/org/ - off road general

Off Road General.

Anyone going wheeling soon? If so, which trail? Any videos from said trail?

This is where im going pretty soon

youtube.com/watch?v=weDLftZecK8

youtube.com/watch?v=D_07nLkrvIg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-Z5puuE9r0U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

moar

youtube.com/watch?v=-Z5puuE9r0U

is this some sort of race?

Not really a trail, but I took my 6x6 through a rough and muddy future road. It was a couple miles of mud and dirt, only traverse-able by large-wheeled vehicles like dump trucks, bulldozers, etc.

Hey /org/ I want to convert my Tacoma Prerunner into a 4x4. Is that a good idea or am I way in over my head?

I wish I was going, just to spectate. One of my mates is going with his LC, but I gotta work

Just sell it and get a 4x4.
Prerunner does fine offroad with the locker though

bump

no, just people having fun on trails in the woods

The locker does fine, yeah, but I'm also pretty limited as far as climbing goes.

I've heard that the parts bolt on directly so long as I have the right parts from like a donor truck

Looks comfy

Darwin Australia

well...only got my zuk...but i love it.

What would you gents do to a 2005 outback to make it better at offroading?

>inb4 new car

Something like this

I live in Lake Tahoe, Nevada side. I just got everything ready to run the Rubicon this weekend. Should be a good time. Anyone else ever run the Rubicon?

Rig: 2001 Cherokee limited. 92,000
Dana 44
Dana 60
Arb air lockers front & rear
5.13 yukon gears
Yukon axle shafts
Warn 8 lug outers
Chevy springs/bilsteins rear
Rubicon Express 7.5 coils/bilsteins front
Rock sliders
Arb bumpers
Warn 12000 lb winch
37" Toyo's

Toyota Tercel drivetrain+solid front and rear axle swap

thanks for making this thread op.
ill be wheeling this weekend. going to head up to big levels in va. i have friday off so im going to try to disappear into the woods as far as i can all weekend.
>tfw rtt isnt here yet

that is a fucking good looking truck man!

>obligatory sell it and buy something better
honestly though really depends on what you plan on doing. if youw ant to take offroading seriously you should get something body on frame with a transfer case. if you want to do basic forests roads then just slap some larger all terrains on it and call it a day

What's it like over at Big Levels?
I am just north of Cville with a 6x6, do you think it would fit on the trail?

>implying that's not just a Subaru body on a different frame
Depends on what your idea of off-roading is, but I'd sell it and find a small five door 4x4 SUV, put a set if all terrains on it, and go from there.
If you're just driving fire trails and unsealed roads, by all means stick some decent tyres on the Suby and have fun.

I wouldn't go playing with suspension heights and half shaft angles. You'll have more dramas than it's worth, and still not b as capable as the mentioned 4x4.

that rig looks like a blast. which Toyos are you running? I've got the R/T and they really seemed to love climbing over what little rocky stuff I could manage with my hilariously long wheelbase.

>tfw no Wrangler Kevlars
I can't justify them on my truck and my Jeep needs a lift to fit them ;_;

Nice, would love an SJ

fucking cool man im sure we live pretty closely.
how do you like the 6x6? ive been seeing some for some pretty decent deals lately.
honestly i think youd have trouble fitting it on big levels though. i havent been there for a couple years now but last time i was there, it had some pretty tight spots.

>not lifting
although there are much better tires out there than those anyway

Most likely if you live around Cville.
The 6x6 is a blast to drive, it drawfs are the other vehicles on the road, and puts lifted jeeps and trucks to shame. Let me know how the trails go, the truck is wide, but fits on regular roads, albeit barely. It is something close to 8 feet wide, give or take, and the west-coast mirrors add some extra.

very nice. good luck on the rubicon. praying to the car gods for you not to get any panel damage.

im so jelly of your 80

how old are you i probably know you lol

definitely jelly of that thing though. just be careful of water crossings, hear some horror stories.
please tell me you dd it -- think i saw one on earlysville road maybe last week or something...any chance that was you?

thanks man! getting all the PM done was a big pain in the ass but im so glad i did it.
that your hilux? really wish we had those over here.

yeah thats my baby :D

23, from out of state.
If you saw a massive camo truck on Earlysville, then that was me. I park it near the airport and frequently drive down Earlysville and get on that dirt road that connects to 29. Just the other day I took it down the mud-road that will be the 29-bypass.
It certainly isn't hard to see a truck of this size and if you see it with an IL temp plate then you know it's mine.

Nice Sammy. Here's my Tracker.

