/domg/ - Dominions General

Everyone is Malakal edition

Previous Pankoman Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Do bully Elves

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

universe-on-fire.corgiorgy.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=t0vsNFO2pDg
dropbox.com/s/b2sx6ai6d24ksja/Kingofbullies.pdf?dl=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I need to sacrifice a cute virgin.

I think moggers is technically a virgin.

memes
universe-on-fire.corgiorgy.com/

Technically?

He has never a vagina.

youtube.com/watch?v=t0vsNFO2pDg

I hate that 'Malakal' mem, but real Malakal slapped my shit hard. Send help.

Are you seriously attacking Abysia, a Heat 3 domain, with an ice devil? That's your problem right there, friend.

>Ice devil Bandar log
Are you that same Bandar that went AI for no reason in NoBones?

I am a smart ape, I gave him fire ring. On the other hand I haven't gave him proper reinvigoration, so he nearly died.

No. Why would I play Bandar Log twice when there are 83 nations in the game?

Go away monkey, why me. Its getting boring.

>goes to hit save and quit, accidentally clicks quit without saving.

Time to go AI. Have fun with Ermor boys.

No, coalition forces are nearly not enough. We need C'tis and Shinuyama to lend a hand in the fray too. Otherwise everything is over.

That is why when doing my turn I regularly clicking End Turn button just to be safe.

>take a 1 hour turn in a big game
>accidentally alchemize 8 pearls
Welp, time to go AI.

In this case, I'll be going AI as well.

Let's all go AI, boys.

Love this meme.

Caelum, are you in here?

So, why did white just randomly go AI?

Yes. What do you want?

I want it all.

You aren't the Burdkang.

ANY AT ALL MA or EA non-meme games starting?

Acro where you at

>Non-meme

Just where do you think you are?

I want it all.

Fuck you, I'm getting it all.

Wow, how in the hell did I manage to stale that turn.

What was I even doing yesterday.

Which of you niggers has been playing Doodle or Die?

didn't find anything relating to us. share?

I don't play video games.

>Kind of want to make a new game since it looks like they're drying up but don't really want to get stuck playing it for too long

I've seen someone asking for "aboleth traps" twice now. Don't have the links saved though.

Fucking this. My shitty laptop regularly crashes when playing this game so I am constantly clicking End Turn as a way to save progress.

THIS WILL BE A LONG SERIES OF POSTS. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT, DON'T FUCKING READ IT.

Rise of the Pantokrator: From the perspective of Pangaea (Noob game)

I’ve been playing Dominions for about a year and a half now, though I didn’t know it even had a multiplayer community until about six months ago. That joke about six months singleplayer? More like a year single player for me. As you may expect, I got bad habits. Even though my steam account says I have over 600 hours in the game, I was nowhere near as skilled as people who have only played 50 hours all in MP.

RotP used the map Realm of Roaring Cave Rhinos 2, and I was given a strategically… interesting (?) start location. For those of you familiar with that map, it’s a large chunk of land with an island and some swamp provinces making for interesting choke points. My capital was snuggly between a swamp choke point to the west, a bridge to the island north, and some mountains to the southeast. I also had a throne bordering my capital to the south. Luckily, I had some nice forests nearby so recruitment of harpy scouts was never an issue. Unluckily, one of those forests had literally nothing in it so I wasted several gems site searching it to no avail (I like to use the site searching spells. I feel like the cost of using a few gems outweighs having to spend turns moving a mage who may not even be good enough to find all of the sites of his/her path. I’m sure someone out there has done the math and will prove me wrong, but… it’s just simpler imo).

My pretender was a dormant W9D2N2 Drakaina by the name of 800 Maenads in a Fort. As her name suggests, I went with Turmoil so I could stuff my forts with naked women. The extra points in N and D came about because I had a few points left that wouldn’t go anywhere else. I don’t recall my exact scales but I think it went something like Dom6, T3, S1, C3, G3, L3, M3.

>IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT, DON'T FUCKING READ IT.
FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME

I'M GOING TO READ IT EVEN THOUGH I DON'T WANT TO, AND THEN I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT

I first tried expanding north, across the bridge and onto that island. However, that was cut short on literally turn 2 when Atlantis took the province right across from the bridge. Immediately I was terrified that I was gonna get murdered by an UW nation that I had no ability to fight so I backed off and started heading that army east while my next expansion army headed west through the swamp choke point. Great thing about Pangaea: white centaurs make early expansion so damn easy. After making a dryad so I could research, I had a new expansion army every turn for the first six or seven turns.

