Automakers You Used to Like But Now Hate

>Toyota used to be better than everyone at everything
>now they just ride on their reputation and make hideous, boring cars that look like they're melting

Other urls found in this thread:

msn.com/en-us/autos/toyota/corolla/2015/photos-360-interior/sd-AAbLGTn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>no ecoboost
They fucked up a lot but that was their biggest mistake.

>This fucking meme again

How do you not get tired of this

It all started with the FJ Cruiser
>haha stupid American gaijins buying rusty FJ40s for $20k
>let's make a plastic IFS POS that looks like one and sell it to these idiots
But Akio, we already have a 4Runner that's exactly the same but better, and we still make actual good Land Cruisers
>put a compass on the dash and some rubber floormats in it, these stupid Americans won't figure it out

They're just going to keep doing it over and over, FRS, new Supra, I'm sure they'll make a "Hilux" for the US that's just a Tacoma with some different emblems and floormats, maybe even another FJ built on a Highlander chassis to compete against the Renegade

this desu

this makes me so mad.

GM

A few years ago I would've argued tooth and nail about how well GM vehicles are designed. Anymore I tell people to steer clear.
>Start working at a small local shop
>Start with tires & brakes until the head mechanic allows me to do more
>We see all sorts of makes and models
>Commonly see foreign makes in for minor things, usually just replacing minor wear items
>Commonly see Ford trucks in for upper & lower ball joints, owners never grease the bastards
>Ford SUVs & cars are in for typical wear items
>Chrysler products are usually in for front end rebuilds & transmission problems; a lot of the 41TEs have hitch assemblies installed

And then.. There's GM
>Entire front ends need rebuilt
>Constantly chasing down random misses on the 4.3
>Brake boosters
>Transfer cases (suspect improper use of 4hi during the winter)
>I'm tired of doing lower intake gaskets
>Completely rotted rear diff covers, wtf
>Wheel hub assemblies
>4x4 vacuum actuators
>The economy cars are in for highway vibrations, usually passenger side CV axle
>4L60E is shit
>2.2 ecotec shit
>Holy shit the rust, unbelievable rust compared to other makes

I feel like the company I grew up loving is the one I spend the most time fixing. The rust bothers me the most. Everything is practically welded together. I don't know if it's actually GM or if it's the owners fault, but I'm sick of doing the same jobs on these vehicles. We have a s10 blazer in for a coolant leak. Showed boss man the leak and he told me to put it aside as the owner probably won't want to pay to have the intake gaskets done.

Tell me this isn't the most gorgeous car design you've ever seen.

Go on now. I'll wait.

looks better than the old prius

w-why is it so upset? Who hurt its feelings? Did a mustang crash into it?

Total agreement, but a fun little aside. The 2.2 ecotec is a very popular Mini-Stock engine.

GM under roger smith (aka finance weeny) sadly declined... I have a feeling you work on those cars more than others because they are super common and dirt cheap now.

I have had two DustBusters with 3800s in them, both made 400k. With only oil changes, break pads, and other scheduled maintenance items.

As a shop worker you see the mistakes never the gems.

Whoops didn't mean to comment the bottom one to the troll :/

i like you guys

Just filter, it's probably some faggot who's parents bought him a base model v6 mustang and he's trying to convince people it's anything but shit.

>BMW
>Chevrolet
>Dodge

Sadly, Toyota doesn't have to try. They have no incentive. They are one of, if not the, largest automakers in the world. They have a reputation matched by few corporations in any industry and in any era.

They will have to fail in some major, meaningful way in order to change. And that won't be for decades.

Leave them to their slow decay. Look elsewhere for automotive excellence.

who buying lol

I think it's time we start filtering the word "ecoboost". I'm fucking sick of it.

that would be hilarious
filter it to naturally aspirated for max lulz

ctrl+f
nissan
0 results

It all went wrong

I don't hate Nissan, but their cars are ugly as shit, Infiniti naming convention is about as good idea as changing thrir u.s. name from Nissan to datsun then back to Nissan again.

