/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Cutebold edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SBpfdjpBniM
youtube.com/watch?v=1oUDvqPifFY
youtube.com/watch?v=y4FQXDSKsBI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_F4YbK1sY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1st for nothing is wrong with masterwork, fuck off autists who want 120497 different types of bone

New at DF
Where do i get that user tileset or comfyset? What size is? How do i install it if i had another tileset installed previously? (Grim fortress)

I have plans for those 120497 types of bone, thank you very much.
I'm not even kidding about having plans which involve having tons of different types of bone, though I'll probably never manage to properly execute my plans.

>installing tilesets
Copy the png or bmp file to data/art, reference the file in data/init/init.txt as windowed/fullscreen font.

Also keep mind that graphics sets are a completely different thing from tilesets.

Here it is, and it's 16x24 I'm pretty sure: Save it into df/data/art, copy the filename, open up df/data/init/init.txt and look for the grim fortress tileset lines, replace them with the comfy filename.png.

[FONT:user_tileset.png]
[FULLFONT:user_tileset.png]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:user_tileset.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:user_tileset.png]

Assuming you save it with that name, I always rename it as ComfySet.png myself.

Followup: my best scholar Shakey is no longer scholaring due to missing his arm. It must be depression.

Oh, you would need the graphics.txt file with the creatures which I don't have, but that and this could go in your df/raw/graphics and df/data/save/region#/raw/graphics folders if you use graphics too.

It's like you've never farmed mermen bones.

>nothing is wrong with masterwork

Thanks for the answer but Whats a graphic set?
Thanks! Which creatures? Where do i get the file?

Won't the more stuff added to DF just hurt the FPS even more?
Will any update ever improve FPS?

post comfy folk music

youtube.com/watch?v=SBpfdjpBniM

youtube.com/watch?v=1oUDvqPifFY

youtube.com/watch?v=y4FQXDSKsBI

youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_F4YbK1sY

It's ok. By the time Toady finishes the game we'll have CPUs powerful enough to actually be able to run DF.

That's a nice gif, but why does it stop mid way through?

>Will any update ever improve FPS?
he he he

If graphics is on then instead of a U and g and e and dorf tile you would see the little dudes in that comfygraphics.png file, but you need a graphics.txt which points the right jobs and races at the right tiles there.

>Will any update ever improve FPS?
The latest update did.

If you have a fort near fps death in an older compatible version, try loading it in 0.43.05. It will run much better. My fort went from 12 to 33 FPS. The catch? there's no dfhack yet for the latest version. ;_;

i am
a dwarf
and i'm
digging
a hole
diggy diggy
hole
digging
a hole

And here I thought the massive amounts of food I generated was dead weight.

A sandstorm?

More like a dot storm!

CAN ANYONE POST OR LINK TOP TIER DF ART?

I LOVE IT.

>POST TOP TIER DF ART
CERTAINLY

This is the nigga you need to ask for top tier df art from.

that's nice

Isn't that from a Pratchett book?

In the military interface there's a spot which says whether or not a dwarf has relevant skills when you've got them selected for adding to a squad. I just noticed that what counts as relevant skills is determined in part by what equipment is assigned to that squad spot. So if that spot is assigned a crossbow, marksdwarf counts as relevant, if that spot is assigned a pick, miner counts as relevant, etc. There's some oddness though, it seems a bit inconsistent about fighter skill counting or not, or maybe it's the indiv choice assignment which causes odd results.

Things like that really make me wish we could assign random items to random dwarves without them being in the military. Even in the military I don't think we can assign them scepters, and I'd really like to be able to have my dwarven king holding something like that.

how should I make my Jewler stations+stockpiles be efficient in gemming actual good items and not just wooden barrels and pots all the time?

Linked stockpiles, I guess. It's kind of a headache though.

Neat!

Gem EVERYTHING

>too autistic to play DF without my rapist crutch
>don't want to play old version
It was inevitable.

my dwarves cut off an ettin's dick today

You mean
>not autistic enough to play DF without your rapist crutch

also, my masterwork mussel shell helmets that were super cool in my mind turned out to be an error in judgement.

Whichever, really.

The balls, user.

See, I told you you're not autistic enough.