The expansion west took the two swamp provinces, then I took one more, only to realize that it was in Caelum’s capcircle. Since I didn’t want to be a jerk too early, I retreated back to the swamp and let Caelum have it. The expansion party east found C’tis whose capital was only three provinces away from mine. Going south was going to be an issue since I had a huge mountain in the way. I wrapped my way around it, but by then Mictlan had moved north and took a lot of the juicy lands to the south that I’d been coveting.

Meanwhile, remember that there was a throne right next to my capital. Sending in a retreat-harpy, I learned that it was guarded by some wizards including some F4s. I then proceeded to suicide approximately 30 dryads trying to seduce these fucking wizards. I got a W2S1 wizard and a non-magical commander who then built forts his whole life. I don’t even recall if I got one of the F4 wizards or not. I think I did, but I’m not certain.

After 1 year, I think I had the recommended 12 provinces. Maybe fewer since I had to backtrack a few times. In my practice games, I was able to expand very well as Pangaea, but of course real MP games never go as well as practice games. Unfortunately money was an issue and I didn’t get my first fort going until around winter of year 1, and even then I only had the money via a lucky event (gave me over 1000 gold)

THAT'S OKAY TOO, THANKS

Initial research goal was Alteration 5. I knew I had to get Mother Oak up right away if I was going to succeed at this. I knew it would require N5, which I didn’t have. I had hopes that a Pan would appear with N5 because I’d had that happen in an SP game on my third Pan, but no such fortune here, so I had to research up to Thistle Maces before Mother Oak went up.

Lanka went AI very early on. They were to my southeast, but a bit too far for me to reach. They were sorta in between TC, Mictlan, and Marverni, so I figured one of those three would gobble him up. TC told me that he intended to do so.

Once all the indie provinces were taken (minus the throne next to my capital where I was still sending dryads to their death), it was time to decide who to attack/take a guess at who was going to attack me. To the north was Atlantis, an UW nation that I couldn’t possibly fight early in the game. To the west was Caelum, who was tempting, but I appreciated that he’d politely asked for the province in his capcircle back. To the south was Mictlan. Again, tempting, but I felt that he had too much land and too many jaguars with Blood Vengeance that I couldn’t take on right away. Then to the east was C’tis… oh man, C’tis. In the /domg/ threads, the C’tis player had been pretty aggressive. While I understand it was just for the sake of the game and I harbor no ill will toward him as a person, he basically painted a target on his back. Sauromatia and Tien Chi’i agreed, and we formed an alliance to remove lizards. I struck first with a handful of sneaking centaur armies. He had a large army in the southeastern corner of my land where we’d both been expanding southward.

There was one province which I predicted that he would retaliate. It a province where my commander was building a fort, but most importantly, it was a cave. I moved some centaur armies on that province that turn to defend it and bumped up the PD as much as my money would allow. Since it was a cave, it spawned Zotz defenders. C’tis was defeated largely thanks to the zotz spam and his army incapacitated. He lost most of his provinces to me, TC, and Sauro, but he pumped up his PD to his capital and got skelespam online just in time to keep himself alive. I tried to seduce-assassinate some of his mages, but skelespam too stronk. I thought Swarm would distract the skellies, but it didn’t help. Once again, probably sent 30 dryads to their deaths. It’s one of those things that once you start, you feel like if you stop, it’s giving up. Even though I knew it was futile, I just wanted to succeed once. I realized I couldn’t defeat him until I got something that could counter the spooky scary skeletons. I went for The Ravenous Swarm first, not realizing that it only affects one square of undead per battle turn. Then I went for Cleansing Water. While I’m doing this research, I also tried to domkill him and I got so close at one point that I’m sure I could have killed him on the next turn if I hadn’t had my prophet (a harpy) go someplace to build a temple. At this point his PD was too high for any sneaking preachers and I could never get him back to the dominion level I’d had him before. Eventually I gave up and decided I’d finish him off once I got more dryads who could spam Cleansing Water.

