Inline-6, Flat-6...

Inline-6, Flat-6, and V-12 are the smallest and naturally smoothest engine designs because they contain both primary and secondary mechanical balance that requires no counterweights/balancing unlike all other engine designs.

>tfw I-6 is dead and only Porsche makes a proper boxer-6 which is too wide to swap for the majority of cars
The fuck man, I want a perfect engine

Other urls found in this thread:

carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/mercedes-benz/mercedes-e-class-2016-spied-straight-sixes-are-back/
youtube.com/watch?v=ihXV9mOncvs
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I6 still has secondary harmonics. Only truly balanced engine is a v12

There are four different forces and moments of vibration that can occur in an engine design: free forces of the first order, free forces of the second order, free moments of the first order, and free moments of the second order. The straight-6, flat-6, and V12 designs have none of these forces or moments of vibration, and hence are the naturally smoothest engine designs

Smoother than doritos?

>harmonics
>v12
I'm so confused, so v12 is the best engine?

Too bad Ford never made a light weight coupe Falcon.
The turbo Barra is fucking awesome.

Apart from the fact it handles like a bucket of shit.
The Falcon in it's current guise is perfectly suited to the turbo Barra. It's a slow revving iron block that's great for stop light races, achieving big dyno numbers, towing trailers... And not much else.
For a light weight coupe, keep a lightweight engine with something in the way of a respectable moment of inertia. Hate to fan the Alphonse flames here... But give it a light weight alloy Ecoboost V6 pushed right back to the firewall.

Doritos spin in an oval right?

so, maybe not

Why couldn't they make an Ecoboost I6?

Because to keep an over square motor would again require something long that would throw too much weight over the front axle in longitudinal applications, and simply wouldn't fit in transverse applications.

The worst thing Ford did was dump the 300 I6 for the 4.2 headgasket v6 in the trucks. They should have kept that stroked 3.8 in the taurus and windstar.

>not 4 banger master race
Git

FUCK YOUR SHIT I5 4 LYFE NIGGA SWEDE SPEED WHOOOOO

>ecoboost
Is this a meme way of saying turbo or is it some legit new technology I'm uninformed about?

>uses counterweights
>shows secondary imbalance at high rpm because two pistons always move together, making the imbalance twice as strong as other configurations without them

git better

R34 GTR best car ever made then??

Almost, as far as production cars are concerned

Wait, are you implying sixes and V12s don't use counterweights?

In piston engine engineering, a balance shaft is an eccentric weighted shaft that offsets vibrations in engine designs that are not inherently balanced.

doritos create unbalanced centrifugal force

there's no opposing force to counter the changes in speed of rotation

I know what balance shafts are, but you mentioned "counterweights". Easy to get confused with crankshaft counterweights.

Also worth noting a cross plane i4 more or less solves the secondary balance issue, but then introduces other problems in regards to having an unequal firing order. Sounds fantastic though.

So thats why they vibrate so bad I always wondered, thank you captain professor.

>crossplane arrangement in inline-four engines results in unevenly distributed firing pattern, so the use tends to be limited to extremely high-revving engines, where the advantage of less secondary imbalance outweigh the irregular firing interval disadvantage (in addition to the rocking vibration disadvantages arising from plane imbalances on reciprocating mass and rotating mass, if not countered with a balance shaft).

hmm

>rocking vibration disadvantages arising from plane imbalances on reciprocating mass and rotating mass
Not really sure why "plane imbalances" would be worse than a flat plane arrangement. Any enlightenment on that front?

Besides, Yamaha seems to have been using them with great effect in the last decade. Specifically in high revving applications.

Mercedes to the rescue.

carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/mercedes-benz/mercedes-e-class-2016-spied-straight-sixes-are-back/

Fuck all your shit

>faster than a GTR
>not pigfat like either
>right wheel drive

Perfect engine would be an inline 6 cylinder, 6 cycle, turbocharged, supercharged, fuel/ water injected diesel engine. With a moderate compression ratio and glow chambers. With 6 cycles it'd only need oil cooling.

It still looks like a V, where's the "W" shape on this?

>right wheel drive
Sorry mate, but right=/=left.

literally reminds me of a wedge of cheese

absolutely disgusting

so the cylinders are offset a little? that doesn't make a W shape though. A W would have 2 intersections, needing 2 cranks

yes but germans
W = Double-V not Double-U

>6 cycles
needs more cycles than that bud

>I6 is dead
Do you even diesel bro?

No retard it's a way of saying a ford turbo.

That shit is fucking hot. The VR6 is an interesting engine as well, I've never got to mess with one though.

nothing can replace perfection

stick this in that then turbo it . . . I think I have a new goal in life

For luxury yes. Though they get natural horsepower and torque they are large and heavy.

so since flat sixes are too wide, straight six would be the best engine?

what about flat 12 though

2 big

what about the 2jz, i mean anyone can built one and its reliable as fuck.

>Production 1990–2005

rip

GOD FUCKING YES

Besides isn't BMW still making cars with I6s?
personally, I feel the Japanese mastered the I6

RB4LYFE

I have a 3 cylinder shitbox. Where does that rank on balance?

what if you have 3 doritos that are all 120° offset?

