Why do diesel cars exist

why do diesel cars exist

why do europeans drive diesels and americans dont

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/178405748
youtube.com/watch?v=5Az_Xbfxl-c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The government in the UK changed the rule in the early 2000s that tax was to be based on CO2 emissions, which modern diesel cars perform better in and therefore are cheaper to tax.

Fuel is also more expensive here and the marketing and general public attitude is very much focussed on fuel economy, and diesel cars perform better in the tests making them appear more economical.

The modern ones drive pretty well, and the majority of the motoring public (i.e. normal people, not car enthusiasts) like them because all the power is in the middle of the powerband. Give the throttle a prod at medium revs and it will go as opposed to a traditional NA petrol which needs to be revved to get the performance. They can feel a lot faster than they are due to this.

We are slowly going back to petrol cars though, it is very easy to give a small petrol engine mid range shove with a turbo and they do well in the tests too. Modern diesel engines can also be financially devastating when they break which is helping the move too.

There are also lots of diesel pickups etc in America.

Is diesel able to provide more torque or something? Why do most heavy machines run on diesel?

Not him, but generally yes diesel engines produce fuckloads of torque compared to gasoline engines.

That said, your typical .9L Euro shitbox won't produce much power or torque.

cheap, reliable, mah torque

I would love if there were more diesel cars here, but unfortunately they dont make many of them for american markets.

Ill stick to my diesel trucks.

Bensiini is 1.4€/L here, diiseli is 0.8€/L here and many modern 2L diisel cars (passats for example) get between 4.5-6L/100km while most small engine bensiin cars can go down to ~5, they're still more expensive. Diisels are mainly for people who drive a lot per year, like close to 150km every day.

Pic related as I have to drop 80€ to get a full tank as a student.

i have a 20 year old diesel truck that gets better milage than one of my motorcycles

>Bensiini
Up all night drinking, Pekka?

To add to this, aren't US emissions based more on NOx? I guess diesel produces more, while producing less CO2 compared to gasohol engines so diesel is gud for EU emissions laws while not so gud for US emissions laws.

>"Look honey this sheet here says the petrol engine does 35mpg while the diesel says 53mpg"
>"Yes but the diesel is 1000£ more expensive how are you going to-"
>"It gets better fuel economy and diesel is cheaper so I will save a lot of money when I drive 5000 miles a year I'll take the diesel"

Although to be honest since diesel engines get a lot more torque than equivalent HP petrol ones and considering we are raped if we buy high HP engines a small diesel is more enjoyable than a small petrol.

>small diesel is more enjoyable than a small petrol.
the sound it makes is just horrible though

Mostly cos US laws are based around Nox emissions which diesels suck at.

Also gas is cheap enough that when we say 'econobox' in US or Canada we're referring to a compact car. Like a corolla. Which still makes 130 hp out of a 1.8 liter 4 banger, and gets a nice 32 mpg highway.

A European econobox is a tiny little hatch back making MAYBE 100 hp from a 1.5 or something. Some even tinier.

Diesel is more fuel efficient, so to get that MPG Eurocars like diesel. It's also OK because Europe generally cares less about NOx and more about CO2

Also diesel is better at heavy duty applications, it has better low end torque, however diesel engines have shit top end everything and can't rev as high as gasoline either.

Also America is america and i want my damn v8, and gas is cheap so who gives a fuck?

>a small diesel is more enjoyable than a small petrol.

That's not true. While diesel has better torque, it can't rev as high as a gasoline and it doesn't have as much top end as gasoline does.

>>That's not true. While diesel has better torque, it can't rev as high as a gasoline and it doesn't have as much top end as gasoline does.
>hurr, muh gutless petrol engine can 1k more than a diesel equivalent

vimeo.com/178405748
Is this horrible? lol

>Getting this triggered
>Gutless petrol engine
Nah Eurocuck, i have more than 1 liter of displacement and more than 4 cylinders. Enjoy your diesel shitbox.

t. murrican with a freedom 12L vee eight making 147hp

Mainly Smiles per Gallon.
Its almost impossible for a nowadays diesel to waste much.
It literally doesnt matter if you hammer the pedal because it still manages to get high mpg.
Having a diesel in general saves you a lot more money.
They are a ton more reliable and are pretty much built to be beaten.