Meanwhile, and this is where things are a little fuzzy to me because I’ve heard different interpretations of events. From what I understand, Marverni decided to simultaneously attack both Sauromatia and Tien Chi’i. It looked like a suicide attack. Marv had been pretty small up until then, so why would he attack two people who were both bigger? I’m not sure, but Marverni was more clever than I had expected. He allied both Atlantis and Mictlan and recruited them in his wars. Atlantis took on Sauro, and Mictlan took on TC. In other parts of the world, I think Caelum and Yomi were fighting. Arco and Niefel were fighting. I don’t know what Abyssia was doing.

Marverni’s little stunt ended up working in his favor. Atlantis pushed Sauro into just his capital and also freed C’tis to his eastern border (I still surrounded him to the west). Atlantis and C’tis had an agreement of some kind. I’m guessing Atlantis promised to protect C’tis in exchange for D gems. At the same time, Mictlan’s doomstack of jaguars massacred TC. This prompted the most insane Hail Mary act I’ve seen in an MP game to date: TC’s pretender assault on Mictlan’s capital. I had a harpy there watching all the action. TC, the absolute madman, teleported his Blood Fountain god directly onto Mictlan’s capital. He was banking on the hopes that, since this was a noob game, that Mictlan wouldn’t have known to blood sacrifice and thus have no dominion. Well, Mictlan had indeed been blood saccing and TC’s god didn’t survive much longer. Even though TC and I were on friendly terms, I told him that I’d have to take his land if I were to have any hope of getting further/stopping Mictlan from taking everything. I took a long stretch of land to the east, wrapping around some Atlantis water provinces, and reaching Caelum on their western border.

I don't have any more graphs. For some reason, print screen and F12 don't work for me in Dominions. I've tried the various tricks people have posted (Alt-tabbing and spamming F12 quickly, but it never works for me). All these graphs are thanks to another player who sent them in to me.

I don’t want to get into too much detail on the diplomacy side of things, but long story short: TC and Mictlan were both friendly to me and I hesitated to hurt either of them. Honestly, I think this game taught me that I’m too nice to play this game. I have a hard time backstabbing people. It’s in my nature to be loyal.

I had a short cleanup period after TC passed away. At some point around that time, Arco was killed by Niefel and Abyssia was killed by… I’m not sure. I think Atlantis, but Caelum may have helped? I was preparing to finish off C’tis as I now had the magical repertoire to handle skeleton hoards.

But then, out of absolutely fucking nowhere… Yomi decides to attack me. Yomi, who was already dying after his fight with Caelum. It was geographically unwise. Yomi started on the island, crossed the bridge onto the mainland (Caelum territory), then came to the swamp choke point. He attacked my swamps. His messages seemed to imply that he was after the throne which was next to my capital. The same throne which I was hellbent on seducing a god damn F4 wizard.

I managed to seduce two of Yomi’s mages that had fire and I either finally seduced an F4 mage, or I stopped caring (don’t recall which), because I claimed the throne shortly after. I pushed Yomi out of my land by seducing/assassinating their commanders (I think I seduced a Dai Oni once, but he died the next turn when Yomi moved into the territory he retreated to), leaving the bulk of their troops with no commander. I asked Caelum if he knew what the fuck was going on, as I thought he had been winning against Yomi. He didn’t seem to understand either, and wiped out Yomi soon after. I was just glad I finally got some fire magic. Not that I needed it or planned to use it. I just like having a variety.

Speaking of magic variety, I got the Harpy Queen hero early in the game and used her to site search for air sites. The swamp province right next to my capital featured an Inverted Tower, so I was able to get a lot of air mages going, who forged a lot of Owl Quills and single-handedly saved my research after I had stupidly sent dozens of innocent dryad women to their deaths.

Then I decided it was time to finish C’tis. I went back on the offensive and then Atlantis sent me a message saying that he was protecting C’tis and that any fight vs. C’tis was also a fight vs. him. Welp, I figured it was time to start plotting how I was going to murder Atlantis. Luckily I had no shortage of allies. The Atlantis player had also been fairly aggressive, and was no friend to Mictlan, Caelum, or Niefel. Being that my pretender had W9, I offered to cast Thetis’s Blessing if the other three would provide me with excess W gems. I got WAY more gems than I had expected. Niefel alone sent me over 200. Needless to say, the spell was cast and it became pretty obvious to Atlantis that war was on. We prepared our armies for an epic battle and… he went AI.

