/hhg/ - Hot Hatch General

A thread to discuss about Econo-Pocket-Rockets.

>What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take off on the other side of the Atlantic, but Europoors definitely have more choice.

>Is the Fiesta ST actually good?
The Fiesta ST is one of the best small hot hatches on offer at the minute; so yeah they're pretty good.

Last Thread - →

Current Hot Hatch Star of the Week - VW Golf R

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a8c5wmeOL9o
autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=loan-a-tool
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5684740254.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for ecoboost

Aww yeah.

>FiST for Ecoboost
How can VAG compete?

just bought a cobb AP, rear motor mount, and panel filter for my FiST. Quick shift will be incoming once FSWerks is back in stock as well

I'm hype

Are combi-coupés allowed?

looks good enough for me senpai

Kewl. These things are pretty damn slick, and I'd have got one if it weren't for the 9-5 being quicker and nimbler.

Nice! Have you picked out a tuner you're going to use as well? And is the FSwerks Quick Shift a plate adapter or the whole shifter assembly?

The RMM is one of the best first mods you can do on the Fiesta.

Just ashift plate adapter. I don't think I want the whole assembly based on how much shorter throw the adapters alone make it.

I have been reading reading a bunch of reviews on tuners and think I will go with tune+, but might wait until getting an IC to do so and stick with the OTS maps for now

Nice, the shift plate adapter (I have Mountune's) was not a fun install for me. It's a pretty tight space, took me about 90 minutes.

Tume+ is my tuner and I highly recommend him. Especially if you're considering running an ethanol blend. But waiting to do the intercooler is the right idea.

I'm considering doing the X37 turbo core swap this spring, if all goes well.

wasn't planning to do any ethanol, kind of hard to find around where I live. The FSWerks is pretty similar to mountune's but costs half as much. The install video makes it look so easy, what made it take so long?

Just a tight working space and big hands for the most part.

fair enough. Did you stay at 'stage 1' for a while? I'm wondering how much the stock maps will wake up the car

I didn't bother tuning for a while, I did the RMM/QuicKShift first, then a worthless intake (Cobb), got in on presales for the MAP exhaust and intercooler, added the AP, put on an eibach rear sway bar. finally got tuned and added a bunch of piercemotorsports braces. I only used the OTS tunes for a week or so before getting tuned by Tune+.

yeah i've read intakes do shit for anything. I really just got a panel filter for slightly more turbo noise

Considering the Golf R or Scirocco R. Currently leaning towards the Scirocco, but still uncertain about transmission. I'm very hesitant about DSG but I've heard good things. Any one able to chip in with DSG experience? Is it basically like driving a clutch-less manual or what?

>clutch-less manual

looks like the marketing teams got you good.

just get a real manual. Yeah, the 0-60 isn't as fast, but it's a much better driving experience

(although I haven't driven either of the cars you are debating)

'

>looks like the marketing teams got you good.

It would seem so. I just know that regardless of which trans I get, I will be second guessing my final choice for eternity. Fug.

Best hot hatch for

You might be able to get a Mk IV Golf R32 for that price if you do some hunting.

Also some high miles Mazdaspeed3s are around that price too.

How easy are wind deflectors to install? Got a set for my ST, bit don't want to damage the glass desu

but they do not touch the glass unless you do it wrong

Seems like they just slide in and then you let them sit for 12 hours.

sup guys, I got an 02 focus svt earlier this week. its got 75k miles and the previous owner did too many mods. did I do alright?

Looks sweet man.

its thrown a CEL but i havent checked the codes yet. my guess is that the riming belt was replaced DIY and that one vtec-like system is off or something like that..
and while I really dislike teh bodykit and plan to get oem parts, I don't dislike the wheels. I would have preferred to have the 5 spoke SVT rims though.

My 89 Toyota Starlet Turbo

thats cool.

would a first gen 300zx count as a hatchback?

beautiful

youtube.com/watch?v=a8c5wmeOL9o

hey, I'm the one that had the 02 focus a few posts ago. any of you have a similar setup? is it possible to set up the steering wheel controls with any stereo? I've never had those controls before..

>see all these nice hot hatches I can afford
>then look at the insurance

Fuck.

insurance on my 2016 FiST is only ~$150 more per year than I was paying for my '05 civic though.

>$

UK m8 and I'm 21 - can't get insured for anything with turbo.

UK insurance for a FiST is £480ish, 25, 4years ncb

Just need to stick it out until old age kicks in desu

Yeah guess I'll have to tow the 1.6L line until then eh.

>FiST

How much was it for rent when your dad kicked you out?

are you salty you can't afford a new car or something? Not sure what you're implying

2014 Moosetang GT owner here. Want to get a dog soon, but I can't carry a dog around in a Mustang. Should I get a Golf R?

Do you want to pay 37k for a Golf? You might want to try a Focus ST as well.

