Are ls1 engines actually good or is it a meme burger claps use to justify not having performance dohc engines?

Are ls1 engines actually good or is it a meme burger claps use to justify not having performance dohc engines?

Other urls found in this thread:

powerperformancenews.com/tech-articles/the-500-question-budget-boosted-big-block/
caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2015-results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_queen
youtube.com/watch?v=JBVMaufrwjI
youtube.com/watch?v=TZKRVOrRuGw
fastestlaps.com/models/bugatti-eb-16-4-veyron
fastestlaps.com/models/ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

theyre good. at the shop i used to work out we were building them to almost 700hp n/a. they can go for over 1000hp on boost relatively easily, and they get better gas mileage than my fucking 4cyl 150hp truck.

They actually are really good. Have an unbelievable aftermarket support, as well.

>burgerclaps
Since you're not aussie, you would know how good it was if you were, I'm assuming you're just some assmad yuropoor driving a 1.3 liter diesel shitbox and are just suffering from fox and grapes, don't worry this too shall pass

dumb question, but what kind of cars take the ls engine? Chevy only? or others?

Whatever you put it in

OR are you asking what comes with LS engines? It's a GM engine, so; Chevy, Holden, Cadillac, GM, Pontiac, etc

It's a GM engine but it's popular to put in anything

>be mulitnational automaker
>spend billions trying to go fastest
>design fuckhueg w16 engine
>slap on 4 turbos
>find out a few weeks later that jimmy lsx just blew you the fuck out

lol etc

>it has never ever won LeMans

its literal dogshit

>2 valve

top kek!!!

>Veyron
>16 cylinders
>4 turbos
>1000hp
>$1mil+

>Mustang Super Snake
>8 cylinders
>1 supercharger
>850hp
>$100,000

Europe, do you even lift?

if only my car consumed apex seals for fuel.

that makes no fucking sense

do you actually tought that was a good "meme"

Thanks for letting me know.

So basically any car can have an ls engine swapped into it - neato.

Seems like the only thing GM did right, haaa

literally impossible to find used go ahead and prove me wrong.

name an LS powered production car faster than the GTR

BTFO

Any car can pretty much have anything put it in it, depending on how much money you want to throw in it.

The other day I saw an LS swapped E46 3 series, was bretty cool.

would an ls swapped porsche 944 be any good around the touge?

I was thinking about doing that to a 330 sedan, but wasn't popular enough a swap for some fucktard like me to get in there cutting shit to try and fabricate it myself.

not gonna argue that because don't care

shame about the turning part

They're ugly. They look like those big spider robots from the old halo games. They sound like those little wind up cars you have to roll the wheels backwards and let go of them and they go. The engine sound is somewhere between a beyblade gun and someone farting through a clock radio.

Are "LS1" engines good? This isn't 2008. Everyones already moved on from gen 3 engines.

Do you mean LS engines in general? They're alright from a performance standpoint "1000hp and better mpg than my 4 cyl truck" is a boomer meme.

I had a hard on for them in highschool. I eventually grew up and as I learned more about cars I realized that big blocks are literally better in every way. The biggest comparison between LS and BBC is that "lol i can start it in the winter ;ppp" because boomer retards are completely incapable of installing aftermarket FI on carbed engines.

Anyone who knows dick about engines knows that the BBC has always been the "LS" yet illiterates are convinced dropping 100lbs will turn their car into a road racer.

you always hear people ranting about turbo 1000hp ls junkyard blocks like its something new.

with big blocks this has always been possible, and without paper thin cylinder walls.

powerperformancenews.com/tech-articles/the-500-question-budget-boosted-big-block/

This guy bought a kit from some company in TX, said they stopped making it because nobody bought it, he had about $25k into the swap.

Probably not

Why bother with a big block when you can build 472ci + tall deck small blocks these days? Yeah you take a big financial hit at first but every part outside the short block is cheaper and has more options.

>probably not

why do you have to be like that?

Why bother with 472 cubic inches? Why not got to 502? 540? 632? Why even bother with a gasoline engine, why not strap a jet engine for an f15 on it?

It's called fucking money.

Not everyone is a rich boomer who can drop 100,000$+ on crazy aftermarket shit you fucking retard. Also there's a thing called piston speed, and if your stroke is longer than 4 inches and you plan on going over 6.000rpm you'd better be a rich boomer who only does peel outs outside the malt shoppe or some drag racer retard who rebuilds his engine ever season.