I wouldn't say I hate them, more like I don't respect them anymore, but BMW.
>FWD 2 series and 1 series coming up
>spend more time appealing to normies with their 320i and X series SUVs than maintaining their enthusiast fanbase
I miss when BMW adverts focused on the performance of their cars, it was like Veeky Forums laptime memes. They were cheeky cunts.

their target demos are blacks and boy racers

it's honestly surprising they weren't destroyed sooner a la Mitsubishi

> be better than everyone at everything
The only thing Toyota would be better than everyone at is making cheap reliable shit boxes. But the vw beetle exists so no... Toyota had always been mediocre as fuck

>boy racers
I mean yeah sure gtr and 370 but aren't they going the way of crossovers now?

>tfw in 10 years the GTR will be a mid sized suv

>tfw in 10 years the GTR will be a mid sized suv
I really doubt the r36 will be smaller than the r35.

Toyota for the reason you gave.

Honda for the same.

Point on both Honda and Toyota, the reliability meme holds almost entirely because of the entry level cars. The civics now fits and cororla and shit are genuinly very good cars for the price, and they appeal to the average person. But everything else is just MEH.

GM cos world cars and money matter more than a good car or innovation.

GM man, they where such a great thing for the world automotive industry. All that fucking innovation LITERALLY talking cars, automatics, whatever else.

Post 2000 Chrysler. I still REALLY want a dodge charger srt hellcat, but since they've been passed around like a high school slut, they really started being bad. Snek still glorious. And i loved the old SRT econoboxes.
>Dodge caliber
>Neon
>PT cruiser GT
They used to be the Subaru of America, just weird cars.

Ford pre 2008, i don't wanna meme but ECONOMY FORCED INDUCTION is actually being used very well by ford, but that's because they almost died during the 08 thing and needed some way to recover.

Merc, BMW and Audi. Maybe most euro companies. Unreliable and not worth the money at all. You pay for the badge with these companies.

And finally Suzuki. Not sure why, but i don't what suzuki is doing anymore.

Chrysler Corporation.

It all started with the Neon, the little car that had so much promise and potential.

>Let's engineer a car with the most capable chassis and suspension ever seen on an American compact. Give it a 120HP DOHC engine that shit on Hondas with a rough, but accurate five speed manual.

Then they fucked it up in the most Amerifat way possible.

>If we use cheaper head gaskets we can save 5 cents on every one sold! Your brilliant Bob Eaton probably told some shit licker accountant.

4 months later, widely reported problems of blown headgaskets, making every one who bought the stupid fucking thing a ticking time bomb, reputation tarnished, what could have been. It racked up so many SCCA wins they had to allow other manufacturers to modify their suspensions just to be able to compete.

We won't even mention the cheap ass aluminum they sourced for their mother fucking heads and transmissions. Shitty Alumin(i)um heads on a cast iron block? What's the problem? Until the aluminum warped and the head gaskets blow. Then the transaxles were so shitty they would literally seep oil through the fucking casing. That's how shitty Chrysler aluminum was in the 90s.

Then we have the fucking sale of Chrysler to the God damn nazis. They called it a merger of equals but it was grand theft larceny. Chrysler at the time of the sale had something like 3 Billion in cash reserves. The most of any automaker in the industry at the time. So what does Mercedes do with that money? Did they invest it in new products and manufacturing plants for these cars? Fuck no! They go out and buy SMART cars. They go out and buy GEM a shitty company that manufactured what amounted to was electric golf carts. And what did Chrysler get? The privilege of buying last generation E-class chassis, that they STILL are forced to use today in the 300 and the Charger. So Mercedes couldn't just raid Chrysler coffers and call it a day. There had to be a grift as well. I have more to say but that's it.

