/org/ - off road general

Unimog is huge edition

mercedes with a down syndrome ;_;

if they would make one that could squeeze down tight trails i would love to own it

>implying i could afford it anyway
kill me desu

>inb4 jeeps ruin everything

>no ecoboost

but user, they do!

On the topic of big offroaders: Saw one of these Terradyne Gurkhas the other day.

hnnngggggg

>still costs a fuck ton
why live

Thoughts on regearing?

Bought an 80 series land cruiser a few months ago that I'm currently working on getting sorted.
Ideally I'd like to run 35s but I'm seeing mixed things about regearing. Some people say its mandatory for 35s on an 80 others say youd be fine without it.

Thoughts?
If regearing for 35s is a must-do I'll probably just stick to 33s.

(New tire diameter multiplied by old ratio) divided by old tire diameter should give you a number. Pick the ratio that's closest to that number.

>Tfw local show had a couple Iltis
>Can't afford one yet
I want it so bad. Can't wait to roll around and kek at the local Wrangler mall-crawler crews.

Depends how slow you want to be on the road.

i mean yeah thats what i was going to do
was trying to avoid it entirely though lel

dont really care its not my dd but i dont want to be holding up traffic lol

Honestly, 33"s are about the limit for standard gearing. You'll find 35" tyres will sap a fair bit of power, lose your low speed when crawling and also have a tendency to "run away" when going downhill.
From memory the 80s (at least the non turbo diesels) had 4.11:1 diffs. You'd probably want to ~4.56:1 if going 35s.

i want a 60 or an 80 so bad it hurts

Yea. It shouldn't be too daunting to use that formula. If you're really going up in tire size you might consider "rounding up" to the next higher ratio too.

imo 60s look cooler but the 80 is better in just about every single other way

id rather just not regear tho. 35s seem to be mostly doable with stock gears so thats what im leaning towards. i wouldnt really complain about 33s though either

I mean you can always regear later. I know you're trying to decide between 33's and 35's based on if you have to regear or not, but it sounds like 35's on stock gears are doable even if they're not great. If you think it's fine, stick with it. If you want to regear, deal with it for a while.