What does Veeky Forums think of these?

What does Veeky Forums think of these?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UACCNWW5iVo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Luxury pedophile van

Get it. I have had more fun in vans than any other vehicle. They will drink gas but whatever.

Get a V8 one and pull hektik skidz and enjoy each one of the 10 miles you get per gallon.

What is the difference between the ford/gmc/chevy conversion vans? they all look exactly the same

My parents had an 80s GMC conversion van when us kids were small. It had an overtaxed 305 in it and drank gas faster than you could put gas into it. On the positive side It easy hauled a family of five and was hands down the most comfortable vehicle we ever traveled in making two 2000 mile trips in the thing.

are they really that bad on gas?

GM savanna front SA/LA suspension and typical drivetrain from GM trucks. Ford front twin I beam and mostly 2V 4.6, 5.4s, and V10s

>namefag gives its opinion

Oh yea they are huge bricks. All the aerodynamics in the world won't stop that. But If fuel isn't an issue they are great.

Savanas could be had in AWD

so which is best?

Fords are cheaper but the GM ones wont fuking kill you with their shitty suspension and numb steering.

They are nice vans but the 4.6s usually last longer than 5.4s
Also look into astro vans those are nice but not as big

I drive paratransit buses on a daily basis that are built off both. In my opinion, the facelifted Ford has the better interior overall (though that's not saying much). The Chevy has a better feeling steering wheel, and, in my opinion, a better stock radio head unit. The Vortec on the Chevy is legendary, and idles surprisingly quiet. The 6.8 on the Ford isn't bad, but it's incredibly thirsty. Both of them will cook your lower right leg if you drive long enough. For the most part, I give a slight edge to the Chevy, but it really comes down to preference. Your metrics of judgement really change when you have to drive them eight hours at a time. Provided the seat isn't broken, the AC works, and I have a radio, I'm happy.

Are they just as comfortable?

I'm thinking of getting one for my first vehicle

Its really depends the price and condition. I myself don't think there is enough of a deference in the full size vans too matter. GM hasn't done a major revision in years. Ford did the same and quit the E vans in 2015. Chrysler made them too in the B series vans but they were killed in the 90s. If you have a hard on for AWD I guess GM would be the choice, but I can't see it making much of a difference in a behemoth like the Express/Savanna vans.

Conversion vans fall into the landyacht category so anything that is true with a landyacht us also likely to be true with conversion vans.

They put up with some vehicular shenanigans and being RWD means you can drift in absolute maximum over comfy.

Just beware that they are all midengine with some form of a doghouse to cover the engine making maintenance abit trickier.

Also, they have softened suspension and steering as well, be prepared for that.

And lastly: they are all equipped with automatic transmissions with a column shifter. These transmissions are not built for speed but economy. As far as I know, there are no kits to convert full sized vans to manuals.

All that being said, they are great vehicles for long road trips and have a decent amount of carrying and towing capacity.

Pic related is my E150 van.

Why would you want a manual transmission van?

You don't. But inevitably, some muh manual fag is going to shitpost that you can't be an enthusiast with an automatic transmission.

Their autism/stupidity is sometimes astounding.

A childhood friend of mine had a high-top conversion built over a third-gen Ram van... shit was fucking dope.

There were 2 CRT televisions, back when very few vans even had one. The main one was roughly 13", mounted above the front seats, and other was tiny for the 3rd row. Compartments next to the main television held a VCR and a Nintendo 64. the N64 compartment had integrated extension cables, so there were actual N64 controller ports in the trim next to each seat.

I think it had buckets for the 2nd row and a bench 3rd row that folded down into a bed, electronically controlled of course. The interior was beige leather and fake wood.

I wonder what happened to that thing.

>These transmissions are not built for speed but economy.

Bruh. I went from Ontario to the yukon in one for those old vans, parts are common. Semi reliable, awesome for road trips. Love being able to just pull over and sleep comfy. If you like camping/traveling fucking buy it. So worth

>the N64 compartment had integrated extension cables, so there were actual N64 controller ports in the trim next to each seat.
YOU FUCKING LIE.

I also would like to see this for myself

>tfw no hektik van
it's hard to find one for cheap that isn't completely rusted out or has major issues
and the fucks that list them on craigslist hardly include anything relevant

My mom has a 351W powered econoline like in the OP. 9-12mpg.

Pretty fun to drift around in the snow though.

The drivetrains are geared for torque for towing and hauling. Yes, they are shit on gas.

Keep on searching and widen your net. I was looking down in Chicago for potential vans.

I happened on a stroke of luck that I found my van the day after my Pontiac called it quits.

Comfy. And affordable since they depreciate fast.

Depends on the area. SE Wisconsin, conversion vans are in high demand.

I can't imagine why...

>drift
don't those things flip very easily?

fuck off with that meme

Heavy frame, heavy engine, and anti-roll bars are a thing so it isn't too bad. If you have some slick wet blacktop or snow, it's a blast. The problem comes when you hit that random dry spot.

damn it
oh well whatever gas is only a 1.65 where i live it's worth it

The pinnacle of American automotive engineering.

Look for old prison transport vans. Can get nice e-250's for cheap

I wish I had some fucking pictures, but I was probably like 11 at the time.

One thing I do remember is that it was a bit awkward if you sat in the right seat in the middle row, next to the side doors- you had to plug your controller in behind you, closer to the 3rd row, because the port for that seat was placed to the rear of the doors.

Pic related from a google search, it looked similar to this. Though I remember it being integrated a bit more cleanly (or maybe the trim was just darker in color).

This guy has a sorta similar setup based on a different van: youtu.be/UACCNWW5iVo

Shut the fuck up dude