CLASSIC CAR GENERAL

Classic Car General /CCG/

New Purchases Edition

Talk about classic cars, post classic car pictures, talk about classic car feels, blog post about your cars

So I have been gone for few months due to lots amount of work and just life in general. In that time I took the Pontiac off the road and she will be sold soon. I also bought a 1988 Ford Econoline for 3.5k with 20k miles on it. It used to be a police surveillance vehicle so the inside is pretty rad. I plan on doing her up cosmetically really nice. Mural, louvers, interior add-ons, visor, etc. She's gonna be real fun for the many years I expect to have her.

Other urls found in this thread:

infotrac.galegroup.com/galenet/indianalct?cause=http://find.galegroup.com/menu/commonmenu.do?userGroupName=indianalct&finalAuth=true&cont=&sev=temp&sserv=no&type=session
youtube.com/watch?v=23Ob08lRW48
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Now formerly Van Man, I sold the 77 Dodge van I had to purchase this, a 79 Caddilac Coupe DeVille with a factory 425 and turbo 400 combination. She needs some work but she's fucking amazing. My grandpa had a lot of Caddies when I was a kid and this influenced the purchase

Oh no, the orange one? That thing was god-tier.

Very nice my man. I'm tempted to pick the mega huge ones up myself ('76 for the dream)

Rape vans are classics now?

They can be.

>new purchases

Well I got this awhile ago. Might as well Bump the thread. Summer seems to take a toll on these threads.

Going to take the 460 and ford 9" out of it and build them for my maverick. Don't wanna scrap it tho. The rearend from my maverick is still good and there's only a small difference in width between the two diffs. Thinking about a 305 and 700r4 for the lincoln.

Excuse to use my new welder, I guess.

There's nothing more comfier than a warm cab on a cold day, radio on, gas station snack and coffee inside an old van with loose steering.

Congrats, there's no feeling quite like DDing a big 2 door 70's Caddy. Posting my semi-recently purchased 74 Coupe DeVille

I'm desperately wanting to find an early 70s Lincoln with pop-up headlights. Anybody have experience with these?

Yeah. The old vacuum lines leak and after like 2 or 3 days after not running it they slowly inch themselves upward. Sometimes one side faster than the other, which achieves a el retardo look.

nice trips

Is it an easy enough fix?

What is it about classic cars on a cold day with the heater on that's so fucking amazing? It truly is maximum comfort.

Sure, replace the vacuum lines. Not too hard. I can't really say anything bad about the early 70's lincolns, except stay away from the 351m/400 engines if you value power or MPG. The low compression and retarded camshaft kills both.

I've got a hardon for mid sixties continentals with suicide doors, personally. The 70's is when car design died imo.

Finally changed the rear diff fluid on my newly posi'd Camaro. Break in is finished, now just gotta play with the carb because it wants to stall when I launch it

They sure are comfy and classic as fuck. I love mine, it drives like fucking new and gets better gas mileage than my Pontiac did. Some fun facts about the van; all the interior stuff was done by a company called Stealth Tec back in '88 and cost the police department around 60k, the police took out the second rear tank and replaced it with a cooler, and the whole van is insulated like a god damn house.

I'd check the timing as well if it stalls when you launch. Tune the carb with a vacuum gauge to get the absolutely closest tune short of hooking up an A/F meter. My galaxie liked to stall if I did a hard launch. Timing was just fucked.

I've found two good potential projects that are fairly complete and not rust buckets: a 1968 fastback mustang and a 1967 camaro. I know they are boring choices but this would be my first classic project and they both have common, easy to find parts, lots of aftermarket, and lots of easy available knowledge. I only have space and money for one and I'm having a tough time deciding. Any thoughts?

Too retarded would make it stall, right? It doesn't ping that I can tell even at high load so I doubt it's too advanced.

I have tuned the carb with a gauge but I'll be honest it's been almost a year and it sitting a lot of that

Cadillac shitcrate master race

As long as you didn't touch the carb during that year, if it is the carb then I'd say it's dirty. It could also be the accelerator pump diaphragm has torn. That would cause a severe bog if you punch it. I'd check the timing first, though.

