Mechanics help thread

So I just bought a 95 honda accord v6 for 300$ at an auction. Description said it had a blown head gasket, so I thought it would be an easy fix (relatively).

The Crankshaft wont turn for shit even with a 4ft breaker bar. I also tried My impact wrench at 160psi didn't do it either.

When I finally took the head off, most of the cylinders were filled with water/coolant. It must have sat like that for months. The oxidation is so bad that I'm not sure I should even continue and just part it out.

What do you guys think? Getting the block and pistons rehoned would be wayyy to much of an investment. Can you guys recommend me some shit for rust? And even if i do get the pistons moving, would it even work properly anymore? :/

Here's the gasket

Scrap it. Unless you genuinely love the car and want to pour what most people would agree is an unholy amount for a 95 accord, it's not worth it. Get what you can for the parts, and pray you make some of your money back.

Was the block cracked?

Either way I wouldn't sink a thin dime into that engine. Parting it out will at least salvage some of your initial investment. Good luck user

Jesus Crust, that's toast.

Block is fine from what I can tell.

Car itself is in pretty good condition. Was going to remill the heads + new gaskets for about 400$.

Then maybe sell for 1200$, I'll be lucky to get maybe 700$ from a salvage yard though.

why not swap the engine for a good one
how much is an engine at the pick and pull

Couldn't find a c27a v6. Nobody really wants them since they get 17/21mpg. Fucking horrible.

I'm not sure if I could drop in a 4 cylinder engine. But then I'd have to replace the tranny aswell. Probably 1000$ + multiple dozens of hours of wrench time.

are you kidding? i bet there are a few in my yards
not any on the roads for sure

Pull a motor from a junkyard. Should be like 120 - 180 at most since you have the original to negate the core charge. Local pick and pull, engine is 130 + 40 for the core, for any engine, even if it's got 100 cylinders. Transmissions are about the same, a little less. You only got 300 in the car right now, spend an extra 130 for a new motor, and do the machining/reconditioning on that one.

shes dicked, its a old fuckin Honda engine. find a used one and swap it in, way less time than rebuilding that engine because water has pooled in that thing for months

dont expect to make money flipping the thing, try maybe selling it as a parts car for $400 worst case and make your $100

Even if you could free it up, I'd be worried about how much damage is going on that you can't see.

I used to work a scrapyard type place, and engines like that we would put into a tank completely filled with penetrating spray and let them sit in there for months. Sometimes even then they wouldn't move.

I'd really look around for a junkyard engine.

>he fell for the le just a headgasket meme
>he thought that a blown headgasket is always an easy fix

>impact on the crankshaft

ripip

Some guy at our workshop once used that to adjust the lights on a VW. The results were hillariously bad.

Put diesel in the cylinders and leave it overnight until the pistons free up

wow
wow
wow

A guy at our place decided he would use a fucking 1/2" Milwaukee impact wrench out of one of the site fitters vans to tight various parts on his track bike. Instantly snapped two (because he didn't think once was enough) rear sprocket bolts.

He's not too bright.

>buys car with engine completely fucked and wants to try fixing it, when it's clearly beyond repair at this point, or at least what it's worth repairing
>using impact gun on the crankshaft
>co-workers use impact to adjust headlights
do you literally work at an autist mechanic shop?

I'm not OP. I just like to share that story whenever impact gun stupidity comes up.

If at first you dont succeed... But some morons really shouldn't have a gun.

I was desperate. Also it's was already ript so I didn't even matter.

Thanks for you help m8s. Local salvage says he'd give me 600$. So that's a 300$ profit.

Who's laughing now?

Four star post nigga

Just buy a used longblock and swap it in

Just swap an ls1 all you need is $500 and a weekend

if you're just in it for morbod curiosity them maybe chuck some vinegar down the bores. let it soak for a week or two, wash it all out with clean water and let it dry, then use some wd40/marvel mystery oil, let it sit another week, then try again.

While using an impact can work with some finesse/expertise the risk far outweighs any time/labor you'll save by doing it.

I've seen veteran mechanics turn a 3-2 hour timing belt job into a multiday engine job because they didn't wanna spend the 40 minutes removing the crank pulley bolt properly. You ain't gaming the system. Theres a reason we tell customers its a 6hr/day job when its 3 hours tops, its because LITERALLY everything can go wrong with a timing belt job, and you don't need to help it along by doing something dumb.

t. mechanic who has done dumb stuff and lived to tell

well ya paid 300$, you can probably get that at the crusher. Unless the paint, suspension, trans and bearings are good,(no way to know bout the last 2 if it aint running), you should crush it.

