My illegal shop was shut down, i need 100 grand

>my illegal shop was shut down, i need 100 grand
>YEAH UH GUYS AS YOU CAN SEE DAN NEEDS OUR HELP *PUFF* SO GO DONATE NOW

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qfqRmDe67zY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dan seems like a pretty cool guy. I do feel a bit bad for him.

Who?

haggard garage wants 100k because one of their guy's shop was shut down

why was it shut down?

According to the thread he posted pretending to be someone else, operating with no business license, insurance, or registering with the bureau of auto repair. Woops! Life is so unfair.

He should have seen this coming. I don't think it's unfair either.

It's not. There's a reason for licensing.

I kinda want to peel the Haggard Garage sticker off my Miat
The black ice can stay though

they had a shop? thought they just did shit in their moms garage

Once again.

Who?

Also how does this law work? I fix plenty of peoples cars and they pay me, usually i just have a pay what you want, but they still pay me.

Rarely they don't, but i work on cars cos i like it, not cos i want money.

make your shop look more inconspicuous

It's like any other business. In most states, you're required to be licensed/bonded/insured to repair vehicles for profit, so that if you had a car fall off a lift, or or otherwise damaged it, the customer is guaranteed recourse to get it fixed instead of you just closing the doors and flipping him the bird.

It also insures you pay local/states taxes, and that your shop meets safety/environmental requirements, again, so that you don't end up killing an employee with a 7th hand floor jack you bought off e-bay

>There's a reason for licensing.

Most of professional licensing is designed to restrict supply to keep it in check relative to demand. Red tape and such rarely increases public safety or quality of service by any statistically significant amount. Even for the lower level professions where schooling is often required, non-licensed professionals who used a real world apprenticeship type program rather than schooling and a test to get licensed often show as good or better safety and quality.

>I started a thread that LPG posted in
now I have nothing holding me back from ending it

The important part of licensing your shop is protecting yourself. Even having an LLC alone won't protect you if you are the last person to work on a car and it has a mechanical failure leading to an accident with injury, whether it's your fault or not. Also you can get absolutely fucked by the EPA, their inspectors can make up their own fines for any amount of money if you aren't in compliance. Side work is never worth it and running an uncertified shop is just stupid.

Alright.

But is it a business, if i repair cars for people and peoples friends in my off time with parts they provide and often they hand me a hundred for my work?

Also is it a business to buy old cars, fix them up and then sell for a markup? Cos i do that too.

Currently working on a corolla, cos Toyota has the highest resale value.

I mean i'm not gonna stop, but i'll learn to keep it lower key.

>1999 corola LE.
>Buy for 500 cos 'won't start, parts car'
>200 something dollar fuel pump
>Yes it was a good quality pump, i take pride in my work.
>Install
>Price of 4000 on auto trader
>Guy talks me down to 3500
>Thinks he got a good deal
>mfw exaggerations on toyota reliability have made me a money
With a Ce i could have easily gotten around 3000.

Anyway, i just wanna know if i'm breaking laws here. A leaf btw.

>Side work is never worth it and running an uncertified shop is just stupid.
This is like a guy I know who tried flipping cars on the side and got fucked over by the DMV because he'd bought/sold like 9 in a year and the NC DMV limits you to 5 without a dealer license.

>But is it a business, if i repair cars for people and peoples friends in my off time with parts they provide and often they hand me a hundred for my work?
Do you make money? Then yes, it's a business

>Also is it a business to buy old cars, fix them up and then sell for a markup? Cos i do that too.
Absolutely is, see above. Every state limits you to a certain number of cars you can sell in a year without a dealer license, and your DMV DOES keep track of it. They might not throw up to much fuss depending on how much shit they have to deal with, but if they DO ever decide to come after you, it will be a giant nightmare

Sure, I won't discount that. But at the end of the day almost all licensing is a way for people already in the game to restrict supply. For instance, I am in a field that requires a masters degree plus a test to be licensed. Now that I am licensed I want the amount of schooling to double or triple and the pass rate for the test to drop to single digits. And guess what? I pay dues to a lobbying group that lobbies legislatures for that exact outcome. Politicians love the campaign donations and they tout all of them as trying to increase the public safety when it's all just really economics.

An LLC is dumb for most small businesses. Most people think, oh, LLC, I am free to fuck up and not be liable. When really most LLC's are wholly owned by 1 person, spouses, or another group of people deemed to be 1 entity so they're disregarded and treated as the individual, spouses, or group anyway. a spouse and spouse, S-corp is the way to go for many of those small guys.

