/domg/ - Dominions Genera

My name is Barack Obama and I approve this bad game

Previous election Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Do bully Elves

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Latus_4_the_Early_Era_Meme_War
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=i_EKWIPT_mai_heacy_crosboe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>No calcium-friendly presidential candidate

skelly get ye gone

Asking again in this thread since that one died.

Is there a way to turn one of your commanders into a regular unit? I know you can do it to enemy commanders with different variations of enslave mind, control, etc., but can I do something of like it to one of my own?

I'm asking because of this unit.

I believe the only way to get commanders as units without some enslave mind shenanigans is to wish for them

Don't think so, but even then you can only recruit one of those per turn per fort/province. Not to mention I'm not sure why you would want to, why not use them as commanders? In the end they work like units with the added benefit of being able to command and be equipped with stuff. I don't see why making them into units would change much, you'd still have to recruit them as commanders so you'd get the same amount.

On a related note, the map for ScrubWarriors looks really good compared to just about any randomgen map I've seen so far, is it some map generator mod or setting?

>Not to mention I'm not sure why you would want to, why not use them as commanders?

Because the Standard bonus doesn't apply if the unit isn't within the squad. Commanding units can't give a standard bonus to units they command apparently, pic related. This particular unit has Standard 10, that's insane and I wanted to see if I could add 1 or 2 of them into my squads to make my armies pretty much unbreakable.

The mod maker probably just fucked up. Leaders use inspiration to give morale bonuses, not standard.

Either way +10 morale is insane, though.

That sounds like Nationgen description

Is mechanical militia worth it?

Not really. It can help if you're being raided a lot though.

Actually, I don't think the mod author fucked up, I think he did it purposely to taunt players, or maybe he intended to add a spell that could do just that, turn commanders into regular units, but didn't get around to it. It's an interesting idea.

>On a related note, the map for ScrubWarriors looks really good compared to just about any randomgen map I've seen so far, is it some map generator mod or setting?

He might have just rolled multiple random maps and picked the best one.

I believe Standard functioned in Dom3 like a reverse Fear, so 10 would mean it had a range of 10, not a morale bonus of 10. The mod is out of date.

>get S4 pretender
>pay gold to your neighbour with S4
>walk him into an enemy 1PD province so your neighbour mind enslaves it
>he walks it back into a 1PD province of yours leaded by a low hp (better if mindless) commander so you mind enslave him back and his commander routs (scripted to rout)
You have him as a unit then. You can even pay the enemy with standart guys instead of gold. But be sure he doesnt nigger your guys and run with them.

Olathe Atlantis, are you here?

Yeah, who is this?

You know who ;-)

The one that calls.

The guy who got your message last turn and wants to secretly collude with you.

Can you get in Steam chat?

Mom?

Yes.

If the host of mythologicalmyscegenation is here, can they make an extension? I sent my turn in but the mail server is fucked.

Ground 50, 100, 20, 255
Sea 20, 30, 110, 200
Deep Sea 0, 0, 81, 200
Coast 200, 230, 230, 200
Border 100, 200, 20, 100
Sea Border 48, 144, 240, 100
Border width

>when you get spooked by your won spooks
I know lemurian chaff was bad but I wish they could have pulled a little more weight.

I send messages to a lot of people.

Just get in the chat, you nerd.

I promise I'm not Malakal.

Kurgi targeting that horrormarked pretender in 147 this turn, get in Steam chat.

>admin never fucking shills his own game

Fucking get in here faggots:
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Latus_4_the_Early_Era_Meme_War

t. Malakal

>tfw didn't get a message

This game is never starting, admin is ded.

Interest Poll -
LA Game with resources set to 150%, research set to either "Hard" or "Very Hard," summod (so bat foreign rec stuff is StR), and gryphons nerfed to be borderline unusable (something like 300 gold with Standard +1/2)

I'd be up for it if I could be Marignon. I've been meaning to give them a try in mp.

Finally

Jomon could be useful!

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=i_EKWIPT_mai_heacy_crosboe

Okay, game is sort of up. I will be editing summod to make the gryphons bad and then reuploading it, so 0.68 is a placeholder. Map is also subject to change.

I'd figure those settings would make Jomon worse, not better.

Hard research means longer until you can make full use of your diverse path set, and longer until you get to arrow fend to stop crossbows murdering your troops.

Resources aren't more of a concern for Jomon than they are for other LA nations, either.

Research is still on standard.

Thanks, set to Difficult

I would join but I literally have 6 custom versions of summod and I'll be damned if I'm gonna bother to download another one.

Also, since I forgot to do this earlier, set HoF to 15 and turned score graphs off

Well, Summod already changes Zhayedan so I can't make the gryphon nerf its own mod and if I don't then Ragha will be pretty stupid given the game settings.

Ragha is already heavily nerfed in Summod.

You could just ban Ragha.

Unfortunately, Ragha's nerfs don't change the fact that at 150% resources and Difficult research, gryphons can kinda just own anyone without any particular finesse on the part of Ragha's player

Unless summod directly changes gryphon cost, you can still use a separate mod on it without a conflict.

