarding house for girls who have been really bad" next door to miss Minchin, completely ruins her reputation and runs her out of business until despondent miss Minchin comes to Sarah and becomes her sex slave.

>implying her dad's friend is going to die anytime soon

He has so much to live for*, even what I assume is either TB or diabetes won't keep him down

* Thick lascar dick

alright, him and his indian fuccboi can stay in the shed or something

Can you pet the cat?

Yes but the cat bullies you

Time to start over!

One on the left seems skinny. Put some meat on her arms.

How is Queen of Thieves? I was wondering if I should chuck the thirty-odd dollars at them.

Is there a way to make notes in renpy in a different color than red? Or aside from using #? I want to differentiate between notes about unfinished parts and notes about stage directions.

just use tools --> style editor

and if you need to differentiate notes, use larger amounts of #

I'm just loving that background.

Almost seems like I saw it somewhere before in a WW game.

Thanks, will do

Butler cats, always

>read the thread it's from
>guy says he spent two years on this
>also says it's 30 minutes long
I legit felt bad.

Important question:

Why is this man's head so big?

>From Christine Love's twitter:
>After four years of development, Ladykiller in a Bind will be out on September 23 for $30.

WOOOOOOAH NELLY

I'll fork out that money for your gorgeous bgs/gui/ and new fangled timed choice gameplay system

I'll even fork out the money for those monstrous but lol-athon artwork

but I can't and refuse to pay that much for a game I KNOW is going to shove down my throat with your dumb ass politics.

>mfw trying to decide what to charge for project

It was moved to october, wasn't it?

Shitty dungeon crawler dev back with some more primo progress. Today I made an inventory system, depicted here as a creepy face grinning down at you from top left. If I'd actually bothered drawing any inventory icons, you'd get a nice visual list of the five whole items you can carry at a time via little pictures at the top of the screen. Also the shopkeeper works now, more or less.

Lastly, to the Etrian Odyssey user from last night, I'm glad you drew the connection (and the maps). I also got pretty sucked into EO when it came out and this is sort of my homage to the series. I'll definitely be going for the shoddy homebrew aesthetic, so hopefully it's to your liking.

don't die

I do what I want

Why don't you all collaborate on a single thing or something

Too many cooks spoil the broth, especially when the cooks fundamentally disagree on their philosophies of cooking. Together we'd end up making something along the lines of Sweet Sundae Ramen.

My ideas are better than anyone else's

I would take free art though

Then don't make a single broth. Make several. Make a VN with many small stories that are seemingly unrelated that tie together by the end.

3 people here already did, they made tuesday

Would you play a VN with a christmas cake heroine that was molested and raped at the age of 12?

>christmas cake heroine
Of fucking cour--

>molested and raped at the age of 12
Nevermind. Not my kind of "drama".

>Nevermind. Not my kind of "drama"
It's probably not the kind of drama you think it is.

do I get to play as her

No.

does mc say my lady and tell her to eat all the eggs

Is this a fetish?

then no, that doesn't sound too interesting

I want to play as the victim of the trauma more than I want the victim of the trauma to be involved in circumstances around who I'm playing as

You are victim of a different trauma. And her trauma isn't really the focus of her route, not directly anyway.

More quick and dirty NPC sprites. I don't even know what the lanternkeeper does but she's in the game now.

Don't die; post progress.

does her trauma exist so you can explain whatever flaw you gave her. "i can't trust user and eat these eggs because i... was raeped!"

Can anyone link me to some good sci-fi VNs? Preferably cyberpunk.

i'm already working on a game called missing stars

more like Missing Progress amirite :^)

And a background. The whole town is now operational, vaguely.

dude fuck

i can't post editing progress

Wow, it's like, really dead over here.

Why do you seem surprised by that?

>that one pic from Veeky Forums about how you can only microwave a bowl of ramen so many times before it begins questioning it's own existence

my eyes

I like how that font fucks up in some places.
It's also impossible to rescale it I believe.