What are you proposing to do instead? Biggest you can go with a BBC without spending a ton of money is a 468. If you want to make good power with it every part is significantly more expensive than a small block. You can build a 406ci small block that makes as much power as that 468ci for the same amount of money, save weight, and not have to shoehorn it into your car. Small blocks win for both cheap power and spewing money until you get into real retard power numbers.

>you can only stroke a stock BBC to 468 inches

Did I say that?

>without spending a ton of money

the engine equivalent of choosing the promiscuous fat chick

that funny because the veryon is faster around a track while being even more pigfat

>you can do this you can do that you can you can la la la la

>You can build a 406ci small block that makes as much power as that 468ci for the same amount of money
That's not the point here. stock iron big block heads walk all over any stock small block head. even midly ported truck heads flow more than vortec heads.

you're a fucking retarded faggot. a 427 BBC with cheap oval or rectangle heads, even peanut port heads will out rev and out torque and outflow any faggot sbc406. a 4inch fucking stroke in a small block? When that 427 is screaming at 7000rpm and your 406 bubba stump puller is shredding the tires at 800rpm you'll finall fucking understand

MT900? met crash and emissions for its time and was sold as a new car like an exotic.
caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2015-results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

You pick them up at the junkyard for $500 and they swap into anything in a weekend.

>they swap into anything in a weekend
this is a bold faced lie

That's american cars for you, in general.

Superb engines wrapped around cheap crap.

>it's the price
>wait no it's stock for stock
>actually it's all about the revs!
Maybe get your story straight next time and you won't have to move the goalposts over and over

The LS1 is dated at this point with its small 3.898" bore. If you're on a budget go 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 Vortec. If you can spend LSx money go with an LS2/LS3 for the 4.000" bore. Or better yet the LS7 with the 4.125" bore. I can't wait for the new LT1 engine to come down in price. Those things are already making sick power. Most of your decent 4.000" bore LSx/Vortec cylinder heads will flow 300-325 cfm easy to support up to around 650 hp. From there you can go aftermarket and flow up to 400 cfm and over 800 hp. Then there's big inch drag race heads flowing around 500 cfm for over 1k hp. All of this NA. Most people think the aluminum blocks won't take boost, but they will. With a built rotating assembly the aluminum blocks take the boost just fine. Don't forget to o-ring the higher boost setups. Or if you're running extreme boost look into ERL Superdecks. There are stock block aluminum engines around 2,000 hp on boost and/or nitrous at this point.

An SBC with aluminum intake and cast iron heads is about 85 lbs lighter than a BBC with aluminum intake and aluminum heads. An LSx with composite intake, aluminum heads, and aluminum block is about 75-85 lbs lighter than a SBC with aluminum intake and aluminum heads depending on the casting weight of the aluminum heads on the SBC since there's a pretty decent variation. So unless you shell out the big bucks for an exotic aluminum block BBC you can have an LSx that's at least around 190 lbs lighter. That's a pretty significant chunk of change up front in an already nose heavy car many of which don't have the front of the accessory drive behind front axle center line. So the BBC is really only if you don't give a fuck about handling at all.

>car and driver

into the trash

>What is aftermarket heads
>what is porting

>hey sound like those little wind up cars you have to roll the wheels backwards and let go of them and they go. The engine sound is somewhere between a beyblade gun and someone farting through a clock radio.

>sour grapes: used to refer to an attitude in which someone adopts a negative attitude to something because they cannot have it themselves.

>With a built rotating assembly the aluminum blocks take the boost just fine

>thinks you can't boost a stock LS1 (or LS6)

nigger 6 bolt mains and forged rotating mass from the factory

>Do you mean LS engines in general? They're alright from a performance standpoint "1000hp and better mpg than my 4 cyl truck" is a boomer meme.
I get 8l per 100km on the highway or less and 12 around town

Its better than my older 4.0l i6's

It also has double the power and easy as piss to work on and cheap to repair.

How the fuck is it a boomer meme? The engine is barely 20 years old that puts it more inline with Gen X you fucking turd

>tfw my LS1 car gets like 25 mpg highway with 3.23 gears

also
>faster than an s2000 for like 1/5th the cost

i can get 30mpg easy its just im never ever cruising as im always going around some sort of hill or corners because hinterlands

LS engines are objectively good if you look at their size, weight, and power. If you rate engines by memes then they aren't for you.

Mustangs are fine until you need to turn.

