/rlg/ - Roguelike general

New Demon release adds more Sanctums: demon.ferretdev.org/devblog/

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous Thread: >

Other urls found in this thread:

angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7755
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for chei

Who thought irresistible damage speed 20 smite machine guns with decent HP and MR+ could be a good a good idea for a lair monster
Who thought shortening lair to 6 levels was a good idea
Who thought shortening orc to 2 levels was a good idea

You're memeing wrong

does anyone have the 1984 balancecrime image

You fucking know I do

They can take their extra AC silken pantaloons and their pretty tiles, I'm not touching trunk until they take those things out

>playing for the first time this year
>cleaning a lair branch
>entering branch 4
>tfw

In Cataclysm, how far can I get if I stay pure (no bios and no mutations)?

Orc on 2 levels only is such a retarded change i cant even explain how stupid it is
Dream sheep and those retarded flying smiting shits are retarded as well, they can even wear armor and weapons i believe..

Lots of things can wield weapons and armor that you wouldn't expect them to.

>A Boggart comes into view. It is wielding a scimitar (Flaming).

You can beat the game? It just takes longer to rng into crutches

It always looks silly. I really want to see a boggart wielding a weapon now.

>now that chei has piety decay firstforchei poster has to actually post first

What is the meaning of adding piety decay to a god who's literally just about taking it easy
What kind of shit for brains would do that

Their goal with the new versions seems to be making the game shorter but more "intense". They know they want more "tactical situations" but have no idea of how to pace the game in a way that makes it fun for anyone but the guys they circlejerk with on the IRC, which have already played the game for years and hundreds if not thousands of hours on end

This ironically makes the game feel much longer than it was before they tried making it shorter

So there are a couple of sci-fi roguelikes and a bunch of fantasy ones;

what genre could come next?

I like the new UI interactions, the health bars, the staircase discovery and tiles. But I really hate the new stuff.

Could I grab the tiles from trunk, download .15, switch them and play .15 with trunk's tiles, offline?

I've kinda been thinking about a sort of western-vibe game. The problem with anything that isn't sci-fi or fantasy is that having magic or space magic is an easy way to add interest to your game.

>finally managed to get the new demon release working
>have to use some legacy startup option because my toaster doesn't have new enough opengl
Stop advancing, technology. Thanks.

>opengl
>for a roguelike
it's fucking letters on a black screen for christ's sake

It could be a weird west style game; I've seen them before on Veeky Forums and similar places. Wild west settings in a fantasy world, or at least where the march westward goes into strange territory with all sorts of weird creatures. Wampus cats, wendigos, monkey men and dinosaurs in the swamps. All kinds of potential weird magic or just strangeness that isn't even called magic.

If you have any other suggestions for Crawl interface improvements I'll be happy to take a look at implementing them.

I like the Crypt entrance sprite.
Is that spriter still active?

Piratepunk

>unity
not even once

I've been working on a Payday-inspired roguelike, so far I only have basic engine (load map, move @, highlight los) and tons of disjointed documents and notes on gameplay, stats and balance.

lol didn't know Xom could do this

>It always looks silly. I really want to see a boggart wielding a weapon now.

Here's your boggart.

>The Desolation
>A portal vault added in 0.19, featuring open areas with vision blocking clouds and non-living enemies.

Only having six slots seems like a big nerf. I guess to stop the "recruit literally everything you see early on" approach? Feels like I'm playing brogue with my pack constantly being full.

How do i destroy orange crystal statues?

DCSS uses SDL2 with an opengl renderer.
ToME4 uses SDL2 with an opengl renderer.
DoomRL uses SDL with an opengl renderer.
Brogue uses tcod which uses SDL for rendering, which attaches a simple SDL rendering context to a wrapper of native system window creation calls.
OWH+ uses a DX11 renderer.

It's 2016, developers who are half fucking competent can make use of a hell of a lot more than ncurses.

Shoot it until it dies

new hengband is out angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7755

also looks like chris is working towards a new poschengband release, as per stuff I've seen on his develop branch on github

But wow I had no idea at all that Hengband itself was still alive in some dev.

Yeah, man. However, the game is more generous with credits so you can give what you have more abilities and whatnot. I've gotten used to the smaller default party size, anyway.

>snakes to sticks
hah

pottery

New Weird.

Yeah, but that would require me to actually plan a build or something, instead of bumbling along losing all the unique links like I'm doing.

Good luck user.

How does oone kill Cerebov and Antaeus as a SpEn considering they are awake?
I mean if I completely cannot i will just give up on a 15 rune and finish the game

you can just snatch the rune without killing them, even without apportation.
or you can level up throwing some and use needles to confuse/paralyze them and kill them easily, if the dungeon has spawned any.
mana vipers and other summons could help as well.

>potion of exp at fucking D:1
>use it on longswords since I started with one
>Level up, your fingenails lengthen
FUCKA YOUUUUUUUUUUU

no
fucka you
~They

>Not maining fighting
You can cruise to lair just on the power of fighting and a defense. Then you'll have the pick of all those floors worth of drops

Shut up Khaled
ITS A LIE I NEVER BREAK THE LAW

Horey fugging shiet
Maybe i should go sneaky stabby

yeah i'd definitely go with long blades.
claws mut honestly isn't even that good especially with xom. you'd probly get the level 3 of it at xl 27 anyways.

o fugg :D

Nice, the base base damage could be a little higher but besides that you got a good shutdown swap.

If you eeeeever feel like stabber, go play a Sp/VpEn to cure you of your insanity. You're a demonspawn. No.

He's probably the easiest of the late game uniques to kill early on, but mainly if you got a lot of allies yourself.

