Dwarf Fortress General /dfg/

Surgery is a delicate and careful art edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/
>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php
>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt
>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page
>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/
>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
>bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
>(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)
>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0
>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)
>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf
>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn
Strike the earth!

Well fuck that explains what happened, thought the connection was just dead, not the thread.

Is it time for hibernation lads?

Making a thread is intimidating.

>worldgen artifact storage

Reminder of the greatness last thread.

I expect there to be a few cases of a sword stuck literally in a wall, and people thinking it was an excalibur reference so they try to figure out how to pull it out, but it is just literally stuck due to the wall being in the wrong spot.

What if the sword+wall combo is actually the real artifact, and that by removing the sword, you destroy it, and you end up with a boring ordinary sword and a hole in a wall?

>comic
Hey, don't post spoilers! I'm only 10 or so issues in!

Now I'm reminded of one of the absurd weapons in Rune Factory 3 or 4 called the Broken Wall which was just a big fucking hunk of rock with spikes.

So the trick isn't to pull the sword out, it's to wield the wall via the sword!

If it's a wall, I'd think Durandal before Excalibur.

Good reference, didn't know the bit about it being rumored to have been stuck in a cliff.

>this general
all in all, this is one of the best places of all Veeky Forums, legit talkingI love you allno homo

Truly, he was a Stardust the Super Wizard.

I've often wondered just what it is that causes that, but I'm can't really put my finger on what it is exactly. I think it stems from the fact that the autism involved in enjoying Dwarf Fortress attracts a lot of people with higher intelligence, as pretentious as that sounds, which makes for a lot less shitposting and a lot more discussion.

I'm just talking out my ass of course, but yeah I love you too mate.

If you love me suck my dick, bitch, please.

gee, not like that silly user
I love you as if you were my brother

definitely agreed, this place rocks
I think that DF is just completely unappealing to kids, obnoxious normies and other undesireable people
We might be autists, but we're laid-back, seasoned autists

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE

you and
are both right. This game offers the chance to productive and somehow focused fans to contribute good and thought content to the general
I mean, we have drew and ninedots, and some guys keeps discussing interesting and possible future ideas of the game. This general is bretty good overall
The only bad thing is the lack of suggestionfags

>I imagine it'll use the name construction screen, which makes the name your fault.
>your fault
Gee Toady, you are being a little harsh, don't you...?
wait
>Randomdragon
nevermind

If you are still there, pls gib tileset and color pack, shit looks great for an underground fort

Solarized palette, from the wiki.

Not even strangers on the Internet who play fucking dwarf fortress want to fuck me

fuck, nord huscarls really need a nerf

So why can't we sort animals by species when assigning to cages/pastures?
I'm more surprised there isn't some dfhack thing for this.

>gamer. But no matter how you look at it, it's still a niche OS that practically nobody uses for gaming.
As someone who uses lunix for all his gaming needs, it always feels strange to be reminded of this.

>We might be autists, but we're laid-back, seasoned autists
Yep.

>So why can't we sort animals by species when assigning to cages/pastures?
For me, it's more urgent to sort them according to their status:
>free
>restrained
>caged(stockpile)
>caged(constructed)

It would make handling zoo cage assignment much easier.

>It would make handling zoo cage assignment much easier.
Yeah, trying to maintain even a few types of breeding animals seems excessively difficult due to this.

How old were you when you learned to use quivers instead of waterskins in adv mode?

They let you stock up the perfect amount of water/booze. Enough not to have to use the empty-fill exploit all the time, but not so uch that it encumbers you.

gif highly related

>merchants arrive
>request trader
>manage hangs out in the tavern socializing for days
>eats
>goes back to bar and socializes until the traders are gone

what

>giant cave spider attacks some dorf child
>child easily dodges every attack and brutally retaliating
>spider falls over and drags itself away having unharmed the child
>drags itself to a group of adult dwaves and immediately tears one to pieces
>bites another adult and rips into his head until he's a bloody mess on the ground
>injects the chief medical dwarf with venom and spews web at everyone nearby
>captain of the guard arrives only to stumble into the web
>hunter arrives and shoots an arrow at the giant cave spider
>hunter then stumbles into web
>6-7 dwarves are now incapacitated
>child from earlier suddenly appears, with right leg raised
> The dwarven child kicks the giant cave spider in the cephalothorax with her right foot and the injured part explodes into gore!

>put the giant cave spider silk in the loom, weaver-chan

God bless dwarf fortress. its this kind of shit that makes me love this game.

