Explain to me brakes

Explain to me brakes,
every other car review I hear "these huge brakes with such braking power can stop it on a dime" and how a cars braking capability is due to these huge ceramics etc.

How can you improve car stopping distance with better brakes ? (I completely udnerstand the need for better brakes for heating, brake fade, calipers etc.), but braking once from about 100mph even some shitty little brakes can lock the wheels before they overheat, so the stopping distance should be the same as with upgraded brakes ?

As I understand it, braking distance can be improved by things like: More tire (wider), less weight, more downforce, weight distribution (more biased towards rear wheels)

Am I missing something fundamental ?

large disc surface
large brake pads
large brake pads grabbing a large disc surface

but even with the much smaller little brake calipers and discs, the force is enough to lock the wheels, why would bigger be even better ?

why do we have this same thread every week?

Something that plebs never realise:
>Tyres are far more important for stopping distance than brakes

who /4 wheel drums/ here

OP here, first time posting anything similiar, but from the things I am reading every other time there are people with much bigger understanding problems which could benefit also

I stated tires

>the force is enough to lock the wheels,

Not from 100mph. Also, brake hard once or twice with tiny brakes and you can throw them away. Pads and discs.
That's what big brakes are for. Consistent, repeated heavy braking.

other things to consider

friction coefficient vs temp curve
intial bite
feel
endurance
pad wear
disc wear
replacement cost
noise
dust type
weight
warp resistance

there's lots of things that work for and against each other

Thank you :)

^This

Also remember that maximum braking efficiency is right on the threshold of lock.

Higher speeds demand more brake pressure to lock the wheels on initial braking input. Bigger brakes allow you to reach the threshold of lock right away at higher speeds.

What is ABS?

>why do we have this same thread every week?
Because this thread keeps disappearing before new people can read it. That due to alphonse and other trolls spam the forums with lots of new threads. Those threads then push slower information-oriented threads off the boards.

I've messed around with some dirt track cars, and I've driven a few albeit just on and off trailers and around the pit as a crew member but one thing I noticed right away was how great the brake worked. Turns out they were nothing too wild except that they had NASCAR style floating rotors. The calipers themselves were fixed large single piston as allowed in the class. Believe it or not, the large single piston calipers produce much more braking force than many aftermarket 4 and even 6 piston setups. Most 6 piston calipers are garbage, full of flex, and just unnecessary extra weight and complexity. You're typical amateur race car is usually good with 4 pistons as the best combination of stopping power, flex, and weight. The rotors were not super large, just 12.9" diameter, but they were very wide 1.4" width. The ability for them to float on the hub made them 100% centered at all times so braking is fantastic.

muscle group on your abdomen.

Unless the brakes are very undersized stopping distance is usually limited by tire grip

"huge performance brakes" are all about heat managment

how is it brakes can get so hot? but the best brake fluid cannot work above 594 degrees?

the brakes are white hot. thats much hotter than any brake fluid can handle. how does it work?

the other day i drove my car hard, i think it has ceramic brake pads.
anyway i got it hot, and yeah i might have been a little too hard on it. so they had that hot smell you know? a little like burning hair. but the thing is the smell did not go away. the car is parked and i can still smell the hot brake 2 days later.

what the hell is this offensive smell?

why does the exhaust temperature of a car reach 1000C when the cylinder head coolant temp is only 100C

It would have to transfer from the rotor through the pad, backing plate, and piston, then enough fluid for a boil over to cause problems to feel it. It happens but usually because of undersized brakes, cheap pads, or some kind of design error. Ferrari carbon ceramics have fancy pads and backing plates that don't transfer a lot of heat.

And goddamn carbon ceramics can put up quite a smokeshow to go with the glow.

Brakes convert rotational inertia into heat by means of friction.

not all hot brakes are ceramic

yup and? the caliper touches the pad directly in most cases. the pad isnt any colder than the rotor is it?

The pad is made of an insulating material

lrn2 heat transfer

who told you this rubbish
here is one made out of copper

That's not 100% copper

i have a feeling the pad is at least as hot as the rotor is.

At the contact area probably. I'd imagine most of the heat is transferred to the disc tho

ITT a bunch of people who aren't 100% educated on physics try to talk physics

>100% educated on physics
what does this mean? that you need to know 100% of physics? because that is beyond even most physics degree holders.
or that you know physics and no other subject?

shut the fuck up, i mean that none of you actually know how this stuff works. kid

Ceramic rotors don't make a car stop better.
They make the brakes fade slower.
But if they do overheat, you're basically fucked.

Glazed pad material, probably. I bet that if you drove the car around town a bit it would go away.

what makes you think that then?

holy shit guys it's simple

Heat dissipation. Bigger rotor means bigger heat sink. Bigger surface area requires larger pads which in turn require larger calipers.

Most people would be better served by proper brake ducting.

Brake absorbs heat cause friction.
Brakes work better with less heat, work like shit with more heat (brake fade).
Size of brakes and materials used help for heat to dissipate and keep brakes from fading.
Undersized brakes and cheapo brakes dont work as well as highend stuff.

>with more heat

not really, there just reaches a point where the material cant hold any more heat and can't take the friction any more

Thank you repeating what i said in a longer unneeded way

but you said more heat = bad when in reality it's a certain amount of heat = bad

some brakes work poorly when cold and need to be warmed up