Found this googling and shit. Password is indiana
infotrac.galegroup.com/galenet/indianalct?cause=http://find.galegroup.com/menu/commonmenu.do?userGroupName=indianalct&finalAuth=true&cont=&sev=temp&sserv=no&type=session

After you login scroll all the way down and you'll see chilton library. From there you should be able to look up basic things for you car. Use the timing specs as a frame of reference, but remember they're from the smog days and it's for a completely stock engine.

>Put in a new battery
>Turned on lights
>Pic related happens with no problems
feelsgoodman.png

I should add in that it's been in storage for about 13 years and all but 2 lights work, the interior and a license back plate light.

Heavy Chevy lineup from tonight's cruise in at the local greasy spoon.

This 67 though. Fuck me.

Dumping

Citation count as a classic yet?

Caught this one on an early morning medical run a few weeks back.

Maverick hauling a boat.

Where the fuck is everyone?

I'm drunk and about to go to bed.

Be that way.

I'm drinking coffee and staying up.

yeah, she went to a good home

I'm out of beer god dammit.

I got side fucked by installing a new garage door. My old one almost fell off the track and onto my galaxie. More disassembly of the maverick soon.

What company's center is that?

>mfw all that oxidation

>trunk lock stuck
>unlatches the lid but it still needs another pinch of a turn to release the lid
>getting pissed
>lock is frozen solid now
>smash it off and use a flathead screwdriver to open the trunk
THE FUCKING GALL OF THAT GODDAMN CAR

for the love of god i can't find a single renault 4 that's not overpriced or trashed
i just want a renault 4, i think i've fallen in love

Maverick wagon. Nuff said.

NO LOW BALLERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE

I really wanna know the story behind this.

youtube.com/watch?v=23Ob08lRW48

Hang onto that shit, user. They're already getting hard to find.

That fucking animation quality, though.

>were there road fences on that stretch back then?

>road fences

I kinda wish there were more pics. I wanted to see what the interior looked like after all those years.

I'd love to put a new engine and transmission in and get those things on the road as is.

i'm all for zombie-grade rat rods but i don't think the sructual integity is going to hold up

slap some bondo over those rust holes. It'll be fine.

I have such mixed feelings about this. It's leaving a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. That camaro just went into the drink when it was basically brand new. Never really lived a full life to slowly rot and return to earth languishing in a field for decades. instead it's been sitting under that lake sight unseen for the past 5 decades.

Oh yeah, and it sucks about the six people too.

enough corpse camaros.
time for MOON CORVETTES

>They're already getting hard to find.
Why would anyone want to find an X-body?

Me. I would love to have one of the maybe 50 left in a few decades. Also, I know my girlfriend would love to drive one as a first car.

>Why would anyone want to find an X-body?

whoops, I didn't read the "why"

>he unironically wants a citation
bruh

>page 8 bump

So my heater core has been bypassed since I got the truck, and I just bought a new heater core. The fan has always worked but it is just slow as shit. Do they sell aftermarket fans for the heating system? I figure it is a good idea to do this now, before winter hits

Whoops forgot trip, new phone

damn i thought I'm the only one obssesed with cars this much

under high throttle in high gears, why do my carbs rattle? PCV?

mechanical fuel pump?
if you have one, those can do that

>mechanical fuel pump?
Yes, is it being damaged when this is happening?

more like the arm does it, not the internals.

absolutely glorious boys, the caddilac mafia of Veeky Forums

if it bothers you just change over to electric one.
im sure you can find one at jegs or summit, and get a block off plate.

its not really a big deal. they wear out.
a low pressure electric is what i would run if it was my engine. nothing fancy.

This is what I am going to do. Probably nets you a fraction of a horsepower, but you are also less likely to heat up the gas on its way to the carb.

Alright thanks guys. That sound scared me earlier today i though the engine was lugging hard or something.

All the nice vans in here make me miss my first car.