>But is it a business, if i repair cars for people and peoples friends in my off time with parts they provide and often they hand me a hundred for my work?

Yes, but no one will ever give a fuck.

>Also is it a business to buy old cars, fix them up and then sell for a markup? Cos i do that too.

Only if you buy/sell more than 5 vehicles (it varies state to state, just look it up) in a year.

You could easily get fucked over. All you need is for something stupid to happen like someone loses a wheel or brakes to fail and cause someone to cause a fatal collision, and trust me your friends car that you worked on won't be your friend any more.

Working on people's cars is exactly like working on other people's computers, just with more risk

You work on someone's computer, every single little thing that ever goes wrong with it from then on will in some way be blamed back on you, and god forbid you fuck around with a computer that has a dead/dying hard drive and they lose data

Same thing with cars, you EVER start fixing them for friends/family, every single odd noise is going to cause your phone to ring, and as you said, god forbid anything serious ever actually happens

While something unfortunate can happen my money is on his running afoul of the neighborhood busybody if there's too much activity there.

insert meme here

This is exactly how I feel when people realize I work on cars on the side. Even more so when I know they drive some hard to work on shit box. You wouldn't even know how many people I went to HS with that now drive early 2000s Audis, Mercs, and BMWs that think they are the shit just based on marque.

dan the guy in the pic, who has worked with haggard garage/ricer miata in the past to build parts got in trouble. He had a shop set up in his parents garage to work on friends cars, and build race cars. He mostly builds turbo manifolds and custom parts. One customer trespassed onto his property, cops were called, and the cop saw the amount of cars there. Illegal junkyard and operating without a license charge. In his previous videos he said he tried to get a shop but the $100k license was too hard to pay for. so he did his on the side shop that kinda grew up illegally. He does work hard and wants to go legit.

He's lucky to get as far as he did, and making daily videos explaining every little detail wasn't the best move. I'm sure with the help of his friends and orion's lawyer he'll be ok in the long run.

anyone know if his parts fabrication for manifolds, knuckles, and other parts is still legal?

>$100k

See. Licensing is all about keeping the new entrants out. That's why a NYC taxi medallion costs almost $600-700k. And that's why taxi lobbies and unions are so against Uber and Lyft because those business threaten to devalue their medallions. It's all basic econ.

>Do you make money? Then yes, it's a business
But i don't really ask for money, people just bring their cars cos mechanic said too expensive. A mechanic was charging my friend 500 dollars for a drive shaft replacement on a 97 crv. LITERALLY 10 bolts worth of work. So i did it intended FOR FREE, but he just handed me 100 cos he didn't have the tools. And he told people he gave me a hundred so now when his friends and shit show up they kinda hand me whatever they feel like.

So i don't ask for shit.

Can't find any limit in Canada. Should maybe do some research. Though i will never get a car done fast enough to flip more than 3 (personal best) in a year. Mostly cos i buy cars after i know i can fix and flip easily, not quickly but know what's wrong. And i work on it when i want, not a job.

I wouldn't ever want to be a mechanic, there's a diffrence between a quick job cos i feel like it and a expectation from paying customers.

Nah, most of them are competent enough with cars to know what's wrong, just lack time or experience to do it themselves. Changing alternators isn't too risky and i always check the part they brought me first.

Besides can't sue me for anything because i always tell them i'm not a certified mechanic in anyway. And i always have them call me first and i have an app that records conversations, and i have kept all the ones from the 'this is X , [FRIENDS] friend my friend X has a....' Though that's only happened once to be fair.

God, years and years ago, I worked part time for Geek Squad at the ol' Best Buy, and fell into the "hey can you fix my computer trap" with friends. Never again. Been lucky enough to dodge it with cars completely

>Tfw I could have done some amazing Tales From The Precinct threads on /g/ when I worked in that hell hole

You do work, people give you money. That creates a business relationship/liability for the work you perform, doesn't matter if you are certified or not. Not sure about specific laws up in Canada, but backyard mechanics in American can absolutely get sued for work they do for friends and family

A good lawyer can sue anyone for anything.
Your """"recorded"""" calls don't mean shit,

I know what you mean, but thankfully that hasn't happened to me yet.

I just want experience fixing whatever is wrong, mostly cos i like it and also cos i want to know how to. I can't buy a shitbox that's fucked beyond repair and fix it, that's expensive and really time consuming.

So far no one has come back to me with a 'you did this and now this happened' i guess mostly because they understand cars well enough, but also cos they know what they paid for. Which is very little.