I was wrong.
It was two separate children.
The one who beat up the spider without a scratch didn't bother following when the spider limped away.

I also went over the number of dwarves involved again.
The giant cave spider incapacitated 8 adults.

The second child chanced upon the commotion, and saved all the adults with a single kick.
They were both little girls.

well, you know who to put in your military later on.

My mayor has, about 30 times now, demanded we make goblets, then banned the export of goblets.

Same here, but with querns.

The thing is that they always mandate and ban export of things they like, supposedly because they want as many of those commodities as possible in the fort.

Well, I have about 100 gold or silver goblets now.

bummin' with 'bolds

source

>day off
>no visitors
>wanted a simple fort this time around focusing on weapon/armor exports
>get this map
i'm in comfy heaven

Pretty nice. How high does the sheer face over the volcano go?

>iqdb

about 10 z levels of mountain surrounding this fire pit baby, currently trying to build a tower on top of the magma tube.

>elves have "rights"

>dwarves have """ethics"""

>it's our wood not your wood

>dwarves
>lives underground
>claims to own the wood

>elves
>live in trees
>claims they don't own the wood
>dwarven "logic"

kosher wood isn't any different than the ordinary ditto

pls give me my money back

Fine it's not like I need your stupid short man money anyway, you can take your rock mugs back while your at it.

It's not dwarf wood either, it just is.

Think it'll still be comfy once a stray fire imp wanders out of that volcano and burns the whole map down?

yeah..

>elves
>live above ground
>claims to own subterranean wood

delete this

This web spining leech proven to be problem. 10 solders dead.
Part it's my fault with messed tactics of dealing with that thing.

Way it deals with it's prey is probably most horrible death described from what I encountered in game.

Also leech with shell - would that look similar to snail?

>mother is feeding child with lured pray
>child is playing with it's food

Just build floor over it and leave only holes for forges smelters.

what an actual nightmare, I seriously need to play more of this game.

Here's some df sketches for you good boys

Amazingly, very recently, I used minecarts when I was strong enough because the mental image of 5416 booze amused me.

I DEMAND you draw us a dfg banner.

Please.

sure, you mean like those Veeky Forums banners?
you got the dimensions?

The 468x60 one or the 300x100 one at the top?

whichever one you want

This fuck just went down almost 200z to the third cavern layer and started cleaning up blood off the cavern floor. Not only that, but he had to walk by a ton of other blood, including blood in the staircase he used to get here and the tunnel that granted access to the cavern, in order to reach these particular crundle blood spatters.

Just meant any sort of banner.

THAT DOESN'T EXPLAIN JACK SHIT user...

>dwarven education

What color scheme/graphics?

Ah then I will do a higher resolution banner, enjoy this while you wait.

Choosy dorfs choose, crundlegoop?

Looks great to me.

His custom solarized scheme and this tileset.

okay wtf.
fire just happened somehow in deep caverns below the surface. Fire literally climbed up the tunnels and is now burning things also ghouls are trying to get away from fire... the are running right into my fort. Anyone else experience random fires away from your fortress?

is there some kind pic related if you dig too deep.

It fire ants

> The bauxite blocks strikes the woodcutter in the upper body, bruising the muscle and bruising the liver through the (troll fur cloak)!
> The spinning bauxite blocks strikes the fisherdwarf in the left ear, but there is no force!
> The fisherdwarf slams into the woodcutter!
> The fisherdwarf slams into the cat!
> The spinning bauxite blocks strikes the dwarven baby in the right lower leg, but there is no force!
> The dwarven baby slams into the fisherdwarf!
> The bauxite blocks strikes the cat in the upper body, bruising the fat!
> The cat slams into the woodcutter!
> The dwarven baby slams into the cat!
> The bauxite blocks strikes the cat in the right rear leg and the injured part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
> An artery has been opened by the attack!
> The cat gives in to pain.
> The cat slams into an obstacle!
> The cat's right front leg takes the full force of the impact and the part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
> The cat's lower body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
> The cat looks sick!
> The cat's left rear leg takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
> The cat's upper body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the liver!
> The cat's left front leg takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
> The cat's left rear paw takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
> The bauxite blocks strikes the cat in the left rear leg, shattering the bone!