As a player, how would you feel about being locked out of a girls entire route based on one arbitrary choice at the start of the game? Literally the second choice in the game of whether or not you read a book for a few more minutes.

That's mainly to do with how Ren'Py handles scaling down into windows.

So the same thing in its full 1080p doesn't suffer the same kind of font issues. There are one or two workarounds with regards to nearest neighbour versus bilinear scaling but generally you begin to see issues, particularly with rasterization, around 0.6-0.75 scaling

can we all stop posting progress and just go back to being a bunch of depressed cunts

sounds fine honestly. most people decide who theyre pursuing early i think

>putting all this shitty sad piano elevator music into my vn

it's a thankless job but someone has to do it

Okay, which game should I make today?

A good one

define "good"

Drakengard: EVN Edition

>Drakengard
So, guro-hentai evn?
MC will loose her eye because of skullfuck?

aight

indiedb.com/games/introvert

thoughts on this Russian project?

>Dagestan Technology
kys

What's wrong with that? What's the problem here.

DT is a DEVGRU-P level meme publisher

Both of those publishers published something, and you are still nodev.

ded

Your aesthetic is vaguely Hussie, which I honestly don't mind.

>As a player, how would you feel about being locked out of a girls entire route based on one arbitrary choice at the start of the game

Does the choice determine whether or not your character is homosexual

Man there's so much decent stock royalty free music out there why you gotta lay that elevator muzak on you

It does not

Very ded.

What games have cool pack opening animations, other than fifa and hearthstone? I need to steal some ideas for my game

>Implying you can trace those animations
Please, just use static box image.

i honestly don't know what else to play during "characters walk down a path chatting about inane bullshit"

Something airy and light with strings or woodwind

Piano is only for sad shit nowadays

you knoe what's a decent vn that no one ever talks about? brilliant shadows

Here user

purple-planet.com/fun/4583971361

All of that shit is free to get and use

wow thanks some of these are really nice.

And they have strings and/or woodwind!

Check out the other categories as well, there's so much good free music out there.

thats because its not decent
entire plot takes a backseat to MC's
>WAHHH WHY IS MY FRIEND STRAIGHT? WHY CAN'T SHE JUST FORCE HERSELF TO SCISSOR WITH ME FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE???

that's pretty much the plot yeah but the rest was decent

Explain

Does anyone know how to fit a for loop into a menu in Ren'Py?

>everything but the plot was decent
so you're telling me that people will enjoy a visual novel simply because it has nice art/music even if the characters/plot are shit?
Guess that explains why WC are still in business.

nice strawman

Uh, almost lost you.

I honestly choices that lock things away should be fairly well obvious to the player, unless there's a SUPER SECRET involved.

Like, what does reading the book entail? Were you supposed to meet the other character later that day, but you were a little late because you stopped to read, and then SHE GOT RUN OVER BY A FUCKEN CAR?

not him but holding ctrl to mass-skip dialogue is something people do so yeah i guess

I think choices that matter/influence something should be marked overall. Similar to the witcher 3, yellow text is to advance, move onto something or make an important decision, white text is for normal dialogue choices that don't affect anything.

1. Go to the ice cream parlor with Alisa [EVERYONE DIES ON THIS ROUTE]
2. Flake on your date with Alisa [ONLY ALISA DIES ON THIS ROUTE]

That's too hand holdey for a VN where choices and branching paths are literally the only thing that would make you flex your brain a little.

I dunno. I suppose you could do that. Maybe create an "easy mode" which shows what the choices do/lead to on hover or something if you really want to show that.
I suppose so. I mean personally speaking my VN has the player go on a lot of side stories/quest sort of things, so it could work well for me if I wanted it, stories with a minor amount of branching paths or important decisions, I mean, actually I'd still like to know if that decision matters, it would encourage me to replay through and choose the other one if I knew they were different things.

Question: an emotional inclination system that changes the choices available to your character as well as changing their dialogue in certain instances y/n?

y good luck tho