Total dealer price for installing a transmission pan, 1500. (with OEM spec pan)
Total licences mechanic price for tranny pan, (OEM) 1100. (AM) 700.
Total cost of me doing a tranny pan (OEM) 350. (AM) 175.

50 bucks and a french vanilla from Tim Horton and i do a job the mechanics charge crazy amounts for. Not even that hard of a job, drain fluid, remove 14 bolts, drop pan, new pan, apply silicon, wait, put back 14 bolts, leave lose, wait to dry, tighten to torque spec. I fucking hate it when people just turn the nut until it can't turn no more, torque shit right man.

Why do mechanics charge so much? I went to 8 different shops, and 3 dealerships to get new sway bars installed cos my current ones where rusty as fuck when i was 17. Prices ranged from 1200 to 2000 with new bar and links.

Bar and links OEM cost me 700, literally a few hours worth of work, a few bolts and nuts.

But i wasn't expecting money, nor did i ask for it. It never gets brought up, and some of my friends have forced me to take it.

Maybe you're right.

FUCK!!!!

This happened to me years and years ago in HS

>I do my own oil changes and do other things with my Dad to work on my 94 Corsica
>Super proud of what he's taught me, like changing radios, oil changes brakes, and power windows, etc
>Friend has a 91 BMW 3 series, forgot what the pos was exactly
>his back right window was stuck 2/3 of the way down, low coolant always on the mini computer, and head liner was always falling down
>Tell buddy to bring it by to see if I can get the window up and to get head liner up
>Get head liner up, window is a cluster fuck of german engineering.
>iminovermyhead.png
>try my best but it's not gonna budge
>offer to put the door panel back on and see if I can fabricate something for the car, but my buddy is already pissed, since i didn't fix it, even though i did this out of the kindness of my heart
>3 months later head gasket blows and his car dead
>Go to a family BBQ and his mother tells me it's my fault his car died since I was the last to work on it
>Told her I never opened the hood and her so called smart son was an idiot and never put coolant in his car and got it hot on is own accord

His mom stop talking to me and I stopped talking to him for a bit. Eventually he killed another car and he apologized and so did his mom after they realized I was only trying to help

you can sue anyone for almost anything. it's really a matter who will run out of money 1st if you don't have deep pockets or nearly unlimited resources. i've run people out of money and taken defaults because they couldn't afford to show up that meant garnishing their wages to make a profit.

>Why do mechanics charge so much?
Because they have to cover the cost of operating a shop properly. Nobody is getting rich running a shop or wrenching.

This. Even the stealership I worked at for 5 years had to average 38hours per lift @ $105 an hour to break even. Running a legit shop cost alot, especially a dealership.

I guess the law then exists to make sure these fags stay in business, so that niggers like me can't take all their business and leave them hungry. Even if that is what capitalism is about.

But still, dealerships make most of their money doing service and parts, this is a fact. Also everyone i've known who works/worked at a dealership is making plenty money.

Solo mechanics i can understand, but dealership dudes make way too much money to justify charging that much.

Do you happen to be in "southern " Ontario?

I was a Master Certified Ford tech making $15 an hour flatrate after 5 years at a stealer ship. There's a reason I left. I sure as hell didn't make too much money. You can only do so many Fusion headliner recall's as the guy next to you pulls in PDI after PDI.

any one else find it funny that the chick who was his "customer" was sitting in on his "just fuck my shit up my business is over" video? pretty awkward and weird if you ask me.

This guy is a seperate entity. He owned his own fab shop and worked on thier cars for them a few times. They did recently start renting a shop, though.

I find it awkward you said the same thing last thread

kek it should be reading
"be patient i'm retarded"

>bought/sold like 9 cars
Same thing happened to my friend who flips a few cars a year. Ended up wanting a ton of taxes once he got to a certain number of cars. He was looking into a dealer license just so he didn't get totally screwed flipping his car or two a month.

Working on cars for people you know is straight as long as you don't get caught in some fucked up lawsuit. Just be careful taking on big jobs on cars that shouldn't be on the road anyway.

And with the car flipping, as mentioned before, find out what the limit in your state is on buying and selling cars before they come after you wanting a bunch of money.

Daily Reminder that most "car" youtube channels are extremely cancerous and should be avoided.

that being said I enjoy this dudes channel

youtube.com/watch?v=qfqRmDe67zY

Yes.

Really? Damn i know 6 dealer ship mechanics none making less than 20. One makes almost 40 an hour, but i think it's cos he works at Mercedes.

But to be fair, you stayed at ford. Most of these guys start at some dealership, then jump to the next highest payer, and the end goal is always some German company. It's either Merc, Audi or BMW, they're the highest payers.