Only sound and smaller revs are the real downside of diesels for the average buyer. And those are non issue in daily driving

>Buttmad europoor with 50hp diesel.

Also
*Canadian, 4.6l, 280 hp.

>needing almost 5L to get 280hp
>meanwhile there are 2L diesels putting out 300hp and a fuckload more torques than his obsolete engine
I'm dying here LOL

Diesels soundz like shit. Im literally never going to drive another dieshit

The new Range Rover Diesel versions are really silent that you can't even hear the diesel engine starting. Check the videos to it.

>What is a detuned engine
>What is an engine that lasts a million miles and then some
>I know nothing about cars

I know you've never even seen an engine with more than 100hp, but you should really learn what under stressing is.

Okay grandpa.
You obviously never heard about efficiency.

>What is a detuned engine
>What is an engine that lasts a million miles and then some
>I know nothing about cars

>Drives 4.6l 280hp

Literally everything you said goes against your car

>smaller revs
as if people are gonna go above 70 mph

you people make it sound like it's a race or something

>Tries to tell others something he himself knows nothing about
Lol, 25 mpg highway. Stay buttmad europoor.

It's a pantherbody, these things last forever.

They can be tuned plus cam replacement to over 300 hp, that's how much the mustang with the same gets, but why do that? The whole point of these is that they start get to 3000 and just stay there forever.

Thats why I said its a non issue in daily driving.
But if you feel like you would want to release your inner racer once in a while, then I'm sure you'd rather have some kind of honda s2000 revs.
Still, there are very fast diesels reaching high mph though

>25mpg
lol, is that supposed to be impressive?
My car does 60mpg (US gallons) highway always averaging 120km/h.

>panther body
>I like to pretend I'm a cop
kys

>lincoln town cars and grand marquis means you're a faux cop
Gas yourself tripfag

>I like to drive underpowered shitty murrican cars made for old people

You wouldn't understand without ever driving one of those boats. They are something special.

I'm driving an old Ford van right now with a V8 and RWD and it is sketchy as fuck but I love it. They got character. Shakes like hell at 65mph but just floats along at 80mph.

Typically smaller displacement has engines have closer to 3 to 4k higher rev range, and much wider torque band than diesel equivalents

>My car does 60mpg (US gallons) highway always averaging 120km/h.
Cool, how nice, i'm sure your 1.0 liter diesel shitbox also has air ride, 5000lb towing and a comfy interior.

No, they don't. Generally a N/A petrol engine revs to 6,2/6,5k.
Diesels nowadays rev to 5k.

If I wanted comfy, as in truly comfy, I'd buy a Citroen with hydroactive suspension.
And as far as I'm concerned, my car has a comfy enough interior for a DD.

obligatory

>my car has a comfy enough interior for a DD.
That's because you've never owned anything better than your cheap plastic interior.

Just to be clear, all you guys should mention that you compare turbo to turbo or turbo to n/a [same displacement] competitor; plus, what we are generalizing: "60% of people in this country drive diesel cars" or "60% of brand new cars buyers chooses diesel"?
Cheers.
t. 0.9l petrol owner

>this coming from a guy with american landbarges
lol, as if you're the one to talk about quality materials.

Will your Citroen make it to 300k km with minimal maintenance and repars?

Of course it would.
>gentle reminder there are Citroen C5 and C6s being used as taxis in Europe.
>many with more than a million kms

>Still butmad his shitboxs plastic parts and mostly broken

>many with more than a million km
The thing is that's like the norm for these panthers if they don't get rekt first

>why do diesel cars exist
Because they're better.

>why do europeans drive diesels and americans dont
Because Europeans are smarter than Americans.

>this is american """""""luxury""""""""
Can't make this shit up.

