ONE JOB

comfy

hi

i've been here since 2013 and this is the worst post i've ever seen

FUCKING STEAMSHITTERS

will there be bottle deposit collecting sidequests

Posting my animation again because I love it
>Now with 100% more shilling!

Does this layout seem easily readable/usable?

Does the more angular design stick out too much or do you think it could work if the environments are more angular?
Or would the round characters throw it off regardless?

this is the tumblr artist put in charge of the art for the new game tonydixob.tumblr.com/
go follow him if you like it so much

Working on my GB Jam game.

it seems fine

>cheers love, the cavalry's here

i like the blue thing going on user. its pretty and it stands out from the usual green, even if it goes against the norm

My bad, I shouldn't have sticked my dick in her pussy right after fucking her asshole.

I have no idea how shaders work

Didn't art all day, even though I wanted to.

How do I smooth out these edges? The blur tool seems too strong, no matter what I set it to.
Using Photoshop by the way.

I was literally just messing with this

Use the magic wand tool to select outside of the skull, then go to selection -> feather and use a setting of 2 pixels or so. Then hit delete, and it'll delete around the edges, but in a way that is gradual

Pic related, I accidentally a disabled/ghost/undiscovered image by doing the same thing, but inverting my selection before feathering, so it deletes everything INSIDE the image except a bit around the edges

yeah alright, I admit I was a little harsh. It's because your image annoys me. You clearly put effort into the perspective on the top path, so it's frustrating that you then proceeded to not do that for the road. Not only is it a waste of the effort you put into the path for the house, it also cheapens the overall image because of the clashing perspectives. It honestly is like two different people each worked on half of the image, and it just looks bad. If you want to keep it as is then that's your choice, but you deserve to know that your extra efforts on the house walkway were wasted on this image because of the comparatively sloppy execution on the road.

antialiasing, my friend. do it manually.

hey you need a praying mantis Monk, or maybe Cleric

but those 34 people are yesdevs

why focus on the negative?

non-AGDG devs can't be yesdevs

That's not how skulls work. Here, no need to thank me.

Thanks anons.
Also, to me it looks more like a gorilla skull. Is that just me? It's supposed to be a human skull.

dont worry, i agree with pretty much all of that
yeah, it does look cheap. right now im not going to concern myself with it too much as it makes for a decent placeholder and starting point.
ill still play around with the road and see if i can get it to look more in perspective. my main concern in breaking the 32px x 32px grid. ill see what i can do though

thanks for the advice user. i also apologize if i got pissy/defensive

i should have said out of those 34 there were some /agdg/ yesdevs

You guys know of any "cool" looking lowpoly art styles? Being a one man army I won't be able to afford a lot of polygons, timewise. But straight up copying Necropolis would be quite obvious.

Also, are there any good resources/tutorials for creating an art style?

why can't we ever have a thread without bringing up race

Low poly takes more time/practice to look good.

I have a few mantis NPCs but I might need to scale them down

They're different skills.

A competent 2D artist can make good low poly without much 3D practice because it's all texture work.

I'd recommend trying to reduce unnecessary details. Like, I don't know exactly what your game is, but judging by the images shown, I'm assuming the road is a major focal point? If so, does the house really need to take up as much space on-screen as it does? I feel like you might be able to optimize the image to free up more space for where it counts.

But that's just a thought. I realize you are already in a crunch and probably still have the important part to do, so take it as you will.

We all get pissy sometimes, I appreciate you continuing the dialog so that we could move past that point and do some proper communication. Sorry that I flew off the handle. Good luck on your game.

Yeah I agree it's not easy, but creating some AAA graphics isn't an option either.

do you have a centipede NPC who gives you a side quest to fetch 72 pairs of slippers?

No but I might consider that idea

well it's mostly textures, so look for older 3D games, where they had to do most/all of the character detail in textures due to not being able to push complex meshes. Mega Man Legends and Wind Waker are two popular examples, also Jet Set Radio.