>mfw filthy neurotypicals hate on my gift

vanilla is just fine t b q h

open up the ini files and change stuff. it's just like the LNP except in a text file. you can switch to square graphics that come with the game like in pic related.

>LNP
stop cissuming my 3rd-party tool preferences, shitlord. I said Rapist, not LNP.

>using squares
>using the shitty VANILLA squares of all squares

The Toad speaks:

The main map work left to do for this release is the kobold site update. I'm going to take a break from that for a change of pace, though, and move over to artifact rumors and getting some artifact-associated critters running around. The spread of artifact location information needs to be a little more refined than what we currently have available, so there'll be some preliminary work on that. I'm going to start by getting the various wandering taverngoers to gather and spread site rumors, which should give us a good foundation for information transfer in the friendly human-dwarf-elf areas, mostly.

Since they aren't regular travelers, and we really need their civilizations to know about artifacts, the goblins and their demon masters will have to pick up information on the edge of the tavern ecosystem. For this time, that'll mean having their own agents running around, which should be cool. They might have to interface with shadier people in town (who'll have to be understood a little better by the game), or they might blend in themselves if their race wouldn't be out of place (kidnapped humans/elves/dwarves grown to adulthood might finally be useful for something specific). Doing this correctly involves quite a few systems that aren't in yet, and we'll either do or skip those systems based on what we think we can complete in a timely fashion. This is a good time to finally get some more nefarious tendrils out in the world, though, and we're planning on messing with it a bit.

>preferring rectangular circles

go fuck yourself

>kidnapped humans/elves/dwarves grown to adulthood might finally be useful for something specific
consider me hype.

Also, correspondingly, an (economic) reason for snatchers to exist.

oh. u->scroll->z->p->l

idk man I really like it when squares don't look like rectangles and circles don't look like ovals.

Ah, these sound like they'll be interesting, having goblin sites make scholars and shit was interesting but produced a lot of bloodshed until I removed the kill_neutral:required bit, but I really like this push to have taverns turn into information hubs of all sorts.

>preferring less optimal use of screen space
If you must use a square set like the vanilla, this one was cleaned up by Rogue Yun I think and is a much better rescale than the 16x16 vanilla.

>oh. u->scroll->z->p->l
>doing this for 80 dwarves
I'll pass.

>>preferring less optimal use of screen space
Wouldn't a more optimal use of screen space be a tileset wider than it is tall, to make use of the wide screens everyone has? that way each of the corners could be equidistant from the center.

>we are actually having this conversation
dfg everyone

My god, that central staircase is atrocious for pathfinding. Are you trying to drive yourself into FPS death? And it looks like you wanted to build a standard 3x3 but avoided it at all costs for reasons.

well it's not as though you get 80 dwarves all at once and then assign them labors. the best way to do it is ofc you've got your initial seven with starting labors, and then when a wave of migrants arrive, watch them pour into the map and push "v" on every single one that enters, check it's labor skills and then give it what you want it to have. 80 is like, five to six waves and easily manageable in chunks of 5-20.

it's true that therapist is a much better UI for labor management, but I can't see not having it being game-breaking because managing labor isn't that hard, especially with a small number like 80. You just gotta make yourself do it, user, and you won't feel these shackles around your ankles anymore.

10/10

Well my computer is handling that design on 50 z levels with 230 dwarves with pretty good FPS for whatever reason, but yes it's not efficient. The idea was the staircase in the very center is a sort of spine that I've been filling with silver sarcophogi from the top down, as a sort of burial chamber for dwarves, surrounded by central staircases on all sides that can be gated off on any level. Now that I have my map all figured out and shit I am thinking of moving my fort to a different corner and making a much more deliberate and autistic design, and yeah, gonna re-adopt the 3x3.

If you want larger than 24 pixels in any dimension on a 1920x1080 you need to go 24x36 or 24x48, the later is too extreme but the former is a nice size.

There are lots of options for smaller sets, not nearly enough for larger screens, and in adventurer mode the situation is reversed, fort mode you often want to see far more screen at once, while your actual visual range limits what you see as an adventurer, so using square sets or smaller nonsquare sets means you're looking at like: [ o ]

Instead of: [( )]

If you went with a wide/short set it would still be limited to 24 pixels across and what 16 wide? Which is even worse than square for displayed information density AND worse than 16x24 or 24x36 for maximum tilesize.