I live in Denver, so I do a trail nearly every other weekend (fishing/camping mostly). Heading to Ouray in September for the Alpine Loop and more.

I know the feel about having a hilariously long wheelbase. I've got a crew cab f150 too. Threw some wrangler duratracs on it and thought I'd be invincible on the trail. Boy I was wrong.

>tfw no trails nearby and the pigs are on to you tresspassing

where do you live?

bumfuck nowhere in central ohio

I just put a set of 33's on my 2011 Silverado. They're insanely good in the mud/gumbo in the fields around my farm. Gravel isn't nice to them but that's to be expected. I'd recommend 10/10. Picture is the only one I have after crawling though my yard, gotta love sticky mud boi

Make video of mud fun

I got one of me driving through my yard to show how wet it was to show to a buddy, thats about it. Shall make mud fun video soon.
>dat 900L skid tank

Looks like you could use a 3/4 ton. Post some mud videos when you get a chance.

Nonsense. A 1/2 ton is more than adequate for the task. Hell, a midsize pickup with upgraded springs can (albeit only just) manage that.

I want an older 6x6 so fucking bad.

Redpill me on old scouts gentlemen, I have a line on a 3-53 detroit diesel and I would love to put it in an old scout to have a truly bulletproof vintage 4x4

fucking hilarious man i passed by you going the other way in my 80 series
small world
nice truck though im p jelly

start with a cucv if you want a military truck imo. bulletproof as fuck and more practical than a 6x6. although they are sweet as fuck

I mean, I would if I were keeping a tank in the back like that full time. Would also probably opt for a long bed too so I could fit some things in the bed in addition to the tank.

Wow, small world indeed. I will be sure to keep an eye out for you.
Honk twice if you see me, I'll be sure to return the greeting.

will do man.
typically ill either be in my blue 80 (currently pretty stock looking) or a black 03 civic i dd for better mpg

well isnt this fucking romantic

I'm not sure if my tires are rubbing or not. But the inner side of the tire (sidewall facing into truck body) has a noticable line like its been dragged or some shit (or rubbing on my sidewall) but i dont understand how?i got the tires 2 days ago. And i took them offroading the first day i got them, i didn't hear or notice anything too odd when i was driving. But after i washed my truck and got the tire shine on them i noticed pic related. I have like 3-4inches of clearance how can they possibly be rubbing? I'm going to add a leaf tomorrow and add N20 shocks to stiffen up the rear end. Will this help? If not what can i do to fix it? These tires sre BRAND new not even 2 days old and they look like this. Help

Heres the clearance, there should be no reason for them to rub

Another pic

You got them two days ago? Those tires look old as fuck.

I know thats why I'm fucking tripping the fuck out, they're brand new, freshly shipped from goodyear pic related is the first day i had them. The pictures i posted earlier are of the tire before i took it offroading. I tries pressure washing them, but it seems the inner sidewall is peeling or someshit

I meant after i took it offroading. I pressure washed them and shined them up and they look years old now despite them being bought 2 days ago

I scrubbed them on the oldest looking spot, now I'm just going to wait and see when it dries if the rubber is actually being rubbed off, or if its just dirty as fuck from the mud and dirt i went through when i tested them out

>mfw there are people who call themselves overlanders and drive anything other than an 80 series land cruiser

What tires does /org/ suggest?

Tundra TRD Pro, spend a lot of time in the Mojave. So sand and rocks, not much mud.

Yeah man, definitely not enough clearance, especially for offloading when vehicle weight is being shifted this way and that. Those aren't stock right? Only thing that could help is some some wheel offset or stock sized tires.

What kind of spacers do you recommend? Of course theyre not stock senpai

Did you check out the date code on them?

u wot m8

>although there are much better tires out there than those anyway
Such as? Lots of offroading guys I used to roll with had them and never a complaint.

Nice, I still might get them for the truck but $$$$

Considering General Grabbers as well

Way to hijack the thread with your bullshit.

Tbh senpai, I don't know much about particular spacers. Just enough to tell when they're needed. Sorry I couldn't be more help senpai.

thats a hauler, not really suited for offroad

My bros and I. Stock Samurai is shockingly capable.

My nigga

ko2/km2 depending on how aggressive you want to be

funny you say that i have always heard puncture complaints.
if you arent set on all terrains, currently the best tire in that similar price range is the cooper discoverer stt pro.
best combination of everything. technically a mud terrain but its snow rated as well. its also no where near as loud as most mud terrains. my buddy has had his for 40k so far and theyre still chugging along.

youre retarded

>long wheelbase low ground clearance

>calls me a retard

ok buddy enjoy getting stuck and that sweet panel damage

>2415
They're only a a little over a year old, nothing to worry about.