I think Looney Tunes: Space Race on Dreamcast is a fantastic example. Pic related. Grainy as fuck but imagine it minus the grain (and possibly smoothed out due to the obvious bump in modern hardware power compared to its original platform).

how about a firefly who is pretty much the game's torch

Yesterday I finished rendering ripples on the world's best umbrella (as well as in-out animations) but I passed out in my chair so I couldn't post it.

IDEA GUY HERE
MAKE A YELLOW GAME

really nice

and he stops the player before key points to say stuff like "you know, this is one amazing journey that we've gone on, I only wish I was more than a fucking lamp"

Left or right?

It's my first time at pixel art, any suggestion on how to improve the character?

Thanks user.

Yeah, the road is the playing field. It's basically an auto-scroller. Since the background goes by pretty quickly, it would probably be a lot better for me to reduce the details since the player most likely won't notice them.

My biggest problem with adding perspective to the road is that the sidewalks clearly are not in perspective (at least regarding angles that point to the horizon). Since the background scrolls, I'm pretty much forced to keep them straight since the camera is shifting perspective. However you were right, changing the perspective even a little helped a lot, and I didn't have to make any sacrifices.

> Good luck on your game.
Thank you, user. If you're making a game as well, then good luck to you too.

Yeah that's pretty interesting. I'll look into that on youtube, ty. Wind Waker was also one of my favorite games but it didn't even cross my mind desu.

right, looks like he wants to bop his knees so i dig it

we decided in the last thread that piss is a no-no for games

this is the concept art sketch of it

I hate how it turned into pacman when in pixel art

To be honest*

We have a list of bugs we want to add to the game, and also what each of them will do/sidequests and stuff.
We have a firefly butler for a wasp lady but I might remake him. So far the bug type we have the most of are moths, but we think ants and bees will take over them later when we draw more

why don't I remember Gameboy games being so green? I remember a more beige-ish color.

Will you have garden snakes be like dragons?

why does game maker do this shit?

because nobody loved you and bought you the light attachment for playing it on the train into the city

[Speedrunning intensifies]

That flip animation is extremely outputting

I don't like that

I'll think about it, though I wanted to avoid nonbug creatures since making big sprites is complicated, like this spider shows. I am not satisfied with how it looks like and I might redo it

I thought this as well, I always play them on the oldboy android emulator and they look lighter, almost beige; but when I've looked up the official gb palette it only has 4 colors and it's indeed far more greenish.

I guess I remembered it less greenish because of the screen glare or something, and that's probably the reason for which the creator of the android emulator made it look like that.

right, looks like he wants to bop his knees so i dig it

Noice

Thanks for the feedback
Even if I don't know what "bop his knees" means

If I'm working on making a Final Fantasy like rpg, what engine should I use. RPG maker is too limited. I've been trying to use love2d, but can't figure out how to do the tile based map system / movement.

You're using 6 colors.

That is a nice improvement, and yeah, depending on scroll speed you probably don't need to worry much about background detail, after all the main point of any background in a scrolling game is to demonstrate that the player object is indeed moving (sometimes at ludicrous speed, you can fuck with the background scroll speed to really imply some zany levels of fast).

The touches to the road are a good improvement. I understand now the issue with the sidewalks, that would be a pain in the dick to make scroll properly while maintaining consistent perspective.

As for opening up more space, my recommendation would be to move the house and yard up to fill that area of sky, or to move the road downward into that blank space currently reserved for score and (presumably) other info. In fact, I would definitely do that. Move the road down into the score zone, and move the scoring info to the top of the screen (so put it in a row above the house). As it is the score zone is using a lot of space (most GB games were very sparing to the score sections and kept their details very low to save on space for the game visuals). You could trim it down to probably half that vertical height and then scale your letters down vertically to fit, and I think that would help. On top of that though, I would move the score info to the top of the screen, because you already have that empty space over the house anyway, so why not put it to use? Players are pretty used to HUDs that float over the in-game 'sky' so I don't think it would ruin your intended illusion of the sky being present in the image, and you would free up valuable space at the bottom of the screen. See pic related as an example of a GB title where putting the score on top helped a lot to open up visual space.