I was mostly memeing you, but I decided to try my suggestion (poorly, by scaling a random tileset).

This is atrocious.

Those screenshots look awesome.
The coolest thing I've ever managed is pic related. Well, now I feel more motivated to figure out how to get square tiles working, which I've been putting off forever.

go to your dwarf fortress folder, open data, open init, then open the text file called "init", go down to the FONT parameter and change it to

[FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]

or a different font that comes with the game in the image folder.

I need to butcher some dogs.

Well thank you for suffering in the name of science.

Or, save this file in df/data/art: and change it to use that, or if you want it cleaned up a bit on the pixelation, with the neat raving maniac style walls, there's even this.

>This is atrocious.
Well duh. There is a reason the original IBM CP437 has the aspect ratio it does. Sadly, squarefags are also missing the point, only to sate their autism for perfect symmetry.

>mcfurnace

that's a naztika

it's called a "windmill" v.v

Just accept FPS death.

Took me a second to see, what you did there, I accept it.

I accept you accepting it

I'm posting bote until toady adds boats and we can have fishing in the game.

>I'm posting X until toady adds X
In the context of DF that undertaking could usually be considered insane, and a few years ago I would have called you retarded, but I think the chances are pretty good that you only have to post bote for a few years. Which is practically nothing in DF-time.

The interesting part will be what other features will be touched and introduced in the course of adding boats. I for one am really looking forward to see harbor structures, especially piers - maybe we will even get some sort of mechanic to build in water, or build during ebb.

Creating an artificial bay as wave-breaking/defensive structure would be so cool.

Boats imply: moving multitile structures, sliding walls, raising/lowering platforms, megatrap with rotating/grinding/crushing structures, and there is little reason to expect the actual multitile moving structure release to not accompany the multitile creature release as most of the same work will need to be done for either to function anyways.

Aren't wagons technically multitile creatures

To paraphrase toady - yes, but they're a special case. Their pathing cannot be used for other multitile creatures, the performance is nowhere near adequate.

Yup, but as said, they're not a generally workable method. I had the idea of trying to alter the sizes and stacking them but it just scuttles the top ones.

They are a test case IIRC.
They rotate on one axis, which would be pretty weird on multitile creatures.

Personally, I'm enthoustiastic about explorable shipwrecks, primitive diving equipment(like diving bells) and mechanics for holding your breath. There's no guarantee that any of those will be added, but in my opinion they are a crucial part of having boats.

Of course, Toady will also have to work on making oceans more interesting. You have to encounter marine fauna far more often than you currently do. When travelling by boat, you should be able to see whales and schools of dolphins and things like that, and sea monsters should be able to ram and damage your boat(bonus points if said sea monsters are multitile). There should also be hazards like storms and maelstroms.

Of course, naval battles i also a must.

Lastly, I expect there to be a set of different (raw defined) ship types, which differ between civs. The elves (and potentially also goblins) should use primitive boats, like war canoes and viking ships while humans and dwarves should have access to late medieval and early modern ships, like caravels and galleons.

>mechanics for holding your breath.
That will be added for sure. Improved swimming (holding breath, currents, etc.) is a future goal.

Linux dev branch of dfhack seems to compile properly, make sure you set it to build the 64 bit version though.

Missing various offsets still, but there is progress!

pls change tileset or stop posting

God, Toady's got his work cut out for him.

Missing the point sugar, I'm tilesetanon, but more importantly: dfhack is somewhat sorta working!

This thing is in my caverns right now
Will post again when it's dead and tell a story

Is there a square verdion of this?

Sadly not. It seems comfyanon has a malfunctioning braincase.

I dont wanna play rectangle fortress. Hope he does a square version soon.

other user, but good luck with your project, feel free to talk about it if you want

>webs
>Will post again when it's dead
>implying

>FB in the shape of an elephant
>an actual giant elephant would be 4x bigger

>toady still hasn't had a child yet

Who will continue his legacy?

The dwarves, aka us
God forbid Toadys death, Zach would probably collaborate with the top notch programmers of the forums to achieve his brother and his' dream

>white people showing emotion
What?
Is this acting?

No, that was taken in a part of America with minimum water fluoridation.