The king has arrived

test drove the gti today. it's way faster than i expected, but i'll be damned if that car is boring. comfy ass interior, quiet, hardly any vibration.

there's a huge difference between being fast and feeling fast. the gti is fast, the FiST feels fast.

not sure what else to look at

Depends. When looking at hot hatches, I drove them all. I chose the GTI for the reasons you mentioned. I didn't want a car that screamed "teenager". I wanted a car that was fun, fast, and comfortable. The GTI fit that bill.

right, fun is subjective. to me, caring what people think about my choice of car is a non issue. making concessions in my preference of a car because of what other people think? fuck that.

A good friend of mine is about to do an E85 tune on his speed3, which should be good for over 400hp

>I think this will be the car that kills him

All I can say is that priorities change throughout one's lifetime. I'm at a place where it wouldn't do to roll up in a slammed FOST or FIST.

> I didn't want a car that screamed "teenager"
That's funny, because in Germany, the Golf GTi is the cliché choice for teenagers.

That may be. In Germany. Not so much here in the states.

Scirocco is FWD

New colors for the 2017 Fiestas, pretty sure this is going to be the last model year before the refresh occurs. Kona Blue is gone and they brought a silver option back.

Also supposed to come with Apple Car Play or Android Auto now.

My 2015 GTI Key stopped blinking red, Changed battery, and the remote still won't work it seems like they key isn't turning on anymore or something.... Wat do? Tried googling but found no info.

Did you get it wet? Do you have a spare? Usually there's a key in the remote that can still start the car if you have to. Also probably call your/a dealership.

Are Golf R easy to maintain?

You just destroyed my dream. I always thought they used the same drive train from Golf Rs. Fuck you VW.

Why would you want a VAG shitbox?

I'm pretty sure they are a Haldex-based AWD system. Though the 2nd gens aren't supposed to be as bad apparently.

he is a masochist

No and no, I can still start the vehicle with the key using the touch panel or something. And yeah I'm away from home, so I need to wait till I get back to my state to do that I would think.

>VAG """"""""electronics"""""""""

so all they have is orange, white, silver, grey, and black? Damn.

The red and blue looked good though

here

accessport coming today. Should I install stage 1 OTS map before the filter/RMM are installed?

Yeah they've switched the colors and paints up pretty heavily every year but the first two. The 14s and 15s have a bass-boat like metallic flake in their paints that they dropped for the 16s. I'm interested to see the model refresh.

I wish they still made decent 3-door hatches. I don't want a Vee Dubbyah.

Would be great if they shit out another EG/EK style hatch, or a 3-door Focus/Fiesta.

The order of operations doesn't really matter, you'll definitely notice an improvement with the RMM though.

ok cool. I probably won't get the RMM on for a few weeks

tfw live in apartment and need to bum a garage to work on car from someone else

That's a job you could do in the parking lot with jack stands to be honest, with little experience it still shouldn't take longer than an hour.

I guess I could go to the target/wal-mart parking lot and do it there if it's quick. Would I only need 2 jack stands? I don't have a ton of room where I live to store extra stuff

You might be better off waiting, though if I recall, AutoZone lets you borrow tools for free, so you might be able to do it in their parking lot and borrow their tools.

autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=loan-a-tool

Are cars like the Celica and Integra considered "hot hatches"

I mean, they look like coupes but they do have a hatch.

I think those are considered lift backs technically.

can anyone tell me a hot hatch that is below 10k and has enough space to carry my double bass? preferably AWD or RWD

R32
Yeah idk about anything else

You probably want a V70R if you can find one. Not a hatch but more in line with what you might need.

is this a good idea
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5684740254.html

What gen r?

As a weekend runabout, maybe. I'd be wary of any 24 year old car being a DD, though.

Damn that's fresh. 130k too. I doubt you'll ever find a cleaner one

The new one.

New car. Taking it to mt first car meet tonight. It's the only running 20th edition within 250 miles. Talk the city as far as enthusiasts are concerned.

I'd have a nicer pic but it's 4.75mb and I'm not gonna go through compression on a phone it bullshit.

love that jazz blue and aristos. looks clean, have fun at your meet

Pepsifag confirms
FWD can never be fun and can never be fast

Thinking of getting mazda 3 used 2011 or 12. Whats best trim?

unless you guys think theres a hatch that absolutely blows it out the water in every category

Hey guys

America has no good hot hatches of the 80s-90s
Fuck you

well, there's the dodge GLH and GLH turbo. those were from the 80s.

mine is still broken
we are having trouble getting the fuel ratio to be right.

one day its lean, the next rich

cutie

don't feel bad, user. I paid too much for a half-rusted 84 rabbit GTI and paid for a new windshield and new fabricated frame that goes underneath the windshield. engine runs fine but it has a dead battery from sitting so long now. the underbody is pretty rusty though and instead of spending money to fix it, I got that blue focus svt I posted here a few days ago.

want to buy a vw?