Kek

Mazda. I still love their older stuff, but the ND Miata really does away with what little aesthetic was left in the NC.

NA 4 lyf

>So Mercedes couldn't just raid Chrysler coffers and call it a day.
Mercedes stole Chrysler's money, and in return Mercedes was taught the wonders of beancounting. Just look at first-gen ML500's, inside and out. Quality is comparable to a Chrysler product. You fucking reap what you sow man, and now Mercedes has the same reputation for quality and reliability that Chrysler does.

Trust. It's why I starated talking about the neon. And remember the "That Thang got a Hemi?" Ads they rolled out? That was actually what Mercedes viewed Chrysler customers as.

It wasn't all bad with Mercedes though. Remember the ME412 concept car? Quad turbo AMG V12? That was a HUGE middle finger to Mercedes leadership by a guy named Wolfgang Bernhard. Who was then recalled to Germany where he could be fired for allowing Chrysler to steal their thunder with their own running gear.

GM
Subaru
BMW

wtf i hate X now the thread

Subaru.

The WRX/STIs were priced like the turbo shitboxes they were and still are.

You used to be able to get a Forester XT, Outback XT, or Legacy GT with the turbo 2.5 and a manual and have a good, quick, practical car. The Legacy was even pretty nice inside and the Spec B had a 6 speed.

Now they've gone full fucking eco-retard and killed everything good they had, except the WRX and STI which are overpriced as fuck. The only turbo 2.5 left that's not in the WRX/STI is the Forester XT, which you can only get with a CVT now. If you don't want a CVT Forester, the flat six in the top spec Legacy, or aren't willing to pay $30k+ for a fucking WRX, you're stuck with pic related.

user, they made a happier ND miata and sold it to Fiat. Get a 124 and replacement badges.

>Toyota used to be better than everyone at everything

Le lenny face.jpg

>ow they just ride on their reputation and make hideous, boring cars that look like they're melting

Are you serious?

They're riding on their reputation of manufacturer of affordable and very reliable cars and that's what they're doing up to date.

Infiniti and Lexus

Audi. Went from some of the most badass rally machines on the planet to horribly unreliable and overpriced bullshit that only sells because of the badge.

All of the jap manufacturers, but mainly Nissan.
They had the z31 which I love
And the z32 which was still pretty cool...then it all went to shit.

And they killed off the S-chassis. Fuck them for killing off the S-chassis.

I traded my 1985 primer black Chevy c-10 longbed for a 2007 350z with 108,000 miles on it. Ive put nearly another ten on it in the last year and the only issue I've had to deal with is a brake replacement and a broken bearing. It runs like brand new, pulls like a motherfucker and best of all has no rust at all. I don't know what it is about nissans but you have to give it to them, they don't see the same rust issues other companies do.

It looks like a tuna boat, or an eel. A long pale spikey looking eel, I mean those headlights what in the fuck, the body shape looks like the short bus version of an uber limo. Come on man make something worth driving, rather a long-faced luxury shitbox on wheels.

i feel you mate

This thread makes me happy. No mention of Hyundai or Mazda, as they are on the up.

>And finally Suzuki. Not sure why, but i don't what suzuki is doing anymore.

my family's owned a suzuki grand vitara since we bought it new in 2006. regular maintenance aside, that car hasn't had a single issue since we got it. in fact, all the plastic covers on the engine have never once been removed in the past 10 years.

from I hear, quality started dropping around 2010. suzuki's US division then filed for bankruptcy in 2012, and thus they don't sell cars in the US anymore.

this sucks because resale value for suzuki cars plummeted, and quality OEM parts are now more expensive to obtain. that's not something I'm too worried about, however, as nothing has broken yet.

but goddamn it suzuki, if only you had lived a little bit longer...

>4L60E is shit
DELETE THIS

>Mazda

The Miata ND is a great example of lightweight engineering, all the cars come with manuals on all trims, and the 3/6 are simply better than their competitors, so I can't hate them for that. But still...