> The woodcutter slams into the cat!
> The cat vomits.
> The cat slams into the engraver!
> The woodcutter slams into the engraver!
> The cat slams into the cat!
> The cat slams into the woodcutter!
> The dwarven baby slams into the woodcutter!
> The bauxite blocks strikes the engraver in the head and the injured part is crushed!
> The dwarven baby slams into the engraver!
> The fisherdwarf slams into the engraver!
> The woodcutter slams into the cat!
> The engraver slams into the cat!
> The spinning bauxite blocks strikes the fisherdwarf in the right lower leg, but there is no force!
> The engraver slams into the cat!
> The woodcutter slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
> The cat slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
> The engraver slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
> The cat slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
> The fisherdwarf slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
> The dwarven baby slams into an obstacle and blows apart!

Nobody told me stairs were so dangerous.

Oh yeah, they're super dangerous. Especially if you've got a large string of them going through multiple z-levels.
If someone loses their footing for whatever reason, they're dropping right to the bottom, taking anyone and anything else along the way with them.

Got no idea.

Tileset is
Color scheme is tweaked vherid dark sand, CLA dwarves.

He could've chosen any crundlegoop. We've got a lot of crundlegoop. He passed up tons of prime crundlegoop for that crundlegoop in particular, and we may never know why.
It's actually because he was stationed there to shoot at bugbats a while back, and idle off-duty military dwarves have a weird quirk of sometimes tagging in at their last stationed location before looking for a new job to perform. I prefer to imagine that Zuglar is just neurotic, though.

looks like a hellish landscape...

How good is bronze as opposed to steel? I have nothing that will give me iron, and I've scoured pretty much everywhere that is reasonable without a military.

Whoops, meant for as well.

Nah, that's a different user using solarized.

I mean, stairs can be a little dangerous, but that's really not supposed to happen. There are some bug reports related to mass stair-death incidents that you might want to check out.

this is exactly why i hate seeing the 3x3 up/down meme in so many fortresses.

while spiral ramps may take 2-3 times more steps to get to the next z-level, they're far safer because you only drop 1-2 z-levels at most depending on the design. the only way to truely fall to your death with a spiral ramp is if it's a hollow center style and you get thrown off the edge by an attack, or stupidly dodge over it.

Whoops, got confused, I was thinking of the Vherid one.

One day we'll be able to bounce all the way down one of these.

I think this general was better around the times of DF2012. It recall it being more... neutral. This kind of friendliness on contemporary Veeky Forums feels like a faux pas. It's not the same sort of camaraderie 4channers had in the early years.

That said, it's a positive thing that one can express negative opinions without the thread devolving into a shitflinging fest. My little social experiment in the last thread (calling ninedots art shit) turned out even better than I had hoped, with people posting his best works and coincidentally culminating in .

Speaking of crundle goop...

Phiew it's finally done I hope you like it

How to make adventure companion to move in water? He got into the river, even fired his bow while i was fighting giant alligator(was a big surprise to jump into water and see the beast on the next tile to me), but now companion is just sitting in the river. He is perfectly fine(i tanked the alligator), but not moving nowhere.

Died of its injuries soon after.

Move away from the river and fast travel as soon as you can. You'll only need to move a single square in travel mode, when you drop out your companion will be beside you.

>this is exactly why i hate seeing the 3x3 up/down meme in so many fortresses.
Because of an extremely rare bug that only really applies to extremely long 1x1 staircases? Not the most sound reasoning.

What makes you think it's a bug?

It's on the bug tracker. Let me see if I can find it.

I liked the first one myself, but I'll save this one too.

Can someone explain to me a bit about how history works in this?

Like lets say I make an adventuer, and for the sake of the question, I cheat(im not) and I can kill everything in 1 hit.

I then clear EVERY goblin civilization but leave a few stragglers.

Will that impact Dwarf/Human/Elf forts wars against them making them much much more likely to win since I killed most goblins at every goblin pit except a handful?

Can my adventurer become sort of a legend that I can end up hearing about in my own fort in the same world EVEN IF I NEVER GO TO IT AS THE ADVENTURER?

I realize interacting with your adventurer is impossible in Fortress mode(except its allies)

Also, lets say I start at year 1 and I play to year 100 in a fort or as an adventurer(especally an adventuerer) does the world grow around me?

Will new fortresses and kingdoms/holds/etc... form over this time?

I love this history shit but im trying to fully grasp it.

New sites can be founded.

Armies are drawn from local populations.

Hearing about the deeds of an adventurer, seeing them show up in engravings, statues, and such happens.

Retiring an adventurer at a fort after joining the fort as a guard leaves them in place as part of the military.

New entities don't form on the scale of civilizations, just the local site founding civs.