>MemesPerGalon

>this is what transexual-am owners belive

not even a z06 can keep up

my car is a 4 speed auto so the gearing is low

on the highway i could use way more overdrive with how much torque the engine has.

>but that SOUND turning 3000 rpm in 4th at 90mph on the highway

>still slower at the stop lights

b-but if we were on a r-racetrack

>stoplight """"racing""""

theyre pretty shit and overrated to all hell

theyre the goto engine for people who arent into cars

What's that you want a cheap LS that makes alright power and fuel economy out of the box?

Look no further

You want 6-700 HP with just a few performance parts?

Look no further

Do you just not give a single fuck and want to make 600+ HP just on NOS?

Look no further

Oh. you have a turbo kit you pulled out of a junkyard?

Slap the fucker on and tune it for about 6-7 psi with not but stock internals and you'll be pushing out high 500s with little to no effort.

Move aside bitches. Best LS coming through.

>drive his "slow car fast"

my other car is an EF civic so i get the toogay nippon jdm street cred thing but

>losing to a bone stock automatic live-rear axle "muscle" car in a drag race

when you have to explain "why" you lost

>kek

>Mustangs are fine until you need to turn.

That's nowhere on the street in America.

>5.3

>Best LS coming through.

>those itty bitty titty intake valves

>drag racing

pls go back to lgbt

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_queen

>drag is very much associated with gay men and gay culture

Not even LT engines are good, kek

So is having less than 6L

Boost solves many things user

youtube.com/watch?v=JBVMaufrwjI

ironically the guy in the s2000 let off because the road was getting curvy

>bringing up sexuality

i'm sorry you're repressed

honestly have no idea what you are trying to meme about

They're just GM fangirls. Ignore them

LS1s are shit, but LS2s and 3s are good.

Ultima gtr kek

>Mustang that cost 30k to make
>Nippon godzirra that cost 90k
>Derier demolition of JDM fagots everywhere... Priceless

youtube.com/watch?v=TZKRVOrRuGw

>gm fangirl

if anything im a honda enthusiast

>kek

>"MUSTANG BEATS A GTR" "MUST SEE VIDEO" "(GONE SEXUAL)"

>Its another drag racing faggotry video

top kek

literally everytime

mustangs confirmed for not being able to turn

It was a good meme.

>gtr

I said aside from a GTR

the main reason they are so popular is because pushrods make the packaging small and it's light and very easy to make good power from and on top of it all they are reliable as fuck. very solid engines

not to say you can't make power from anything else or that anything else isn't reliable but it's cheap found everywhere and for a budget build you can't beat it.

Yeah i love crusing it sounds and feels amazing the low rumble makes me fap

You can make a 502 just the same.
And gm even had a 496 in production vehicles.

Big blocks are not that much bigger than small block, it's usually headers off big block that kill you.

>if we were on a track bro.

honest answer is the ls is in the top tier of engines, but all the cars they come in stock are pig fat. Seperate the engine for the cars and it's fantastic.

Not the best, but pretty damn good and anyone who hates is bias

>1600kg wet
>fat
Granted shes 15 years old but still i get you're point

Well I'm Aussie so here, it only comes in 1800kg plus cars. Amazing engine, but you take it and put it in something lighter for a proper car.

>This is what europoors actually believe.

Bugatti EB 16.4 Veyron: Motortrend Figure-8 0:24.70

fastestlaps.com/models/bugatti-eb-16-4-veyron

Ford Mustang GT (Mk VI): Motortrend Figure-8 0:24.40

BEE
TEE
EFF
OHH

Ausfag here also (vx1 calais)

Yeah if you swapped it into a VN or something it would be proper quick a mate of mine races one its sick.

ALL CARS
L
L

C
A
R
S

>not realizing there were stock BBC coming into 492ci

Stay retarded friendo

>drive gutted 4th gen
>3400lb 300hp+

its not that pigfat. its super stable at speed

and it has great aero stock (wing/canards)

I know its a fucking joke mate.
Our auto manufacturers love over engineering shit.
And although I do love all the new technology, like VVT, multi air, VGT etc, there's something about a huge displacement engine that I really like the idea of.

Unfortunately the only cars here with 5.0L + engines are Luxo barges (old jags,7 series, Range rover), Lorries, or yankie imports.

>buy corvette in murica for like $20k
>faster than exclusive luxury cars

>pushrods

CFM numbers are meaningless without the test depression, mean port speed and valve lift.

>Implying it takes much to beat the veyron.