What's the shittiest feature in a modern car?

what's the shittiest feature in a modern car?

The option of having an automatic transmission.

Complicated as fuck radios. I just want to turn on my AM sports talk with Dan Lebalard and can't figure it out.

touch-screens

It looks nice
It does a lot of things

It is absolutely disruptive to your concentration compared to knobs and buttons, and will break down sooner than sturdy plastics

TPMS

A nightmare if you live anywhere with temperature fluctuations.

/thread

But when you put simple radios in like pic related reviewers trash the car.

rain sensing system
daytime running lights
radio with only aux imput

I was driving my bro's Focus (2013?) and it was so fucking confusing trying to figure out how to work the radio. Luckily I had a 1400mi drive to figure it out.

Seriously though, with half the shit you just give up and use the voice command. It is nice once it all works but what a pain in the ass to figure out.

The focuses radio truly is JUST tier.

and the radio on the high level trims is even more JUST.

-Electric hand break, I want a fucking leaver not a button.
-Electric steering, absolutely no feedback.

Fucking hill hold assist

Electric starter. How are you going to start your car when it inevitably breaks?

What the fuck were they thinking? Ata least Toyota got it right.

Electronic nannies, e.g. ones that control throttle and steering. Fucking STEERING? Can anybody justify this?

desu I'm fond of the 2014 civic. I like dashboards that are angled towards the driver. do you know any other angled dashboards?

I think the issue comes with Ferd trying to offer two LCD screens and the SYNC in a smaller car for an affordable price. Millenials and college kids love all that shit, but they're not going to pay $35k for a logical touchscreen system in a car like that.

electric parking brake
pinch sensors
ridiculous high compression ratios on shitty NA 4 bangers
soft touch plastic
digital gauges

>ridiculous high compression ratios on shitty NA 4 bangers

>he hates torque, response and fuel economy.

Only other one I can think of is the Supra.

Electronic steering, parking brakes, gear shifting, starting

Voice commands and severe phone integration (SMS while driving)

Door open noises have always gotten me pretty good, too. Trying to Ding ding ding clean while you listen to ding ding ding music ding ding? Well dingdingding fuck off ding

>ones that control throttle
Fucking this. I don't mind the traction control/advanced trac in my Mustang because I can push a button to turn it off. I know it saved me a couple of times when I first got the car and had never experienced 420 hp on wet roads. What irks me is that when I put the car in neutral and rev it to redline, it takes a god damn eternity to rev back down to idle. I'd say at least 4-5 seconds which is pretty slow. From what I have found online, it is entirely something that is programmed into the computer for 'emissions' bullshit. You let off the pedal, but the throttle body doesn't immediately snap shut. The computer slowly closes it and reduces fuel to prevent it from dumping un-burnt fuel out the exhaust. I'd kill for a way to remove that shit and give it a snappy rpm drop.

this shit bothers the fuck out of me.

when you have the volume at the ideal situation the power button isn't in the correct orientation. so I turn off the radio, rotate the knob to the proper orientation, then turn the radio back on.

good thing I don't own a VW.

>NA 4 banger

>torque

Wow, that sounds like garbage.

>tfw buying a passat soon

Get it tuned you utter faggot. Then you can have the exact throttle response you want. Christ people whinge about fly by wire throttle.

You don't rotate the power button...

These days, a lot of cars have manual as an option. Good automatics are superior to manual.

What shitbox do you drive where your TPMS system is so sensitive that temperature fluctuations trigger it? Mine will let my tires vary between 30-40 psi and it won't complain.

That's got to be the smallest nav screen I've ever seen.

>it is entirely something that is programmed into the computer for 'emissions' bullshit
Most cars I've driven don't do that, even with EFI and DI. I think it was just a shitty workaround that Ford had to do to meet emissions with the Mustang.

what

Strong reply to poster ratio.

DRLs without automatic headlights.

Have you actually used that radio? The rotating knob can't be pushed in, only the button in the center can. It's essentially a button surrounded by a completely separating rotating knob. I see no way to accidentally turn it off unless you're an idiot

That drives me nuts.

Noone said you could turn it off, the problem is that on the older vw radios, the little power button symbol doesn't stay upright.

I turn the power off on purpose so I can rotate the knob so the little power icon is right-side-up.

nowhere did I say I accidentally turn it off.

idk wtf he's talking about, I've never had any issues with the VW radios

Not him but thats pretty autistic senpai

Mine gets pissy in the winter and I live in Washington, which is pretty mild. Both my BMW and Mazda throw fits.

The worst thing is brake wear sensors, fuck those. There's already a mechanical wear noise designed into the fucking things, I don't need another $20 wear part, nor a 15 minute solder job every time I wanna change a brake pad.

Maxima
I think 300zx maybe

So you're just mad about the orientation of the power button?