C’tis meandered through my undefended lands which gave me an excuse to try out some spells I hadn’t really played with before. Seeking Arrow was fun, and I actually killed his god with it (pic related). I took back some lands with Call of the Wild. I also tried seduce-assassinations again now that I had Cleansing Water and I accidentally seduced a fully geared Bane Lord. I trapped C’tis’s roaming army between three of my armies and the ocean. I thought C’tis would retreat into the ocean since Thetis’s Blessing was up at that point and Atlantis’s neighboring province was empty, but he didn’t and my armies finished him off.

The rest of the game was basically AI cleanup detail. I was almost done cleaning up Atlantis when Caelum staled five-ish turns, then requested a week-long break. I don’t know what happened regarding that, but he never sent in another turn. I don’t know if he went AI or if the admin set him AI. Either way, I was playing against the computer at this point.

While cleaning up the AI nations, I did a lot of site searching to try and get a sizeable gem income and magic variety. The Citadel of Pyriphlegeton was next to C’tis’s capital so I had more fire mages to play with. The island had two provinces side by side, one with a Magus Temple and the other with The Temple of the Raging God. The only amazon province were Jade Amazons, which are redundant for Pangaea. I recruited some of the lizard riders mostly for the sake of having more sacred units, but they were rarely used. I had a decent amount of Death magic users as well, starting with some mages I seduced from Yomi. I summoned some Kokythaids with my pretender and they continued summoning various other Death mages.

My Luck and Magic scales came through. I often got extra gems and gold, and early on I got a ton of laboratories. Just about every province between me and C’tis had a lab thanks to random events. Probably the best thing I got was a Staff of Elemental Mastery around turn 25, which bounced between hands as necessary.

As I was committing genocide against the AI, Marverni was taking out Niefelheim who had cast Illwinter. It didn’t really affect me since I already picked C3 scales. There was some tension between me and Marverni right after Atlantis went AI because there was a throne on the border of us two and Atlantis. The throne was owned by all three of us at various times. It was close to Sauro, who was still alive and kicking somehow, though he only had his capital. He freed himself with summons and took a few provinces back from Marv before suddenly getting domkilled.

Marv and Niefel both started staling and I was afraid that I was going to have to clean them up, too. Until I remembered how to actually win this game of Dominions: 11 Throne points. I had 6: 2 from the Throne of Life (the one just south of my capital), 2 from the Throne of Gaia (underwater, next to Atlantis which was also just two provinces north of my capital), 1 from the Throne of Thorns (the one that swapped between me, Marv, and Atlantis), 1 from the Throne of Zeal (on Yomi/Caelum’s island).

I am Pangaea. I thrive on sneaking. And many of the remaining thrones were unforted.

Marverni had only one throne, but from the list I could determine that it was Fortune, worth 2 points. I also knew from my earlier discussions with TC that the throne next to his capital (currently unforted and occupied by Mictlan) was the Throne of Air. Mictlan had two other unforted thrones and so I planned to sneak armies in and take them quick. I only needed 5 points to win, so as long as I took Fortune and Air, I only needed one of the other unforted thrones, but I decided to go for both of them just to be safe. I had Bishop Fish equipped with Shademail Habergeons and Amulets of the Fish so they could sneak on land. I had no units that could actually make the Amulets, but I had a lot of A gems from Caelum’s land + The Inverted Tower so I just empowered a dryad.

I later learned from Mictlan that Illwinter had fucked his economy and he was unable to afford any forts.

My plan succeeded and I was able to sneak armies onto the three unguarded Mictlan thrones, take them, and hold them for a turn while my Bishop Fish and Prophet did their business.

Thus concluded my first successful MP game, though I’m not sure how I felt about it. The only real battles I had against human opponents were against C’tis at the beginning and the final battle vs. Mictlan.

