/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
siliconera.com/2016/09/30/nintendo-picross-legend-zelda-twilight-princess-available-indefinitely/
github.com/project64/project64/commits?author=vgturtle127
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Dummies_Guide:_RetroArch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

PCSX rearmed is coming along nicely on Vita.

>coming along nicely
>posts image from 5 minutes after it first started working

Stop trying to get people to buy a Vita. It's cruel.

It's been working for the past week/few days.

It's serviceable apart from the current glaring issue of suspending RA or the device drops the file handle.

It also hasn't made ANY progress and there will probably never be any significant improvements.

Inaccurate hardware renderer at native res with no enhancements (like PGXP) is all it's ever going to get.

Pretty sad when any phone from the past 10 years can do better.

Cool, who asked? :^)

Go back to vitagen faggot

>Inaccurate hardware renderer at native res with no enhancements (like PGXP) is all it's ever going to get.
It uses the NEON software renderer.

Some people actually prefer 1x

Why did Jowy go insane?

To be fair FFIX has pretty high resolution textures for a PSX game and 1x would look less bad with a CRT shader.

But yeah in general I think 2x really improves PSX graphics while not really making the "jittery" nature of PSX graphics much more noticeable.

Meant to quote

FFIX is one my favorite games of all time, I've always used to play it on my ps1 and on epsxe but since then there must be better choices, can someone tell me which emulator would be the best?
Last time I played the game the colors were a bit faded.

you let it die faggots

PCSX2.

Do games from cds run like crap?| Im trying to get Mortal Kombat DA to work but it drops frames and speed like no tomorow, RaC3 from iso doesnt work either. running on an fx8350 and 7970 so i dont think that set up is the issue

>running on an fx8350 and 7970
>i dont think that set up is the issue

Shows how much you know. AMD is always an issue.

>amd

lmao

whats the issue exactly?

Mednafen almost certainly. With the pre-rendered backgrounds it doesn't make sense to go for high internal resolution anyway. Use it in RA if you want a fancy CRT shader and you're all set.

AMD is the issue. Their CPUs have abysmal single core performance compared to Intel, which is very important for emulators. Their GPUs have shitty OGL support/performance, and nowhere else is that more glaringly obvious than on PCSX2 where the vast majority of games get a massive speed hit in OGL vs D3D, and on top of that the D3D backend has pretty much been deprecated and is far behind OGL in terms of accuracy.

Is cemu single core. I just downloaded it for the first time and if you click cpu your only options are single core recompiler and single core interpreter.

>FF9 is already on PC
>people still play it using emulators on their PC
>mfw people just don't PLAY THE STINKIN' PC PORT which is the MOST LOGICAL WAY TO PLAY IT ON PC

AMD CPUs aren't as fast as the top end Intel CPUs, but they are still perfectly capable of running PCSX2, and most people with intel CPUs don't have single core performance as good as an fx8350.

wewlads, couldnt find strong enough rope
actually enjoying the games

>perfectly capable of running PCSX2

And you know this because you got Persona, FFX, and some other non-intensive game to run well on it? This is the kind of retarded statement that shows people you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

I've been able to run SotC and MGS3 on mine just fine, faggot. Unless you're using software mode, the GPU is almost always the bottle neck in PCSX2 anyway.

>I've been able to run SotC and MGS3 on mine just fine, faggot.

Using VU and EE cycle stealing doesn't count as it makes the games run actually choppier than the actual PS2 did..

>Unless you're using software mode

Which is still needed for certain games to run properly.

>the GPU is almost always the bottle neck in PCSX2 anyway.

If you're using AMD, sure. And ironically, one of the reasons OGL runs so shit in AMD is because it lacks the multithreaded optimizations the Nvidia driver does, so it hammers a single CPU core hard, and of course weaker single thread performance will translate into worse GPU performance. Thus the GPU bottleneck is actually a CPU bottleneck. Ironic that Intel CPUs are the best match for AMD GPUs.

>PC already has a port of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
>people still play it on PCSX2
>mfw

I didn't use any cycle stealing; all I did was was leave the IR at x1 because my Nvidia GPU couldn't handle it.

Intel may be your only option for emulating problem games in software mode, but personally I'd rather just hook up my PS2 than buy a $350 6700k for that.

Shill more, cunt.

>known far and wide across the world that AMD CPUs are shit
>"they're fine shut up you... you shill!"

Tell me user, what drives you? Fanboyism? Buyer's remorse? Actual paid marketing?

>filters

No filters there, user.
And do you get the reference?

>meemed far and wide that AMD CPUs are shit
>someone using facts to argue that it's not true
>b-but my memes
>/v/ wouldn't lie to me, they are the smartest computer hacker guys ever

>people not pirating X/X-2 HD in 2016

>playing FFX/X-2
>any year

Other than text and menus that were redone, pretty much everything, backgrounds textures FMVs, have a smoothing filter pre-applied to them in the PC port.

>not playing two of the best games of all time

>anecdotal evidence from a random anonymous user of an anime imageboard
>facts

What's the point? I already have the emulator setup and I don't have to install anything more, just load the bin/cue. And I get to configure how the game ends up looking instead of having to deal with the (IMO) horrible filtering they've done on the PC port.

There are many games where the native port is superior to the emulated version but FFIX is really not one of them.

>completely baseless preconceptions are worth more than claims that could be verified by anyone if they really cared

okay

>completely baseless preconceptions

cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Yeah, that was okay because the pre-rendered backgrounds had to be upscaled that way and the same thing would happen with emulators, anyway.
And the FMVs which were re-rendered in HD rather than upscaled like VII and VIII looked amazing.
And the models were upgraded.

