/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

> Play Latest Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

> Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ (embed)

> AGDG Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

humblebundle.com/clickteam-fusion-bundle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher-order_function
youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770425890
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

JUST

Is this some attention whore thing

It worked

what the fuck is this

>Starting dev
>Half way through
>Crunch time

Side stepping animation, I think it'll do for a first pass

0 - make game
1-9 take a break

You need to go stand in front of a mirror and side step a bunch times.
Pay extra close attention to how you move your weight when you do.

>he's making a 2D sidescrolling platformer with pixel art and some kind of retarded gimmick

How's it feel being the shittiest kind of gamedev and knowing that literally no one will give two fucks about your game? I'll bet all your characters' legs are 1 pixel wide.

I posted this in the last thread but valve makes you pay a 25k licensing fee to havok if you use the source engine for any $ game.

Jesus christ

Reminder that if you cannot sketch out the PV diagram of a variety of engines then you need to review your thermo

Almost every aspect of it is quite awful, why would you expect otherwise from the pricing model

got your moms dildo right here

Lazy

cause it can run on a fucking toaster and that's appealing to me

welp

dry bones

what engine senpai

Anybody got any opinion on gameplay3d?
How does it compare to godot or urho3d?

Yeah I need to fix the left leg (from the viewer) so that it goes behind the other one before touching the ground, that'll make everything smoother.

C++ with SFML

X M A C R O S
M
A
C
R
O
S

>he's not making a game yet still insists on coming here
How does it feel being human garbage?

I'd suggest to let the explosions play and have a dark screen overlay with the text "game over" as you see your character lie down or something when you die. It's better than fading the screen to black and freezing everything. Save the black fading screen for actions such as entering doors or quitting the game

>Devving new enemies
>Constantly worried that they're too similar to other enemies in the game

My creativity is wearing thin after 5/8 levels.

why is there a possibility to connect windows sdk to gamemaker studio? i can compile my games without it so what's the reason of having this option?

yyc games are faster than interpreter ones
also last time i checked yoyogames fucked something up and when you create a standalone exe rather than testing it always creates a game with fast vertex buffer on, which can often result in fucking hot garbage on the screen when you turn it on, rendering the option effectively useless until they release a fix

>$25,000 for the physics engine

what genre is your game?

Bullet hell

I was planning to do this sooner or later, although the sheer amount of death animations I will need is overwhelming. I also need to write some juicy shader for the game over sequence.

i won't let you discourage me.

It's not even that good of an engine either.

How can a character trigger a mechanism in a way which isn't a button or lever?

>tfw dropped my last game and can't think of anything new to work on
help I don't want to be a nodev

Explosions

Talk to a pink haired girl with a nose ring and say the word "rape", you'll trigger her alright.

>Want to make a game about norse mythology cus it's cool
>But it's so fucking complicated and names like Sveigðir don't help either.

tell me if it's 3d or 2d and i'll help you

Undrop your game.

Which I now use to hook function pointers to the buttons of my Load Game menu.

Hi there I'm an award winning idea guy who has posted over 300 ideas on boards such as this. I would love to utilize your skills to bring my mental creations to life.

What's your email address?

Let's do this
[email protected]

3D, though I guess I can also do 2.5D.

Nah, I never meant it to be a long term project.

[email protected]

evens I dev all night
odds I drink all night

>blaziken is a 21 year old man now

DO IT

A tower defense where towers stay throughout the whole game.
No idea how you're gonna do it, but go for it.

I give up.

I don't even like Asiatic clams

I got my secondary coloredText buffer working, the stress tests showed that OBS fucks up recording it before any issues showed in the program. If any issues show up in the program.. Right now its performing much better than expected.

Note the program doesn't ever go blank, I guess the colors are changing so fast in the stress that obs shits itself.

So it's a higher-order macro?

Excellent! For our first game I was thinking something along the lines of the Legend of Zelda...but, wait for it....IN SPACE! It would have adaptive enemy AI which learns your techniques and creates combat strategies to defeat you. It also would have state of the art graphics. Like Battlefield 1 but cranked up to 11! The game would feature a space station as a central hub which functions as an MMO, allowing you to trade and chat with other players before heading off to defeat the main villain which I see as a combination of Goku and Dr. Who!