However, if everything else seems fine and mediocre mileage, you could swap a motor.

And yea, as others are saying, even if you can hone and save the block, thatd be so much more expensive than a new motor. Cylinder bore honing, easy 300$. Head shaving and head cleaning, probably another 300. Then rebuilding the heads, maybe 300-500 in parts? valves, valve springs...Might even need 4 new cams, or at least bearings.

And a rotating assembly, not sure how much that goes for for these motors, probably over 1000$ for a good one. I mean, unless the block is savable and you wanna build it to the gills for FI, scrap it! You could even crush it and sell some things like the cams/heads, trans, suspension parts, interior stuff, so on. Hell, if the A/C works thats probably worth more than the rest.

What the fuck did you think it was going to look like? This is exactly the failure mode caused by a bad head gasket. The other option is spun bearings and chattering pistons as the coolant contaminates the oil. Either way, head gasket failure means the engine is trash.

U wot m8. Most cars with bad headgaskets ( that still run). Are easily fixed with some new gaskets and head machining.

I've flipped 4 of them and gotten 600$ profit most times.

my current DD (99 celica) had a bad gasket and I was able to get it off the guy for 700$. And it's clean as hell.

My only mistake was buying a car that didn't run (even momentarily)

Lesson learned.

That's fucked mate. Bores will be rooted, so will the pistons and rings. Probably won't even be able to get the rings off the pistons. Into the trash it goes.

You can but you'll need to make custom mounts.

The v6 for 95-97 has a longer chassis than the 4cyl (F22) variants just to fit the engine.

This user is going the right direction. I've had engines like that before and fuckered with them for a while and got them spinning and put back together and kicked em down the road.

How do you feel about turning it over with a breaker bar on the bolt. It worked really well for me but I was very hesitant to try it.

If you really weren't ready for the chance that your $300 auction car might need work, then yes that was a mistake.

You could have the car running and driving for $800 all told.

Just put in a god damn junkyard engine and move on. Worst case: $1600 car.

This

How fucking retarded are you that you fuck up timing belt jobs?

>impact on the crankshaft

I did that on a Briggs and Stratton once, with predictable results.

Snapped it??

My thing won't fucking budge

soak it in WD 40 overnight

This actually happens alot with accords. If you sold literally every working part of it, you could turn a tidy profit. People who go to these auctions want to flip working cars, not completely scrap it for parts.

If you're just flipping the car for easy cash you fucked up. If we're wanted to keep it you could get an engine from a scrapper and swap it in, but in reality you'll never get what you've got into it at that point. Cut the cat out and sell it to a place that recycles them. Sell the rest as scrap metal place.

>Local salvage says he'd give me 600$.
Around here it's $100 to $150 tops.

We had an user on /diy/ telling us how he freed up a stuck engine.

>Poured gas over it
>Lit it
>Heat freed it up enough to move

It was a cast iron block though.

How about you buy an engine from a junkyard and swap it out?

Here's a tip - blown head gasket in non-professional terms means the block is completely fucked and that's a hard enough thing to do that they assume nobody without real knowledge of engines would consider salvaging it.

>head gaskets are hard

Is this just a meme here, or are you spastics really that incapable?

That's not true user. Your can buy a car with a blown head gasket that still runs and blows white smoke out the exhaust.

The problem with this car, was that they drove the fucking thing with a blown gasket for who knows how long before the thing finally broke down. Then they let it sit for months, causing corrosion in the engine.

Why do you speak about this when you don't know shit about anything?

>Why do you speak about this when you don't know shit about anything?

>replaces headgasket
>boom.gif

engine swap it. its seized. go to a jap car wreckers and get another import motor with lower miles/kilometers not worth thetime or effort to unseize a japnese car engine anymore. because by the time you have done that the rebuild etc will be more than buying a used engine.

what?

I worked in a dealership setting shop for ~7 years and nobody EVER removed a crank pulley/harmonic balancer the proper way.

I've taken off maybe ~10 harmonic balancers in my time, always gunned them off and gunned them on. Hack mechanic? I don't think so, but opinions vary.

Never gunned on a flex plate/flywheel though, always torqued those fuckers to spec.

I'm not saying that's what it actually means, I'm saying that's how people use it on places like craigslist. They find out that there's a blown headgasket and, rather than figuring out what caused the horrible overheating and the multitude of other problems with the car that led to this point, they say 'easy fix' and toss it out there.

This. Buy the engine and trans at the same time. You can literally swap an engine in/out of a honda and have it running over a weekend of half assed mechanical work.

Most mechanics are hacks, what a surprise.

flat rate sempai