Does there exist a car that is under $5,000, manual transmission, >92HP...

Does there exist a car that is under $5,000, manual transmission, >92HP, and gets AT LEAST 40mpg like my 94 Civic VX does?

I like this car but it is slow. Very fucking slow.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vfQEILqs6AY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mr2
If you want speed you arent going to get 40mpg

Only thing I can think of is a Mazda 3

I don't need 0-60 in 4 seconds, but I would like something a little better than 20s 0-60 and can go over 80mph without hitting the red in the tach.

Anything over 24HP is a meme. The human body can't tell the difference between 24HP and 200. The reason they sell cars with more than 24HP is to sell people a gimmick

Buy an e30 318is, not 40mpg, but maybe 30 highway. It is really fun though, and has zip for an N/A 4 cylinder

I'm not willing to trade speed for gas efficiency.

1st Gen insight

A used cobalt XFE maybe.

Or a diesel Renault econobox.

Honestly with those kinds of standards i'm not sure why you even care for a car that can go faster. Seriously Europoor just accept the slow life like the rest of your countrymen.

An electric car.

Ford Focus would probably work too.

here you can get a mondeo 2.2 tdci for less than £2500
>153 bhp
>46 mpg

I'm American. I just don't like paying for gas so often.

I can't afford an electric car.

>cheap electric car
enjoy your 100 miles of range on lead acid batteries

geo metro/suzuki swift

youtube.com/watch?v=vfQEILqs6AY

Why not buy a fast $3000 car and spend the extra $2k on the difference in gas?

Because I don't want to do that. If no car exists that meets my standards then I'll spend 5,000 renovating the car I currently have. Putting in an air conditioner, modifying newer seats for it, rewiring it, etc.

That sounds like a terrible idea.

>miata
>E34
>E36
>E46
>E39
oh wait
>>>>>>gas mileage
this is a board for automotive enthusiasts, not poorfags whose primary concern is spending as little money as possible on the painful necessity of driving a car
sell your car and buy a bus pass you fucking fag

What about Hellfat? 707hp.

My gf bought a 2006 Ford Focus for ~$5k.
It usually gets 6-7L/100km (bit less than 40mpg for the burgers), but I don't drive it gently. It's not fast, but it's manual and pretty fun to drive. Around 10 seconds 0-100.

Why? Electric cars fulfill the efficiency and horsepower requirements but nothing else. Faster cars fulfill the horsepower and cost requirements but nothing else.

I want a car that does exactly what I want. Otherwise I'll spend the money on my current car.

Fuck off and kill yourself retard.

Modifying your car will cost more than $5k and will always be a headache.
Have fun with that.

Your fuel economy requirement is a contrivance that you're using to be needlessly picky about cars. If you want to save money you can buy a cheaper car.

Then again if you want to save money you won't dump $5k into a 22y/o base model civic. So you're either baiting or retarded.

Less of a headache than getting gas 3 times a week.

>Needlessly picky
Stopped reading here. If your only contribution to the thread is "stop caring about things I don't care about!" then fuck off and get brain cancer.

ride the bus

maybe if you stopped spewing shit all over the thread and started explaining why you want good fuel economy we might get somewhere.

>Explained why you want good fuel economy
Because there's no reason to not sink money into my current car if there is no car available that is better in every respect.

Obviously because he commutes 1500 miles to a job making close to minimum wage.

>Getting fuel 3 times a week
My Commodore gets 10L/100km but still makes it 600km+ on one tank. I doubt you're doing that much driving. And if you are, then you should be able to afford the fuel.

Not willing to downgrade on fuel efficiency.

fucking LOL

Ninja 300 lad, although I doubt you'll need/want a bike with more than 90hp if you've never owned one before

>asks for advice
>has ridiculous standards
>so hard headed he shuts down any serious response

Jesus Christ dude, I think a flying carpet fits your criteria.

Seriously, like another user itt suggested, a cobalt xfe is literally the only thing that checks all your boxes without being more than 5 grand

Eat shit and die...?