>Straight-three engines generally employ a crank angle of 120°. This gives perfect first and second order balance on reciprocating mass, but an end-to-end rocking motion is induced because there is no symmetry in the piston velocities about the middle piston. The use of a balance shaft reduces this undesirable effect

>tfw chrysler killed this glorious engine
rip in peace

How is the i6 dead you can still buy a brand new BMW with an inline six.

this car was powered by perfection.
360hp, 370nm, lightweight engine, 8000rpm redline, naturally aspirated

>The balancing of rotating bodies is important to avoid vibration. In heavy industrial machines such as gas turbines and electric generators, vibration can cause catastrophic failure, as well as noise and discomfort. In the case of a narrow wheel, balancing simply involves moving the centre of gravity to the centre of rotation.
>For a system to be in complete balance both force and couple polygons should be closed.

A rotary can never have primary and secondary mechanical balance

...are you trolling? Or serious?

Speed six is NA and makes 400hp and the 440r version makes 440hp

TVR> BMW
all day

both
I know nothing about rotary engines other than they spin real fast

speed six is the most powerful NA straight six ever made

Ok, we'll consider this. You take a rotor, that it's shaped like an oval'd (new word for the day) equilateral triangle, and rotate it 120 degrees. Where does it end up?

oh fuck

And the car you posted broke a dyno rated for 1000 whp and was never retested. TVR is based as fuck.

Thanks bro

Sure you can. You take a 4-rotor and set the timing 0-180-180-0. Then it's basically a boxer. That's a hell of a lot of force on the crank, though.

:P
Heh, I thought you'd face palm.
All in good fun.

Name a naturally aspirated straight-6 BMW engine currently being produced?

The smoothest engine is still in development.

Duke Engines: youtube.com/watch?v=ihXV9mOncvs

V8 5.7 here ur full of shit

>In its simplest form, the V8 is basically two parallel inline-four engines sharing a common crankshaft. However, this simple configuration, with a flat- or single-plane crankshaft, has the same secondary dynamic imbalance problems as two straight-4s, resulting in vibrations in large engine displacements

get over it

>it has to be aspirated
Nice shift of the goalpost, but I can still go out and buy a brand new 130i
Sorry bro, but "ur" and "I'm" are not the same thing.

>Nice shift of the goalpost

op never said turbo dumbass

Not that idiot, but that quote does absolutely nothing to describe the more common (and in this case, relevant) crossplane V8.
>yfw sticking up for a retard who doesn't understand any of this anyway

No kidding, he also never said aspiration specific. Either way, I gave you an example.

Has Wankel type problems- cylinder block moves against heads requiring lubrication - oil in your combustion chamber = dirty. Also spark ignites in head at different spots from intake and exhaust = temperature differentials that make the whole thing really hard to seal due to metals expansion...and we're back to more oil in the cylinder.

Cool as fuck idea though.

I6's aren't actually dead, at least not in the usual brands that edgy teens use to like
But in truck engines, whenever there is needed something cheaper than a v8 Diesel, its very common that light or medium weight trucks to have I6. Its just that they're rare, so actual inline 6 engines on street cars can be not that common, for example:
-cummin's engine for the RAM is a 6.7 liter Inline 6
-Volvo's ex T5 / Defunct since this year's V40 i think it was

And so son+

>I can still go out and buy

The whole point of this thread is that they're not being made anymore
>In the absence of balancer shafts, the disadvantages include rotating plane imbalances on 1.rotating mass (crankshaft), 2.reciprocating mass (pistons and conrods), 3.torque generation and 4.compression, all of which generate rocking vibrations.

>tfw no I5 diesel Tacoma

>he also never said aspiration specific

>op literally says inline-6 which is the type of engine and aspiration

...you don't know what's meant by "aspiration" do you?

A naturally aspirated engine, as the name implies, breathes on its own without any external help (external help being a power adder)

did op mention anything external?

>tfw I-6 is dead
Its not really but i see what you mean, I wish manufactures would throw money at it like they did in the early 2000s tho

Natural aspiration isn't the only form of aspiration. An OP didn't say anything about omitting forced forms of aspiration either.

in terms of pure smooth-ness yes

>in terms of an arbitrary measure, yes

>They should have kept that stroked 3.8 in the taurus and windstar.

I fucking wish, they would be such good beater cars nowa days

>understeer
nope

Agreed, it's pretty based, but the speed six only has one use. One function. You could use the BMW everyday and not die. Which is nice

>he doesn't understand pure automotive perfection

Best thread I've seen on Veeky Forums in a long time, good job

Driving a front heavy pendulum doesn't sound like perfection to me...

>copy pasting Wikipedia quotes
>good thread
Your standards are pretty low tbqh

Lmao, neither of us are wrong depending on how you look at it

Veeky Forums is pretty shit tb h

Touché :P

>assmad GM fangirl detected

alphones replied to me I'm sooo blessed

>all modern TVRs ignored the European Union guideline that all new cars should be fitted with ABS and at least front airbags because Peter Wheeler believed that such devices promote overconfidence and risk the life of a driver in the event of a rollover, which TVRs are engineered to resist. They also eschewed electronic driver's aids (such as traction control or electronic stability control).

They have trunks you know, but I'd take a real drivers car over a luxury car any day- especially when they are faster and cost less than a base model corvette.

looks pretty snug to me, including that electric battery
over 900 horses is nothing I guess nowadays

op here

at least the information was accurate and wasn't lies, dickwaving and shitposting

I still stand by my statement that this is one of the best threads on Veeky Forums in a while op, its not often that a thread that is actually about something is so engaging and not just shitposing

inline 6 is the only engine worth driving (and some v8s)

Come to Australia breh the Ford FG Falcon is an amazing I6 and still made here until October
> pic sort of related