>no 200+ horsepower options outside the CX-9
>no RX-7 successor in sight
>Mazdaspeed cars confirmed to not be coming this generation

It kinda sucks. You think putting the CX-9 engine in the Mazda 6 would be a no-brainer, but apparently it isn't.

>Hyundai
Nobody used to like Hyundai, so it's not in this thread because it would have had to be liked.

And personally i fucking hate Hyundai, i had a 07 elantra my uncle gave to me as my first car, NOTHING but problems. I think i went a maximum of 2 months before a new thing broke down and the dealer said they didn't cover it.

So fuck Hyundai. Also i work with some chick who owns a 2015 elantra, and owned a previous gen. She said she bought this one, because she had ASS LOADS of trouble with the last one so the dealer took a lot of money off her sale. She's only had it 3 months so no trouble thus far.

IDK what up they're on, but i don't see it.

Do you do a lot of work on trailblazers?

OP +1

Toyotass are just boring souless enconoboxes.

i used to drive a older roller and got in one recently and holy shit are they BAD.

-Worst interior ive ever seen
>Uncomfitable seats
>Visability a shit
>Terrible Ergonomics
Only good thing about it was the 105kw engine and above average CVT but the Traction control wont totally turn off and the car still nannystates whenever it can.

Good points

>Good grip
>Decent Handling even on stock steelies
>Decent Speakers and Insulation
>Easy to work on

Goddamn that interior tho

msn.com/en-us/autos/toyota/corolla/2015/photos-360-interior/sd-AAbLGTn

WHY

It literally has worse feeling buttons and materials than a 16 year old ford

I thought they were going to make a rx-9 when they told people to put their money where their mouth is.
Thought people were throwing cash at them.

If they threw their damn 6-speed in all their higher-end cars, they'd be doing a lot better.
I hate automatic with a passion, I drive in the city and still drive a manual.

I used to think Toyota was an okay company until I found out how dangerous they were in small overlap crashes, and then how they only reinforced the driver's side to look good on the small overlap test.

Toyota cares too little about the safety of their buyers.

Mazda's pretty retarded, not as bad as everyone else but still down there
>no mazdaspeed until 2021 at the earliest because beancounters
>rx9 just a very early concept (looks terrible too but thats just my opinion)
>one of the most 'fun' lineups but the car with the fastest engine is a fucking SUV and their only RWD is the miata
>when people asked for a simple fastback miata they made the RF which just made the car heavier, added more breakable parts, and didn't increase trunk space at all
>still haven't addressed the ND's transmission issues
I wouldn't say 'on the up', just in a very meh state. Could be way, way worse. Could be doing whole lot better

Fiat:
>back then
-nice looking shitboxes
-you knew they were shit but somewhat reasonable priced

>now
-hurr bitches love the 500, let's use the design for everything no matter how retarded it looks
-became expensive and boring
-yet dickish enough to move to Holland for lower taxes n shit
-still unreliable shit

there's no reason to buy a fiat at the moment

I've had a 08 Sonata for years and its been extremely reliable.

The only thing I've spent on that car is oil changes and bulbs.

I'm genuinely surprised.

Pics?

BMW cancelled the FWD m8.

I drive a 2000 Esteem and can confirm that Suzuki used to be fuckin awesome. Reliable as hell, practical wagon body, surprisingly good driving dynamics. I've had some trouble sourcing parts, of course, but I hope to keep it for at least 5 more years. Suzuki's big fuckup was turning away from their history of small, quirky, fun cars and trying to transition into a mainstream manufacturer. They lost their brand identity and paid for it with their solvency.

The WRX is actually cheaper compared to when it came out. MSRP was $24k in 2002, compared to $26k now. If it kept up with inflation, it would start at $32k instead.

no, it just ended up being china only
iirc theyre the only ones who get a fwd 4 series