My army was mostly comprised of White Centaurs and revelers, though I used a lot of Maenad chaff. I summoned a lot of Vine Ogres and Lamias. Most battles had about a dozen dryads casting Swarm. A few dryads would have thistle maces and someone would cast Howl and Mass Protection if my enemy didn’t have a lot of fire. Atlantis had a lot of fire not just from Basalt Kings, but also from the Tower of the Raging God which they found early on and recruited lots of pyromancers. There was always a Pan who would cast Relief, and some equipped with Earth Boots/Blood Stones casting Marble Warriors. I researched the Army of Lead/Gold near the very end, but ended up not using them against Mictlan. I had empowered my Harpy Queen to A4 to make the air booster helmets. I summoned some Fairy Queens and one of the Elemental Queens of Air and used Fog Warriors, and I wasn’t sure if that spell would work/synergize well with Army of Lead/Gold. I used the Serpent’s Blessing/Foul Vapors combo a lot, mostly for the sake of novelty. I enjoy seeing spells that work in conjunction like that. I also summoned an Earth King, a Fire King, and the Banefire King, but only the Earth King was really used. He went to the Throne of Air and cast Wizard Tower the same turn the Bishop Fish captured the throne. I wasn't sure if Wizard Tower would go up before Mictlan's army attacked, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

So yeah… that’s my perspective of RotP history. If anyone else in that game wants to comment, I’d love to hear your perspectives, and please feel free to correct me if I got something wrong. I hope you all had fun, and though I plan to take a break from Dom4 for a while, maybe I’ll see you again in the future.

THE END

>And many of the remaining thrones were unforted.

What is that? Morrowind?

Pathologic, which does look a good deal like Morrowind but is completely different in other regards

>not doing a pdf of it
(like i did) Everybody read it: dropbox.com/s/b2sx6ai6d24ksja/Kingofbullies.pdf?dl=0
It would be great having not having all of your thoughts lost in time like tears in rain. Don't you think so?
But anyway well done, user. You sure showed them how it's done.

I didn't write all at once. I saved it in a word doc. Didn't think putting it in a pdf

still one of my favorite games

>start a new game
>three province connections
>one has a throne
>one has barbarians
>one has heavy cavalry
Uh
Fuck.

Good show. You should feel good about your victory even if you didn't feel like you did too much to deserve it.

What I do is having it in a doc and save as a PDF.
PDF is more clean and easy to read.
Also add screen captures, everybody loves them.

Barbs can be really easy depending on what nation you are.

>memeing the triple digits
user, why?

>000
>one
>one
>one
Checked.

The AI won't do better than him though.

Yeah but that's the AI's problem not his.

Yes, his problem is being a fucking pussy (and playing on a map that doesn't have properly set nostarts, but anyway).

I am yes

How are you doing against Tir?

This is a situation where you probably want to spend an extra turn before expanding.

This. If you have cheap archers barbs are no challenge at all.

I warned you about ulm, russia, I told you he tried to backstab you

Elfs are being kill

He is still vastly bigger than me though

メイジのサポート

Have you read my offer? You probably know what I'm talking about.

The critical question for me, at this time, is if you think you can actually fight off Tir on your own.

Also the boots are sent.

It's a nice meme, but they are yours.

As for Tir, yes probably, but elves should be killed at every opportunity regardless

Ha, yeah. I know that game from reputation. Never actually played it.

Although you do realize that I can't remove PD, right?

I assumed you could. Maybe I've just never tried to remove it.
I'll be fine, the PD won't be a problem.

ded

>neetonly has finally started without any stales.

All of 4chin crashed a bit.

Alive.

You're playing with forces you can't comprehend.

What a swagleton.

Pretender for EA Vanheim?

wolf

Awwooooo. Double bless, awake, or?

Bless. W9, N9, B9, E9 are all good. One or two, three may be viable in smaller games. High dominion, income scales. Dump cold.

double bless scales woudl be safe IMO. W9N9 is always a good combo

My faves.

That's what I was thinking. What scales do I want to tank other than cold?

A mauser?

This is dumb and bad. If you're all in on a doubebless for a cap only, at least take a high enough dominion that you'll get more than 5 per turn.

awoo stole it from the corpse of a dead shrine maiden

I love you wolf-kun! Thanks!

That reminds me, I'll have to finish Valkyria Chronicle one day.

5 vanheres is 1 expansion party, you dumb fuck. This shit won me a game, and is about to win me another one.

Misf up to 2. Sloth up to... depending how bad your starting position can be on that particular map.

>for a cap only
one of if not THE BEST CAP ONLY IN EA you mean

What would you change instead then?