POS '88 Crown Vic, began life as a Maryland state troopers car. 351 Windsor, slick top, C4 tranny, cracked vinyl seats, crank windows, and no radio. Dad bought her at an auction in '91, with 98k on the clock, drove the shit out of it until 2000 when the engine finally crapped out.

Flash forward to 2004. The weekend after my 16th birthday, dad shows up in a flatbed with a rekt '92 econoline on the back. We had to drag this sucker into the garage, that's how twisted and fucked the body was, but under the hood....

A beautiful, low mileage (112k), fuel injected 351. Started right up once we put a in a new battery. Took about 2 weeks, but we pulled off the front clip, sold whatever was still good and literally cut the engine out of that sucker.

Took almost a year to get it on the road, but we managed to get the engine into the Vic and the tranny rebuilt. Eventually she got a 9" Trac-Loc rear end, and some suspension work.

Drove her for six years before the frame started to fall apart real bad.

She was ugly as hell. Big dents, three shades of primer, cracked windshield, missing grill, wooden rear bumper, steel 2x4 for a front bumper, most of the interior was either broken or missing( yes, vice grip window cranks), but the radio worked.

Wasn't exactly fast either, but fast enough. Handled like a dream though. Out ran the cops more than a few times, moreso because of the handling than the engine. In hindsight, I never should have got rid of that car, best times of my life.

sounds like it was driven hard
why were the cops after you

Just bought this 1986 Mercury Wagon. Has a 302 with 32k miles.

Forgot to mention, no AC and a hole in the hood, blankets for seat covers.

I lost my virginity in that car, won my first race in that car (vs. a riced out Prelude, but it still counts), drank my first legal beer in that car, first time I drove out of state was in that car (central fl to ky and back, by myself in 16 hrs).

Now all I have is the Transit work truck my boss lets me take home and use for short trips around town, a gutted and nutless caravan for long trips and a Cavalier for the track (mini-stock ovals).

I am one sad car guy...

Combination of typical teenage stupidity, and an ugly and COMPLETELY UNTRUE rumor that said vehicle was being used for the transportation of illegal plant life and/or untaxed white liquor.

Replaced the speedometer gears with what are hopefully the correct ratio ones. Didnt have time to test.

Nuuuuuuuu

Camaro a sex

bruh

Spark knock is where my money is at.

Could be, PO really fucked this engine over
I'm going to rebuild it this winter but i need to keep the damn thing alive for a few more months.

Well then put a light on it and pull some timing out, or if you're not already, fuel it on 93 exclusively.

I believe he set the timing to run on 87. I used to run premium but it starts hesitating on high load.
Thing has a hundred problems. Seriously can't wait for winter my dude. He did install electronic ignition though.

trying to upgrade my wheels. Currently has 4 lug setup with 13 inch wheels.

Are wheels spacers to go to 5 lug reliable? Will they sheer off on the highway?

I wouldn't recommend spacers, they just put even more stress on the steering and suspension because the tire has more leverage.

Okay, i might as well swap to disc brakes. That'll require 15 inch wheels even. I've heard horror stories of wheels flying off from using spacers during hard use.

Try checking to see if there are any obstructions in the airway leading to the blower motor first. Leaves and dirt like to build up in there and barely any air gets through.

>illegal plant life

You are literally the worst kind of asshole. Those plants are illegal for a reason. They're invasive to the native flora of the area. People like you are the reason kudzu is slowly enveloping the southern US.

>when bamboo is taking over your part of town in Mid Atlantic US.

Whoever did this will burn in hell.

79 corolla ke30.. new show car to drive family in.. need a front passenger hub mighty fierce tho.. no leads..

Not if it's dried and seedless :)

yes but then you're just a waste of air.

I will. I have to take the motor out to replace the heater core anyway, but I'll check that.

I think I need a new radiator and fan though as well. It has this tiny pinhole leak that adds up over time

Headers vs manifolds?

Why did i quote you

what are you even doing
you know headers are a pain in the ass to install