Who fucking cares? get that OCD shit out of here

The woman driving it

I really hate the shitty tumors you need to carry around to start the fucking things. What happened to nice small keys like pic related.

EVERY.SINGLE.THING

>Power hatch.
-Cant open manually without using its "emergency" feature
-Can ONLY be opened when car is in Park
-Cant be open from the outside using your key FOB if the car is running
-Will reopen when it meets the lightest resistance closing. Good to prevent it from crushing shit, bad when its 15 years later and its not as smooth as it used to be

>Keyless
-Cant turn off the car unless its in Park, Neutral, and at a standstill.
-Cant turn the engine off, and leave it in ACC unless you "trick" it into doing so
-Makes annoying beeping noise when you leave the running vehicle with the keys on you
-Once the car is running, the keyfob is USELESS outside. Wont unlock, lock, or open the hatch
-Cant use the FOB to lock the car when its already running. Cant warm it up in winter time and lock it
>DLR, or always one headlights
-sometimes you cannot turn that shit off at all
>Driver assist, Lane departure, or blind spot warnings
-Works 80% of the time
-Does not recognize large things like semi trucks
-Sometimes it goes off for no reason
-Sometimes it does not, and you start relying on it, and not actually checking your mirrors, and merge into someone
>HUGE FUCKING MIRRORS
-Just create more blind spots, yet most still lack a convex mirror
>Yeah, we have less windows, and visibility. HERE, HAVE BACKUP CAMERAS!

Fuck you, modern cars are shit.

Shoulder high door frames, you literally have a 5+ blind spot around your car. Cant see curbs, cant see objects right next to you, cant see nutta

fuck modern cars.

Do you not think that was one of the first things I looked into? Every mention I found of it in forums said nobody has figured out how to get rid of it, even with tunes.

newer vettes are too if I recall correctly

WHAT IS THIS SATANIC MAGIC

SYNC is a piece of absolute garbage. What the fuck were they thinking

These, except I disagree on the DRLs. I like them in general, but I can understand why someone wouldn't or would at least like an option to turn it off.

>key FOB
What does FOB stand for in this situation?

Shitty plastic everywhere in an engine bay. That shits gonna turn brittle and crack in a few years. Especially the plastic rivets that hold it all together.

Seat belt warning chimes that you can't make shut the fuck up.

Also those shitty low resolution screens on the dash. Fuck, if you're going to put a screen in the car, at least make it so it looks nice.

Last thing is the stuff that makes you hit a button to "confirm" that you're not driving when messing with the radio or nav setup. Whats the fucking point?

>that pic

Fob doesn't stand for anything, its the thing that a key is attached to.

modern cars, even without key start still have an emergency key that will unlock the drivers side door.

This is honestly one of my biggest gripes. And then they're balls-expensive too if you want a new one or need a replacement, at least mine was.

I even hate some of the transponder keys because its so ham handed and shitty, take a second to actually put some thought into it and make it not fuck huge.

>HUGE FUCKING MIRRORS
>Shoulder high door frames
>gigantic pillars
This, lack of visibility is the single worst trend in modern cars imo.

It's a good thing we've got all these crash safety devices because we sure as fuck won't be able to see the crash coming.

Boyle's law, buddy

It is right there in the tune. The section is drivers wish, it will be cross-reference to other maps for traction control etc, but the base drivers wish map can be altered so it is far more responsive. Find a tuner that isn't autistic.

Its not just that. Drove my parents new minivan, CANT SEE SHIT.

Cant see the fucking curb when parking, have to feel it the tires. Mirrors dont show the ground.

Pulling out of a parking lot, they have these damn islands near some space, cant see it at all. fucking backed into one turning. Thought I hit another fucking car. almost shit myself

driving in the city, some bum on a wheelchair asking for change between lanes. LITERALLY CANNOT SEE HIM. the top of his head is out of my fucking view.

Sounds like you got shitty spacial awareness senpai

Electric seats. What the fuck, is manually adjusting the seat too physically exhausting for people?

You have to wait just about 5 years for the little motors to churn into the right position if you just want to fucking lean back for a second.

Power seats are God tier I don't know what the hell you're going on about

Black box that phones home so the NSA can hear you singing Katy Perry in your car

>those seats
>in a 60 grand minimum car

What the fuck is this shit chevy

Rear windows don't go all the way down... for the kids. Who are you to subvert Darwin?

One new thing I am furious about is when you turn on turn signals and the DRL/headlights turn off. Did whomever designed the electrical system in your new car not know how to keep both turn signal and DRL/headlight on at the same time?

>AM?
What is this? the 60's?

The touchscreen displays are always so ugly, they never match well with the car interior. Just give me a really simple interface.

