Where's the filters?

Where's the filters?

I've always wondered this too. Afraid to ask. Someone please answer.

>ferrari

you guys don't even know that speed in = speed out? how do you expect to go fast if the air isn't going fast?

ITBs make noticeably less power with filters on. It also looks better to take them off for shows and stuff

>itb
Tripcunts everyone

Anyway the engines probably built for racing, it wont grenade itself. You can run strainers in carb throats if you expect big shit to go through your intake

They are carbs you fucking moron

What about dust and small rocks?

What are those things
I saw them on a v12 jag once
I think the roadkill guys have them on the gasser too
Can you put them on any car?

It's certainly not good to go without an air filter but if you just use the engine like 4 times a year it'll be alright.

Anyway carb strainers will be fine enough to keep put small rocks and leafs.
Tbqh if rocks are managing to make their way to your intake then you have some bigger problems to worry about.

There's still a throttle body in each carb barrel, asshats.

They're carburettors, it's what cars use to have before electronic fuel injection

Guy probably just unscrews it and cleans it every once in a while. Give the jets a spray with some compressed air. It'll be fine.

That's called a throttle butterfly, not a throttle body. They are called carbs, not itbs. Throttle body's have no fuel metering, they are literally there just to control the amount of air.

We all know he was just trying to be cool and name drop fuel injection shit.

I know what carburetor are
But what are those tube things called

Velocity stack

Cool thanks

Sigh... we really have lost allot of knowledge in the modern age...

It doesn't require a filter with the intakes funneled vertically like that, no debris can be expected to make it up there, and whatever dust might make it up there is likely thin enough to make it past the components of the carburetor to be torched into ash in the combustion process.

That which is the exception will be cleaned out of the carburetors when they are serviced before the next run.

The idea of tuning and cleaning a carburetor before each run is not a foreign concept to that generation, as tuning and cleaning the carburetor was a seasonal requirement anyways as the change in air density each season seriously compromised even the most basic and common engines power and efficiency.

Modern computer controlled, injected engines aren't meant to be constantly tuned and cleaned... you simply swap a filter every few dozen thousand miles and let the computer regulate the rest.

Back then, tuning was practically an art form.
Now, tuning an engine pretty much means "clean the injectors, swap the filters, and pretend you did a fuck load of work"

ahh yes because filters are only required if the intake is not vertical because ???

the only reason why you think cleaning the carbs is a regular thing is precisely because you don't have a filter

also you realize that fucking airplanes used carburetors in the past right? where the change in air density was less "nippy temperatures to non-nippy temperatures" and more "can breathe to cannot breathe"

It probably got trailered there. I drive to wherever the show is then remove the air filters so it looks better.

Go back and re-read what I just said.

Note the part where I mentioned "before each run"?

Those aren't meant for dumb fuck end consumers like yourself.

I'm disappointed that I had to scroll this far to find someone that called them by their name.

I've always heard of them as straight air intakes or something of the sort. Always knew what they did, and how they worked, but never the name.

It's nice to finally know.

I'm not the user who asked, though. That guy's soft in the head.

I don't think you understand that cleaning the carbs has nothing to do with the air intake and everything to do with fueling.

If you refer to the "trumpets" they are called "velocity stacks". The idea of them is to boost airflow at certain RPM in order to increase power, it's like a natural supercharger.

IIRC the benefits are marginal.

also known as bellmouths or trumpets. velocity stacks seems to be a predominantly american term

no, the benefits are significant

>no, the benefits are significant
>2-5% is significant
M8 taking the hood off your car so the engine can suck in cold air will do more than velocity stacks.
That's what you do when you're trying to get every last hp out that you can before you cave in for forced induction.

When you consider that turbulence from air cleaners can reduce power by as much as 10%, it's nothing m8.

For anyone wondering, these tubes are known as velocity stacks and what they do is eliminate a lot of the turbulence in the air as it goes into the engine. This makes the air give less resistance, so more can go in to the engine smoothly. A filter creates turbulence, so it defeats the purpose of the velocity stacks. As a side note they make engines sound super sexy too. Think of it as the bell of a trumpet in reverse.

>Gallardo

fail

seems like summer in here. i have been posting BBC all year

next one of you shits is going to say you dont even have the formula to determine optimal intake runner length

theres nothing like a BBC making more than 700hp

Remember seeing one with cute little air filters for each intake

>yolo
>car explodes in a fire ball on the finish line (hopefully)
squash ball master race

filters are boring to look at so they obviously took them off for a photo
why would anyone here know where they temporarily placed them?

you mean socks?

Mazda developed variable length intakes for the 787b

Cool idea.

placed what?

the filters, obviously.
can't you read and follow conversations?

they make little caps for keeping the motor safe

there is this kind, but they are dyno proven to kill power.

and these probably are just on for a car show. no way can these help the motor

>t. baby boomer
Go back to twiddling with ur carbs

Mine sucks them filters in.
Even sucks in the metal ones.
hence now i am not using any filters anymore.

Shut the fuck up, you don't know anything.

You can call them whatever the fuck you want

>2v pushrod v8
>McLaren

kek

it was faster than their grand prix car
0/10

i want to drive it.
that BBC

its got to be one of those cars where your neck hurts for days after one lap

Airplanes still use carbs, almost universally

whats the point of mentioning airplanes in that argument? carbs need to be tunes in all changes of air density and temperature. Air planes use a manual control in the cockpit to change air/fuel mixtures of their carbs during flight.

>there exist people on this planet right now that will take this bait

ur mum is their to to contrawl da amont of air o snab

more like grand pricks lol hahaha

edit: thanks for the gold kind stranger!

>he wears protection