Wouldn't it be neat to see cold Ragha or temp-neutral Ragha that has a strat other than spam gryphons?
It'd still require folks to download the same number of additional mods as putting the change in with the existing gryphon changes.

doesn't it?

>Wouldn't it be neat to see cold Ragha or temp-neutral Ragha that has a strat other than spam gryphons?
Sure, but that doesn't mean it needs to happen in your game specifically.

Both of those are equally viable choices in other games (IIRC, cold-ragha has actually been played once or twice).

Well, they're less viable than gryphon-based strats, so you're not likely to see them without a gryphon nerf unless someone feels like being different.

I played Cold Ragha a while back. It's not terrible, but it's still pretty lame compared to Heat Ragha.

Llama seems to be busy shitting itself again. I sent my pretender but it doesn't seem to be accepting it.

Do you mean 'less broken'?

Definitely less broken. Outside of novelty value, there's really no point to play Ragha with cold scales unless the heat side is nerfed. Especially considering that with some Wolven Winter or clever dominion management, you still get limited access to cold mages for diversity's sake.

Luckily for you, I ahve been getting interest in playing neutral or cold ragha since some time ago. I'm testing the last stuff and will probably join. If i do, I can swear I wont spam gryphons because I wont be able to do it.

So, Neutral or Cold? Neutral seems cooler because it fits the idea of the nation (having both of the mages, but not being able to get always the same mages and having to recruit sometimes a different one).

I can even cold1 so I have cold's great mages and some of heat's mages to bloodhunt.

Any advice about this?

I'm a trusting man; you can have your 125 gold not-spammable gryphons

and if you're lying, you'll be set AI

The good thing about neutral Heat, is that I will have heat 1 at the start of the game and will able to get some gryphons to expand, while getting mages when it gets to turn 7-8

I'd go with either Cold 1 so you'll still be able to get heat mages relatively easy but you can get cold mages without trouble most of the year, or Cold 3 so you can get cold mages all the time, but you'll need to be a bit more hands-on to get heat mages.

Neutral Ragha is kind of a trap IMO, since your best mages on either side aren't recruitable in neutral temperature, so you're locked out of the good stuff for the majority of the year.

My favourite Ragha meme is:
>dual kingdom
>never played as dual
You just get heat stuff and one or two cold mages for paths. Illwinter could have worked more on this concept of "dual".

>Neutral Ragha is kind of a trap IMO, since your best mages on either side aren't recruitable in neutral temperature, so you're locked out of the good stuff for the majority of the year.
Thisx7. Having gryphons at the start sounds good, but shit mage production for literally half the year (spring/fall 6/12 turns) is awful.

Normally I'd say Heat 1 since you can go gryphons until winter, but that's still heat ragha with just less all-fire

I think I'll go cold1 and test expanding without gryphons.
Thanks a lot, guys.

I'll maybe send a placeholder pretender and test how good I can do with that build. About it, any bless? I suppose I will need full scales, but getting a bless for cold sacreds could still be viable.

Iceclad Zhayedan are overshadowed by the gryphons, but they're still 17 base prot flying sacreds.

The thing is that they're temp dependent. In Cold 3, they have 23 (!!!) prot, but in Heat 3 they have 11 (???) prot

Okay, so if I try to use them, Cold3 is a must. But then I will never be able to get blood mages at all unless I have a Heat3 neighbour or get a F3A1 god (F3 in summod).

Rainbow god then? Mono W9 bless? N9? B9D3 for bless and vampires? I have no clue, sorry. Thanks for the help.

I don't think Iceclads are worth a heavy bless, but a rainbow or semi-rainbow with a few minor blesses mixed in could work fine. For example, a minor FB bless will make the charge on your sacreds that much better without being overly expensive.

Yeah, if you go for a cold-sacred strat, you're basically limited to fighting neighbors that took Cold 3 as well, which is kinda shit.

How shitty is this? Chaos power sounds awful having order 3, so I'm open to better ideas.
Also don't need F5 and B5 and could go F4 B4 instead, but "0 remaining points" is my fetish.

I don't know if the caelum summons make D5 not necessary, and not sure what paths do I need to get them (since there are a lot and some of them could summon others of them).

>Arco's philosophers are supposed to be a defining national trait
>literally no reason to recruit them past turn 4 even with Sloth 3

But that's only early game, right? Or am I going to depend on cold sacreds forever?

Maybe if they had automatic communion slave like Pythium's Communicants?

You don't need to use the cold sacreds at all ever. If you're running cold scales and a bless, though, presumably you are planning on using them which runs into that problem

That or just make 'em rec anywhere with lab or something. Why'd they bother giving an unit that's literally supposed to be a labrat to a nation that already has an unit with Adept Researcher and a shitton more magical utility for just 55 gold more? The fact that they're also cap-only is really just pissing on the corpse.

>Chaos power sounds awful having order 3, so I'm open to better ideas
That doesn't matter very much. If you're using him as a fighter at all it's phoenix pyre/soul vortex thing that doesn't care about hitting things.