So, what do you say? Are you ready to make a billion dollars?!

nevermind, good luck!

Not sure what that means, but LISTOFSAVES just defines the number of saves possible.

nigga, you spending way too much fucking with obs. just set it to display capture and be done with it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher-order_function

youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws

I'm joking but some people really talk like this when I tell them I'm learning game-dev

zen gardens when

>tfw you release your game even though it's held together by glue

>tfw you find a free weapon trail asset that's easy to use and makes even your garbage amateur hour animations look cool

now THAT's a pepe

Why are mobile games so comfy. Now I want to make one, but I'd have to downsize all my assets so that it doesn't run like garbage.

I've been talking about it but I just started working this shit

The screen doesn't look as good as I thought it would so I have to redo it

Is this a viral attempt or something.

How to light a nighttime scene?

Moonlight, actual lights?

is it ok?
this is my first time doing this

It looks fine but it would look better if the text got warped at the edges of the screen but don't you need custom shaders for that kind of effect? You'd have to write your own in GML or borrow the code from someone else's game.

NODEVS NEED NOT APPLY

No, I just wiped my phone and decided to give some mobile games a shot, and it's just hilarious. Thought I'd share. I'm already making a skinner box on Gamemaker anyway, so I'm starting to wonder if I should make a mobile port of the demo just to test things out.

depends on your standards

extremely low

Farther than I've gotten on an actual game.

Good thing writing shaders is just regular programming and not voodoo like most retards make it out to be.

I want to try and do that but right now it's way above my skill range. I have zero shader experience right now

so wait, lewd jam doesn't say anything about the /agdg/ community.

is this an open jam now?

It always was, AGDG has mixed feelings about lewd

You need like 10 years of experience to write a decent shader on your own without copy-pasting someone else's work.

I could tell a programmer he doesn't need an artist because it's just regular art, not magic, but it won't change the fact he'd still need 10 years of experience to draw something decent.

>comparing writing a shader to drawing

What are you using?
What do you mean by a buffer?
Why is your text still isn't aligned?

Both are skill-based attributes. And to gain skill in anything you need practice + talent.

- touchscreen/touchpad
- pressure sensitive pad on the floor
- holding something up to a sensor (like a card with an RF chip in it)
- camera/motion sensor
- key/keycard
- combination (lock)
- biometric scanner

If you already know how to program, shaders are just programming in a different language with more restrictions. Writing a shader to simply curve close to the edges of a render is easy as fuck with some basic trig.

And even if the ass-pull figure of 10 years to be a good artist was true, there's no reason that it would also apply to writing shaders. Most of the hard part of shaders is due to how shaders are used for lighting, and optimizing/approximating lighting is hard (though the research generally is well ahead of what is computationally feasible, so that's not an issue).

oh, and a switch

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770425890

They were trees all along???

how do I into sprite animations
why do spriters draw heads in a 3/4 profile view while their character does anything

why not just full profile
is there a reason for this?

Almost every time I try a mobile game I end up figuratively burning my hands. I don't understand how people can stand using apps that run the processor hot as fusion reactor and drain battery like a short circuit.

I mean, I kind of understand how the apps end up like that. I guess you just make whatever in Unity and hit "export" and publish the 500megs of trash it produces.
Not that I could do any better...

What engine do I use if I'm a newcomer?

Where are these 12 year old Russians getting the money for Greenlight from?

>play a decent looking mobile game
>hey this is pretty good
>phone starts to get warm
>hands get sweaty
>phone screens don't work with sweaty hands
Hmm...

>Writing a shader to simply curve close to the edges of a render is easy as fuck with some basic trig.
Drawing a decent animation that curves the text on the screen is easy as hell with some basic keyframes.

Skill = Talent(Practice)

Where Talent is the multiplier, and Practice is (Time + Effort). It can be applied to any skill, including drawing or programming shaders.

Because a 2D platformer is like sitting in the theater. The actors always have to show their faces to the audience, even if it's not that life like or logical, otherwise their expressions wouldn't be readable.

Why are you still using this utterly unfounded analogy?