EnglandFag first car

Any average joe english dudes here who recently got onto the road?

What am I expecting to spend keeping a typical 1.0L shitbox on the road?

Get a simple as hell car, original mini for eg, do most of any repairs myself

avoid blackbox insurance, not to be a boy racer but to avoid the stupidly low sped limits in places, england fags will understand

fuck yo couch

BUS WANKERS

Oh m8 you're gonna get so much clunge with that yellow cinquacento hawaii.

Yea man the boot is a little small but people are bendy when unconscious

Minis are overpriced you won't get other than a shell for under a grand.

Just get a common shitbox (106, Corsa Yaris etc) with cheap spares.

>Original mini
Good luck finding one for less than £5000

Just buy a Corsa or 206 and prepare for insults. After a year buy an old BMW and enjoy hektik skidz

>obtain ten-year-old corsa/ka
>put a few dents and scrapes in
>drive it into the ground while building up big boy no-claims
>purchase three-year-old nice-ish car using scrap-value corsa as the trade-in
>upgrade to actual nice car in a few years because you've been an adult and budgeted for it
fuck's sake this may as well be on the school curriculum by now.

Just buy a Civic/Corolla.

enjoy smelling of curry

compare insurances for different cars
some cars are cheaper than you think

Volvo

My first car was a Rover 25. Not even once.

Citroen C(lunge)1

25 is the best supermini though,it kicks the shit out of the same era corsas and kas

If you get the 1.8 or the UNLIMITED 1.4, then yeah.

If you got the limited 84HP wheezebox 1.4 then it was a fucking pain, then the headgasket went.

>1.4
>Headgasket issues

I was under the impression that the head gasket issues only came from the bored out 1.6 and 1.8

My 1.8 (ZS) has a cracked head, and my ZR before that also had a cracked head, so maybe I'm just biased though. I've only ever owned the 1800 K series

1.25 Fiesta m8. Never put a foot wrong that car. Lasted for 8 years before I sold it on.

Avoid blackboxes like the plague, and don't fucking crash.

Good luck.

the elastomer heads were in every K-series engine

first car was this 1275GT (engine/interior) got it off next door for free (long story) and i still sort of own it but its in a garage for full restoration work, and currently drive an Up! till my AE86 arrives from japan

>Actually driving an Up!

I haven't seen anyone male or under the age of 70 driving an Up!, why did you buy one?

I thought the issue wasn't the material but rather the 18" steel head bolts flexing around inside the aluminium block

"This is usually to do with the red neoprene sealer that is attached to the gasket – this is damaged very easily.

Early manufactured gaskets had this sealer lightly bonded to the surface of the gasket and was prone to just coming detached by any gentle contact.

Later, gaskets were improved by bonding the sealer together through holes in the gasket. This stopped the sealer scraping off but is still prone to ‘nicks’ if not being fitted with absolute care."

I also had to have my head shaved flat since they tend to warp

Good to know, I'm in the process of deciding if I'm going to bother pulling off what is probably a cracked head (previous owner swore up and down that he fixed the head gasket but a puke tank full of oil every day is proof he didn't) or if I'm just going to sell it and empty the puke tank 15 minutes before anyone comes to see it

Don't be That Guy. People who sell broken cars as working ones put people off cars for life.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy an old diesel BMW and fix the MG over the course of 30 weekends

You can replace the HG in a weekend if you're a beginner, as long as you don't need a head shave. I got the head all the way off, then used a straight edge and saw it was warped, then thought "oh shit". Ended up having to take it to a garage to have it shaved and finished. While you're at it, change the thermostat, water pump and timing belt.

I'm more worried about the head being cracked, since the head bolts are shiny and new so it's been off before, yet it's only at 60,000 miles