What this guy said.

improved fuel economy is not better. Its a number, just like horsepower or torque, and its a means to an end. You can do two things with it: save money or stop less frequently. If you want to save money, buy a cheaper car. If you want to stop less frequently, get a car with a bigger tank. If you want both, buy a cheap car with a big tank.

>Ridiculous standards
Besides the 92HP thing my civic hits all of them and cost me $1500 with 80k miles. They clearly aren't ridiculous; the only one autists are screaming about is the gas mileage because muh 90s sports cars get 15mpg.

No one has given a serious suggestion.

Spend the 5k putting a large turbo charger on your car.

>Large turbo means wont keep in till higher rpm
>Low rpm will net you the 40+ mpg
>high rpm will get you places fast.

>Improved fuel economy is not better
Stopped reading here. Fuck off out of this thread.

These aren't serious suggestions? Are you serious?
A cobalt xfe will get 40mpg, it only comes with a manual, and i believe it has 140horsepower. Stop being so hard headed and listen to what people are trying to tell you dude.

By the way, you'd be right about your standards not being ridiculous if you werent poor and were able to afford a hybrid. Having only 5 grand to spend really limits what you can buy.

>it's 2016
>the Civic VX is still dominating EcoModder charts for non hybrids

Shit is crazy, man. The early 2000's Honda Insight is filling 8 out of 10 positions for hybrids, too.

My JTD Fiat was 4k (150hp) and i get 6l/100km (around 45mpg). Any JTD or TDI car would be very similar.

>Mazda 3
>MR2
Not under 5k
>e30 318is
Not 40mpg by poster's own admission
>Why not do something completely different
Because I don't want to.
>Ninja 300
Don't want a bike.

Cobalt XFE works I guess but I doubt I'll find one.

So yes, all but one of them are not serious suggestions.

Dude get a pickup truck. Nobody cares about mpgs.

Fuck off and kill yourself.
Don't know how many times I have to keep saying this.

one of the early saturn coupes. I don't know what its called because i'm happy with 230hp, 30mph, 4 doors, and the comfiest interior of all time.

1991-96(or so) sc2.

and i meant 30mpg, not 30pmh

Im not going to explain to you what a suggestion is because clearly you wont listen.

Why did you come here for advice if you're just going to say no to everything? What kind of information did you expect to get? You're a real stubborn guy, user. Has anyone ever told you that?

>I doubt you'll need/want a bike with more than 90hp if you've never owned one before
Lol 250/300 fags

how about you get a 1.9 jtdm16v alfa romeo 147?

>I just want decent fuel economy
>Sigificantly less than 40mpg still isn'
t acceptable

OP is deliberately avoiding serious suggestions like and bait thread

>Why did you come here if you're not going to listen to advice
Why did you post in this thread if you're only going to post cars that don't meet the clearly defined requirements?

>Yuro cars
Why the fuck would I care about that?

Because you're a fucking faggot. I suggested a cobalt and i quoted all the other post with ideas from other anons. Go fuck yourself you delusional, poor retard.

because they fit the requirements as stated by you in your OP. now fuck off.

I'm not yuropean so it's useless to me. Thought that was obvious when I was using mpg and gas instead of L/100km and petrol.

Stay mad lmao.

Really you've got the best car for your conditions right now. Putting $5k into it is retarded though. You'll never get that money back out, and if you do performance mods you'll lose that dank mpg.

Stage 2 1.9l TDI Golf/Jetta?

This guy's on the money. My MkIV Jetta TDI is stupid fuel efficient. Slow as balls though, but it loves being revved so I guess sounding fast ees gud enuff?

/g/ pls

spend $3,000 on a new honda grom
$200 or so on your motorcycle safety course
and then set aside $1000-1500 for good quality safety gear and a helmet camera.

get 70 max speed unless you're a fat fuck in which case you'll only go 55-60

40mpg is hard to do.
There are a handleful of new cars that get it.
Mazda 3 is one.
Ford Fiesta with the 1.0 turbo
Maybe the HE version of honda civic
Most cars like nissan,kia, ford, gm top out at high 30's today.