Anyways, did you GET THE STINKIN' REFERENCE from my first post?

>horrible filtering they've done on the PC port
Its how the developers intended the game to be played :^)

The FMVs were not rerendered. You either don't have eyes or have never actually seen it if you think that.

Where exactly does it say on there that AMD is automatically worthless for emulation, and can't run SotC at fullspeed, and any Intel CPU is automatically better?

Most of them were.
There were some still FMVs which were just upscaled from the PS1 version.

With an emulator I can control how it's upscaled though, and I can assure you that I won't use the terrible filter they've used for the port.

I doubt they were completely re-rendered but they at least they look a bit better than the native PSX ones. Maybe they just reencoded them from a clean master or something? The jpeg artifacting is pretty intense in the original version.

They were re-rendered from the original files (which they still had a backup for some reason).

This is a similar case with Toy Story 1.
It was said that it wasn't even rendered in HD for the theatrical release but they re-rendered the entire movie in HD for the Blu-ray and later on 3D.

Okay, I'm surprised they even bothered. Seemed like a cheap port. I wonder why they didn't take the time to do something better with the backgrounds then.

There's no reason for someone to spend a ton on AMD to get tolerable single core performance when they can spend less on intel and get the same levels. Of course that's in the realm of emulation and amd is cheaper for pc gaymin

Does Fire emblem work on Citra?

>Thinking the Remaster is better than the original with those uncanny valley models
kek

For the same amount of money, Intel will always get you better single core perf. Thus, Intel.

Assuming this is the HD version
Why are her lips smaller?

She looks more japanese overall IMO.

Maybe the thinner lips didn't look good in the original resolution?

Tidus & Yuna received new faces in order to look more attractive

her new face looks awful with that out of proportion nose

Didn't say they were successful

My current rig consists of a i5-4690k and a gtx 1060. Is there anything I should try disabling in PCSX2 for improved accuracy, assuming I can maintain stable performance? Is cyclestealing/frameskipping and shit like that on by default in 1.4?

why did they de-asian her?

You'll want to look for game specific fixes instead of asking for "the best possible settings"
Generally software mode is the most accurate

Second one is more asian with a smaller face but larger nose

the PS2 Yuna has a classically Japanese nose shape and chin.
HD Yuna modified the eyes, nose and cheeks to make her look less asian, but also more cartoonish.
It's a very bizarre design choice.

>has a classically Japanese nose shape and chin
How about you actually look at a real slant eyed gook instead of fake pop idols?

I'm not him but I definitely find remake-Yuna more japanese looking.

I don't have any interest in pop music.
I just learned japanese facial features so I could discern them from the chinese.
Chinese seem to really dislike the Japanese for some reason...I wonder why...

Because she is more japanese looking.

>Chinese seem to really dislike the Japanese for some reason
Chinks can't even tell the difference between one type of gook from another.

>Chinks can't even tell the difference between one type of gook from another.
Are you telling me that as a whitey I'm better at telling asians apart than asians?
My weeb powers must be off the charts.

>Are you telling me that as a whitey I'm better at telling asians apart than asians?
I am telling you as a whitey that you are seeing smoke where there is none.

Every character got a new face and none of them are better. The animations and even the models are so much worse.

Is it me or did RPCS3/Xenia reach playable speeds in much shorter time since the start of their development than PCSX2/Dolphin? Why is that?

Looks like a kingdom hearts character

The PS2 had pretty unorthodox hardware, it was probably harder to get it to run decently on PC. I don't know about dolphin though, I'm not familiar with the GC hardware.

Its just you

Everything at SE has been taken over by the Kingdom Hearts guys. They just run wild.

Maybe we should move to /vr/

Yes. Decaf uses 3 cores though.

Is now a good time to attempt to set up Retroarch on 3DS or should I wait for the next stable release?

You will always be waiting for something, and stable releases in the emulation scene are literally completely meaningless - just use the latest dev build, it is not any less "stable".

Alright.
How do I set up Retroarch on my 3DS (N3DS with Luma/a9lh) and what's the easiest way to update Retroarch once I have it set up?

I haven't browsed these threads in over 2 years
Is xbox emulation a thing yet?

Read a guide nigga

It briefly looked like some work was being done towards it, but as of now the answer still appears to be "never ever".

siliconera.com/2016/09/30/nintendo-picross-legend-zelda-twilight-princess-available-indefinitely/

Get to work boys. Preserve this masterwork for posterity.

>Is xbox emulation a thing yet?

Already is, and is completely playable on Citra.

There was a surge of progress a year ago then nothing because the devs are busy with other things, some other guy is trying to unshit
CXBX recently but not sure what will ever come out of it.

BASED TURTLE

As ridiculous as it looks, the fact that there are models being rendered on the screen, some of which are rendering correctly, makes me hopeful. There is some understanding of the necessities to emulate games going on.

Stop pretending Turtle does things, it's weird. And also bullying to the real devs.

>Stop pretending Turtle does things,

github.com/project64/project64/commits?author=vgturtle127

Shit was added to no-intro like the day it came out.

The funny thing is, emugen downplays readmes, but if people actually read the readmes and the readmes were robust and well written, there would be less stupid questions here.

Windows 10 user here. PCSX-R always showing "Configuration is not OK" not matter what i do and Mednafen doesn't work at all.
Help me /g/urus.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Dummies_Guide:_RetroArch