The design in general of the interiors. All those weird lines that don't align with eachother and curved edges and extra facets in every surfacee. Why does every car interior look like a webpage designed in 2005?

It's called being performance orientated. Go spend an extra $100k on a Porsche, etc. if you want a quality interior.

Performance oriented tends to have side bolstering.

Most Vette owners can barely get their arthritic asses in with the stock seats.

>all these years and Toyota still has a totally separate small digital clock with an H and M button in a separate part of the dashboard

Bless you, Toyota.

Lots of various older Volvo models have angled dashboards, although not quite as obviously angled as a Vette or Supra because of how simple the interior is.

Do you know why?
Hint: rear wheel.

Shittiest feature to date is the DLR being able to be off.
I've "seen" cars drive without rear lights on in the middle of the fucking night.

>The idea with these lights is not for the driver to see by, but to make the vehicle more conspicuous to other road users. Take a quick glance in a rear-view mirror, and lit vehicles will almost certainly grab your attention more than unlit vehicles

Then this shit comes up.

>The rear lights are only needed at night to allow other users to see cars ahead of them, so during DRL operation the rear lights will be off.

Car on?
Then lights fucking ON!

>tfw manlet and can only drive older cars because new ones have such high beltlines it's unsafe for me to drive them

Let me guess, Sienna?

>Car on?
>Then lights fucking ON!

Nooo. Then your bulbs are going to be burnt out when you need them the most... at night. A lot of older vehicles with DRL's have burnt out low beams and people are usually too stupid to even realize it's burnt out.

DRL's would be okay if there was a dedicated tail light that stayed on all the time but very few cars have that in North America.

>Nooo. Then your bulbs are going to be burnt out when you need them the most... at night. A lot of older vehicles with DRL's have burnt out low beams and people are usually too stupid to even realize it's burnt out.

Do you live in a third world country that doesn't have yearly car inspections?

Drive-by-wire. I WANT THE THROTTLE TO OPEN AS SOON AS I PRESS THE ACCELERATOR GOD DAMN IT

1st world but no inspections. It could burn out a day after the inspection and people would still wait till the next inspection to change it, so yearly inspections are pretty pointless really. Same thing goes with any mechanical issue really. Fuck inspections.

infotainment touch screen bs is pretty high on the list
along with how shitty the interior trim is

Touchscreen head units that don't register your touch when the car is in motion. FUCK ALL AUTOMAKERS FOR THAT

Everything. Fuck new cars.

Fuck stock cars. I want driving to be hella engaging. I want high ratio but still manual steering. I want to feel like I'm riding on rails. I want the exhaust to shake the cabin. I want black ice to be the only smell I could ever discern over unburnt fuel.

You want a shot box acura then

Fuck stock cars. I want driving to be hella engaging. I want high ratio but still manual steering. I want to feel like I'm riding on rails. I want the exhaust to shake the cabin. I want black ice to be the only smell I could ever discern over unburnt fuel. And it has to be rear wheel drive.

Fuck stock cars. I want driving to be hella engaging. I want high ratio but still manual steering. I want to feel like I'm riding on rails. I want the exhaust to shake the cabin. I want black ice to be the only smell I could ever discern over unburnt fuel. And it has to be rear wheel drive.

"Dinner at the diner, nothing could be finer~
~woo-woo, Chattanooga; there you are!"

Not sure if you mean newer cars, but some GM SUV's have them. For example, my dads Avalanche.

the "key"
parking assist
backup cameras
bulgy aesthetic
more blindspots than windows
non cable throttle
expensive as fuck parts
touchscreens
stiff seats
huge plastic covers over the engine
the trucks are too tall for work (and have too many doors)
base msrp's getting higher every year
low profile tires
etc
etc

>Performance oriented
>No bolsters
>Leather rather than cloth or alcantara
Nope.

This is the tune you faggot, not drive by wire. Go drive a Porsche or Ferrari, no lag, but drive by wire. Amazing. Get a tune.

>LCD instrument clusters mimicking analog dials
it looks like a fucking video game, let alone the fact the dial moves at a poor frame rate

I can't believe an elegant car like the S-class has that bullshit. If you're going do an all digital digital dash, fine, but don't implement a poor analog immitation

when i had a mk6 gti the fact that the power symbol turned too drove me fkn crazy, i only used the steering wheel to control volume bc it was so annoying

Okay, I have something to say that I do like. BMW's soft close door thing.
You can just lightly push the car door closed and an electric motor closes it the rest of the way.

>check
>check
>check
>check
>....

What the FUCK have I done?

my new taco does neither of those things, and i'm fucking pleased about it.

Everything i can forgive but a button to replace the handbrake.

KEK

Fag.
Anything that disconnects you from the car is shit.

Are you that bad of a driver you can't tell when a headlight has burned out?