I would love to drive that thing in like 96

where is the luxury?
that looks less luxurious than a maxima

not necessarily 1.0 litre diesels
my friends remapped BMW 3 litre diesel is pushing about 330 hp and it still does about 43 US mpgs on highways
Diesels are pretty gud, its also much cheaper than petrol in Europe

>Comfy as fuck/10

With any form of competent modifications, you will improve the vehicle.

There are guys that drag race diesel and while they're not getting good mpg, they get enough torque to lift the entire vehicle off the ground.

No point in arguing about modified vehicle.

>Diesels are pretty gud, its also much cheaper than petrol in Europe
That last part is pretty much it, Europe it's cheaper to own diesel. I want a dodge Ram with a Cummins turbo thoe, that shit sounds good.

>diesels
>good
>smarter for driving diesels
>but they pollute more, are no cheaper and suck

yeah except the only ''modification'' is a $200 ECU remap, the car does 286 hp fully stock (E60 535d)
Diesels are great for remaps/chip tuning because factory turbo

Crew cab + lid on truck bed + lowering kit

you now have a diesel sedan in US and A.

A FUCKING DIESEL PUNTO

We have different tests and standards for emissions of diesels and gasoline cars.
So no.

people say diesels are expensive to service.
But i have no fucking idea what they mean.
You change the oil and filter, and thats it. service done.
Maybe air filter and fuel filter for a big service, but that's still cheap as fuck.

Stop spewing shit. I have to deal with knobheads like you all day long because some faggot told them remaps pose no problems.

Knackered injectors.
Broken manifolds.
Busted turbos.
DMF and clutch failures.

And many more.

Yeah remaps are fun, to a certain point. And they're certainly not free of problems as you pose them,

Again saying shit. You been proven wrong over and over again. Why do you keep humiliating yourself?

It's more expensive

3.9L per 100Km

lel

Fill up your tank, do 100Km and refill it again.

You're a clown.

Diesels rev up to, profitably, to 4000 rpm. And that's only for some motors. Your shit fiat for instance is of no use above 3700. 5000 is the redline for most and you're just mowing cylinders.

Your car is a piece of shit and you're a piece of shit shitposter. GTFO.

>he doesn't replace his injector pump every 6000 miles
top wew

Coming from an european also.

Gentle reminder those are exceptions and nowhere near the rules.

Dismiss anything this retard posts.

how do modern diesel engines perform in low ass temps?

>tfw diesel Benz
Its really not that great

>drive 1.5l d15b6 swapped ef civic
>62hp and 45mpg
>redlines at like 4000

Efficiency over lots of miles, torque, the vibrations of that low rumbling, uses the same fuel as the tractor, turbos.

I'm european, but don't drive a diesel because I don't like having to manage a narrow power band when I can just stomp on the accelerator and go.

The main reason why diesels are popular is taxation. Some decades ago scientists came to an understanding that diesels were a lot more efficient and a lot less damaging to the environment. As a result of this a lot of european governments lowered taxes and fees on diesel vehicles and diesel fuels.

Now they are realizing the amount of NoX they put out, and are reversing the whole thing

GLOW PLUGS
L
O
W

P
L
U
S

And block heaters and keeping the fuel tank and lines warm. Diesel still likes to gel up when it is really cold.

Stay fucking running 24/7 unless there's a heater on hand to stop the fuel gelling.
You can probably have an integral fuel heater and insulated fuel lines, but that's expensive as fuck compared to an immersion heater in the fuel tank running off an APU.

all I want to know is. to go fast which is better? diesel or gasoline

On the highway, dumbass.

It makes all its power at 3000 and all it's torques at 1750. Yet it revs to 5000. I'm not seeing any issues with that :)

They're still a lot more efficient.

>Now they are realizing the amount of NoX they put out, and are reversing the whole thing
Where? Diesel cars are still the most sold.