Animate Skeleton, Animate Dead, Raise Skeletons, etc. all say that they require undead leadership for the newly risen undead to not go away at the end of the battle, but my pretender (who is casting the spells) has plenty of undead leadership, and theres even a mound king in the army with him, so what exactly am I missing here? They never stay beyond the duration of the battle.

Those are temporary summons. If you want them to hang around permanently you need to cast one of the crappy rituals (or use a priest to raise the dead, for a few lucky nations)

They alawys go away at the end of the battle. The undead leadership is just to make them stay until the end, because they just start falling apart otherwise.

Those are battlefield spells, what they mean by "they will fall apart if left without leadership" is that should your commander who summoned them (or all your commanders with undead leadership) on the battlefield die, then they will stop fighting and start losing HP very quickly until they are dead. They won't stick around after the battle. If you want that, you need to use rituals or play a nation that can freespawn undead, like C'tis.

>wanted a low diplo game
>somebody starts diplo to get you attacked
>you respond
>diplo arms race ensues.
>game is being decided as much by diplo as by gameplay now.

Kill me.

Can somebody explain why Dis carry a horse between their thighs while flying around and fighting people?

>C'tis
LA C'tis has special reanimations and can summon national undead reanimators, but they still have reanimation only on their undead priests, like most other nations. They also don't freespawn any.

>ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ ᵃᶜᶜᵒᵘᶰᵗ
It's a magic flying horse.

I've always used the term "freespawn" to mean anything that doesn't directly cost money or gems to make. Is that wrong?

When there exists freespawn that comes automatically and stuff that you need units to actively reanimate to produce, yes

Yes. Freespawn is Ermor/Asphodel/Lemuria/(Ys?) getting free units in provinces they control in their dominion.

You could call Pangaea's maenads freespawn too, but that's stretching it a little.

Ys swans are like marv pigs in that they're domsummon, but since no one uses that term both are pretty commonly called freespawn too, as are Maenads.

Uh, could you rephrase that, it's kind of a jumbled mess that I can't quite fully understand.

Then what do you call the boars you get from the Great Boars of Carnutes or the different variations of "summon ally" abilities certain units have, like the Wolfherd and his wolves? Are these not technically freespawn as well? They are free to spawn after all.

There exists stuff that is freespawn. These things are different from things that are reanimated, because they do not require you to hire/summon reanimators and then have them reanimate. Domsummon stuff like (and LA Ulm's vamps) is closer to freespawn because the commanders can do other stuff, but still requires an investment.

Vampire Lords / Wolfherds / etc use the summon ally ability, which is like reanimation in that it's an active use of the commander.

Sorry sorry I stopped shilling because I had some things come up, plus I only try to shill it twice a thread.

I've been working on the (fixed) blood plane version of the map, and I was wondering if I could get someone with more map editing experience to help. Even if I change the name in the editor or change the name by manually renaming the .tga and .map files it will always just make it say (Latus.) which isn't acceptable because I want people to play in Latus 3 and Latus 4 at the same time. If someone could take a stab at this it would be greatly appreciated.

But that's the thing, you're not directly paying for the units you get with reanimation/summon ally. You're paying for the commander, and sure if you want to consider time a resource then you could say that those units that you spawn cost you turns of use of said commander, but there is no direct cost in tangible resources (gold and gems) to create them. They are free to spawn, whether you have resources or not, thus freespawn.

And if you want to take indirect costs into account, is Ermor spreading his dominion and crippling his income not a cost of getting the freespawn he will from those provinces?

The thing is that there exists a freespawn mechanic already and using the same word to describe reanimation makes it harder to refer to this. Let's say you're playing asphodel and want to talk about scales. Your freespawn are effected by your scales, but your reanimation is not. If you use the word 'freespawn' to refer to both, you can't make this distinction. Similarly, when you're playing Ermor and are going for a bless based strat, you need to be concerned about your dom. Lowered dom lets you spend more on your bless and scales (since tribless can't afford Luck3/Magic3), but it also means less freespawn. If you want to make the tradeoff of having less freespawn because you'll be relying on reanimated lictors, you once again need to identify what you're talking about - reanimated sacreds v freespawn. It's useful to have this distinction.

Yep.

It might be easier to break it down by the mod commands. There's the traditional freespawn caused by just having dominion in a province, there's domsummon which caused a commander to spawn units automatically when they spend time in their dominion, there's reanimation, and there's stuff like makemonster/summon which lets you order a commander to summon units for free.

Why would you have Heat 1 with neutral temp? First turn's Early Spring, not Early Summer.

True, my bad.

So llamaserver's still not taking pretenders, huh

Jomon, the turn was sent out 31 hours ago. The last player who isn't you submitted their turn 17 hours ago, with 10 hours left. I know llamaserver is acting up, but we are nominally on a 24 hour cycle, so please submit your turn when possible. I don't want to wait another 26 hours.

Any EA non-summod game open?

Got bit by the Lanka bug?

>non-Summod
Haram

What's the Lanka bug?

What bug?

Maybe he did but it's not registered yet since Llama is acting crazy