> 2018
> Tesla Model 4 P100D
> AWD 5-seater saloon with a fuck ton of storage space
> Roof and rear glass one continious mesh of transparent solar panels
> 0-60mph in under 2.5 seconds
> 10-second quarter miles
> 300 mile range, extended 50-70% when driving in direct sunlight

Where we're you when Musk make performance cars irrelevant?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NQ_g1gg8uUs
cbronline.com/news/mobility/devices/samsung-motorola-and-huawei-5-fast-charging-smartphones-with-good-battery-life-4878362
newatlas.com/solar-cell-electricity-efficiency-world-record-unsw/43384/?li_source=LI&li_medium=default-widget
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>drive for half a lap
>battery overheats and catches fire
>performance

This

I can see thermal run away happening a lot

This, if I put the turbo from a semi truck on a subaru I could probably match those numbers with similar reliability.

>beaten by 90s Honda eeconboxes past 80mph
lol

>saloon
Wat

Cornering and turns it wouldn't be sending close to full power to the wheels, and its a giant fucking computer it can be programmer to govern output and mitigate heat. Not different than clocking your processor. If Elon really has developed lightweight transparent solar cells, he's going to do a lot more than just cars with it.

>0 reliability
At the end of the day a Toyota or a Lexus is always a billion miles a better purchase and reliable.

I call bullshit
This

Pretty sure that's a model three.

>when we are you when
I was dead for 250 years and electric cars finally didn't take fucking forever to charge

Tesla Model Ss do laps of the Burgerring just fine.

They don't put up impressive times but they can do hot laps with out harm.

Model 3 owners will have to pay to use supercharger network.

CEO Elon Musk officially confirmed the Model 3 would have a base range of 215 miles with larger battery versions likely hitting 250 miles. Musk also re-affirmed that the Model 3 would cost $35,000 before tax incentives, undercutting the $38,000 Chevy Bolt. Finally, Tesla said orders would begin being fulfilled in 2017.

youtube.com/watch?v=NQ_g1gg8uUs

Why are people so asspained about Tesla charging for options?

Tesla needs to get the Model 3 price down low. So that the commuter crowd can buy them.

If that means charging them a few thousand here and there for autopilot, supercharger, increase battery capacity. Then they will do that.

Yes, the 5000lbs Model S has made it around the ring in under 9 minutes. The smaller lighter models of the future, with some heat-management/power performance governor software, could brake the ring record. In fact, I'm calling it. 6 minutes 30 seconds around the ring from an EV by 2020.

I would love it if this were true, but
>300 mile range, extended 50-70% when driving in direct sunlight
could not be more bullshit. Those things take tens of kilowatts to cruise, and hundreds when accelerating like that. You'd be lucky to get 1 kW from solar panels covering the whole car.

I average 4-4.5 miles per kilowatt hour. in my LEAF( a fucking leaf!)

And you would be right if you're talking about 10 year old tech. Like batteries, they are getting smaller and more efficient. Did you know Hauwie just patented a 50% charge in 5 min for their phone batteries?

> patented
So you will have to pay out re ass to use it, that's not gonna work for a mass produced product.

I also call bullshit on that, there are at least three or four claims like that made each year.
Grant trolling is an industry of it's own.

Just under 9 minutes is slow as fuck

And it uses 50% in 2 and a half minutes?

cbronline.com/news/mobility/devices/samsung-motorola-and-huawei-5-fast-charging-smartphones-with-good-battery-life-4878362

Compared to what? What else is doing that while weighing 2.5 tons and seating for 5?

Charging speed means very little.
If I leave my headlights on for a while then go start my car, it can charge from 9 volts (minimum that it can start at) to 14.5 volts in about 30 seconds and have enough current to jumpstart a big-rig, by drawing almost 100 amps from the alternator.

Sound like black magic? Nope, I've got capacitors under the hood instead of a battery, so it can charge and discharge extremely fast, but has far less capacity than a normal battery. It only takes about 30 seconds of cranking the engine without starting to run them flat.

Slower than a fucking range Rover
And a model s has never ever lapped the ring in under 9 minutes

Until they produce a working commercial model, I consider it vaporware. I have seen dozens of new bat tech promised over the years, all where BS (A123 being the only exception)
Be free to believe what you want, but I've seen too many of these empty promises to buy into them automatically.

Example--New world record set for converting sunlight to electricity

>Read the comments it's all bin there done that.

newatlas.com/solar-cell-electricity-efficiency-world-record-unsw/43384/?li_source=LI&li_medium=default-widget

>performance
>falls off hard after reaching 60
I'm still not seeing it m8.

Longer battery life sounds good but it'd still be useless for road trips. Pity too, because it sounds like a nice boat.

Tesla might be the Apple of cars but Musk does try his best to pump out something cool. Solar seems a good way to go but you'll be doubly fucked in hail.

I mean there's almost every bmw M car that does it in under or just above 8 minutes.
Even the X5 did it in 7:50

it's the gearing.