>still being this butthurt

up to 330hp is still safe within a stage 1 ecu tune for the 535d

what if

we made a diesel v12

wouldnt that be fun

better than the 4.6l 280hp piece of shit burger drives lol.... handles way better and is probably faster with half the horsepower

The US Government hates diesel. I'd bet they'd outlaw it if they could. At the rates its going, I can see major diesel engine manufacturers going to court when inevitably the Government regulates something stupid onto them.

Pretty sure only faggofornia does... What are they going to run the millions of semi trucks and trains off of? Pixie dust and dreams?

The armed police use them here

Quite fine. Efficient glow plugs, engine with proper air measurements and strong batteries do wonders.

Also, if you live in a cold-ass place you'll pretty much only ever find winter diesel in those temperatures, which is a much lower gelification point than the standard diesel you'll find in warmer places/summer.

Still, when its -32c out its fucking nice to have a block heater for those easy starts, good MPG's and instant warm air

at one point in time, europeans were so uneducated and unintelligent that they thought carbon dioxide emissions were the worst, if not the only, component of automobile emissions, and that civillian traffic was responsible for the majority of global emissions

now they're breathing smog, melting alive in acid rain, and dying of lung cancer while their cars limp around with fifty pounds of emissions equipment per cyllinder (autist note: hyperbole), something so impairing that VW tried to avoid using it.

americans use diesel when they want lots of towing capacity and range for cheap, so basically never in cars unless they're hipsters or parking-impaireds that want to avoid trucks at all costs

Kek

>faggofornia

Which the rest of North America is forced to bow to so their customers can even drive in the state.

And ya, if they could get trucks and trains to run, even if was for 5 seconds, off of anything that wasn't petroleum, they'd make it law and give automakers 5 years to make it work.

Thats a good VW joke, but it could have been funnier. 6/10

Cheao? Lol wut? Reliable? Wuut?

> Audi a4
> quattro
> 3.0 tdi
Fuck, im hot now

Detroit Diesel has
it was a two-stroke too, like all the other DDs
they screamed like banshees
and you are damn right its fun

Fuel economy

>6,2/6,5k
>he never saw a japanese engine

politicians randomly go between "buy diesel cars and have some less tax on that" and "don't buy diesel cars, here's a diesel tax"

people are giving up and just buying electric

my parents have a 150bhp diesel light van. it has one of the most pleasant throttle responses I've ever tried

Have a diesel as winter car. Starts also at -20°C. Battery is more of an issue. We have winter diesel here from auntumn until spring (Austria).

Diesel is cheeper here if you drive a certain (not so high) amount of km p. a. here. Taxation favours diesel for environmental reason, even though this is not undisputed because of the disadvantages of diesels. Currently there is an EU wide program to lower the emissions of new cars over the next years (AdBlue, Euro-6 and taxes).

youtube.com/watch?v=5Az_Xbfxl-c

70MPG master race reporting in

>CrownVicOutline.jpg

my father used to have the 2.5 tdi and it pulled like a train and went through snow like it was nothing

diesel has a higher energy content then gas so you get more power per gallon. Thats why it gets better fuel economy

>Also America is america and i want my damn v8, and gas is cheap so who gives a fuck?
this very much. The general public doesnt care as much about fuel economy unless gas prices are high. once the gas bubble popped, out came the hummers and panther line from their hibernation

>european gallons are different from US gallons
>you actually get like 55mpg in US standards

>>panther body
>>I like to pretend I'm a cop
Lincolns and GM's were never used by cops. and nobody drives a car to look like a livery cab.

that said, panthers are the only V8 landbarges left in the US since they stopped production so late. The Vic and Towncar only ended production on 2011, compared to most landboats, which phased out in the 90's as the panther line took over their marketshare.

and so if people want a cheap, easy to maintain landbarge, well, panthers are unbeatable because theyve been proven unbreakable by cops and taxis who ride them hard. most ex-taxis and ex-cop cars still get snatched up with over 200k miles and will still work for another 200k.

when the platform's lasted over 30 years, with constant upgrades over time, that means something

those old people have good taste. landbarges are Classic Americana. what do you drive?