Paralysis ended, only 37 hp left. My step from time failrate is dogshit (36%)

slouch time?
>If you eeeeever feel like stabber, go play a Sp/VpEn to cure you of your insanity. You're a demonspawn. No
both of those are boring to play as stabbers. you need to run away way too much
Ds is just as fine stabber race as any, can actually fight if shit goes south, and even has a chance to get innate darkness.

Whats going on
Is Xom smiling upon me?

If Crawl must be cleansed of all bloat, how come we still have 6 different food items?

Invis, temp disto, fear, agility heal wounds twice, slouce the normies out, rip and tear. if you had enough invo you could have bend time slowing major threats like say, an orc sorcerer

oh didn't notice paralysis lol
i guess your best chance would be fog tele and quaffing hw ambrosia invis?

Major satiation, meat
Major satiation, plant
Med satiation, meat
Med satiation, plantish
Low satiation, meat, 1 turn consumption
Low satiation, plantish, 1 turn consumption

Blame spriggan flavor.

how come we still have hunger mechanics?

to keep inventory space management tactical™ and interesting™ :^)

Honestly, I feel like there aren't any good scifi roguelikes out there, unless you count Prospector. It's still an anemic market.

Someday I'll have my ridiculously bloated roguelike.

Oh god I spent all my gold on two farm deeds and now I can't carry all this stuff what

It worked but I got cocky and tried fighting roka anyways once I found her again. Needless to say I got fucking trashed even when invisible and mighted

After playing a slime in pozcumbutt can you really want anything else than that heresy?

Drop some of it until you're below your listed max weight. Go sell, cook, rest, repeat and don't leave the map until you're done. Sweet potatos are permafood so hold onto them. Look at the rot timers on the wiki to know what to prioritize.

FUCKING XOM HE SPAWNED A 3 HEADED HYDRA UP MY ASS
Back to Trogspawn

I'd make it for you if I knew how to program.

But more pressing to the thread; what's your favorite kind of 'bloat' and what do you want to see more of with it?

t-thanks papa xom

run away so he makes the hydra eat itself (or git gud)
:^)

how do you think the hair smells haha
i would like to smell it haha
just for laughs

add an auto_autobutcher rc option that turns off autobutcher if the player worships fedhas or knows any corpse-using necro spells

>Wasting ID scrolls on wear/wield-IDable stuff

haha that's like a bit creepy
at least I think haha
but like probably like strawberry haha
i'll smell it

they are statues

if you have trouble fighting them just walk away from them like your father walked away from your life

Whelp, a quarter of the stuff rotted, but at least I made some gold. And, like fifteen gardening skill and six cooking! Next one will be a bit more money, I think.

add an option that picks up misc slots that you don't have filled

add an option that stops picking up wands of types that you've picked up and dropped before

none of the stats on that dagger matter for doing sneaky-stabby except the +6

and a +6 dagger of drain will still not be as good as claws for just murdering the dudes once you have some skill

Yeah, in the future, don't harvest more than 6 at a time. Harvest, cook, rest, repeat

power-at-a-cost, along the lines of Chei or Ashe

Demon is really appealing to me.

Can a stealthy stabby enchanter even really do Bailey? Every time I've seen one they're packed, loud, and completely lacking in corridors.

Sci-fi and fantasy work as genres of book and film, but not so well as genres to fit video-game worlds into.
There are steampunk and cyberpunk roguelikes, but those are both part sci-fi and part fantasy.

How are shops for cooked food - does it just rot, or does it sell?

Heh heh heh...

Roll (w)ield, (W)ear and (P)ut on into a single command.

Since you cannot use an item with more than one command, Nethack-style, what's the point of three different ones?

>You wield a long sword of distortion
>Unequip it?
>You are cast into abyss

It will sit until it sells or you take it out after which it pretty much instantly rots

>Sci-fi and fantasy work as genres of book and film, but not so well as genres to fit video-game worlds into.
Why the hell not?

>Aizul yawns, and then pretends she didn't

AIZUL A CUTE! CUTE!

>she
Who is this penile reptile?

Alright, that seems like a nice way to do it, then!

They're just too general!
Hardly a single video-game wouldn't fit into either genre unless it was educational, simulationist, or puzzle.

>You try to fuck Aizul, but your plate boxers prevent you from hitting.
>Aizul fucks you!
>Wow! That felt really good!
>You come...

>plate boxers
kek

I'm not getting what you mean.

But there's a fuckload of different, specific flavours of Sci-Fi or Fantasy.

>driving with Dowan
>accidentally grab his leg instead of the gearstick
>we both laugh and I unzip his pants
>park the car while fondling his balls
>bro is laughing because he knows it's just a joke
>start sucking his dick on this empty parking lot
>almost choke on his dick because I'm laughing so hard
>Dowan is also laughing his ass off
>he starts making train noises while yelling "BROJOB BROJOB! CHOO CHOO"
>he cums and I swallow it all like some stupid brocon
>kiss my friend and call him a siscon while laughing

Gotta love playing pranks on my bro.

>not Edmund

they take different amounts of time which is why they're different keys

Can't the time needed be based on the item type, instead of the menu?

>friend
ah shit.
Why would anyone do Edmund when they could have siggy?

bucklers of distortion don't exist user

you can wear-id armor and rings just fine, and you can wear-ID amulets once you know of or aren't worried about faith/harm.
you generally don't wear-id weapons because distort or randarts because they can have *contam or *drain

>He doesn't wear ring boxers
Dumb tablords think its all about jackhammering. THE NIMBLE DICK GETS THE ORB

>Not steamrolling through D and lair because distortion is busted

>implying *drain or *contam matters