Is the main character Samus' autistic brother? :)

I think the current flip animation might look nicer if it were slower. I know approximately nothing about graphics, though, and can't paint for ship.

But so far three peeps've warned you something looks weird about the somersaults.

Thanks, that's looks pretty good. I literally cannot into art.
How do you feel about glowing red eyes?

OHRRPGCE

don't count the black line in the middle, I've put it there to separate the two images.
And yes, I've "cheated" with an extra light green to make the character outline to make it clearly stand out from the background, but it was for test purposes, that color won't be there in the final game

and for the record, the text there is a tiny 7x7 per character. The entire font is that scale.

youtube.com/watch?v=eVo667hcJSs

yeah, the wider they are the more weird they look when turning.

I remember seeing my first horse in Ultima VII and it just looked horrible when changing direction

>professor lock

the ripples look good, but jar majorly against the everything else on screen.

I'm not counting the middle black line, There's a second dark color in your sprite as well as the extra lightest color.

thanks, I've learned something new

Yes that's what I want him to do while in idle, slightly bounce on his long legs

Anyone have any cool ideas for a 3D, action RPG, dungeon crawler, roguelike's unique selling points?

Right now I'm thinking about Medium Range Magic combat with a heavy emphasis on physics/destructables. I'm open to any ideas though.

skeleton eyes glow red, they just do. if people don't like it they should take it up with God for making it that way.

Fun tip kids at home, want to draw on a capacitance touch device but don't want your hand to activate the screen? Just put a glove on! That way your skin won't contact the screen and throw your pen off.

photoshop must've added it when compressing the image.
I've drawn it using the 4 color gameboy palette so it shouldn't be present in the original low res file

I'll check, thanks for pointing that out.

>But so far three peeps've warned you something looks weird about the somersaults.
More like thirty, but I'm still not going to fix placeholders because it's a waste of time, especially since I'm going to drop pixelart altogether.

Yeah, that's a given when mixing pixelart with different rendering. I will review it when I get new artstyle.

what if you played as a dick that violating things

and you're questing for the world's greatest onahole or something

This is what the Game boy looked like, if not like this, then like the next image.

Armored and fit mages

Just think about it. If a mage actually lifted, wore an armor and got skilled with swords he would be almost invincible

Is it actually a roguelike? I'm assuming no.

What you said sounds cool. You could have a spell crafting system where you combine elements and shapes to create new abilities.

How many people are working on this game?

Both taken from the SNES gameboy player, I'ved played gameboys that looked like the second, but in my experience they tend to look like the first one.

meant to quote

they generally argue that if you get fit then you can't have time to learn shit either

oh man i remember these games
i remember that one harvest moon game where you could be a boy or a girl, but i always picked the girl and wondered why i could never get anything done, and found out years later the girl had way less energy than the boy

The gameboy didn't have any colors, it was just 4 shades of grey, whatever color it looked like was the tint from the screen.

I've got 2 gameboys here with me, we're all forgetting something very important: they had a contrast slider. The official colors are 4 shades of intense green, but everybody played it with the contrast set like in the first picture you posted because it was a good balance between optimal visibility and different shades of green.

The moral is that you can use any of those two, when creating a "tribute" game, since they're both right

I misread that and pictured a mage who goes around levitating people and then stabbing them

Correct, but they were tinted to be a green-yellow color.

Everyone seems to disagree on what that tint actually was, but these are the "official" colors as taken from an actual SNES running an actual GB cart.

kek

well it's normally like that in the real world as well, but sometimes you can find a very muscular and skilled programmer, for example. It may be rare but it's possible, look for example Andrea Pessino (the Ready at Dawn programmer)

why can't he stab them while they're on the ground? It would be easier, I think.

Unless you've got a very long sword, of course. But then just stab them from afar

Here he is with his lower jaw.