Teslas are geared with a single speed. That provides WEEEEEE acceleration up to highway speed limits. While not affecting range significantly.

Even a gasoline car with such a transmission set up would be suffering the same problems.

It'll be great for stoplight racing, sure. And costs almost nothing to run in comparison to the sport sedans that would outperform it.

That puts it at the top of its price range in a single aspect of performance; 0 to 60. Which isn't a bad thing for what is essentially the ultimate appliance car, but it's silly to tout it as a sports car.

it has the performance where the consumer actually needs and can use it. Which is accelerating onto highways.

So what if a AMG S class sedan can go 200 mph. No one, other than some handful of people with autobahn and burgerring access can actually use that performance.

You've never belted down an empty highway at full speed in the dead of night?

Sure, it's a no-no. Wouldn't want to hit any invisible kids crossing the six lanes, would we? But lets face it; there's nobody around and even the cops can't be fucked at this hour. Why not go wild?

The only people who buy performance models and don't "misuse" them are rich housewives.

Question, I can't find li ion battery patent expiration date.

Are they like the Disney of the battery industry. This is the major reason for new Battery research to get around it"s patents...The patents on some NiMH battery have expired .

Tesla released most of their patents to public use with no royalties.

UM Tesla never has hadand never will have ANY battery tech...
They use 1865 Panasonic laptop batteries, like 7,00 per car. The model 3 will use 2070 Panasonic laptop batteries. All Tesla has is cooling tech and they allow the batteries to discharge to a lower rate than industry standards.

=7,000 per car
=has had and never will have ANY battery tech...

We have no good patents, So we will give em away. At least it's good PR

>completely uninspired dashboard
>giant ipad in the center because they were to lazy and cheap to build a proper dashboard with nobs and shit

>capacitors
how well do those work exactly? how much capacity do they leak if you leave your car sitting?

>Someone smashes the roof Glass
>Have to pay $10k to replace it.

I want to ask why anyone would do this then I remember niggers and salty salty poorfags exist in America.

They're everywhere, recently a whole street of cars had their windows smashed in Melbourne.
Sometimes this happens and nothing is actually stolen.

>govern output and mitigate heat

By going slowly for extended periods of time. Have fun keeping up with that BMW you were supposed to be faster than.

>Melbourne
That's just how Sudanese youths are. They probably shouldn't have imported so many of the useless black cunts but "diversity is strength", no?

Fair enough though, everywhere in the West has its shitty minorities. At least Abos keep to themselves.

Yeah, abos are usually okay. Most of the Elders are pretty chill, it's the young ones you have to watch out for.

They're even less of an issue in Brissie. You get the occasional "mah land" rally but by day they're either drunk and passed out on public seating or hiding. You get angry blackfellas looking to have a go at the coppers and drunk white girls in the Valley at night, though.

I'm surprised that didn't make the news, though. Sounds like the place is turning into a mini Mogadishu.

The capacitors themselves don't really leak any appreciable amount of charge, but the parasitic load of various electronics is annoying.

When the doors are locked and alarm is set, it draws about 25-ish milliamps, which was enough to run them down enough to just barely be able to start 24 hours later, but I worked around that by sticking the old, worn out battery in the trunk and running a very small cable to connect them (ethernet cable to be specific).

The result is that the battery doesn't have to do anything other than keep the voltage up while it sits, and gets a very low charge current when running.

The capacitors also make the car pretty much completely immune to the cold (which is part of why I did it in the first place). A couple years back, I started it at -15°F like it was the middle of summer. And it could re-start the engine without even dimming the headlights when I stalled the engine a couple of times trying to plow through snow higher than the scrape plate.

I grew up in country Victoria. The abos in school (there were only ever 2-3 Max at a time) would always group up and pick fights. Most of the time they grow up into peace pot heads, about about 20% stay violent.

>The abos in school (there were only ever 2-3 Max at a time) would always group up and pick fights
Seems to be how they operate. They don't like the idea of fair fights and equal numbers.

I've never actually seen Abos driving up here.

Not the guy that asked, but THNX nice bit of TIL

Their claims of 2017 are a little misleading. My friend is on the waiting list, his car is "scheduled" to be delivered to him in 2018.

It's more like "we'll start building and getting the first batch of cars sometime in 2017".

>drive for half a lap
98% of the Teslas are not even gonna see a race track.

>driving a passenger EV on a racetrack.

I belted down an empty highway at 15 over the limit in the dead of night once
I got pulled over

I belted down the highway at double the speed limit for 30 miles and didn't get pulled over.

Just down to luck, I guess.

Even an average performance car buyer takes his car to the race-track only a very handful of times.

LOL
LOL
LOL

Here's what's doing it, while loaded with fucking options and luxury.

The new porsche panamera.

Ride in a real luxury sedan that can put down like 7:38 i believe it was?

Tesla is a step in the right direction but get off musk's dick.