2002 TDI, Put a pod filter on it to go from 90 to 92.

>I'm American. I just don't like paying for gas so often.
I buy $20 in gas a week and I work minimum wage
Stop pretending you can't afford gas

>You'll never get that money back out
Does that matter if I intend on running the car into the ground? I don't ever plan on selling it.

first gen toyota yaris. rated at lower mpgs than it gets. drove mine and shifted at 3k and got 45 mpg

>live somewhere that a car is useful
>gas is too expensive

Pick one. Confirmed for bait or not actually from the States. Gas is only expensive in cities.

Where did I say I was poor?
I simply DON'T LIKE getting gas multiple times a week. It's boring and wastes my time.

Diesel golf.

>poorfags

My truck epa rating:
>11 city
>11 hwy

For the record, I drove from Texas to california-1450 miles.
Average at the end of the trip, freeway doing 65mph, no load, 9.4 mpg. ( on 33's)
Must suck to actually care about fuel mileage instead of much power or much payload.

BTW, piss off 32mpg guy with the 8 gallon tank.
I have a 33 gallon tank and a full gas can in the back if I get screwed- and I'm smart enough to pull into the gas station.

>Being proud of paying $80 to cover less distance than someone with an 8 gallon tank and 40mpg covers for less than $20
Okay...?

Chevy cruze

Get a load of this faggot.

>Implying it's all about money.
A 40mpg econobox can't tow or carry shit either. Nor is it fun. A vee ate truck can do all that.

I have a VEE ATE town car and it gets 25 mpg highway, which isn't bad at all. It also has enough power to tow a good bit with a transmission cooler.

Long story short, git gud poor fag.

Look for anything with a 4age like a Geo Storm, AE92 Corolla, you could even snag some older VWs with a 16V GTI engine.

They won't hit 40MPGs, but they'll be close, and have some more fun to give you. They will still be slow, but a lot more fun in the corners.

No. But where will your 5k go other than performance mods? Extra fuel tanks strapped to the roof?

>1st gen Honda Insight
>hf crx of both gens
>geo metro
(Metro and hf crx might have around 77-95hp)

My focus does that, aside from price. 140HP, 40MPG city and 50 highway, and it's a manual.
Plus, modern stereo, very good sound, handles well, goes pretty well for a large hatchback, and it's new, so it's reliable.

> $
You can't find one. American car market won't get anything that good, because they won't buy it.
If you want a good, economical car, maybe you should consider moving to europe?
> American
Oh, wait. We don't want your uneducated fat ass.

Bringing the rest of the car up to current standards. Things like an air conditioner, better seats, cruise control, etc.

Just buy a fucking newer car.

No one in this thread has suggested a newer car that meets my requirements.

In fact, based on this: , it seems like there is no newer car that meets my requirements, so the only choice I have is to renovate the one I currently have.

A/C will bring down fuel economy, up to 25% sometimes.

You will not be able to modify your car in such a way without ruining it.

fucking turbo charge it

Mk4 VW Golf TDI with a chip tune
>100 ish hp
>$4-5K including chiptune
>45+
>with regular maintenance it will last over 400K miles
>kraut space magic

4 cylinder fiero

Mk4 golfs are cheap and came with 130hp or 150hp PD engines that will happily give you 50+ MPGs all day long, pass 140mph without a sweat. If you can live with the V8 style rev limit.

SAAB 9-3 SS Aero is close.
Around 37MPG and 250HP/380Nm with stage 1

Welcome to being an adult. Ninety percent of your activities are boring and waste your time.

It's time to grow up.

This. Could possibly even snag a Mk v

Define ruin.

Civic hatch with the d16y with the economy VTEC
and you could just about make it cruising at 110-120km/h and stock tyres
although since you already have a civc it may not be in your interest
good luck