What does ORG think about Chevy Tahoe Z71
>basically a factory lifted Tahoe
Do you think it's worth buying this than a normal Tahoe?

dont really know, not really suited for offroad

there aren't really many new vehicles, especially the suv's, that are actually good off road

I think maybe the 4runner and 200 series land cruiser are the exception

yes, especially if you compare to modern SUV, it comftortable, big, roomy, somewhat fast, reliable, looks good, and equipment is nice,... but for serious off roading you need something older- proper SUV, this tahoe is better for everyday use and is nicer all around, quite good compromise I think

Go for an early 2000s Tahoe LT. The early Z71s all suffer from a rusty bumper (since it was painted instead of chrome). They feature full truck chassis, selectable 4wd, and are very reliable and rugged. There is plenty of potential to lift it and add larger tires. I have a 2001 Tahoe LT that is on 215K miles and still going strong. It resides in the salt belt, but has been everywhere from down south to the mountaintops in Colorado and back and has never broken down. Make sure to get one with positraction, or put it in yourself- it makes a world of difference.

i agree there are much more ideal offroaders but to say its not at all suited for offroad is retarded.
you can get it with a rear locker from the factory for gods sake.
the tundra is plenty capable off road

there are much better choices in that price range but it should be ok depending on what you plan to do with it.

So i added a leaf spring, and new stiffer shocks and im going to take it offroading today see if it rubs.

right on. what kinda vehicle?

98 Chevrolet Shit10

cool. take pics when offroading

Will do m8

Just bought this how did I do ?
>2016
>2,200 miles
> $39000 out the door

these guy don't know what they are doing.

fuck
that is the absolute best color man congrats i am mad jelly.
is it lifted already? i really like those wheels too. the stock wheels are the worst part of the new gen tacomas imo

also which trans did you get?
i would be torn. i like automatic a lot better /off road/ but manuel is inherently more reliable.
post some interior shots if you can they really improved it

nice

Ya It's the stock lift with motor metal rims and taller tires. It is a 4x4 trd
Automatic I'm partial to the manual but auto us much more practical imo
I got a 80,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty

Did you buy it, or did you 'buy' it?

so nice. any plans for it?

>I got a 80,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty
thats spectacular. not that youll even need though lol

if youre asking whether or not he financed it im sure without a doubt he financed it. there are few people who can fork up $40k cash and it would actually be stupid to do so. buying a highly depreciating asset such as a new car outright is completely retarded. anyone with any basic financial knowledge will tell you this.
if you are going to buy a new car, you should finance.

I think the point he was trying to make is that if you are making payments on something, you don't own it. So saying you bought it is a fallacy.

Buying any new car, whether leased, loaned, or purchased outright is completely retarded. The fact of the matter is:
1.) huge depreciation, there is no point in speding $40K + interest
2.) people don't give a hoot about your car, they will ruin it, not you

Oh I bought it I live in AZ and it's at my fiancé brothers dealership in salt lake city Utah going Friday to pick it up.but it is finance.

It's going to be my camping/ shtf vehicle
Need more lights tho

>if you are making payments on something, you don't own it.
fair enough.

>Buying any new car, whether leased, loaned, or purchased outright is completely retarded.
its not something id do either but that is an overstatement. its very nice having a warranty and never having to worry about maintenance because everything is 100% covered.
again, its not something id do either but i totally understand the positives and motives for doing so.

>Need more lights tho
and an arb bar
and a rear swing out
and a roof rack
and some rock sliders
and a gun safe
and an rtt
and a cb/ham
and on board air
and a hi lift jack
and a full sized spare
and a winch

the list is always endless lol

by financing the car, you aren't doing anything to offset the depreciation. You only compound it by paying interest.
If you can pay cash without draining your financial safety net, it is the better financial option.

inb4 repossession

Well it has the roof rack but a cb is next on the list.
>What is being financially responsible

It also depends on what you pay for the car vs what it's actual value is .

>If you can pay cash without draining your financial safety net, it is the better financial option
what
that is absolutely false.
while financing, if you get a low rate like say 1.9, that is basically what inflation is. this way you are only a few thousand into the car, so that is the most you could lose. if you pay outright for the entire thing with cash you stand to lose much more.
youre wrong my man.

>cb is next on the list.
lel
its neverending just wait
which cb are you going for? i went with a cheap one that works really well and fit into my dash really well. kind of wish i had sprung for one with weather channels tho

extended cab is best cab
fucking nice